• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So it really is the end of an era. Hopefully Toei works independently going forward and release Sentai themselves (and more Kamen Rider).
I am curious what Hasbro has planned going forward. Fully animated, hopefully some form of live-action?
They're preparing a new live action tv series targeting an older audience that's also supposed to tie-in with future movies. That was announced months ago. Hasbro's new investor's report also mentions animation though. So that's probably where the kid focused shows are going.

Another top priority for us is POWER RANGERS. And I'm excited to say that this brand is about to enter a new era. We're creating a new POWERRANGERS universe for a broader audience across film, premium TV, animation and kids content. And to architect this universe, we've engaged with the highly sought after show runner, Jonathan Entwistle, known for the hit series on Netflix, The End of the (expletive) World. Entwistle has a greatpassion for POWER RANGERS. This will be a complete reinvention, and we're hoping to spark new interest in the storied propriety.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An animated Power Rangers would probably be better anyway. Crazier fight choreography, more fluid Zords, maybe even non-human Rangers that aren't people in silly looking rubber suits.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok yeah, this sounds like it isn't any real news.

This reminds me of the thread a while back about the same rumor, and that one ended up being nothing too.

I'm sure Hasbro doesn't want to be tied down to only using Sentai footage, but I can't imagine them cutting all ties with Toei. Even if the agreement is just rights to use older costumes and zords in new media. Like does Hasbro need to have an agreement with them for the Boom comics, since they use Toei costume designs? I assume so, and I don't see Hasbro burning that bridge to a point that it prevents them from using MMPR.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My bad guys, I didn't know that this site wasn't reliable, I've got back only very recently into PR. I'll update it and ask a mod to change the title.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've updated the OP with some quotes from the Investor Event. I've also reported it for a mod to change the title. Maybe NeonZ could get on that ?

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Not sure what an HD remaster will solve when everything was filmed for CRTs. It's going to look like shit regardless.
Well, even ignoring the substantial increase in resolution, it wouldn't look like it wasn't scanned in using a TV camera and mastered at 60i, because that ghosting and interlacing is a pain to watch on modern screens.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Based on how Hasbro has been going with their own properties (such as Transformers and G.I. Joe) doing things on the cheap. I'm not exactly encouraged....

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
End of an era, one that I was there for Day 1.

I'm not shocked, either. I know which way the wind has been blowing for several years. I'll be interested to see how the franchise is going to continue, though I'm expecting a heavy re-emphasis on original MMPR.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
MMPR Cartoon that leads into what the comics are doing please.

They're preparing a new live action tv series targeting an older audience that's also supposed to tie-in with future movies. That was announced months ago. Hasbro's new investor's report also mentions animation though. So that's probably where the kid focused shows are going.

Now THIS I can get behind.

Wait the End of The Fucking World guy. OK Im very interested.

So they're going to have to design all their own Rangers suits, Zords, Monsters, Villains, and Weapons

And film all the fighting themselves

Either they're going to vastly increase the budget or everything is going to look extra cheap
The Adult one is more than likely going to be MMPR so designs are mostly done.

Last edited:

MattXIII

Oct 28, 2017
My eldest is into Power Rangers currently (interests change so frequently at their age) and I watched some Beast Morphers with him and dam that shit is sad. Decent cast but the writing 😓

is their a reason they haven't gone full CG? at this point, surely it's cheaper than live action.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My eldest is into Power Rangers currently (interests change so frequently at their age) and I watched some Beast Morphers with him and dam that shit is sad. Decent cast but the writing 😓

is their a reason they haven't gone full CG? at this point, surely it's cheaper than live action.
If you want to find good power rangers series for him, you can look through my previous thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/are-there-any-must-watch-power-ranger-series.384605/

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why invest so much into a franchise that is primarily known for sucking, instead of making a new franchise?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why invest so much into a franchise that is primarily known for sucking, instead of making a new franchise?

