• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Not a whole chapter or movie, but:

the fast saga

32cd272ecf53bb16e17a85a10dfa90bd0edeb5c3.gifv

EPpSH3YWoAIBXLy.jpg

More purely a retcon that straight up ignoring what came before, but it's the finest example of retconning in media history

50 bucks says he's a cyborg a la Idris Elba in Hobbes and Shaw.

Ferret

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it counts as successful or what the op is asking but the first season of Blue Exorcist had an anime original arc and ending. When the show got a second season 6 years later they ignored that those episodes ever happened.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I'm pretty sure Highlander 2 is never mentioned anywhere again in the rest of the series, but I'm not the biggest Highlander fan so I could be wrong.
I think the only Highlander stuff that maintained continuity was the og movie and the television series. The MacLeods from each were friends. The second film about aliens and the third with magic powers were ignored in the series, which was a more down to earth tale about immortals (besides the decapitation/quickening stuff I guess). Until the last season which had ancient demons because the writers got bored or something.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I think the only Highlander stuff that maintained continuity was the og movie and the television series. The MacLeods from each were friends. The second film about aliens and the third with magic powers were ignored in the series, which was a more down to earth tale about immortals (besides the decapitation/quickening stuff I guess). Until the last season which had ancient demons because the writers got bored or something.
The second film also got a special re release that wiped all the alien stuff away. It was called the Renegade cut I think. It was still terrible, but even they knew the alien things was a bad move lol.

The series was great up until the last season or so. Then the 4th film brought the two clansmen both back together only to "pass on the torch" to Duncan.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It's amazing to me that they took this concept of immortals battling out through time until there could be only one... and then they not only made a sequel to that, but a terrible one to boot (like a gigantic j/k to fans of the first film). I remember I was young at the time and surprised that someone like Connery would take such a role for the money, but it wasn't the only time.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
this is what I entered this thread for. I liked parts of Legend of Korra but what they did to the Avatar line is unforgivable. Imagine being the next avatar after Korra and only having her to guide you.

God forbid there's an actual conflict.

Erasing that removes an interesting storyline in favor of returning to status quo and giving nothing in return, the very thing all these shitty stories try to do.

Korra herself isn't even sure she will be able to provide guidance, hence she's leaving behind a book she's writing about everything she knows about the Avatar

With all the Super Saiyan God drama I doubt Ubuu would have even registered a blip on Goku's radar considering how insignificant Buu would be at that point. The ending of Z only really makes sense if the events of Super didn't occur and Buu was the last powerful villain everyone faced.

Uub was a big part of the latest manga arc.

I didn't like it personally, but Uubs power was revealed to have a god level aspect to it thanks to Evil Buu absorbing gods of creation

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm done discussing star Wars in this thread but focus? No,never. Hard pass. It needed it's own voice.

Alright, one more time

It's absolute fear to, for example touch on the politics of the galaxy, or use the force ghosts or play around with the bigger society the prequels showed us because they were laser focused on avoiding those aspects because the internet told them to held it's potential incredibly.

Some posters here seem to think I'm talking about shoving a midichlorian reference in every line..when for example, I meant actually explaining the power structure of this new Republic compared to the old one, tie some Jedi stuff to the lore we see in the clone wars, instead of using "dark science, cloning" use the already set up path to immortality from the prequels, talk about how the force can manifest in individuals like "The Chosen One" to go deep into Kylo Ren and Rey's powers

The prequel lore offered quite a bit to avoid it's largest narrative pitfalls and they avoided it like the plague on purpose instead choosing nebolous boxes of fucking nothing* or OT retreads as their building blocks...and it was weak AF

*TLJ is free from all the above criticism
That's... a completely different topic than what this thread is ostensibly about? If the ST is avoiding getting deep into the politics of the New Republic because it's felt that the prequels got too lost in the minutiae that's an example of adjusting (or overcompensating, even) from the perceived faults of the previous entry, not ignoring/retconing it as the thread premise presents. Your examples don't match the thread premise.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel's original Human Torch was introduced as an android created by Professor Horton.
The first issue had a clever twist where he was presented as a horror creature and then eventually became the protagonist.

vXZuCx3.png
h4ZINsq.png
HWfIC87.png

After this issue, the fact that he's an android is passively retconned - it's never mentioned again, it's never a factor in his comics and everyone acts as if he's just a man with the power to control flame. He can even talk to flames and tell them how to spread.

After superhero comics were retired in the 50s and then revived again in the 60s, the Human Torch concept was repurposed into Johnny Storm, one of the Fantastic Four.

