• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Mac didn't make it into MK11. It puts me into a position where I gotta start experimenting with multiple characters rather than jump straight to my favorite. There is something refreshing about that, at least.

Both have unique powers and abilities.

The ones I've mentioned are copies of existing characters aka irrelevant.

Jacqui and Cassie have unique abilities that ain't nothing like Sonya, Johnny or Jax. Jacqui is one of the most unique characters in the game.

And you can't just come in here trashing on characters but then start demanding Rain. That's not how things work. Fucking Rain of all people. Discount Raiden palette swap ninja. Whoopsie daisy.

rokninja

Oct 27, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Yes. Rose isn't in SFV. And it sucks. =(

Finally found characters that gel with me though so as usual, I got over it... but still, I miss Rose, even if everyone else hated her by the end of USFIV.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lei in Tekken. Was in utter shock, but at least he's back. And I'm probably partly to blame for him being dropped because I haven't played a tekken properly since Tag

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
Jun Kazama and Michelle Chang haven't appeared in any of the Tekken games since Tekken 2 except the Tekken Tag Tournament series. They were my mains back in the day. I know there's Asuka and Julia but it's not the same thing to me.

Siggy

Dec 12, 2017
Nope. The chance of characters disappearing affects my choice of main, actually. I know it's not fully predictable, but I can be fairly certain that Noctis will not be back in a future Tekken game while it's unlikely Nina will just peace out. Both of those could still happen, but at vastly different probabilities.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
I always play a different character in every iteration of a Fighting Game, makes it easy for me to jump back to the game in 1 min or so. Also most of the time the game system will make the same character feel way to different. Also I don't just play one character, I play several.

But I been lucky enough not to fall into the "I have my MAIN and if he/she isn't in it, then I'm not playing the game" philosophy, I just play with all the characters and pick the one I'm enjoying the most in that Iteration of the game.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I played Nightwing in Injustice 1 so him not being in Injustice 2 was pretty disappointing. NRS seems to do this a lot huh.

The thing that really sucks is that he kind of was in Injustice 2, but locked behind lootboxes. Robin had a "Staff of Grayson" ability that replaces his sword and makes him play much more like Nightwing. Dumped 200+ hours into IJ2 between regular play and AI grinding, and I never got it.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
As for the OP's question, kinda. I'm too flighty and hard to keep interested to stick to one main, so it's rare that all of my characters would ever be taken out.

Nearly happened with Tekken 7 though. Most played characters in Tag 2 and 6 were Yoshimitsu, Kuma, Lei, Roger, Wang, and Ganryu (also Jinpachi and Ogre in Tag 2, but I didn't expect them back). Ended up losing all but Yoshimitsu and Kuma, with Lei being $6 later down the line. Between that, feeling tired/unwelcome in the community, and several other deficiencies/frustrations with the game and series' direction, I decided not to get it. Just made up my mind a month or so before release, despite following the development closely since its reveal three years prior. Two season passes later and I've got no ragrets, though I might be persuaded to change my mind if Roger or Alex show up in a prospective season pass 3.

Also, lost Lizardman in Soul Calibur VI, but I'm hopeful he'll be in as DLC thanks to datamining. Half lost him in SCV too, as when he became Aeon, he was merged with the leftovers of Kratos from Broken Destiny, and became a heavier character I didn't really enjoy playing. Gravitated to Patroklos instead.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Wolverine. Though I've never really played MvCI. Oh yeah and I guess I lost Young Link in Brawl and Smash 4 but I was mostly fine with using regular Link or Toon Link. On the subject of Link, I know this doesn't really count since he was a guest character but I wish he was in more Soul Calibur games.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In MK9 I mained Mileena and Smoke. In X I mained Mileena, Reptile and Tanya. In Soul Calibur 4, I mained Hilde. Viola in 5.

Yeah...

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Roy was my main for Melee. Removed from Brawl. I was disappointed but Marth was similar enough. So I mained Marth for Brawl and Smash 4.

By the time the Smash 4 Roy DLC (or Smash Ultimate) arrived, I had already tuned my style to Marth, so it was tricky going back. On top of that, Marth is superior in the meta, demotivating me further to re-main Roy.

So while I still consider Roy my main in spirit, I actually play as Marth.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I lost Jin Saotome, Cyclops, Gambit, Sabertooth, Silver Samurai, Juggernaut, and Rogue going into Marvel vs Capcom 3 and beyond. My ENTIRE "A team", "B team" and secondaries were gone.

Fuck whoever did that shit.

Played Sean and Q from 3rd Strike and they both gone since that game as well. Capcom just don't like me I guess
Sean in 3rd strike? Well ill at least gove you props for supporting underdogs.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Many times.

It sucks, particularly in games where characters are visually redesigned and I'm looking forward to seeing how they would look. I'd rather not have them back if they don't fit the new title or clearly hit a wall in the design of them though.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
I mained Phoenix Wright in UMVC3 since Day 1 and losing him in MVCI really hurt. I also mained Frank so I'm lucky he came back but it just wasnt the same. Those two were my boys!!

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
No reptile in MK11 seems like a glaring omission. I thought Rain was heavily speculated to be in the game? That's unfortunate that he isn't.

Jade wasn't in X but now she's back in 11. She looks great too, like her best design ever. But I can't be fucked to play a fighting game atm.

OP
OP
Dinobot

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
MK9 had all the robots I likes and all the ninjas I liked. That klassic kostume ninja pack was amazing. Hit all the right buttons for me. I put so many hours into that game.

I'm hoping the dlc data mines are all leaks or NRS intentionally misleading so my boy can be in the game.

Aug 1, 2018
Baek in Tekken. He was my main in Tekken 2 and Tekken Tag Tournament, and then they dropped him. Then they brought him back for a couple of games and then they dropped him again in Tekken 7. :/

I've had to make due with Hwoarang

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
Smash for Wii U

When they decided to take wolf out and replace him with what felt like 10 fire emblem characters as DLC made me furious. So much so I sold my Wii U the week after the last of the DLC characters were revealed.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I usually don't have an issue with this since I tend towards the more popular characters, yet it happened to me in SCV. I usually use Sophitia, Taki, Talim and Voldo in matches. Only Voldo remained in V. Sure there was Pyrrha and Natsu for the first two, but they were pale imitations (and the former was really annoying. Her brother takes the cake of worst protagonist though).

Honestly, SCV is probably the poster child of losing beloved characters and replacing them with poor substitutes.

This guy gets it. Li Long has an interesting storyline while Maxi can't get stop going after Astaroth every single game. Screw that Elvis wannabe.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I usually don't have an issue with this since I tend towards the more popular characters, yet it happened to me in SCV. I usually use Sophitia, Taki, Talim and Voldo in matches. Only Voldo remained in V. Sure there was Pyrrha and Natsu for the first two, but they were pale imitations (and the former was really annoying. Her brother takes the cake of worst protagonist though).

Honestly, SCV is probably the poster child of losing beloved characters and replacing them with poor substitutes.

This guy gets it. Li Long has an interesting storyline while Maxi can't get stop going after Astaroth every single game. Screw that Elvis wannabe.
I miss Li...

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I was elated when Elena returned for USF4 after being absent from the mainline SF series for over a decade. Sure, the assets were ripped from SFxT, but it was great to see her animated so well in USF4, considering how stiff so much of the cast is comparatively.