• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I never finished Digimon Tri.

Do they really just ignore season 2?!

If we go by some of the poster logic in here...

images

No they didn't! That's Davis! He's right there at the right in the final episodes! That alone makes his repeated absence and all the plot problems created by doing an effort to keep him out and never show or mention him or the events of 02 not applicable!

Then they take him to a hospital off screen!

02 is well represented!

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Never been a fan of "It made money!" As a gotcha like something can't make money and still sour people over it or have seriously poor choices.

So nah.
They weren't just talking about money, they mention the reception of ROS, but yeah I do think all the money they made still counts as a "success story" from the title.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
intro-1572968147.jpg

Mark from Parks and Recreation. This man never existed and the show is better for it. I love how, in his last episode, he gives Leslie plans for the layout of the park she wants to build, and then a few seasons later there's an entire episode about doing that exact thing that doesn't even acknowledge the plans he gave her.

One of the few great examples. I almost forgot he existed

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
idk if retcon is the right term given how the adaptation of manga traditionally works, but FMAB more or less retcons FMA

there is a minority contingent of asoiaf fans who say the show isn't canon (dozens of us!)

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
idk if retcon is the right term given how the adaptation of manga traditionally works, but FMAB more or less retcons FMA

there is a minority contingent of asoiaf fans who say the show isn't canon (dozens of us!)

I don't think this counts, since one follows the actual story while the other greatly deviates from it.

I don't think, for example, that rebuild of Evangelion ignores the story of Evangelion, it's simply a different take.

It would be different if a FMA "sequel" came out and simply ignored the ending and went back to the brothers journeying together like the ending never happened

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like its setup in the game so possible sequels can dive into it. But GoW doesn't even begin to broach the shit he did outside of killing his father.

Kratos' entire attitude and demeanor is a result of his actions, its pretty obvious the entire game that even though he doesn't talk about it (which is in character for him) it still weighs on him heavily.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I always interpreted Samus Returns as an apology letter for Other M and conspicuous course correction. Some elements of it seeped through though, like the emphasis on ninja-esque action moves and those silly wedge heels Sakamoto refuses to get over.
Metroid_Samus_Returns.jpg
This game was a remake of the original Metroid 2: Samus Returns for Gameboy.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yu-Gi-Oh SEVENS ignored all previous 6 series, and creates it's own ruleset for the game while ignoring the original rules (even though they are implied to exist)

And the shows the best Yu-Gi-Oh has been in years...

I can't believe I forgot that one

Unless having a random character summon Blue-Eyes white dragon once counts

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars has explicitly not retconned the prequels.

And all three of the sequel trilogy films made more than a billion dollars, so I'm not sure what counts as a "success story" if those don't. Yeah, TROS is dogshit, but it was not a failure by any metric that would matter to Disney.

The only failure in the Disney Star Wars film lineup is Solo, which lost money and references the prequels the most of any of the five films. So there's that theory out the window about four different ways.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
DMC2 is hilarious because I think originally it was decidedly so far into the future to more easily ignore it kind of like a Street Fighter III situation but they eventually decided to just make it a prequel to DMC4 instead and not bother explaining it.

That's a bit what happened with Dragon Ball Super ignoring GT, although of course it doesn't make any sense that all of the developments in Super aren't mentioned in GT so the latter can be safely considered retconned out.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Adding more female Transformers to the IDW comics.

Originally the IDW 2005 continuity worked under the idea that there was no "reason" for Transformers to be female... Which falls apart when this apparently "genderless" species all are referred to as "he". Arcee was infamously made a mentally scarred lab experiment by a mad scientist.

Eventually, in 2013 they finally made the decision that there was a lost colony of female Transformers called Caminus. They also added some more trans female characters, while trying to make Arcee's story arc less problematic.

In fact, all of the TF colonies have female Cybertronians: not just Caminus, but all others like Velocitron (Moonracer), Eukaris (Airazor, Blackarachnia), Carcer (Elita One), etc. It's been vaguelly alluded to that Cybertron originally also had two genders, but became a single-gender society at some point in the past (most likely after the departure of the colonists). As far as I know, no explanation was ever given for that transition; my own theories include the oppressive Functionist government having a hand on it, or perhaps lack of contact with organic species that rightfully avoided Cybertron like the plague (Anode mentions it's this contact that made her question her own gender).

