• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
It helps to say what country.

I know. But I'd rather not say. I'm very critical of my country, but not in public, for now those issues and criticism are mostly ours to bear. Unfortunately, my country already has a bad reputation here on resetera and elsewhere, some of it is justified. Praising it here, even if its just for this one thing won't change anyone's mind about it, but it might change people's minds about me.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
For us here in Canada, I think on a national level, we have been very strong, and doing better as time goes on. No government is perfect, but the key is adjusting at a good pace as this crisis evolves. Punished Trudeau is Prime Trudeau.

Also extremely proud of our fellow Canadians coast to coast, coming together in a trying time.

Our shit media keep trying to blame Trudeau for something. At least one idiot said Trump is doing a better job.

Our shit opposition can't stop their partisan bullshit either, not to mention try and find a way to take credit for anything good happening.

The people are doing a good job though. I saw tons of people keeping distance and maybe 3/4 were wearing masks.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
State government is actually doing an incredibly good job. It's been strengthened.

The federal government in the US is basically falling apart left and right, however.

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
In Chile we were in the middle of serious social unrest and demans for the president to resign until the virus got here. Now there's way less demonstrations and some polls show the president increased his support a bit so I think the virus measures have given breathing room to the government but there's no guarantees this will last or won't come back with double strength once the crisis is over because people are still mad and prone to panic (hell, we have people blocking access to their communities and even a provincial medical facility was looted because people led by a mayor thought they were getting coronavirus patients).

I guess is kinda both: current government strengthens its position but the state deteriorates.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I just snitched on my neighbours who were throwing a corona party like 30 minutes ago. The Ordnungsamt came, got everyone's ID and fined every single person. I don't feel a speck of remorse. They have been throwing a corona party each weekend since the start of the lockdown three weeks ago.

In general the german government seems to be handling this about as well as you could have hoped for, especially in comparison to other countries. The initial reaction has been a bit slower than it should have been and they still don't seem to have a plan how to solve the PPE shortage but besides that, they have been doing what feels like a fine job, all things considered.
No mercy for idiot who throw Corona parties.

Bisha Monkey

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Our shit media keep trying to blame Trudeau for something. At least one idiot said Trump is doing a better job.

Our shit opposition can't stop their partisan bullshit either, not to mention try and find a way to take credit for anything good happening.

The people are doing a good job though. I saw tons of people keeping distance and maybe 3/4 were wearing masks.
This is the kind of narrative a lot of the big media are trying to build up in Mexico, they keep saying the US is doing a great job, and how Mexico should be doing the same... I mean, we as a whole have a lot of deficiencies, but holy shit, don't be so transparent about your political goals..

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank god for the NHS which our current government has spent years stripping it to the barebones and now expects it and its staff to work miracles every day. How the fuck do you not prioritise testing for NHS staff from the start to minimise how many are sidelined due to the virus rather than the chance of having it I do not know...

Useless government that acted too slowly and tried to ignore scientific information to form initial policy. Whatever the death toll ends up being I hope people remember next time they vote it was much higher than it should of been.

People need to be sacked like Dominic Cummings and whoever doesn't check their junk mail regularly...

Economy is gonna be fucked just like the rest of world, just depends how quickly that arrives in the UK.

ps3ud0 8)

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just snitched on my neighbours who were throwing a corona party like 30 minutes ago. The Ordnungsamt came, got everyone's ID and fined every single person. I don't feel a speck of remorse. They have been throwing a corona party each weekend since the start of the lockdown three weeks ago.

In general the german government seems to be handling this about as well as you could have hoped for, especially in comparison to other countries. The initial reaction has been a bit slower than it should have been and they still don't seem to have a plan how to solve the PPE shortage but besides that, they have been doing what feels like a fine job, all things considered.
Lmao. I never thought I'd agree with snitching but this was 100% the right call. I'm glad the police fined all of them too.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
NZ here.

The Govt here reacted early and has to date been doing a stellar job, as have the population......but Jacinda really is an impressive leader imo.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Around the cornovirus issue? There is seems to be agreement that social distancing is needed across society generally.