Y0tZl4r.png

He had more lasting popularity than the original by a very long shot, largely because of the F4 team dynamic.

The original Human Torch was brought back a few times, but all of his revivals largely ignored everything after his first issue and focused on him being an android - every time you saw him, you could safely assume he would be reprogrammed at some point to fight the heroes of the piece. At one point he led an army of evil robots to assimilate the human race with nanotechnology.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Marvel's original Human Torch was introduced as an android created by Professor Horton.
The first issue had a clever twist where he was presented as a horror creature and then eventually became the protagonist.

vXZuCx3.png
h4ZINsq.png
HWfIC87.png

After this issue, the fact that he's an android is passively retconned - it's never mentioned again, it's never a factor in his comics and everyone acts as if he's just a man with the power to control flame. He can even talk to flames and tell them how to spread.

After superhero comics were retired in the 50s and then revived again in the 60s, the Human Torch concept was repurposed into Johnny Storm, one of the Fantastic Four.

Y0tZl4r.png

He had more lasting popularity than the original by a very long shot, largely because of the F4 team dynamic.

The original Human Torch was brought back a few times, but all of his revivals largely ignored everything after his first issue and focused on him being an android - every time you saw him, you could safely assume he would be reprogrammed at some point to fight the heroes of the piece. At one point he led an army of evil robots to assimilate the human race with nanotechnology.
To add to this his side kick Toro was retconned into being a mutant, and then again retconned into being an Inhuman after the "Fox Ban" Perlmutter did when he thought they were "just advertising for other people's movies"

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Nikita. Season 1 has a very important component of Nikita's backstory being that she had a romantic partner (I think he was her fiancee but I don't recall) who was assassinated and she's getting revenge. Season 2 onward makes no mention of this man at all.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Episodes 1&2 "Welcome to the Hellmouth" & "The Harvest". Xander has a childhood best friend, Jessie. Jessie is turned into a vampire and slain by Buffy (or Xander. I can't recall). A very traumatic event that forms Xander's hatred of vampires for the rest of the series. Jessie is never mentioned again, despite being such an emotionally impactful person in Xander's life.
this is what I entered this thread for. I liked parts of Legend of Korra but what they did to the Avatar line is unforgivable. Imagine being the next avatar after Korra and only having her to guide you.
I would imagine by that point Korra would be far more mature, having traveled through the Spirit World, and become incredibly powerful in her own right. Like, ludicrously powerful. Having a debate about Korra's character is another topic all its own, but it's hardly unforgivable. Even Aang, a highly spiritual bender, only went back as far as the previous airbender, which was 4 benders. Korra only connected to Aang. The idea of rebuilding the Avatar legacy from rhe beginning is a very strong concept and having Korra, someone who has been mercilessly beaten to the point of uncertainty doing it is a gamble, but one I'm willing to stick by. Even if it didn't get fleshed out fully. To have the next person in line have to carry the weight of beinf essentially the second in a new generation of Avatars, only being able to experience what Korra could build in her limited time, is pretty wild.

I would only want the lore to get fleshed out. Explain lavabending and spiritbending, for example. They just kind of exist and work as is.
However, DMC does completely and absolutely ignore DMC2 to great success. To the point they keep juggling around when it happened because it simply doesn't matter.

Which makes me think I've found another winner
Mmmmm does it? Because if I'm not mistaken, the description on the gauntlets states that he got them from slaying the then king of the Fire Hell, which would've happened after DMC2, right? When he goes into the demon dimension?
I'm surprised there's been no mention of the "Gas Leak" year from Community. Although the show was hobbled by cast departures and network switches at that point, so it might not be the best example.
That always bugged me and was so fucking petty. Jeff and Pierce still graduated at the end of the season, so it didn't really work.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
This is one I like. Judau and his friends were monsters that both got people killed and actively caused all kinds of trouble for no reason.
Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Zz.png

Basically all of their exploits have been ignored successfully (so far) in the rest of the main universe canon of Gundam. A lot of the later Zeon side of the story remains though. There are occasional, OCCASIONAL mentions of it, but one of my favorite things about Gundam is the tech progression being visible in the UC. Most of the designs in Unicorn are all Zeta stuff for anything related to the Gundam projects which is like... the best subtile burn they can give imo.

Last edited:

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The pre-Disney+ stuff is basically non canon until shown otherwise per Feige. But trust me, they will get to the Inhumans again some day.