It's still a reasonable money maker to my absolute shock and horror, and we're gearing up for the 90s nostalgia boom.

That's why Beast Wars came back this year.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Because it reuses props and footage from an existing Japanese tv series, so it ends up very cheap overall. This new project indicates they will be investing much more though.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An animated Power Rangers would probably be better anyway. Crazier fight choreography, more fluid Zords, maybe even non-human Rangers that aren't people in silly looking rubber suits.
To stay cheap they would go 3D animated I'm sure, a la Mega Man: Fully Charged.

So now the humans will be the ones looking like silly rubber :v

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Trying to turn a property like the Power Rangers into a brand like Fiege's Marvel?

EDIT - It feels a little soon to be talking so confidently about Power Rangers as a franchise when the Lionsgate film that bombed so horribly was only released in 2017.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Ew, a completely American-made PR show? There's a pretty high chance they're going to miss the mark with this.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They mentioned nothing of an older audience aimed series, where is that?
That's supposedly what Jonathan Entwistle is creating. Maybe not adult per see, I'd expect something along the lines of the Arrowverse and Riverdale in terms of tone/target audience/quality, but there's nothing official as of now.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested in what they could do with an animated series. With solid animation and voice talent you could make a pretty good action show. If it follows the comics, or even has a similar tone it could be pretty good.

A more "mature" live action show sounds harder to do. I liked the overall tone of the last movie way more then I thought I would, but the budget costs would probably be really high. The worry would be that it becomes some kind of CW esque melodrama, which could actually work with good writing, but would probably turn a lot of people away.

It's still a reasonable money maker to my absolute shock and horror, and we're gearing up for the 90s nostalgia boom.

That's why Beast Wars came back this year.

Wait Beast Wars is coming back? I'm not a huge sucker for nostalgia, but that is pretty much the only Transformers show I watched growing up. That's kind of cool to hear.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in what they could do with an animated series. With solid animation and voice talent you could make a pretty good action show. If it follows the comics, or even has a similar tone it could be pretty good.

A more "mature" live action show sounds harder to do. I liked the overall tone of the last movie way more then I thought I would, but the budget costs would probably be really high. The worry would be that it becomes some kind of CW esque melodrama, which could actually work with good writing, but would probably turn a lot of people away.

Wait Beast Wars is coming back? I'm not a huge sucker for nostalgia, but that is pretty much the only Transformers show I watched growing up. That's kind of cool to hear.

New comic by IDW set in its own continuity. First issue came out this month and it's starting from the same spot as the cartoon did (albeit showing the actual theft of the artifact that motivated the Maximals into chasing the Predacons through time) with one new female Transformer each on either side.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
New comic by IDW set in its own continuity. First issue came out this month and it's starting from the same spot as the cartoon did (albeit showing the actual theft of the artifact that motivated the Maximals into chasing the Predacons through time) with one new female Transformer each on either side.

That's really cool, thanks for telling me. I might have to check this out.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
That's supposedly what Jonathan Entwistle is creating. Maybe not adult per see, I'd expect something along the lines of the Arrowverse and Riverdale in terms of tone/target audience/quality, but there's nothing official as of now.

The first two things that popped into my head for tone/theme/etc... were Netflix's Sabrina (if live action) and Castlevania (if animated).

I haven't watched PR stuff in over a decade, but this has me a bit interested if it takes that sort of direction.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

which comic is this? I only see the ones by boom.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The first two things that popped into my head for tone/theme/etc... were Netflix's Sabrina (if live action) and Castlevania (if animated).

I haven't watched PR stuff in over a decade, but this has me a bit interested if it takes that sort of direction.
Sabrina falls in that category as well for live action series, yeah!
I just wouldn't want a grim dark/too serious take on the PR I think, but that might actually work as well?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say that Dino Fury is off to a very good start. It feels modern, it's not talking down to people, the world acknowledges rangers, and the music and morph are really good.