• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks to Seraphis Cain , JonnyDBrit and NeonZ for bringing this to my attention, so Toei is actually never mentioned at all.

source: https://investor.hasbro.com/static-files/de97af26-93c3-4bfe-92d6-fbc9e0196fe1

Another top priority for us is POWER RANGERS. And I'm excited to say that this brand is about to enter a new era. We're creating a new POWER RANGERS universe for a broader audience across film, premium TV, animation and kids content. And to architect this universe, we've engaged with the highly sought after show runner, Jonathan Entwistle, known for the hit series on Netflix, The End of the (expletive) World. Entwistle has a great passion for POWER RANGERS. This will be a complete reinvention, and we're hoping to spark new interest in the storied property

Toys are of course not forgotten:
Additionally, new entertainment for POWER RANGERS will set up a new storytelling universe to fully leverage a wide variety of product categories.

Hasbro seems to really want to push Power Rangers forward, here's a quote from Chairman and CEO Brian D. Goldner
But clearly, as owned and operated brands, they have immense opportunity, and that includes an array of brands like POWER RANGERS and DUNGEONS & DRAGONS.

Old OP (again, sorry for the mistake):

Old rumour thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-hasbro-to-end-partnership-with-toei-for-power-rangers.244069/

And now it's official (source: https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2021/02/25/hasbro-reinventing-power-rangers/ )

Hasbro has confirmed their plans to reinvent the Power Rangers franchise after Power Rangers Dino Fury with a new era that will be "creating a new universe for a broader audience across film, premium TV, animation & kids content" at their recent Investor Event.

We previously reported back in July of last year that Hasbro will be ending their partnership with Toei, the makers of the Super Sentai series, for Power Rangers. We also reported on the development of a new theatrical film in development over at Paramount. This would conclude the current iteration of the Power Rangers series as it has been for 28 years with Power Rangers Dino Fury, which was officially confirmed to have two seasons according to the Hasbro Investor Event.

What's most intriguing:
Further expressed is the fact that Jonathan Entwistle will be taking over the franchise as the Kevin Feige-type figure for the expanded universe. This was confirmed by The Hollywood Reporter back in October of last year.

I wonder if the success of the BOOM! Comics has something to do with this, as they are a big departure from traditional PR storytelling and Hasbro wants to have the same kind of creative freedom from now on.

In any case, it's the end of an era.

Last edited:

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they literally just got handed the Power Ranger licence. What happens to legacy stuff going forward then? Are they just not doing it anymore? Granted there's only so many times you can re-release the Green Ranger.

OP
OP
Kwigo

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they literally just got handed the Power Ranger licence. What happens to legacy stuff going forward then? Are they just not doing it anymore? Granted there's only so many times you can re-release the Green Ranger.
They retain rights to any prior series and depictions of Super Sentai they've used, apparently. So we'll continue seeing them milk Mighty Morphin in any case.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Pretty crazy, hopefully it works out for the better for everyone.

I wonder if the next show will follow comics or share any lore with the old shows in any way or be totally separate and a full franchise reboot.

Has Jonathan Entwistle done anything PR before, I did a quick google and don't recognize anything from him?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So they're going to have to design all their own Rangers suits, Zords, Monsters, Villains, and Weapons

And film all the fighting themselves

Either they're going to vastly increase the budget or everything is going to look extra cheap

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RIP folks hoping for a Kyuranger adaptation...
So they're going to have to design all their own Rangers suits, Zords, Monsters, Villains, and Weapons

Either they're going to vastly increase the budget or everything is going to look extra cheap
Wouldn't be surprised if they just go animated from here on out.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
As long as it don't fuck with the comics we good. That shit is TCW levels of good. I periodically post threads about how good it is.

I'd love some animated comic style PR shows.