Agent Carter is definitely canon, despite being non disney+. Same Character, Actor, and continuity as Captain America: First Avenger, and the first "Agent Carter" content was a short that appeared not on TV, but was included in the DVD release of Iron Man 3.

That being said, marvel doesn't really seem to have much of a plan for the Inhumans- even in print they have killed off nearly all of them and exiled the rest to god knows where. If we see them again it will be a complete reboot and not linked to whatever this mess was.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
This is one I like. Judau and his friends were monsters that both got people killed and actively caused all kinds of trouble for no reason.
Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Zz.png

Basically all of their exploits have been ignored successfully (so far) in the rest of the main universe canon of Gundam. A lot of the later Zeon side of the story remains though. There are occasional, OCCASIONAL mentions of it, but one of my favorite things about Gundam is the tech progression being visible in the UC. Most of the designs in Unicorn are all Zeta stuff for anything related to the Gundam projects which is like... the best subtile burn they can give imo.
Didn't the Zeta Gundam movies that were made far more recently also straight up retcon ZZ entirely (at least in the sense of providing an alternative continuity)?

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The X-men died, came back, and a mystical being gave them all the ability to be undetected by cameras.

Not sure if that counts because it basically was forgotten and never used.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting you bring this up, because I was thinking last week how Marvel's success has been helped by the fact that they didn't do that.
Age of Ultron was one of the more poorly received movies, but rather than pretend it doesn't exist, they keep pulling things from it to make future plots. They're owning it, and I think that's been working for the better.
The Edward Norton Hulk movie pretty much ignored as ever existing.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Highlander 2 was retconned out of existence. I mean Highlander has never been the most successful franchise but part 2 sure was something

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of it so I searched it up and holy fucking shit what!?

Yeah it was bad, it was really bad. Pretty much everyone agrees that it is best to never acknowledge it again.

I don't think anyone has ever come out and officially said it's not canon, but nothing has ever referenced it ever again, nor has the events of it affected the status of the universe in any way.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like most people don't even really consider Godfather 3. Like, when talking about the story of the Godfather, virtually everybody talks about 1 and 2, and then mostly just ignores 3, or if you bring up some plot point from 3, it's like "ehh, yeah but that's from Godfather 3..."

The Godfather is one of the most cherished stories in film, and despite 3 being completely mediocre, and a major horrible disaster given the quality of the first two, it doesn't seem to hurt the impression of the franchise.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You'd do well to find a Doctor Who fan who ever accepted the revelation that the Doctor was half-human from The TV Movie, but the modern series has all-but ignored it, and many plots and characters that it introduced would make no sense if it was taken to be true.

Depending on how you interpret it, it was finally struck out of canon in The Timeless Children... only to be replaced by a new, incredibly-contentious origin for the Doctor. Ah well.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Agent Carter is definitely canon, despite being non disney+. Same Character, Actor, and continuity as Captain America: First Avenger, and the first "Agent Carter" content was a short that appeared not on TV, but was included in the DVD release of Iron Man 3.

That being said, marvel doesn't really seem to have much of a plan for the Inhumans- even in print they have killed off nearly all of them and exiled the rest to god knows where. If we see them again it will be a complete reboot and not linked to whatever this mess was.
Feige only agreed to do Inhumans because otherwise Perlmutter wouldn't let him do Captain Marvel, which is the movie he really wanted to do. When Feige successfully ousted Perlmutter from the film side, he immediately jettisoned Inhumans. It's been clear that Feige really, really doesn't want to do Inhumans.

Which kind of makes sense, since the whole reason that Perlmutter was pushing Inhumans was because he was pissed at Fox having the X-Men rights, and was doing everything in his power to obliterate any characters that Fox had rights to. It's telling that as soon as Disney got the rights back to F4 and the X-Men they've been returned to their rightful place, and the replacements that didn't work have been swept under the rug.

I don't think Feige was interested in a spite project.

Mugenhunt

Oct 17, 2019
Okay, so the first arc of the Slayers light novels were adapted into two anime seasons, Slayers and Slayers Next. But since the second arc had had a new supporting cast, the anime just never adapted it at all and did three more seasons of original content. Slayers Try, Revolution, and Evolution-R.

Since then, the novels have restarted again, dropping the new characters from the second arc and just having the cast from the first arc return and more or less acting like the second arc never happened to make it more accessible to the anime fans.

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
So much of Venture Bros. gets retconned later that it's hard to pick out any one thing, but the retcons tend to be funnier than the original (assumed) events, so...

