• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Has Xbox taken the spot as the defacto casual console recommendation?

• Yes, I'd recommend Xbox if I was asked by a casual gaming friend right now

Votes: 1,636 43.5%
  • No, it's clearly PlayStation still

Votes: 997 26.5%
  • Nah, you're crazy, it's the switch, it's always been Nintendo and always will

Votes: 1,124 29.9%

• Total voters

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The poll results suggest not.

Will new FIFA's come to game pass on launch? I highly doubt it.

Generally new sports games have 10 hour trials on EA Play (included in Game Pass Ultimate), and you get 10% off, or wait 6 months and it's on Game Pass Ultimate. Either way, win win for FIFA fans, woo!

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I don't know. It's hard to say. I would have to ask them what they're wanting out of the system and what, if any, game franchises they love.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lol what? You literally have Minecraft, MLB, FIFA, Madden & NBA 2k in there

I'm not sure it can get more appealing to casuals.

Not even mentioning other top list games such as Destiny 2, Siege & Horizon 4

Whilst true, with the exception of MLB, those other sports titles come to Game Pass several months after their release, when they can already be picked up for really cheap. Most casuals who play those kinds of games on an annual basis, aren't really likely to wait 6-7 months before playing the latest FIFA or NBA 2K, because that's one of the few titles they purchase all year anyway, so it's not really a question of cost being the limiting factor.

Instead I think those sports games on Game Pass (with the exception of MLB as I believe that is releasing day and date) are instead likely to appeal predominantly to those who actually aren't that bothered about playing said games, and will basically just try them on Game Pass or EA Access because they're there.

Obviously EA know this too, which is why they put them on EA access so much later. They essentially sell the lion's share of copies in that first half or more of the year, and then throw them on the service when they know demand and value/cost is already dwindled.

Likewise, to the casuals who basically buy and only play games like COD (not even on GP) and FIFA all year, Game Pass actually makes less sense, as you're paying every month for that game and potentially up to £120 a year, when you could instead buy it for £15-£20 and be done with it, especially if you plan to play it all year anyway.

Game Pass instead appeals to core gamers, who basically want as much as possible to play, and don't necessarily care when or what they play, with the exception of Microsoft first party stuff which unlike third party titles, is always guaranteed day and date (unless it's PC only or PC first).

I also think we need to realise that first party games are also now tentpole casual titles. Games like Zelda, Super Mario, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Spider-Man, God of War, Uncharted 4, The Last of Us Remastered, The Last of Us Part II, Horizon Zero Dawn etc, are essentially 20m+ selling franchises now, and as such actually sell similar to some of the biggest third party games out there when looking at platform specific sales. So I don't really know why people are discounting these exclusives and only concentrating on third party games.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
You're not. I'd bet money on it.
Then you're gonna lose your money.
I would say GP is much more casual than GuiltyGear. A 300 dollar NG console with GP could be very appealing to a casual gamer. Cheap console, tons of games for not much money at all. It could very much be the defacto casual console regardless of which non casual games it doesnt get.
Well, yea. In the future the stars are aligning. Hypotheticals can go all around the spectrum; what if Ps5 digi drops as well? What if, what if what if.. this question is being asked now, and like I said earlier, it's too premature to ask that or put all that unneeded pressure on this forum with this.

Nothing against Xbox, my finger been on the buy button for an S all week.

I love when people give me theatrics at the end of their post and still wrong 😑 😆

Redirect Notice

So here's the deal...

GTAV is coming to PS5 and Series X. Both will have online. But the stand alone expanded GTA ONLINE will be exclusive to PS5 for 3 whole whopping months and will be free. PS4 gamers have been getting $1million a month up until it's launch. and it will launch before GTAV NEXT GEN hits. This was said at PS last conference if you watched.

So, Spoiler alert 🚨 youre wrong.

The only reason I mentioned this earlier was to give an example of the current gaming landscape not being a breeze for Xbox like some are trying to will into existence And for all the talk of competition, why would you want it to be?