Around most other issues that matter? No indication that it has yet.

I do think the UK government has handled the issue very badly though, and pretty much the main breaks put on this have been people self regulating their social distance.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany here. Our goverment is perceived as generally doing a very decent job with this and expert advice is being listened to. This also manifested itself in the poll numbers: the ruling parties gained 10 points while the anti-science, populist, far-right AfD went down.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Italy here.

A lot of people are surprised we actually have a good president. From the last polls, more than 60% of the population trust Conte. Though some initial mistakes, the Government is doing pretty much good and better than most of the western countries. As someone said, it'll be crucial how they're going to handle the inevitable protests coming from certain areas of the country where a lot of people's main incomes arrive from illegal work.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
California state and local government have done a pretty good job.

Federal can fuck off.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
BC here. I think there is generally a positive reaction to government action and the efforts of public health care workers and officials. Canada at large is responding about as well as it reasonably could be expected.

But this isn't to say there aren't people falling through the cracks, nor can I say for certain their needs are being met as effectively as they could.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

In normal circumstances I'm not big on snitching or being the hall monitor type, but you did the right thing here.

They'd probably thank you if what you did prevented the death of someone else and they could see that.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Sweden, and yes. And they have soared in the latest poll numbers as well. Scoring the highest number (socialdemokraterna) in the last 20 years or so.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, he's ruined. He had the shot to make people at least start tolerating his bullshit by facing this crisis as an adult, but he chose to double down on, well, himself.

He's lost a lot of support from actual constituents, and virtually all support of personalities and other politicians. Even those who campaigned within his platform now shun him. He won't last the full term.

Well, there's this going on.

Also, Bolsonaro was recently quoted as saying that he felt that the solution to this pandemic should not be worse than the disease itself. That's almost word for word what President Dipshit said. I don't know who said it first, Bolsonaro or Trump, but is it a quote that originated from someone else from a different time and event? That Bolsonaro had said this days after I Trump said it in one of his daily briefings floored me to say the least. I can't speak portuguese, but I assume Bolsonaro is at least reasonably intelligent.

Or maybe he's a complete moron like Trump, but that it's hard to tell because he speaks a different language.

Last edited:

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Canada here. I would say this has strengthened the country and I've seen more solidarity and cooperation. Even the conservatives haven't acted like the usual selfish jerks that they usually are. From federal to municipal the messaging has been pretty consistent from what I'm seeing. Kudos to everyone. Sure more really hard work needs to be done especially with the marginalized but overall has been better than expected unlike our dysfunctional neighbors to the south.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel very fortunate and glad to live in Maryland, Governor Hogan, despite being a Republican, has really responded to the pandemic very well and has strengthen my state. The recent NYT article that focused on Maryland's and Hogan's response really made me happy to know that the NYT has given a national spotlight on my state's response.

The federal government on the other hand, complete and utter shitshow of an response which doesn't surprise me one bit after the shitshow of a response Trump gave to Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria completely devastated Puerto Rico.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland here. We closed pubs/restaurants down a week before the UK, and things seem to be going alright. Our current Prime Minister is a former doctor, and he seems to have understood the situation sooner than others. We're also lucky that a ton of medical and healthcare companies work in Ireland, so ventilators and masks are made here. That said, a ton of cases are in nursing homes - they're starting to get badly hit.

An additional interesting point to mention to this post is the political element in Ireland. In February, we had an election that ended in what is effectively a three-way tie, and a new government has yet to be established, and is likely that it cannot. The general public has galvanised around the caretaker government in the crisis, so when this election takes place again when this is all over, it'll be interesting to see if there is a change in the result based on the events of the current time and coming months.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
In Italy the situation seems to have caused a greater divide. A lot of people grew to respect our prime minister Conte, who has for the longest time been sitting in Salvini and Di Maio's shadow, but since Salvini effectively self-destructed and Di Maio also left his party, Conte took the control by all means, and stood up as the one leading figure everyone listens to in this crisis. Like most countries, Italy didn't react perfectly immediately, but only many other countries as soon as the numbers were getting ugly, hard decisions were taken despite the country's uneasy economic situation. This government has now a lot of new "fans", so to speak.

