• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man. Some of pics I've seen are just unreal. I grew up with Spider-Man looking like a red/blue Pitfall Harry.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
Star Wars Battlefront II. I only just started playing but holy nutballs this looks good. It's giving me next-gen vibes because of the textures and effects.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Red Dead on Xbox One X. As a PC gamer, this is the only game that I thought looked as good as the PC version would look.

That native 4K image was something to behold for an open world game. I still can't believe they were able to do it.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Red Dead this gen for sure. Those sunsets and misty mountains looked as crisp and clear as anything taken by a high quality camera.

I think the most impressive game of all time for me will always be Resident Evil: Revelations on the 3DS. It looked a bit better than Resident Evil 4 in parts, and it was a launch game on a handheld!

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon looks great, but there are many apparent sacrafices they had to make to get it to look that good. Such as foliage and water interactivity, and some pretty agreesive pop in. I think red dead was ultimatley more impressive for A.) being native 4k on xbox one x console hard ware, and B.) its sacrafices to achieve this dont seem nearly as big as horizons. I even think it looks just as good if not better than horizon in all cases
It's more on the few moments, like seeing the Thunderbird's wings glistening in the moonlight without shimmering, or fighting crazy amounts of machines at once with no apparent framedrops. Some of the battles you can get into is pretty crazy.

Say, if Horizon was released after RDR2 though? I probably wont be as impressed.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Honestly, no. Everything this gen I've seen is within the expectations of what I believed the current generation of consoles can do. Stuff like RDR2 is good but I can 100% believe it's running on consoles one generation above RDR1. Nothing has pushed the hardware in a way that's impressed me like, say, the 360 port of Titanfall 1 or Velvez and Dubail's old Nintendo handheld games.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think so, it is a good looking game, but i don't think it is a benchmark or anything, honestly.

Anyway, Shadow of the Tomb Raider impressed me a lot on base PS4. the natural world is breathtaking and characters models are great.
If Death Stranding isn't the peak currently, I know for damn sure it isn't Shadow of the Tomb Raider
19-11-2018-shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-guide.jpg

Cmon...

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Detroit Become Human on base PS4 hardware was pretty mindbowing. Everything looked so perfect.

Can't imagine how good it looked on the Pro

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Not from any of the games I've played. This gen still looks last-genny to me. The upgrade was not real.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2 on One X is pretty much above everything else released this gen.
Also Gears 5 running at 60fps while looking that good.

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead 2 for sure.

Also playing Breath of the Wild in handheld mode. Being able to play something that looked like that on a handheld device was pretty crazy.

And since I have played some of it at E3, I can say that I can't believe FFVII Remake is real, though for different reasons.

2020 looks like it may have a few contenders. Cyberpunk, Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, Halo Infinite (assuming it's cross-gen), etc.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding is just incredible. Everything from the character models, environment/terrain, IQ, natural lighting. It's blowing me away.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon - I took more screenshots in photomode than I ever have in any game. Just a mindblowingly good looking game at all times.
Red Dead Redemption 2 - The draw distance on base consoles is INSANE. I don't know how they did it.
Spider-Man - Just like with RDR2, the draw distance is incredible. Plus the detail on the suits and characters is top notch.
Uncharted 4 - Pretty much every 5-10 minutes in this game there are gorgeous vistas that I had to stop for a bit and take in / take screenshots of.

Oct 31, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn is the most technically impressive title of this generation, often times artistically as well.
Agreed.

I'd also like to add Uncharted 4, Spiderman, GOW, Death Stranding, GT Sport, and RDR2 to my list of jaw dropping games I can't believe they got to work on consoles.

Edit: Forgot to mention PSVR. Games like AstroBot, Ace Combat 7, and GT Sport look sublime on it. The whole tech itself shouldn't even work on PS4 but it just does. I'm impressed that Sony was able to pull it off on the Pro what more the base PS4.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Most of the games I play are AA anime looking games, so pretty much any time I decide to play a big AAA game my mind is completely shattered. God of War and Horizon really stick out to me.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
The Crew 2 is not a good game, and it's not particularly impressive visually. But in a gen where so many open-world games feature lengthy load screens if you want to fast travel, The Crew 2 has both one of the biggest maps I've seen and virtually no loading to warp across it. No idea how they managed that.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Not really.

Uncharted 4, God of War, RDR2, Gears 5 etc. all look amazing but nothing really felt groundbreaking or anything.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 Pro. Still absolutely stunning.
The Order 1886. Just incredible looking, though I can see how it was accomplished since it is linear.
Forza Horizon 4 on Xbox 1X. It's right up there graphically with the best racers on closed circuits, but still open world.
Gears 5 XB1X - Game looks stunning, it's one of those "Shit they actually made it look so much better somehow" from the previous title.
RDR2 - PS4/XB1X. Rockstar are tech gods. I did not expect it to look as good as it does.
Doom Switch. - It's fucking Doom on Switch. Jesus.

Last gen was probably The Last of Us , KillZone 2 and Uncharted 2 on PS3. Halo 4 on Xbox 360 and Killzone Mercenaries on Vita.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Death stranding looks way too photorealistic at times. It really does look like that unreal engine rebirth demo in some areas.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
The view distance in RDRII and Spider-Man literally made my jaw drop.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian, in no other game thus far have I seen an as convincingly real and lovable creature AI: