• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding is currently the benchmark for graphics on consoles currently, and I played 50 hours and never saw a bug or glitch

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
As a kid, someone told me the PSP was "a handheld PS2"... and they were kinda right.

My first games were Need for Speed Underground Rivals, and Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix. Back in 2005, I couldn't believe how well these games translated to a handheld. Then I got Grand Theft Auto - Liberty City Stories and was blown away yet again.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Gears or War 5 on Xbox one X hands down. Had to look at my gaming PC which is next to my X just to make sure I wasn't really playing on it when I fired it up.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Gears looks next gen compared to everything else. Need to laugh at some of the games listed here that couldn't lace it's boots despite being slow walking simulators.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I genuinely have this feeling every generation with a handful of titles.

Going off of first impressions alone, Batman: Arkham Knight, Uncharted 4, Witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Horizon Zero Dawn, Breath of the Wild (playing Switch portable), God of War 2018, Red Dead Redemption 2, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Devil May Cry 5 are among ones I can just list off the top of my head.

Some of them haven't aged quite as nicely even a few years on, but I generally end up impressed at how far devs can push consoles at some point in their lifespan -- all of those games gave immediate impression of "oh, wow, so this is what this console can do. I didn't think I'd ever see that."

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The Order 1886 was definitely the first time I felt that this gen. Shit was ridiculous in 2015.

giphy.gif

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Order 1886 and Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy on PS4
Red Dead Redemption 2 and Gears 5 on Xbox
Luigi's Mansion 3 on Switch

Also, Witcher 3, DOOM, Forza Horizon 4, Horizon, Driveclub

Last-gen, in order of when they released (I think):

Gears of War
Super Mario Galaxy
GTA IV
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
CoD4
Metroid Prime 3
Killzone 2
Uncharted 2
Red Dead Redemption
God of War 3, last gen's big winner for this IMO
inFamous 2
Battlefield 3
Sonic Colors
Xenoblade Chronicles
NFS Most Wanted
Halo 4
The Last of Us
God of War Ascension
GTA V

Last gen had a LOT more games that blew me away than this gen did tbh

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Exploration of No mans sky

nemesis system

the overall graphics, in game systems and online implementation of death stranding.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Xenoblade Chronicles X, the most beautiful open world ever... and you can even fly through it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn is the most technically impressive title of this generation, often times artistically as well.
I agree. Especially when you consider that this game handles a lot of giant enemies plus several smaller ones plus lots of special effects at once without breaking its frame rate. There can be really big battles in this super-detailed open-world what makes it even more impressive. And it can be breathtakingly beautiful *forrestatnightgif*

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead 2 in 4k is pretty impressive.

Detroit is breath taking at times. As are Death Stranding, God of War, Gears 5 and Spider-Man.

But a game truly presenting something thought impossible on current gen is hard to imagine.

Everything is so scalable these days.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Some of the environments in Death Stranding are absolutely gorgeous. Especially everything to do with rocks looks borderline real. Also the faces in Detroit often look jaw dropping

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Most games this gen has been inline with my expectations. RDR2 was the biggest outliner for me because not only is it open world but it looks so much better than everything else while being so. For switch botw still hold the number 1 spot and it's crazy how I never imagined something portable and a decent size being so good looking.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2, no game comes anywhere near it. The sheer breadth of its open world is simply staggering.

Last edited:

pagrab

Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon 3, Red Dead Redemption 2 (I played it on the Pro, so I guess I would have been even more shocked on X) and Death Stranding - the vistas in this game are breathtaking.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Uncharted 2 blew my fucking mind.

Really the first game that made me say HOLY SHIT out loud with its graphics.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I recently started playing the PS4 remake and you are so right. There is still stuff that blows me away. It's somehow more impressive than God of War 4 even though that one is technically superior in every way.

I assume that's because God Of War 3 is so over the top that it makes a lot of games look lowkey

Like, the gods in 4 kinda felt like X men comapred to how they felt like actual gods in 4

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Last gen was the 3DS port of Xenoblade Chronicles. This gen is the Switch port of Warframe.

May 24, 2019
Death Stranding. I remember seeing the animated Beowulf movie as a kid and being blown away by this scene (minor NSFW for supernatural nudity):

I remember thinking 'that looks exactly like Angelina Jolie!' and thinking about how far away this kind of human animation was from what we were seeing on consoles at the time. 12 years later we're seeing basically the same level of fidelity and quality rendered in real time on home consoles with Death Stranding (and, I'm sure, some other titles too that I'm not familiar with). Blows me away. I can't wait to see where we're at 10 years from now, it's gonna be crazy.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
MOTHER 3 really makes you wonder how the heck did they fit all of this on a Gameboy. The fact that there's such a massive and varied sountrack, as well as 8 chapters of content really makes you sad that the game has not been released in the US legally.

On a side note, Pokemon Crystal Clear has so many additions that I can only assume are due to the fact that the people who worked on that didn't need to fit things into a cart. Having the whole game be open world as well as having so many quality of life features + roaming pokemon just feels so liberating.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
GTA: Chinatown Wars written for the NDS... At the time where in-game voice acting was virtually nil on the system, and you get to listen to deadmau5 beats.

But I forgot which programming language was used. It wasn't the usual C language.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm to the point with the basics -- resolution, textures, poly counts, IQ, etc. -- where I think most games look pretty good, and I expect them to look pretty good on big-assed expensive consoles. So I've been most impressed when I undock my Switch; even though it's nigh on three years old, I still get a kick out of seeing games like Hellblade, Warframe and DOOM in handheld mode, on a little six-inch tablet.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
RDR2 on the X. Still can't believe how good that game looks and they managed native 4K on top of that.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Death Stranding is currently the benchmark for graphics on consoles currently, and I played 50 hours and never saw a bug or glitch

I don't really think so, it is a good looking game, but i don't think it is a benchmark or anything, honestly.

Anyway, Shadow of the Tomb Raider impressed me a lot on base PS4. the natural world is breathtaking and characters models are great.