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's worth noting that Capcom doesn't mind using characters from Street Fighter III, it just seems to be the whole "ditching the existing cast" thing they want to avoid.

On that note, Soul Calibur VI is a reboot that mostly recalls the first game but also pulls in characters, movesets, and appearences introduced in II, III, and IV.

Let's not talk about V.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Never been a fan of "It made money!" As a gotcha like something can't make money and still sour people over it or have seriously poor choices.
It wasn't just "it made money." TFA and TLJ were darling films. Do u know how many studios wish they could have a TFA tier "faceplant?"
Nothing about TFA soured the vast majority of people off of SW, not with TLJ. TROS even managed to be a terrible prequel quality tier film and even THAT didn't sour people on SW.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't go nearly far enough in emphasizing just how terrible of a person Kratos is. At least when it comes to the plot. But as a character driven narrative it's absolutely about a toxic relationship between a father and son. Due of the former's past affecting his ability to properly form a relationship. I do think the game should've been much more adamant about it as it never even touches on him killing his family but I suspect that the sequel which was teased as having a time skip will address that part specifically.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm pretty sure Highlander 2 is never mentioned anywhere again in the rest of the series, but I'm not the biggest Highlander fan so I could be wrong.

Yes, this. It is better for everyone if we just pretend that there is no Highlander 2.

Also Superman 3 and 4.

The rape of Carol Danvers. Actually I'm sure there are many, many, many examples of "good" comic book retcons because of the nature of work for hire superhero comics.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Not a whole chapter or movie, but:

the fast saga

32cd272ecf53bb16e17a85a10dfa90bd0edeb5c3.gifv

EPpSH3YWoAIBXLy.jpg

More purely a retcon that straight up ignoring what came before, but it's the finest example of retconning in media history

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky Balboa ignores Rocky V.
Dragon ball Super effectively ignores everything after the Kidd Buu saga.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Are we saying ignore as in "pretend they didn't happen so we can retcon them" or "just don't talk about them?"

Like sure, they sequels may not talk about them much but is that really that big of a deal?

Please tell me where is Anakin in the final 3 films of the "Skywalker saga" and tell me why he let his worst enemy torture his family for decades, eventually leading to their literal death, one by one. Never tried to help his nephew, his daughter, etc... nope.
Or why he let Luke fail to find the mcguffin to reach exogol even though Anakin himself had the device ..?

Please.

Once you realize this makes 0 sense, and the only reason is that they wanted to please RLM as FJ pointed out, maybe you'll get it.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Rocky Balboa ignores Rocky V.
Dragon ball Super effectively ignores everything after the Kidd Buu saga.

Doesn't it happen before the events of End of Z and GT, though? It's still supposed to canonically go to "end of Z" hence Ubuu showing up but still having no clue what's going on. The only reason GT seems like it's out the window is because Super made up these super powerful forms that (obviously) don't show up or get mentioned later.

I mean it's obvious GT isn't happening in this timeline but I wouldn't say it ignores it when timeline wise it happens before it.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't it happen before the events of End of Z and GT, though? It's still supposed to canonically go to "end of Z" hence Ubuu showing up but still having no clue what's going on. The only reason GT seems like it's out the window is because Super made up these super powerful forms that (obviously) don't show up or get mentioned later.

I mean it's obvious GT isn't happening in this timeline but I wouldn't say it ignores it when timeline wise it happens before it.
With all the Super Saiyan God drama I doubt Ubuu would have even registered a blip on Goku's radar considering how insignificant Buu would be at that point. The ending of Z only really makes sense if the events of Super didn't occur and Buu was the last powerful villain everyone faced.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes, but they talk about the God massacre, not things like

He killing his own daughter and using that woman in GOW3 to open a door

i felt like GOW worked precisely because it reckons with its' own past and lore. There is also something to be said of the player's knowledge of the previous games being a stand-in for characters constantly talking about those events to give them bearing on the plot.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Xenosaga I&II on Nntendo DS retconned the PS2 games. Episode III followed the story of I&II. I wouldn't really call it a success; the series was basically doomed at that point. Nintendo bought Monolithsoft not long after the release of Episode III. The changes they made for I&II were great, though. It's my preferred version of the story. It's just a shame there never was an English release.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
On the topic of Dragonball, the Super incarnation of Broly is in my opinion an improvement in every way over the original. Loved that movie so much I saw it twice in theaters.