On the other hand, it's an emergency. A lot of people fear for their future. Many don't want to stay at home all day. Others just rode the fake news/conspiracy theory trains. This means that, on the other side, there's millions of people who are more worried than ever, perhaps angrier than ever, so as respect grew also did the hate.
How will this play out in the future you think? Conte isn't actually a member of M5S, right? Wonder if he's interested in staying on as PM once his 2nd term ends, maybe starting his own party like Renzi?

Meanwhile in Belgium the crisis has effectively solved our government formation nightmare and elevated our previously interim PM (Sophie Wilmès) to the national spotlight. She only has a mandate for the current COVID-19 crisis but I see her minority government limping on to 2024.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How will this play out in the future you think? Conte isn't actually a member of M5S, right? Wonder if he's interested in staying on as PM once his 2nd term ends, maybe starting his own party like Renzi?

Meanwhile in Belgium the crisis has effectively solved our government formation nightmare and elevated our previously interim PM (Sophie Wilmès) to the national spotlight. She only has a mandate for the current COVID-19 crisis but I see her minority government limping on to 2024.

AFAIK Conte has no interest to continue, then again Monti also said the same thing then founded a party, so you never know. He was effectively a neutral non-political player picked by Lega and M5S, then as Salvini decided to play 4D chess and eliminate himself and his party from the equation, it was then supported by M5S and PD instead. Salvini has been saying a lot of dumb shit lately, including the proposals of reopening churches and such. Conte also has all the spotlights on himself, so Salvini's popularity is starting to fade. Should still be enough to be the biggest party, but no way they have the numbers to govern alone, even if you include all the other right-wing stuff.

Hard to say the exact scenario because the virus crisis is far from over. In about 40 days we went from having barely any cases to 15k+ deaths. Most people haven't worked in weeks. A lot of economic areas took major hits, like tourism, cars, etc.. It's hard to say what's gonna happen in some months, therefore, but it seems that at least for now the right-wing forces are losing some steam.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

Italy political landscape in the future depends on how the post crisis is handled by all Europe.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Incredibly happy to live in a country (germany) that has a leader which is following scientists advice (i have my problems with her but times like these show how important a calm, clear leader is).

So yeah i think it strengthened a government that was kinda sleepwalking before and i appreciate we don't have the clown show the US,UK or france have.

While they obviously made some mistakes i think they handled this as good as possible.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
No population on this planet will emerge stronger from this. The economic damage is too high everywhere.

In Germany our government got a nice boost. The acting politicians are more popular across the board than they were before the crisis. It could very well impact who'll be our next chancellor because two candidates who had very little chances before Corona are now the major players. The longer it lasts and the more losses we suffer the mood may reverse though, who knows.
But I expect people to back the economy oriented CDU in large numbers when before the virus the Green Party was a really popular contender.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder what will happen post coronavirus and if we may see a swing to more liberal or global viewpoints opposed to pure capitalism.

Hopefully things like the climate crisis and our reaction to it take centre stage as that long term will test us far more than SARS-CoV-2 will do...

Hopefully populations see that when it comes to voting though I expect some will be too shortsighted.

The next major election I believe is the US so that should be a good indicator...

ps3ud0 8)

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
www.theguardian.com

Chaos in Manila as Philippines launches coronavirus quarantine measures

South-east Asian countries impose restrictions as doubt cast on warm weather theory

www.cnnphilippines.com

Officials defend appointment of ex-military men in war vs COVID-19

Former Armed Forces chief Carlito Galvez, Jr. says he will address problems with logistics, including the lack of equipment, in the fight against COVID-19.

www.aljazeera.com

Duterte presses on with ‘drug war’ despite coronavirus lockdown

Rights groups call for immediate stop to police operations and warn against more abuses during national health crisis.

news.abs-cbn.com

DOH apologizes for P500 daily allowance for COVID-19 hospital volunteers

The Department of Health on Saturday apologized to the public after it drew flak for allotting a P500 daily allowance to health frontliners battling the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), saying they are working on measures to increase compensation for health volunteers.

