• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No tactical view is the biggest gripe.

DragonAgeOrigins005.jpg

A full re balance that completely butchers and changes the flow of combat to be almost a hack and slash; while not being a competent one at all (it's almost boring). Huge console downgrades to the already slightly outdated graphics. An already buggy game made TEN TIMES MORE BUGGY, with half of the dialogue options being unavailable due to bugs, and even some quests don't properly activate.

It's almost a completely different game between the PC and console version, which can rarely be said about any title.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I've played both console and PC but I didn't notice much difference beyond the lack of tactical view. I played the two versions pretty far apart though.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I played DA:O on xbox360.
And it is one of the best RPG i ever played.

So, i would say it wasn't butchered.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
I played it back in the day on the 360 and loved it. I did play it on PC years later but aside from tactical review, I didn't feel much of a difference. I did however enjoy the mods and that made it way more fun than the console versions.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I've played both console and PC but I didn't notice much difference beyond the lack of tactical view. I played the two versions pretty far apart though.

This for me. I played it on console at launch and then on PC years later.

Honestly compared to the old Infinity games like Icewind Dale, the 'tactics' and combat options in Origins didn't come close. Ultimately this is in large part due to cooldown and ability design feeling a lot less interesting overall. But I rarely felt the addition of the tactical view afforded that much difference from how I recall approaching the game on console. But again, I would need to really go back and directly compare.

Oct 25, 2017
I completely agree with everything you said, having now played both versions, but it was still one of my favorite WRPGs of all time having only played the 360 version. Only this year I played the PC one, and did so for 175 hours. It's now without a doubt my favorite WRPG ever, and it's definitely the best version of the game by far, but given how much I loved my time with it on the 360, I can't say the conversion wasn't successful.

It's at the same time one of the most butchered conversions but also a very successful one. It's not like Skyrim PS3 that I'd say you should just avoid if you have no other way of playing it.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy you're in for some fun with Ultima VII SNES then! EA even picked that one out for a 16-bit compilation on PSP!

Heh, it's be easy to say they had a history with this but that was all on Pony Canyon back then.

Ok but putting that aside, it probably is still worth making the distinction between modern ports and older ports, since older ports more often had wild compromises. And I admittedly didn't play the console versions of that, but it does figure when it was meant for PC only.

Last edited:

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I mostly played DA:O on xbox360 with the tactical AI commands for companions.
So, if someones playstyle is making on the fly tactical decisions then i could see how the console version would be a bad experience.

Those tactical AI command strings in DA:O were a great feature, i loved that.

EDIT:
It all comes back now, still impressed by it...
You could program every person in your group
If (enemy in sight) choose (bow) and (attack)
If (enemy comes near) choose (sword) and (attack)
If (enemy health under 20%) choose (sword) and (attack)
and endless options...
It was a dream come true for my playstyle.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I've played both versions multiple times and the PC version is obviously better but I don't remember running into any dialog bugs on console like... at all.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i thought it was fine on ps3. it's missing features but it's not so far removed from the pc version that it's bad or anything. maybe just worse in comparison.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha oh man, I remember how badly it performed on PS3 (at least the frame rate). To me, it just showed just how much I loved that game though because I didn't care in the slightest. Still one of my all-time favorite RPGs.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The console versions were not great, but I still think its one of the best games ever made, even in that format.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The Deus Ex PS2 ports were downright mutilated.

I'd also argue that Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4 and Battlefield: Hardline were utterly watered down despite roughly containing the same content with the exception of the free DLC maps added to Battlefield 4 that remained exclusive to PC, PS4 and Xbox One due to technical limitations.

Maps were trimmed to accommodate for the lower player count which was reduced to 37.5% of the intended player count (24 players vs. 64 players), less vehicles were spawned per map, the framerate was an often inconsistent 30 FPS that regularly dipped to the low/mid 20s during bouts of intense action and most of the visual splendor was axed just to get the games running on the hardware.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Had a great time on PS3 with the Ultimate Edition, even got 100% of the trophies. It began my love affair with the rogue archer class.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I actually preferred the console release. I liked played it with a controller, which isn't even an option on PC (its controls do not translate well to Steam Input / gamepad support).

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
So, if someones playstyle is making on the fly tactical decisions then i could see how the console version would be a bad experience.
I played with on the fly decisions on PC and console and had a great experience with both. Some things were of course a little bit slower on PC since I had to go through some menus to access more character abilities, but it didn't hamper me much.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I played with on the fly decisions on PC and console and had a great experience with both. Some things were of course a little bit slower on PC since I had to go through some menus to access more character abilities, but it didn't hamper me much.

