• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I actually think Battlefield 3 worked better with fewer players. Much less chance of getting shot in the back and people paid more attention to squadding up. 64 players is too chaotic.
Battlefield 3 still had smaller map variants with 32 players though, the problem is the console versions had only 24 players so the vehicle balance was terrible as well as most of the maps being empty. People paying attention to squadding up is a match by match thing, I haven't had issues leading squads in BF4, 1 or V with their 64 players.

Battlefield 3 on consoles was a really terrible experience imo, only Battlefield I've ever returned. Much better on PC.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I played the game recently on pc, didn't really use tactical view much

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I would say that it is if you have the opportunity to fix complete it at least.

Like no one objects to KOTOR 2 with the restored content mod being called the complete edition even though that's only available on PC.
Yeah but to act like Bioware ruined the console version because it doesn't have things the PC version doesn't have either is dumb. I agree that PC is the definitive version but that's in spite of them not because of them. Idk

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have you met Fallout 3 on PS3 though?

Back when the XMB launched you HAD to play offline because the game would freeze for 30 seconds to a minute whenever a friend logged on, good shit.

That's up there with Skyrim eventually becoming unplayable on PS3 if your file size got too big (not sure if they ever fixed that one)

NeoShinGreg

Oct 27, 2017
I LOVED the dragon age games when I was young and I played the first one a ton on ps3 and 360, and didn't encounter any major bugs. I'm currently playing through the series on PC and I had a significantly worse time technically than I recall. Selling things or scrapping stuff in my inventory was inconvenient and a mod I installed to fix... everything wrong with the game basically, had an auto loot feature so I was frequently filled up.

The absolute most horrid part of the game was Denerim. The game didn't like how multi threaded my CPU was apparently and it would crash RELENTLESSLY. Every time I wanted to visit the primary city in the game I had to manually shut down a bunch of CPU cores and minimize every single graphical setting otherwise the game would lock my PC. I had double redundant save files every time I wanted to visit town, and played at 480p on a 21:9 monitor to avoid crashes.

Another major issue was in the wardens keep DLC, where the final battle wouldn't trigger and I had to do a weird shuffle to get the NPC to walk correctly.

I will say that with the mod that fixes all of the items that simply don't work (threat reduction effects straight up do nothing and were never patched apparently) the game was much more fun when I wasn't fighting it to let me deliver quests

Maybe it was because I was young but I never had any difficulties playing through the games on consoles but PC was definitely not the best time

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sir let me introduce you to the Shadow of Mordor 15FPS PS3 experience.

ChrisBliss117

Oct 28, 2017
Have you met Fallout 3 on PS3 though?
Fallout 4 is basically non-playable on Xbox One. I wanted to replay it and once I had to visit Goodsprings the game froze. Every single time. I tried over ten times before I uninstalled it. There must be too much going on in the city because once combat started things just stopped working. Funny thing is I don't think it crashed once when I played it when it released.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's bad is Bioware did the same damn thing with DA2. They removed fucking auto attack on the consoles. There a few more combat changes for the worse as well. I think it's part of the criticism that game gets, it was a much better game for those of that played on pc.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
They're very different but I think they both work. This is the first I'm hearing about dialogue bugs, though; I'd love to hear details about that.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Huh? I played Xbox 360 first, and it was fine. Later PC. I actually prefer playing the game in 3rd person, because I care more about the setting and lore than the combat.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Played both versions, and honestly I'd still rather play it on a controller. I'm not going to argue against it being dumbed down tactically, but when you're playing a long game like that, I'd rather just chill using a controller.

I've always wished they did a remaster which kind of combined the versions.
That's up there with Skyrim eventually becoming unplayable on PS3 if your file size got too big (not sure if they ever fixed that one)
In my experience, not entirely, and it got some other new issues. Like the game would just randomly freeze up any time you went in water, I think you could fix it but you had to straight up reinstall the game lol.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
I mean the console version (at least the 360 port) is okay. That's how I first played through the game and I had fun. But yes, Origins is far superior on PC. The game just isn't great on controllers; keyboard and mouse are necessary for this game.

The PS3 version is one of the worst looking major video games I've ever seen in my life. My friend showed it to me recently and we were dying laughing at how ugly it was.
I actually had this opinion about the 360 version. I got it for free on games for gold or something so decided to boot it up. I quit playing after 5 minutes because it was like the worst looking game I'd seen in years. I'd seen the pc version before a lot and that always looked dated but not like this.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Back when the XMB launched you HAD to play offline because the game would freeze for 30 seconds to a minute whenever a friend logged on, good shit.