www.interaksyon.com

'Where did the budget go?' Duterte asked a week after he signed anti-COVID 'Bayanihan' act

Questions were raised regarding the financial aid supposed to be provided to the health sector almost a week after the Bayanihan To Heal as One Act (RA

newsinfo.inquirer.net

No escape for law breakers as DOJ introduces E-Inquest

MANILA, Philippines - In light of the public health emergency, strict home quarantine and social distancing imposed by the government, the Department of Justice (DOJ) has allowed the conduct of

www.philstar.com

NBI going after social media users who criticize government, too

Diokno said the NBI “is now going after even ordinary citizens for simply airing their sentiments on the government’s response to COVID-19 on social media.”

www.rappler.com

Duterte draws flak after saying frontliners 'lucky to die' for PH

'It would be an honor to die for your country, I assure you,' says President Duterte of medical personnel who are now part of the mounting coronavirus death toll. Netizens say they died because of lack of government preparation.

www.cnnphilippines.com

Makati hospital berates Sen. Pimentel for violating quarantine protocols

'He violated his home quarantine, exposed health workers to possible infection, and therefore, to me, that is reckless and unacceptable,' Makati Medical Center Medical Director Saturnino Javier says.

www.rappler.com

Pacquiao residence on lockdown after viral video with Pimentel

'Please be a model example,' writes Barangay Dasmariñas head to Manny Pacquiao as coronavirus-positive Koko Pimentel attends his party

www.cnnphilippines.com

21 protesters demanding food aid arrested in Quezon City

The Quezon City government says they have distributed food packs to Sitio San Roque, where the protesters live.

www.aljazeera.com

‘Shoot them dead’: Duterte warns against violating lockdown

Warning from Philippine president comes after slum dwellers stage protests over lack of food amid coronavirus crisis.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
www.theguardian.com

South-east Asian countries impose restrictions as doubt cast on warm weather theory

www.cnnphilippines.com

Former Armed Forces chief Carlito Galvez, Jr. says he will address problems with logistics, including the lack of equipment, in the fight against COVID-19.

www.aljazeera.com

Rights groups call for immediate stop to police operations and warn against more abuses during national health crisis.

news.abs-cbn.com

The Department of Health on Saturday apologized to the public after it drew flak for allotting a P500 daily allowance to health frontliners battling the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), saying they are working on measures to increase compensation for health volunteers.

www.interaksyon.com

'Where did the budget go?' Duterte asked a week after he signed anti-COVID 'Bayanihan' act

Questions were raised regarding the financial aid supposed to be provided to the health sector almost a week after the Bayanihan To Heal as One Act (RA

newsinfo.inquirer.net

MANILA, Philippines - In light of the public health emergency, strict home quarantine and social distancing imposed by the government, the Department of Justice (DOJ) has allowed the conduct of

www.philstar.com

Diokno said the NBI “is now going after even ordinary citizens for simply airing their sentiments on the government’s response to COVID-19 on social media.”

www.rappler.com

'It would be an honor to die for your country, I assure you,' says President Duterte of medical personnel who are now part of the mounting coronavirus death toll. Netizens say they died because of lack of government preparation.

www.cnnphilippines.com

'He violated his home quarantine, exposed health workers to possible infection, and therefore, to me, that is reckless and unacceptable,' Makati Medical Center Medical Director Saturnino Javier says.

www.rappler.com

'Please be a model example,' writes Barangay Dasmariñas head to Manny Pacquiao as coronavirus-positive Koko Pimentel attends his party

www.cnnphilippines.com

The Quezon City government says they have distributed food packs to Sitio San Roque, where the protesters live.

www.aljazeera.com

Warning from Philippine president comes after slum dwellers stage protests over lack of food amid coronavirus crisis.
Sounds about right for Duterte. Let's just be glad that PH only has one 6-year term for president (for now...)