I think i worded it wrong.
Actually i meant that there is a chance that you could miss the tactical overview on the console, and that could worsen your experience if you know it as an option.
Even during my playthrough i sometimes wished to have that option, but that didn't made the game in any way worse.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
I played the PS3 version first and enjoyed it, but the PC version is immeasurably better. Looks better, runs better, plays better with a better UX/UI, sounds better (combat effects were garbled, compressed nonsense on the PS3), etc.

I believe Dragon Age 2 shipped without auto-attack for consoles. That alone might be a better example, as it literally changes the game into an awful action RPG, as opposed to a (insert your extreme opinion about DA2 here).

I'm one of the weirdos that loves DA:O and DA2 equally, and finds Inquisition to be pretty disappointing, but serviceable.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I only played the PC version and the console one seems awful

Nanomage

Dec 21, 2017
It was for sure,but it was different enough in terms of level layout in certain areas that made it interesting for a DX veteran to go through it.
Dragon Age Origins on consoles was straight up worse in every possible way,missing the whole tactical view,buggy with issues with the dialog and most of the puzzles removed or heavily simplified,not to mention worse performance overall.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I've played both and honestly, I wish you could play the PC version with the console controls.

I understand that it makes group combat much easier, and makes the tactics a stronger focus, but I never really played on the difficulties that require that much tactical control, and I just enjoy directly moving a character around with an analog stick.

I had a perfectly enjoyable time playing with a Gamepad, and I just think it sucks that there's no native option for it on PC and I wasn't even able to find a good controller mod like the ones for Mass Effect.
Bioware was really bad about not supporting controllers on PC during the 360/PS3 era. I don't even think Mass Effect 3 supported them.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018

I'd also argue that Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4 and Battlefield: Hardline were utterly watered down despite roughly containing the same content with the exception of the free DLC maps added to Battlefield 4 that remained exclusive to PC, PS4 and Xbox One due to technical limitations.

Maps were trimmed to accommodate for the lower player count which was reduced to 37.5% of the intended player count (24 players vs. 64 players), less vehicles were spawned per map, the framerate was an often inconsistent 30 FPS that regularly dipped to the low/mid 20s during bouts of intense action and most of the visual splendor was axed just to get the games running on the hardware.

I actually think Battlefield 3 worked better with fewer players. Much less chance of getting shot in the back and people paid more attention to squadding up. 64 players is too chaotic.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
51PQM3KjDFL.jpg

I enjoyed it, but compared to the PC version? Lol noooooo. There was a lot of this back then. Then it kinda flipped for a bit ..........

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I think i worded it wrong.
Actually i meant that there is a chance that you could miss the tactical overview on the console, and that could worsen your experience if you know it as an option.
Even during my playthrough i sometimes wished to have that option, but that didn't made the game in any way worse.
That's fair.

I personally play without the tactical view except for when aiming the AoE attacks. And even then, the view that's on the console is perfectly fine for me.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
yeah, i only played the ultimate edition on ps3 and still had an excellent time doing damn near everything. i don't remember any bugs either!

it was definitely not a looker, i can say that much.

i do now have the pc version, and i'm excited to replay it after all these years, this time "the way it's meant to be played". well, maybe not so much going through the fade and the deep roads again!

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I mean the console version (at least the 360 port) is okay. That's how I first played through the game and I had fun. But yes, Origins is far superior on PC. The game just isn't great on controllers; keyboard and mouse are necessary for this game.

To this day I have not touched the PC version of that game, and I actually quite enjoyed it on the PS3 :P

The PS3 version is one of the worst looking major video games I've ever seen in my life. My friend showed it to me recently and we were dying laughing at how ugly it was.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Do you mean the dialogue and quest bugs you need mods on PC to fix? Because I wouldn't really say the PC version is more complete if you need fans to literally finish the content first

Whowasphone

Sep 21, 2019
Same, tactical view was especially fun with the mage class but the feel of the game on the console was enjoyable in it's own way. I would not say butchered at all frankly.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Do you mean the dialogue and quest bugs you need mods on PC to fix? Because I wouldn't really say the PC version is more complete if you need fans to literally finish the content first
I mean, I would say that it is if you have the opportunity to fix complete it at least.

Like no one objects to KOTOR 2 with the restored content mod being called the complete edition even though that's only available on PC.