No diss to anyone.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Switch, then PS4, then Xbox One S. I really don't think casual players care about a monthly video game subscription.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019

Well, yea. In the future the stars are aligning. Hypotheticals can go all around the spectrum; what if Ps5 digi drops as well? What if, what if what if.. this question is being asked now, and like I said earlier, it's too premature to ask that or put all that unneeded pressure on this forum with this.

I love when people give me theatrics at the end of their post and still wrong 😑 😆

Redirect Notice

So here's the deal...

GTAV is coming to PS5 and Series X. Both will have online. But the stand alone expanded GTA ONLINE will be exclusive to PS5 for 3 whole whopping months and will be free. PS4 gamers have been getting $1million a month up until it's launch. and it will launch before GTAV NEXT GEN hits. This was said at PS last conference if you watched.

The only reason I mentioned this earlier was to give an example of the current gaming landscape not being a breeze for Xbox like some are trying to will into existence And for all the talk of competition, why would you want it to be?

No diss to anyone.
PS5 and Series consoles share probably like 90 percent of the same library right now. So with GP, id say right now the Series consoles are definitely the right choice for casual gamers. And you can get ( if you are lucky) a series s for much cheaper than a PS5.

GTA is huge yeah but that game, content wise or not is still on Xbox and is not the only draw to a casual gamer. Do most casual gamers you think even know PS4 has timed GTA content? Maybe i guess.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox evangelism on this forum has gotten pretty nuts over the last 4-5 months. I'm glad you folks are enjoying what your console of choice offers, but every time I visit the gaming side, I feel like I'm being smacked in the face with same "Gamepass is awesome!" "Backwards compatibility is awesome!" "Are arrogant Sony/Nintendo in trouble?" threads on a weekly (or sometimes daily) basis. It's getting exhausting.
Maybe...people actually like the platform and services and want to discuss them on a message board... *gasp*!!!

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
PS5 and Series consoles share probably like 90 percent of the same library right now. So with GP, id say right now the Series consoles are definitely the right choice for casual gamers. And you can get ( if you are lucky) a series s for much cheaper than a PS5.

GTA is huge yeah but that game, content wise or not is still on Xbox and is not the only draw to a casual gamer. Do most casual gamers you think even know PS4 has timed GTA content? Maybe i guess.
I have no idea, but that is a good point tho. I can counter-point that by saying casuals love big blockbusters like Uncharted too.. but let's save that for another day.

I need to find a cheap Game Pass code for Outriders before my boy gets too over leveled.
How about you buy me the remaster if I'm right, I buy it if you're right.
.................................................Fuck, it deal.......
If the stand alone edition is even exclusive for one day, I win.

But, I don't want that shit, I don't like GTA😆

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
The poll should have just been Yes, No, and Depends on the person's tastes.

I don't recommend anything until I know the asker's taste.

Seventy5

Mar 14, 2020
User Banned (3 Days) - Platform Warring & Thread Whining
The Xbox evangelism on this forum has gotten pretty nuts over the last 4-5 months. I'm glad you folks are enjoying what your console of choice offers, but every time I visit the gaming side, I feel like I'm being smacked in the face with same "Gamepass is awesome!" "Backwards compatibility is awesome!" "Are arrogant Sony/Nintendo in trouble?" threads on a weekly (or sometimes daily) basis. It's getting exhausting.
I feel this. Just go through this thread and take a drink every time you read "value" and you'll be dead by page 2. That and the acquisition nonsense, basically telling half the forum to piss off because they want MS to buy studios to lock up games. It's embarrassing and beyond just being fans. It's corporate cheerleading.

I bought a PS5 & Series X at launch and have a Switch. I fucked around with game pass for a month and then sold the Xbox. I really feel like the Game pass stans are overselling it by quite a bit.

Basically, I play games and visit forums as an escape. The bullshit tribalism has gotten even worse in this forum. Console Warz was always obnoxious, but it seems even worse now. Even the PS5 subreddit gets stormed by game pass stans constantly. Like, we get it, Jesus Christ, you can stop yelling about it already.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Redirect Notice

So here's the deal...

