• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
As you probably know, the latest Dark Alliance game was announced last year at The Game Awards. It is a reboot of the beloved D&D action-rpg series from the PS2 generation, from Canadian developer Tuque Games (the originals were from Snowblind and Black Isle, respectively). It is supposed to be out in Fall 2020, and...we haven't heard a single word about it this whole year, as far as I know? The studio's twitter account has not even mentioned the game's announcement last year, and the Dark Alliance twitter account last posted anything the day after the announcement last December.

COVID has obviously thrown a wrench into everyone's plans for this year, but it is looking very unlikely that they game will be out in the next 5 months to me. I know the trailer was controversially received (see below for some bonus In Flames on a Friday morning), but I lovbed the originals, and still hope that this will turn out to be a fun old-school arpg like D&D Heroes on Xbox.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Wondering if the feedback on the trailer made them reconsider showing the game until they've really solidified it down. Like you, I loved the original DA games, so I know personally the next showing needs to be solid after that reveal trailer.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Wondering if the feedback on the trailer made them reconsider showing the game until they've really solidified it down. Like you, I loved the original DA games, so I know personally the next showing needs to be solid after that reveal trailer.
Most likely that's the case. I don't recall the last time a trailer was so universally despised. With big franchises like CoD it's one thing, but most people who were excited for "the new D&D game" were fans of the older games to begin with, so the fallout was even bigger.

OP
OP
Com_Raven

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa

I don't know. On the one hand, that trailer was obviously a very weird choice, and the CG was not great. On the other hand, the two short glimpses at the actual game itself at the end didn't look terrible, and had a proper D&D feel.

htp314

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't know it existed. The original was one of my favorite PS2 game. Now I'm really looking forward to it, when it eventually comes out.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I almost forgot how bad that trailer was. That's probably been why they've been quiet. They want to actually show something solid and good so they don't get reminded of that bad trailer everytime they show it off.

OP
OP
Com_Raven

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I didn't know it existed. The original was one of my favorite PS2 game. Now I'm really looking forward to it, when it eventually comes out.

People think I am crazy when I say this, but Dark Alliance was the reason I bought my first console as a big Baldur's gate and D&D fan :)

I loved the PS2 games (and the Norrath games from Snowblind) and actually wasn't even aware of this.

That trailer though... woof.

Champions of Norrath was great yeah. We had tons of fun playing co-op in those games.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
While I too enjoyed the DA games the debut trailer summarily murdered any faith I had that the game would be akin to the old ones.

end of the day I'd love to see Chanpions of Norrath get a revisit. I always felt they were much better games than the DA games back in the day. Seeing the trailer when it came out I decided to revisit the DA games again and yea I definitely preferred CoN

sector4

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for bringing this to my attention OP. Obviously saw the trailer during Game Awards but had no idea it was related to those original games I loved so much! Definitely some of my fondest memories on the original Xbox and would be there day one for a new game! Have been wishing for that for so long!

OP
OP
Com_Raven

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
While I too enjoyed the DA games the debut trailer summarily murdered any faith I had that the game would be akin to the old ones.

end of the day I'd love to see Chanpions of Norrath get a revisit. I always felt they were much better games than the DA games back in the day. Seeing the trailer when it came out I decided to revisit the DA games again and yea I definitely preferred CoN

Judging by the general state of Daybreak games, I would be quite surprised to see anything Everquest in the next couple years, much less Champions of Norrath coming back.

Jun 17, 2018
That's one of the worst trailers I've ever seen for a game. Even though I'll always have a soft spot for InFlames, that was not a good music choice.

On a game related note, any gameplay about? I loved the BG:DA games.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by the general state of Daybreak games, I would be quite surprised to see anything Everquest in the next couple years, much less Champions of Norrath coming back.
Yea definitely not saying it's likely but it'd be really nice.

Crazy how the whole SOE thing played out and how quickly the Everquest brand has basically disappeared entirely.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah agreed. I'll take what I can get though, but maaaaan was that a bad trailer.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
my god, I'd forgotten about that trailer and wish it had stayed that way

Just literally give me an 4K60 collection of BGDA, BGDA2 and Champions of Norrath on current/next consoles and PC. The games looked absolutely incredible for their time and would look just as gorgeous now given the isometric perspective.

OP
OP
Com_Raven

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Crazy how the whole SOE thing played out and how quickly the Everquest brand has basically disappeared entirely.

It is very sad how at a time when multiplayer and games-as-a-service are bigger than ever, Daybreak/ former SOE is on life support. Everquest Next sounded so good; turns out it was actually too good to be true.

The games looked absolutely incredible for their time and would look just as gorgeous now given the isometric perspective.

That water in Dark Alliance 1 was some proper next gen shit, blew my mind at the time!