• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
saved by the bell was better than good morning ms bliss, if that counts

edit: a lot of people are confusing movie series reboot with remaking a movie

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Cobra Kai is better than anything post Karate Kid 1. May even be better than that; I refuse to ruin my memories of that movie by going back to it.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
reboots are usually just trying to cash out on something that really worked for a spontaneous reason so this basically never happens.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Ducktales.
I grew up with and treasure the original series. The reboot was better.

Edit: I'd also argue She-Ra, though I have less personal connection to the original.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Addams Family + Addams Family Values from the 1990s:

2WsNdLw.gif

Stargate SG-1 is better than the movie it was based off of.

Yes! This too.

Edit: I will say I do love the og stargate movie still, Jaye Davidson was incredible despite apparently hating the part. But the show just had so many seasons and it really did the movie justice and beyond.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The first 1/3 or 1/2 of Evil Dead 2 is basically a remake of the first film. Does that count?

Super-Volt

Apr 19, 2021
United States
People posting "The Thing" were getting me riled up because I thought some of you believed the 2011 version improved on the 1980s masterpiece. Then I remembered the 80's was a re-make/boot/envisioning of the old black and white movie. Urge to kill...falling.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly a lot of modern cartoons are better than their counterparts when you take off your nostalgia glasses.

I'll add despite being a massive Voltron fan as a kid that the Netflix version is better.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'm quite a fan of The Fly from Cronenberg since he just knows what to do with it.
War of Worlds (Tom Cruise) is way better than the old movie based on the novel and radio drama.
Dawn of the dead is definitely better, I don't care if people think fast zombies are dumb.

Evangelion.

Personally, I like the rebuilds more than the TV show. Both are great.
But...
Cobra Kai is better than anything post Karate Kid 1. May even be better than that; I refuse to ruin my memories of that movie by going back to it.
BUT...

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Evil Dead.
Duck Tales.
TMNT 2012.
Rise of TMNT was getting there but probably needed one more season.
Didn't people like Ring more than Ringu?
Bumblebee (have they said if it was same timeline yet or not?)

We calling prequels reboots now? Cause that's The Thing 2011. You want reboot/remake of The Thing, that is Frozen Hell within the next year or so.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I prefer the '09 Trek movie to the old ass Start Trek show. I tried watching it but I just can't get through watching that old Trek.

Radogol

Nov 9, 2017
I count three instances of people mentioning Dawn of the Dead. Nothing against James Gunn or even Snyder but civilization truly has fallen :O

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Do Christmas Carol adaptations count? Because, ahem, the Muppets one is clearly the best.

Ducktales 2017 is also a really good pick, as is Battlestar Galactica.

Also the live action Disney Cinderella is better than the animated one.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Rise of the Planet of the Apes and its sequels
Stargate SG-1
Battlestar Galactica

I really liked the 12 Monkeys show too.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm in agreement with most of what has been posted so far.

It may not be a popular opinion, but despite seeing Abre Los Ojos (1997) first, and originally insisting that Vanilla Sky (2001) was a bad Hollywood remake: I eventually came around to preferring Vanilla Sky after re-watching them both a decade later.
But it's been another decade since then (just writing that hurts) and my opinion may change again if I were to watch them now.

Though I don't know that I'd call the remake better, I remember thinking that both Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movies were good in their own right.
Heat (1995) was apparently a remake of Michael Mann's own made-for-TV movie L.A. Takedown (1989) - and though I've never seen it, I can't imagine that being better.
I haven't seen The Departed (2006) since it was released - so I can't say if I like it more, but I was a bit disappointed with Infernal Affairs (2002) after finally watching it recently.

Hannibal did better adapting Red Dragon, Hannibal and slightly Hannibal Rising than any of the films. Especially the Hannibal novel.
If they ever would of gotten the rights to Silence of the Lambs that would of been the real test.
I remember thinking Manhunter (1986) was better than anything which came after it; but I did not watch much of the Hannibal TV show.
I'm always hesitant to recommend any media if it's not fresh in my mind - especially older media, but it might be worth seeking that out if you haven't seen it.

I really liked the 12 Monkeys show too.
The Terry Gilliam movie 12 Monkeys (1995) might also be considered a remake, as it was inspired by the short La Jetée (1962).

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

The 2010 Karate Kid that takes place in China and has Jackie Chan as the mentor is easily the best thing in the franchise IMO.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
The Battlestar Galactica mini series. Not the actual TV series afterwards. That devolved into shit.

Btmmayor

Jun 4, 2018
The Force Awakens. ;)

Seriously though, Battlestar Galactica is for sure the prime candidate here.

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
The Blob, easily.
The Thing, although both are really great movies, the John Carpenter one really blew up.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Most of mine have already been mentioned, but I'll reiterate:

-HBO Westworld
-Battlestar Galactica
-The recent Planet of the Apes trilogy
-Many of the Transformers reboots are superior to the original. Prime, Animated, Bumblebee, etc. (Beast Wars isn't a reboot or I would have included it).
-The 2015 Disney Cinderella remake