• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
God of war ps4 during the final fight
Spider-man suit
Uncharted 4 during the set pieces
Lost legacy during the set pieces
Forza horizon 4

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The physics of GTAV were toned down heavily from IV to achieve those visuals, it's a shame GTAV wasn't saved for Gen 8.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Especially when you consider that this game handles a lot of giant enemies plus several smaller ones plus lots of special effects at once without breaking its frame rate. There can be really big battles in this super-detailed open-world what makes it even more impressive. And it can be breathtakingly beautiful *forrestatnightgif*
I swear it doesn't hold the framerate perfectly. In Meridian especially, though in some fights I sensed what seemed like slight framerate drops. This was on a base PS4 though. Still impressive given how nice it looks.

Jan 21, 2019
I assume that's because God Of War 3 is so over the top that it makes a lot of games look lowkey

Like, the gods in 4 kinda felt like X men comapred to how they felt like actual gods in 4
Yeah I almost forgot how crazy the spectacle is around you while you are playing. Titans fighting Gods in the background while you are fighting mobs. There hasn't been a game since with so much background bombast. And it was running on PS3...

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Breath of the Wild on Wii U is pretty nuts. The size of the game, interactivity, physics, systems. Just the whole package. To think a game on last gen hardware revolutionized the way I look at games today is pretty extraordinary.

For visuals alone, I found Days Gone and Uncharted 4 extremely impressive.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
RDR 2 is just astounding for six year old hardware, that wasn't really state of the art at the time.

Uncharted 2 when you get to Libertalia still floors me.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Crysis 2, despite all its faults, seemed amazing at the time on a 360.

Also, I was surprised at base X1 graphics for RDR2.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand The Order 1886. I finally got around to playing it last month for the first time after years of seeing beautiful screenshots, and while it is indeed a looker, there's just something that strains my eyes when playing it in motion. My eyes constantly felt like they couldn't comfortably focus on any particular thing. There's some blur, bad DOF or some other shit going on that makes it so unpleasant. I've never experienced it with a game other than this one.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Gran Turismo Sport on PS4 Pro makes me feel this way daily.

Spider-Man is impossibly good as well.

RogerL

Oct 30, 2017
EA Battlefront, remember the E3 reveal, and the comments "Not possible"?
www.youtube.com

Star Wars Battlefront Reveal Trailer

Star Wars™ Battlefront™ goes on sale November 17th on PS4, PC and Xbox One.The ominous thud of an AT-AT stomping down. Rebel forces firing blasters. Imperial...

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Horizon Zero Dawn and Red Dead Redemption 2. The latter especially looks photorealistic so many times I was really, really impressed.

Nov 28, 2017
The Order: 1886, Driveclub, Death Stranding, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Forza Horizon 4, God Of War, RDR2 all qualify.

But this, at a 60 FPS target...

VtlVMu3.gif

Goddamn Capcom, you fuckin' wizards. Oh, and REmake 2 as well.

Deleted member 4552

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last-gen had GTAV for me. The visual fidelity , scope, physics, of that game was absolutely incredible. It is still impressive today. Did you feel this way about a game last-gen? What about this gen?

giphy.gif

Dude you chose an xbox 360 game.
Of course it's going to run on a PS4 and be better in every way.

Edit: I can't read. Mucho apologies!

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
The character action genre has been blessed by Capcom. I can't believe how damn good Devil May Cry V looks.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So many games :

God of war
Red dead redemption
Death stranding
Horizon zero dawn
Detroit become human
Uncharted 4 /LL

then after these the following games had parts that wowed me :

Until dawn
Gears 5/4
Witcher 3
Days gone
Far cry 5
Spiderman
Devil may cry 5
Shadow of colossus and last guardian
Tombraider shadow and rise
Final fantasy XV
Ni no kuni 2
Ratchet and clank
Batman Dark knight

Last edited:

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
As someone with a base PS4:

Horizon zero dawn initially.

God of War impressed me as well, but wasn't as grandiose as GoW 3 so that affected my perception slightly.

Red dead redemption 2. Hands down the best looking thing out there. Some linear AAA quality in a fully open world.

On a sidenote: I am enjoying DMC V, it can look good at times but it's too inconsistent and not all that great. At least on a base.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
The Outer Wilds was literally the only time this gen that I thought a game couldn't have been realized on last gen platforms. Sure, other games would look much worse on last-gen, but gameplay wise they wouldn't be particularly different. Outer Wilds on the other hand just constantly does things that I wouldn't have thought possible last gen.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Death Stranding.

The ground geometry in that game is freaking insane. I'm playing Forza Horizon 4 right now and can't help but feel like the ground looks too flat.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Honestly, it was Horizon Zero Dawn that made me first me in complete awe.

SoWpTuP.gif

Old Luke

Jul 20, 2018
Double dipped GTAV, both on 360 and on the PS4, and sometimes I forget that I've played it on a last gen console.

Still can't believe how they did that.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, on most of the PS4 exclusives that I played I was wondering how is this possible on this hardware.

The Order 1886, Uncharted 4, GT Sport, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man, etc.

As a PC gamer the first games that gave me the impression that they are really more impressive on PC than these console games is Red Dead Redemption II and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

cdr Jameson

Oct 27, 2017
No man's sky PSVR, the full game in VR.
I never deemed that possible. It is beyond my wildest dreams that this is possible.

Sure at a cost, but an amazing feat nonetheless.

ShinNL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Portable Skyrim is the #1 reason why I bought the Switch.

Ended up playing mostly docked but I still shock myself every time when I lift that thing up "Oh damn, it does still work like that... damn".

Nowadays a lot more games are added to the library and it makes me want to respond with the meme "Wait, that's illegal". But Skyrim was the first.

On the pure home console side, what I also call the desktop side, there has been nothing that I thought was innovative and is probably the reason why if it wasn't for the Switch, I wouldn't (or rather, still wouldn't, since I skipped the entire last generation as well) be playing games.

But the new Half-Life looks cool, but I don't consider that accessible with it's price point and hardware.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
In this gen specifically, God of War constantly and Resident Evil 2 with its boss fights, especially the very last one.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
red dead redemption 2 but it's Rockstar. not sure how they managed to get V running on a PS3. not dumbed down physics as someone said LOL. driving/physics were improved.

breath of the wild running off a switch with just battery power.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon looks great, but there are many apparent sacrafices they had to make to get it to look that good. Such as foliage and water interactivity, and some pretty agreesive pop in. I think red dead was ultimatley more impressive for A.) being native 4k on xbox one x console hard ware, and B.) its sacrafices to achieve this dont seem nearly as big as horizons. I even think it looks just as good if not better than horizon in all cases