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Does Deadpool count with how it basically makes fun of Xmen Origins: Wolverine?

edit: Nevermind I see i was beaten to this response by an hour.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Feige only agreed to do Inhumans because otherwise Perlmutter wouldn't let him do Captain Marvel, which is the movie he really wanted to do. When Feige successfully ousted Perlmutter from the film side, he immediately jettisoned Inhumans. It's been clear that Feige really, really doesn't want to do Inhumans.

Which kind of makes sense, since the whole reason that Perlmutter was pushing Inhumans was because he was pissed at Fox having the X-Men rights, and was doing everything in his power to obliterate any characters that Fox had rights to. It's telling that as soon as Disney got the rights back to F4 and the X-Men they've been returned to their rightful place, and the replacements that didn't work have been swept under the rug.

I don't think Feige was interested in a spite project.

Agree with you 100% here.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You'd do well to find a Doctor Who fan who ever accepted the revelation that the Doctor was half-human from The TV Movie, but the modern series has all-but ignored it, and many plots and characters that it introduced would make no sense if it was taken to be true.

Depending on how you interpret it, it was finally struck out of canon in The Timeless Children... only to be replaced by a new, incredibly-contentious origin for the Doctor. Ah well.
It was brought up in a few late 90s books, but then it was also swept under the carpet. The second Capaldi series also had a reference to it but no overt confirmation.

I think the closest we have to an explanation is that the half-human thing was a peculiarity to the Eighth Doctor's genetics.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
Godzilla has multiple movies that are direct sequels to the original, ignoring everything afterwards. The 86' Godzilla does it and it's one of the most well-regarded in the franchise.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017

I'm really hoping the next showrunner retcons out the awful changes made to the Doctor's origins by Chibnall as soon as they can lol.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The Edward Norton Hulk movie pretty much ignored as ever existing.
William Hurt as General Thunderbolt Ross has returned in Civil War, Infinity War, and Black Widow. They confirmed Abomination would be back for She-Hulk, though I don't recall if they said whether or not Tim Roth would reprise the role at all. Not that they'd need to, since the point is that he's permanently transformed.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
The TV show Family Matters retconned the existence of the second daughter, Judy, in the latter half. Or maybe it was due to Urkel-related bikinis, I don't know.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
William Hurt as General Thunderbolt Ross has returned in Civil War, Infinity War, and Black Widow. They confirmed Abomination would be back for She-Hulk, though I don't recall if they said whether or not Tim Roth would reprise the role at all. Not that they'd need to, since the point is that he's permanently transformed.
I mean, I don't really think bringing back a bit character (without even really referring back to the original movie) is much of a homage. Even for accounting being recast, Banner's character never even remotely alludes to *anything* that happens in The Incredible Hulk, most glaringly with character relationships like with Betty Ross.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I too was caught off guard when Rey and Finn made no reference to Jar Jar and Mace Windu.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I don't really think bringing back a bit character (without even really referring back to the original movie) is much of a homage. Even for accounting being recast, Banner's character never even remotely alludes to *anything* that happens in The Incredible Hulk, most glaringly with character relationships like with Betty Ross.
I mean, this isn't true?

-General Ross and Banner haven't interacted (so far as we know), so they've had no reason to say anything to each other. Ross, if I recall asks about the Hulk's whereabouts during Civil War, but that's it.
-Footage of the events of The Incredible Hulk is shown in both Iron Man 2 and The Avengers
-The Avengers has Bruce refer to reaching a point of attempting to commit suicide. While it was cut, there is a scene of Bruce going to Alaska and trying to kill himself (an extended opening, I believe?) filmed for The Incredible Hulk. Yet again, it was deleted, so while it is no technically a direct reference, at the same time it could have been. The Avengers is effectively making that scene canon.
-While canonicity is heavily debated, aside from Abomination's confirmed return in She-Hulk, he was also mentioned in Agents of SHIELD with Coulson telling Ward he'd put him on duty guarding Blonsky's cell in Alaska (I think it was Alaska).

Betty and Bruce are a pretty glaring omission, but The Incredible Hulk had Betty staying with Samson and Bruce deliberately choosing to leave and live in solitude and that being the relationship they'd agreed to. The other hanging thread is Samuel Sterns aka The Leader having been infected with gamma irradiated blood and beginning to gain gamma powers.

Like The Incredible Hulk has had more than homages. Also bringing back a character isn't an homage. It's straight up bringing back a character. I'm honestly confused about this thread. The MCU stuff is pretty tightly done in all honesty so I dunno why people are bringing that up.