Snert

Banned
Dec 1, 2020
intro-1572968147.jpg

Mark from Parks and Recreation. This man never existed and the show is better for it. I love how, in his last episode, he gives Leslie plans for the layout of the park she wants to build, and then a few seasons later there's an entire episode about doing that exact thing that doesn't even acknowledge the plans he gave her.
Came here to post the same.

Nearly everyone returned for the finale season and they didn't even give him a mention.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Godzilla resets it's timeline to "starting over again after the original movie" every 20 years and it's fine.

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
I think that was 100% true when namco was still making it. The Retro pitch that got them the game could have a completely new concept for all we know
I mean the ending is not a big revelation or anything so i can see them keeping it

Since it was basically an excuse to have Sylux get a Metroid

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
With all the Super Saiyan God drama I doubt Ubuu would have even registered a blip on Goku's radar considering how insignificant Buu would be at that point. The ending of Z only really makes sense if the events of Super didn't occur and Buu was the last powerful villain everyone faced.

Ubuu was literally in the last storyarc of the manga.

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
The most blatent example of this kind of thing is probably Red Dwarf.

Seasons 1 - 6 : Rimmer is dead and an asshole
Season 7: Rimmer is dead and a hero (and exits to a parallel universe)
Season 8: Rimmer is alive and an asshole (and a different entity to seasons 1-7)
Seasons 9-13: Rimmer is dead and an asshole again.

No direct information is given about whether S9-13 Rimmer is Rimmer #1 or Rimmer #2.

It doesn't make sense for it to be Rimmer #1, because there are episodes where he shows a modicum of courage and its treated as major character development.
If it's Rimmer #2, no explanation of his second* death is ever actually given. What's even funnier is that last shot of Seaons 8 is him literally kicking the Grim Reaper in the nuts.

Creator is on record as saying its Rimmer #1 but explaining what happened 'wouldn't be funny'. Since 7 and 8 are universally considered to be the weakest seasons, no-one cares in the slightest except in the ultrafan compulsion to have every detail squared away nicely.

(*technically third but that's not important right now)

In the 'same but completely opposite' catagory, it also has the most blatent example of 'important stuff happening offscreen' between seasons 2 and 3 - with Lister giving birth to twins (a big deal as he's the last human alive), Kryten joining the crew as a permanent member, and Holly changing actors/appearence/gender and a major set redesign. A script exists which covered all this, but was never made because 'it wasn't funny'

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it really counts but the Godzilla series has reset the timeline and wiped out the previous movies in the series multiple times:

THE_GODZILLA_TIMELINE.jpg

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I actually did think about that, but Marvel TV was kept pretty separate at the time (wasn't that still Perlmutter? Or am I misremembering?) so I'm personally more okay with handwaving it.
HOWEVER, I think it's totally valid to consider it an actual answer to OP's question, because it was clearly at least considered at one point.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I actually did think about that, but Marvel TV was kept pretty separate at the time (wasn't that still Perlmutter? Or am I misremembering?) so I'm personally more okay with handwaving it.
HOWEVER, I think it's totally valid to consider it an actual answer to OP's question, because it was clearly at least considered at one point.

Kinda.

Inhumans didn't start out as a TV series. It started out as an announced film for Phase 3. Those plans got dialed back to Marvel Television (this is likely due to the Perlmutter/Feige conflict- Inhumans was always Perlmutter's baby) but at the time, Marvel TV wasn't all that separate- Agent Carter had been moved to ABC and that one *IS* canon to the MCU as far as anyone knows. Marvel's Most Wanted was planned to tie into the MCU but ABC passed on it, leading to Inhumans moving to a TV spot.

Inhumans just got buried after a problematic development period and Perlmutter losing most of his influence. Not only is it "not canon", that show and everyone on it is persona non grata and never, EVER mentioned, which didn't happen with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. or even the Netflix Marvel stuff.