• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cary Grant, the most charming actor?

• He certainly was

Votes: 52 47.7%
  • There is another

Votes: 57 52.3%

• Total voters

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surely not, I would say. If there ever was an actor with effortless charm, it was Cary Grant.

In fact, I can't even think of anyone who comes close.

Just look at this man, he was masterful in Suspicion:

1024px-Grant_Cary_Suspicion_01_Crisco_edit-1.jpg

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
1738e22c78dff9155056b605851020f9.jpg

Brando though. Everyone bent over backwards (maybe literally) to work with and please Marlon.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Brando is the greatest actor who ever lived, but Grant has him beat in pure charm by a mile.

Peter O'Toole in his prime was up there, I would say, but Grant is still at the top.

I guess maybe I'm interpreting it more as "How charming of a person were they?", versus "How charming did they appear on screen?". Some of the stories of Brando's affairs and love life would lead me to believe he may have been the most charming person in the world, (actor, or otherwise). Like no one ever said no to him...ever. Maybe that is because of his pedigree as an actor, but, I'm sure you've heard some stories too. The coolest people in the world just wanted to be in his presence, so he must have had something going for him. I know you can probably say all the same things about Grant too...I just don't know those stories, for better or worse.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
No, probably not. Orson Welles is also super charming, maybe more as a person than an actor though.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Thats cool, not charm

I dont have an opinion on Cary Grant other than I always thought it was Gary Grant

I'm just using some random gifs, buddy. Alain Delon has plenty of charm, if you've ever watched one of his films.

Your comment makes no sense lmao. It's like if I looked at a random photo of Cary Grant smiling and was like "nah he's just cool, that's not charm." Like, what? The films do the talking obviously, you can't glean that shit from a gif or photo.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
Grant's best role, ironically, is when he dialed down the charm for something more cold and sinister in Notorious. But, yes, in general he was 10/10 on the charm scale.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Cary Grant in His Girl Friday is one of the most enjoyable performances in film for me. Objectively his character is horrible, but Grant gives really sells his charm and wit, and just enough earnest emotion to sell the ending. He's so good in this role it almost makes it hard to watch him play the hapless straight man in films like Bringing up Baby.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Someone will have to make me believe this man has more charm than multisexual Commander Riker

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Watch him in The Third Man and even though he's the baddie you can't help but be taken by him. He's definitely charming.

Cary Grant is one of the best though.
Yeah, he can absolutely be charming on film and he definitely steals the film with very little screen time in The Third Man.

But Welles also often played not so charming characters like the police captain Quinlan in A Touch of Evil and Falstaff in Chimes at Midnight.

He is really charming and interesting talk show guest though.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
To counterbalance the Orson Welles charm offensive, I am obliged to post the legendary frozen peas advert recording, where he tries, in vain, to make sense of the script and ends up walking out.
youtu.be

Orson Welles - Frozen Peas

A recording of the infamous frozen peas commercial involving Orson Welles.Struggling to fathom the copy he's being directed to read, he loses his patience an...
The best quote, about the director asking him to emphasise "in" in the sentence starting "In July":

"Why? That doesn't make any sense. Sorry. There's no known way of saying an English sentence in which you begin a sentence with 'in' and emphasize it. Get me a jury and show me how you can say "in July", and I'll go down on you. That's just idiotic, if you'll forgive me my saying so. That's just stupid, "in July"; I'd love to know how you emphasize 'in' in "In July"...impossible! Meaningless!"

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Paul Newman and Peter O'Toole for sure. I find Cary Grant too much of a ham to be charming.