Also the new season does have some comic shit in it.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wish I didn't look up Jonathan Entwistle because I discovered 'I am Not Okay With This' got cancelled. That was such a damn good show but it's made me excited to see what he'll do with PR.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Glad they finally confirmed this. REALLY curious how this will go in the future. I suspect a MMPR Reboot is happening for TV then if they want to make the universe work better.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
A shame they didn't give the movie another chance. Seemed like outside of designs people ended up liking that a lot more than expected. Just got bogged down by the marketing being way too Michael Bay inspired. Since I'm imagining they'll just reboot again if they do another film.

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
I'll place my bet on Netflix's Machinema OG Solar ranger series.

That shit hurt my soul to type out.

FUCK.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldnt shock me if they nuke MOTW and just give way more heavy focus on footsoilders/Generals and big bad.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
They retain rights to any prior series and depictions of Super Sentai they've used, apparently. So we'll continue seeing them milk Mighty Morphin in any case.
I hope Toei drags them to court and takes away those rights. I can see them keeping distribution rights for existing PR season but they should not be allowed to produce any new content using sentai designs or hold old sentai seasons hostage (it was Hasbro who stopped the Shout Factory sentai DVDs). Fuck Hasbro.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Edit: ok it was answered
One question .

Are they allowed to use the mighty morphin power rangers suits ? Or will the power rangers look nothing like the power rangers now ?

Also this has to be a huge financial blow for toei and super sentai .

Wasn't super sentai about to be canceled a couple times the last few years ? The toy sales are really bad for the last seasons especially the one with the 3 police and 3 thieves season . Lupinranger vs. patoranger

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
...I am sad we don't get a Kyuranger adaptation

Uchu-Sentai-Kyuranger.jpg

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean hasbro is out but somebody else could jump in and continue with toei. They wouldn't be called power rangers but other than that adaptions could continue iam sure .

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean hasbro is out but somebody else could jump in and continue with toei. They wouldn't be called power rangers but other than that adaptions could continue iam sure .

I dunno why Toei doesn't just do it themselves. I'm sure a lot of people would be pretty happy with officially subtitled or dubbed seasons of Super Sentai, something I assume we've never actually had because of Hasbro or Saban. There's like 20+ seasons of that shit they could just throw on Netflix.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I dunno why Toei doesn't just do it themselves. I'm sure a lot of people would be pretty happy with officially subtitled or dubbed seasons of Super Sentai, something I assume we've never actually had because of Hasbro or Saban. There's like 20+ seasons of that shit they could just throw on Netflix.
that would be perfect. The stories in super sentai are much better most of the times.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Power Rangers in in a weird place.

I don't think they need to break the bank on a reboot, but moving towards the fine if the comics may help.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Man if that means they're gonna start doing adaptations of the Boom! Comics, then I can't fucking wait. Omega Rangers or 1960s Rangers series when dammit

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
My first mind is that it's going to be treating MMPR like Transformers G1 - the foundation from which to infinitely remix things.

More broadly, I suspect at this particular it's a reflection of Sentai's own domestic situation and Hasbro, being its own toy company, not feeling the need to be anchored to it like Saban was. Why wait to see if Zenkaiger's toys sell, or continue trying to figure out how to sell for previous series that didn't, when they can pump out their own instead?

Oct 25, 2017
If this does mean animated or orginal seasons I wouldn't be surprised if the whole franchise just turns into MMPR
Edit ^^^^ lol

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I hope Toei drags them to court and takes away those rights. I can see them keeping distribution rights for existing PR season but they should not be allowed to produce any new content using sentai designs or hold old sentai seasons hostage (it was Hasbro who stopped the Shout Factory sentai DVDs). Fuck Hasbro.
Hasbro already bought Bandai's Western rights. They had exclusive merch rights for Sentai/Power Rangers. I don't know if they actually can use the old costumes on screen without running into problems with Toei, but it should be no issue for comics, games and general merch since they have the merchandising rights.

Wasn't super sentai about to be canceled a couple times the last few years ? The toy sales are really bad for the last seasons especially the one with the 3 police and 3 thieves season . Lupinranger vs. patoranger
We just got an interview with producer Shirakura where he confirmed Sentai recently has gone through budget cuts. As far as sales goes, Bandai sold their Power Rangers license a few years ago, so the Power Rangers number hasn't been included for a while. Toei still gets licensing money, but we don't get their financial numbers like we do with Bandai.

