• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I would buy the Castlevania 2 one again since it was the only one I had a kid that I can remember. Still why!

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it's morphin' time

e311e22444b106743c24c53ff763d6be.jpg

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for all of those except for Sonic. I still have an old Castlevania handheld and a Blades of Steel one somewhere.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'd rather eat bark from a tree than "play" any of those

i'm barely being facetious here. that shit suuuucked

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Oh my god WHY!?

I'm having traumatic memories just thinking about them! Shit was hooooorrible even back then! I can't imagine a single human even has fond memories for those! 😖😖

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I'm the audience for your garbage throwback video game bullshit and even I won't buy this junk.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
My friend had this one. For the life me we could not figure out how to play it.

Hell, I think that was the case with most of those games. It's as if they were just pretending to be a game and fooling us with an elaborate illusion.

You had to use your imagination and literally fill in the blanks half the time lol! Lack of proper animation or basic movement made most of these needlessly complicated to even understand.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
These sucked, but I'd probably be dumb enough to buy the Sonic 3 one. I had a Sonic one as a kid, though I don't quite remember which one. I think you had to avoid bombs being thrown from a Coconuts badnik.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People asked for Sega to release a new game to promote alongside the movie. Here it is.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
There's a point where these companies reach too far for that gaming nostalgia itch. This is that point. These things are crap.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I had a couple but I think I liked the Marble Madness one the best

Best among trash though, once I saw a gameboy I never touched these again.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They sucked back in the day. They were only played for lack of options. Which is why Ibplayer the hell out of the TMNT one.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These things were always terrible.

The Sonic 3 in OP was the only version of Sonic I owned until the Dreamcast came along.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If they release the Jurassic Park one, I'm in. It's the only one I remember, although I think I had 2 or 3 others.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Man, these were terrible. I spent so much time trying to play these.

Should've been some phone app type thing.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Cool, I still have my Sonic 1, 2 and Underground ones from back in the day so I'd be in the market for this. Curious why they are saying they are "inspired" by the originals though, some of the parts they used are likely not being produced any more but I don't see why these would be anything less than 100% accurate reprints.

OP
OP
CyberWolfBia

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
They re-releasing these handhelds is not a big surprise for me.. there's nostalgia for anything and I'm sure even for those things.. but getting to re-release Sonic 3 is beyond funny.

Transformers I believe is Hasbro owned and Disney is cool licensing their IPs lately (Little Mermaid and X-Men),.. but SEGA having such a hard time to re-release the real Sonic 3 and they make this deal lol.

in fact, I'm not even sure how these were made back then, since SEGA had their own handheld at the time :T

nded

Nov 14, 2017
These were the absolute peak of disappointing gifts from your grandparents. Those "99-in-1" LCD Tetris knockoffs were much better.

hypostatic

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I don't get why this is getting as much hate as it is--they're targeted to a specific, nostalgic audience.. I grew up playing these and have fond memories of them. I'll be buying the Sonic and X-Men versions for my kids.

Nathan

Oct 27, 2017
I have major nostalgia for these, because my parents let me have these before I was allowed to own any "real" video games - first was a GameBoy years later. I definitely had the Sonic 3 one, which I remember being especially bad compared to some of the others I owned. I remember thinking the design of Sonic in the Sonic 2 one was very cute and cool looking, while the design in Sonic 3 looked gangly and awkward and dumb. And having to press a button to "Pick" rings up is ridiculous! Come on!

I'll probably still buy the re-issued Sonic 3 to revisit it.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Why are they just rereleasing these pieces of garbage? Why not create actual games with more than 3 fps. Take the game ideas, turn them into actual games with real color lcd screens and sell those. Have actual animations and shit. dont just rerelease this garbage.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the market for these? Surely someone nostalgic for these can just get one on ebay for likely the same price new, if it's just a replica then what's the point? They weren't super fun or classics like some Game and Watch titles.

When I read the news I thought it'd be a handheld that would have a bunch of tiger releases in a collection, now that would've had some type of appeal, but this? It's priced way too high for what it is.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
You know, while these games are generally terrible, I legitimately wish Parker Brothers would re-release the Jumanji LCD game, because it was actually pretty awesome. I'd describe it as a party-based RPG of sorts that uses dice and items for battles. It also has various mini-games built in. It's pretty ambitious when you consider the format.