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
It's making everything worse for AKP. No one is happy with what Erdoğan is doing. It is his last term everyone knows it.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Germany here, our leadership got quite the boost. I guess that's not just the handling of the crisis,but how prepared the social and healthcare systems are. We always had a "better safe than sorry" mentality but it never got tested like this.

Also really impressed that most people I know are taking it seriously. Doesn't matter if it's my daughter,my parents or even my grandfather, my coworkers or friends, they all obey to the instructions given and are fine with it for the greater good which is even more impressive knowing there is no real shelter in place where I live. Of course there are outliers too,but so far it's very few of them.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
Australia here.

Australia handled the initial phases better than most countries - extensive early testing and contact tracing, and implemented travel bans.

However, things got messy a few weeks ago about whether we needed to go into shutdown, and a there were a lot of difficulties in communication and coordination between the states and the federal government.

That said, things are going pretty well now with infections looking like they are on the decline. Communication and coordination between state and federal governments also appear to be working pretty well together now.

Overall, I think our governments are doing decently. The health bureaucracy and our hospitals, however, are doing an amazing job.

mentalfloss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Although I think air travel levels went on too long here in Canada I think overall Trudeau has done a really good job and looked respectable while doing it. Ontario has done extremely well also considering our traffic and population.

The Ontario Premier Ford has basically mimic'd Trudeau's rhetoric and actions and has been taking things very seriously so that is a huge relief. I don't like his politics so I wouldn't vote for him based on his handling of this or anything but he has done a good job on this issue. So the gov't is looking pretty strong right now and those that matter are on the same page. The leader of the conservatives is talking shit but no one cares because he couldn't be more irrelevant right now.

This is an accurate take.

I'd also mention Jason Kenney and other Trudeaunemies have softened a bit since the outbreak started.

I think that regardless of whether or not your government is performing well or poorly, this crisis is a slap to the face of libertarians who proselytize about the reduction of government.

This crisis will actually have a very positive effect on society moving forward.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Finland: Government acted very early on with the first measurements and has since been doing quite consistent decisions. So far the situation has been kept under control. A new poll shows that 70% of the population think the government has done a good job with limiting the spread of the virus while 10% think the measurements are too strict and 10% think they're not strict enough.

So yeah, quite good so far considering the situation but of course this is a marathon so anything can happen.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feelings about local government / community absolutely are stronger.

Federal government has essentially shown us that they are borderline useless.

Froli

Oct 25, 2017
Philippines
www.theguardian.com

www.cnnphilippines.com

www.aljazeera.com

news.abs-cbn.com

www.interaksyon.com

newsinfo.inquirer.net

www.philstar.com

www.rappler.com

www.cnnphilippines.com

www.rappler.com

www.cnnphilippines.com

www.aljazeera.com

Ph is a mess

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is an accurate take.

I'd also mention Jason Kenney and other Trudeaunemies have softened a bit since the outbreak started.

I think that regardless of whether or not your government is performing well or poorly, this crisis is a slap to the face of libertarians who proselytize about the reduction of government.

This crisis will actually have a very positive effect on society moving forward.

So true about the role of government. Andre Cuomo said something similar in a recent interview. This crisis is reminding is why we must have government and why it's so important for it to function well. We must have competent people at top levels for a reason.

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I think here in Spain most of us agree our government has fucked up several times and has not managed the situation very well so far.

But I think we appreciate our health care system and everyone working on it more than ever before.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Our local government is doing the best they can.

I'm legit afraid of how inept, uncoordinated, and straight-up sociopathic the U.S. federal government has become.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It's given me some confidence in the Ford government in Ontario, which has surprised me.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's given me some confidence in the Ford government in Ontario, which has surprised me.

I shit on Ford for being a fucking lunkhead but every province other than Quebec seems to be doing a good job and Ontario seems to be doing very well considering how hard they are being hit.

Federally I think Canada is also doing well. I'm sure the right wing hacks will criticize JT somehow but even the crazy partisan people on my Facebook haven't been posting their dumb Trudeau memes.

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Minnesota here. Feels good to know that we have things under control when the federal government may not seem to have its shit together. Some local business are likely not coming back after all this.. One of my favorite nightclubs is likely done after all this blows over.