Last edited:

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Pretty crazy, hopefully it works out for the better for everyone.

I wonder if the next show will follow comics or share any lore with the old shows in any way or be totally separate and a full franchise reboot.

Has Jonathan Entwistle done anything PR before, I did a quick google and don't recognize anything from him?
Honestly the boom comics have been better than almost every incarnation of the power rangers.

And this is coming from a massive power ranger fan. It's a phenomenal story and to have it all play out with shattered grid would be awesome.
They keep releasing them and i will keep buying them.

My nostalgia for MMPR knows no bounds. It's that way with the 80s/90s TMNT line as well. It and the live action lines are the only ones i will touch. Granted, i do own stuff outside of MMPR but i will eat up those Green/White ranger toys all day everyday breakfast, lunch and dinner.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Does this mean Sentai is free? Hopefully we can get new Sentai releases then!

Unless Hasbro keeps the old series rights and keeps being a dick about it...

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
What is the good power rangers comic? The one based on the original rangers I think?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
What is the good power rangers comic? The one based on the original rangers I think?
They're all pretty much good. Go go and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers were the main series. Go go is over, and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers has split into "Mighty Morphin" and "Power Rangers"

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
They're all pretty much good. Go go and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers were the main series. Go go is over, and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers has split into "Mighty Morphin" and "Power Rangers"
Ah dang. Are there compilations out there? I'm confused is go go the same rangers as mighty morphin power rangers?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Ah dang. Are there compilations out there? I'm confused is go go the same rangers as mighty morphin power rangers?
Go go is the original five before Tommy joined. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is immediately after Tommy joins.

Therrr are volumes for each series. There's also a year one and year two compilation of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers that collects a lot of the issues into a hardback book. I'm not sure if either versions are still available though. You might pay a premium to get either year.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

They've been doing that for a while in the comics.

The Omega and Solar Rangers are extremely solid designs

Oct 25, 2017
So it really is the end of an era. Hopefully Toei works independently going forward and release Sentai themselves (and more Kamen Rider).
I am curious what Hasbro has planned going forward. Fully animated, hopefully some form of live-action?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Umm, yall this doesn't confirm hasbro is severing ties with Toei. All they said in the investor meeting is that they plan on reinventing the franchise. That could mean that the movie, new series, and current series exist simultaneously for different audiences.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Umm, yall this doesn't confirm hasbro is severing ties with Toei. All they said in the investor meeting is that they plan on reinventing the franchise. That could mean that the movie, new series, and current series exist simultaneously for different audiences.

*goes to transcript*
Son of a-

Yeah, no mention of Toei at all, it's just the site taking that omission as 'confirmation'

Misleading, damn it

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
...I am sad we don't get a Kyuranger adaptation

Uchu-Sentai-Kyuranger.jpg

Me too, but it probably wouldve sucked anyway, lets be real. I hope they learn how to make something that appeals to their older fans as well as kids, similar to how Marvel does their movies/shows. I know it wont be anywhere near the Marvel level, but atleast they are trying something new here.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I'm okay with this. Power Rangers has been butchering the Sentai for years. What they did to Goseiger/Gokaiger should be thought of as a war crime.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
*goes to transcript*
Son of a-

Yeah, no mention of Toei at all, it's just the site taking that omission as 'confirmation'

Misleading, damn it

Me:

*doesn't read the OP*
*gets to this post*

Wait, is it fucking Illuminerdi again?

Oh god dammit it is. They're the ones who started this whole rumor in the first place. They were also banned as a source from the PR subreddit. They're also the ones who reported that Mahershala Ali was offered the role as Joel in the Last of Us show, which was immediately debunked by the producers.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

We actually were getting subbed Sentai through Shout Factory for a bit, including shows that pre-dated PR.