No diss to anyone.

I apologize pal, I hope we can get over this rough patch in our friendship.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
It really depends. If its someone who knows nothing about games, I'd say switch. If it someone who like maybe played a bunch when they were younger and have an understanding of some more games and wants something a little more, more social options, Itd be PS or xbox but tbh I couldnt say specifically which one between them.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Depending on how casual of a gamer and their interests in what games, I'd recommend either a Switch or PS.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I feel this. Just go through this thread and take a drink every time you read "value" and you'll be dead by page 2. That and the acquisition nonsense, basically telling half the forum to piss off because they want MS to buy studios to lock up games. It's embarrassing and beyond just being fans. It's corporate cheerleading.

I bought a PS5 & Series X at launch and have a Switch. I fucked around with game pass for a month and then sold the Xbox. I really feel like the Game pass stans are overselling it by quite a bit.

Basically, I play games and visit forums as an escape. The bullshit tribalism has gotten even worse in this forum. Console Warz was always obnoxious, but it seems even worse now. Even the PS5 subreddit gets stormed by game pass stans constantly. Like, we get it, Jesus Christ, you can stop yelling about it already.
Its hilarious that this is how fanboys are feeling after seeing xbox have good news for a few weeks, it'll never happen but can you all imagine if Sony started selling less consoles you guys would have heart attacks it sounds like. People are just happy about xbox right now just like before this they were happy about playstation.

Goodness, y'all talking about xbox evangelism and infiltrating subreddits like lmfao take a break from the internet.

You guys realize that xbox fanboys got shit on so much they went and made their own forum, now all of a sudden playstation is out of the good news for a month and Sony fanboys are losing their minds.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Thread whining, console wars, prior infraction for similar behavior
Yes, it's basically parody at this point.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
I have both PS5 and Series X. I've had every PlayStation console from 1-5. I had the OG Xbox and 360, and skipped the Xbox One.

The Series X feels more "new" to me, and a big part of that is the fact that I didn't have an Xbox One. So for me, I've played my Series X way more than my PS5. Playing my Series X, it's the most fun I've had with gaming since maybe when I was a little kid gaming on N64.

Having said that, PS5 is amazing as well. We're still so early on with these consoles, both are going to have a hell of a run. If someone asked me for a recommendation between the two, I'd share my experience so far. And that might steer this person towards a Series X because I can't shut up about my great experience with it so far. But at the end of the day, we're all gamers. Choose the console which has the games you want to play. They're both great and both will just get better and better.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, how dare there be positivity about Xbox.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Has Xbox taken the spot as the de facto casual console recommendation"

That is a no. All things considered, PS4's library just has to much to offer right now. Game Pass is nowhere near casual territory yet, for a subscription service.

It can't be the "defacto" console when it's missing a ton of games. This question is too premature to even try to entertain and that poll is nothing but the culmination of this forum's attitude towards PlayStation for the past two weeks.

That being said, Xbox's future is looking bright, but the console right now? Nah... to early to be talking about that.
PS5 is getting new GTA V online totally exclusive in a couple of months, Guilty Gear Strive, few first party games and new announcements. Xbox doesn't seem to get none of that, but the PS4 will cause it's the defacto console right now.

I'm not saying this to agitate you guys, I'm just keeping it, what I think, is real. Xbox has a bright fkn future ahead and that's why I have one. But the hyperbole in the question fucks it up to get a real discussion out of it.

Xbox pretty much covers all the traditional popular 3rd party games, and they have GP (no more $70 games) it certainly at casual territory, the bolt on to EA Play further cements that. Add the fact that games are cross playable and upgradable with an expanding library, alot of the overhead has been taken out of its environment, across platforms. The others do not offer that, do not offer that type of frictionless consumption, growing support, and more importantly, value, so yes, even today its the defacto recommendation purely because of this. I guess the landscape changing as it is, moving away from the conventional model that you seem to be focused on, i can understand why you may hold the opinion you do, but its an outdated one imo, GP is where gaming is headed (we're being told expect more 3rd party day 1 games), simply not having to think about $70 per game lowers the barriers for casuals in ways other platforms do not , and that would be the type of climate they'd be interested in.