Yeah, I fortunately never had the "pleasure" myself, but I faintly recall there being some kind of timebomb essentially in those games that at a certain point completely tanked the performance.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I mean tons of PS1 and PS2 ports of PC games were worse than this. The console version of DAO removed tactical mode but there's nothing you can do to fix the dishwater dull storyline and horrendously outdated visuals outside of more recent mods on PC. DAO is easily my pick for the most overrated game of the previous gen, regardless of platform.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Basically every Bethesda game due to mods for bug fixes and visual/gameplay improvements. I would never play the console version of Bethesda games.

But for me, virtually every PC game with huge modding scene means they're butchered on consoles.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Doom (1).

The various ports (SNES, 32x, jaguar, 3do, even Saturn & PS1) were atrocious.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I mostly played DA:O on xbox360 with the tactical AI commands for companions.
So, if someones playstyle is making on the fly tactical decisions then i could see how the console version would be a bad experience.

Those tactical AI command strings in DA:O were a great feature, i loved that.

EDIT:
It all comes back now, still impressed by it...
You could program every person in your group
If (enemy in sight) choose (bow) and (attack)
If (enemy comes near) choose (sword) and (attack)
If (enemy health under 20%) choose (sword) and (attack)
and endless options...
It was a dream come true for my playstyle.
I wish more games would have adopted this system.

When I first played FFXII back in 2006, I was blown away by the Gambit system, which works more or less the same way the Tactics system works in DA:O. I was excited by the thought of this system being the basis for companion AI in all party-based action RPGs in the future.

Boy was I wrong...

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Of course PC is the best platform for these games, though I have to say that I finished Skyrim and Dragon Age Origins (several times even) plus Witcher 3 on the respective Xbox consoles, and still loved them. I guess that is testament to their sheer quality :)

Well, that would be the reverse of what OP describes.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
I own the original PC port of Resident Evil 4 and let me tell you that thing was an absolute fucking mess.

a) No mouse support at all. Not for aiming, not for the camera, not for the menus. Nothing.
b) All cutscenes are pre-recorded footage from the PS2 version. They are literally AVI files in the directory. That scene during the beginning of the game where Leon is zooming in on the village with binoculars is the player zooming in on a compressed video.
c) All those quick time event prompts do not use the keybinds or controller buttons but instead, use numbers. "You need to press Button 2 and Button 4 to dodge this boulder.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Played briefly on PC and then threw it in the bin after being disappointed with it. Spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate my ass. Still bitter about the fall of BioWare :(

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
When Dragon Age Origins was released the idea of putting a CRPG as close to the CRPG experience as possible on a console was considered a bad idea. So yes they "butchered" the game for consoles. And yet loads of people played the game on console and loved it. If you're a purist of sorts it's absolutely not the version to play, but it's still a good game on consoles.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
I suppose it would make a difference on harder difficulties, or have a different appeal og course, but I played the game on all platforms, and I enjoyed it just fine. It didn't seem like a "butchering" of the game mechanics but rather an adjustment to the console.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
When Dragon Age Origins was released the idea of putting a CRPG as close to the CRPG experience as possible on a console was considered a bad idea. So yes they "butchered" the game for consoles. And yet loads of people played the game on console and loved it. If you're a purist of sorts it's absolutely not the version to play, but it's still a good game on consoles.

That pretty much sums it up. For decades, the conventional wisdom was that certain PC genres cannot properly work on consoles, such as rpgs and rts. And then...they suddenly did.

Last Fall I found myself sitting at an airport playing Baldur's Gate on my Switch, and it just hit me how crazy that notion would have been only a few years ago.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I've only ever played this on PC (multiple times) and I rarely touched the tactical cam, I did pause and plan the fights a lot even without it.
from what I've seen on videos the game didn't seem bad at all on consoles.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I actually had this opinion about the 360 version. I got it for free on games for gold or something so decided to boot it up. I quit playing after 5 minutes because it was like the worst looking game I'd seen in years. I'd seen the pc version before a lot and that always looked dated but not like this.

I haven't seen the 360 version in 10 years, so I can't really remember what it looks like. But it sounds like to me that both console versions are absolutely hideous.

That alone justifies playing it on PC. Not like you even need a powerful one these days.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
I own the original PC port of Resident Evil 4 and let me tell you that thing was an absolute fucking mess.

a) No mouse support at all. Not for aiming, not for the camera, not for the menus. Nothing.
b) All cutscenes are pre-recorded footage from the PS2 version. They are literally AVI files in the directory. That scene during the beginning of the game where Leon is zooming in on the village with binoculars is the player zooming in on a compressed video.
c) All those quick time event prompts do not use the keybinds or controller buttons but instead, use numbers. "You need to press Button 2 and Button 4 to dodge this boulder.
The ps2 version itself used fmvs for all cutscenes unlike gamecube so thats why the pc version does because its a port from ps2. The cutscenes do look really bad though on pc you're right.