Last edited:

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, how dare there be positivity about Xbox.
It's kind of funny where the news has been so positively lately it's managed to curb the weekly "concern" threads here.

Remember where the non 4K UI thread spanned like 1000+ posts?

To answer the OP, nothing will touch the switch

Last edited:

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
If this is for a casual for enjoys sports games, it's Xbox.

If they're a casual who just wants occasional party games and chill games, it's Switch.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
id recommend an Xbox over literally anything simply because of gamepass, plus it gets pretty much every major release and if you have a Series X you are gonna get the best console experience, especially when the SDK's mature so that those instance where the xbox is falling back a little bit are ironed out

If they have a PC then Id just tell em to get gamepass for PC obviously unless they were looking for a console to put by the tv or whatever

Oct 27, 2017
If this is for a casual for enjoys sports games, it's Xbox.

If they're a casual who just wants occasional party games and chill games, it's Switch.
Yea casual can mean a lot. I think the 2k, madden COD etc player only is casual but also Animal crossing is a diff kind of casual. Xbox with gamepass fills one lane and the switch with the other

I'd say get an S and a year of gamepass to any non hardcore user

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Oof, careful, your fanboyism is showing.

ChrizzSTARR

Avenger
Jan 7, 2018
Xbox and Gamepass are an incredible value for just about anyone who plays games regularly. Not really casuals.

i have casual gamer friends who play Fortnite/Minecraft/League, I wouldn't recommend them An Xbox because they have no interest in trying out new games.

I have casual friends who play games once every couple of months with friends, mostly Mario Kart/party games. I wouldn't recommend them an Xbox because they wouldn't have interest in most of the games Xbox has to offer.

I think that Xbox Gamepass would benefit a casual gamer the most, Someone who plays games a few hours a week and likes variety, so my answer would be NO, I would not recommend an Xbox for casuals.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I want microsoft to buy every single developer and publisher under the sun to give me more value on that gamepass sub

time for another shot friend ;)

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If people don't want to see threads about consoles other than the one they're interested in, they should fuck off and join a subreddit tbh

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
I like when people say "they share 90% of the same library anyway" when the remaining 10% is U4, Bloodborne, HZD, GoW, R&C, or even time exclusive like FF7R... lol
Bubble era at its peak.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Xbox Series S for Game Pass. We'll probably see more "casual" games like FIFA and other sports titles releasing Day One on GP, making the "casual" audience save money to buy the next COD or GTA. Or maybe some FIFA coins or US$19 Fornite cards.

And lmao at people accusing of astroturfing. Maybe we think that Xbox + Game Pass is really a good deal and want to tell people about it?

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
The fact that the Xbox is winning is surprising to say the least. Not a bad series of consoles, but definitely not what I'd suggest a casual player (based on their taste, I'd recommend either the Switch or the PS4/5).

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, my buddy is a casual gamer and I told him to buy an xbox. he got a series x and is super happy with it. the ONLY game he still has his PS4 for is The Show, and was planning on buying The Show 21 for his XSX. The game pass news made him thrilled, and he's been having a blast revisiting the old games he loved on 360. He never gave a shit about most of the exclusives on PS4 (spidey, uncharted, TLOU), so it didn't make sense to get a PS5

Yes, it's basically parody at this point.
y'all should just go make a fucking discord if seeing positive xbox news gets under your skin so much.

Mr Moot

May 10, 2018
Annecy, France
I have no idea, but that is a good point tho. I can counter-point that by saying casuals love big blockbusters like Uncharted too.. but let's save that for another day.

I need to find a cheap Game Pass code for Outriders before my boy gets too over leveled.

.................................................Fuck, it deal.......
If the stand alone edition is even exclusive for one day, I win.

But, I don't want that shit, I don't like GTA😆

Feel free to gift a nice member of this forum :-)