• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Aug 26, 2019
Last-gen had GTAV for me. The visual fidelity , scope, physics, of that game was absolutely incredible. It is still impressive today. Did you feel this way about a game last-gen? What about this gen?

giphy.gif

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The first game to make me feel this way this gen was God of War 2018,and of course,Red Dead Redemption 2 is even more impressive.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
First game that made me think that was Batman Arkham Knight. When it released I don't think there was anything that looked better.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon ZD, GoW, and Death Stranding look way better than I thought anything would on this gen.
And PSVR in general.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
It's insane to me that RDR2 looks as good as it does on the OG PS4 and XB1.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider was really impressive. That end game section was absolutely incredible and I've never seen anything quite like it.

Jun 2, 2019
This is basically Nintendo Switch: The thread.

If you're a handheld user then this is something you end up getting used to. Basically anything by VD Dev fits this thread like a glove (V Rally, Asterix, Driv3r in gba, COP the recruit on DS, Ironfall on 3DS)

But, well, if I have to mention specific, personal cases, i remember wondering if Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo Tooie were really N64 games, Super Mario Galaxy thanks to a clever combination of artstyle and the Wii hardware basically does the impossible, and Breath of the Wild on the Wii U oooh boy...

Nov 1, 2017
Not really. I remember when games had characters that might be five little blocks or merely one. Seeing the jump since the Atari/Coleco days nothing really surprises me at this point. I expect things to always get better each gen and new titles to push the boundaries of what has come before.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn is the most technically impressive title of this generation, often times artistically as well.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Red Dead. My PS4 sounded like it was in pain while playing it but man does it look good.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
Replaying Until Dawn this past halloween and it still looks phenomenal on my OG PS4 with its motion capture and detail to photo-realism

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Donkey Kong Country on SNES was particularly mind blowing to me as a kid. Even the marketing campaign had to remind us that it was indeed on SNES and not a 32 bit machine.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 on Xbox One X
This was the biggest one for me this generation.

Yes, Rockstar has more money to throw at development than most and they have the luxury of spending 6+ years making a single game, but at some point you're going to hit a ceiling with the hardware no matter how much time or money you have.

For RDR2 to look as incredible as it does, while offering a massive, obscenely detailed world with impressive physics, full day/night cycle, tons of wildlife, weather effects, deformable snow and mud, insane draw distance and LOD, all at 4K/30 is just mind-blowing to me. I honestly did not think the One X was capable of what RDR2 delivers.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Last gen was def Halo 4.

It still looks better than a bunch of stuff this gen. Those in engine cutscenes are jaw dropping to this day.

I think the undisputed king has to be red dead 2. It's borderline photorealistic, utterly gargantuan and the attention to detail is somethin that you are used to seeing from linear corridor shooters...only somehow stretched out to an open world. I still find the gameplay terrible but from a technical perspective nothing comes close.

Maybe gears 5 from a purely technical standpoint. 40k60 is supposed to be the next gen standard and it manages to do it in a game with open world elements and serious attention to detail. It isn't as visually impressive as RDR2, but getting 4k60 without making graphical compromises is crazy.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Most late games this gen, knowing with context just how shit those CPU jaguar cores are.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think a game will give me this sensation as Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 did

edit: I missed the crucial point of the title

Well...Shadow of the Colossus remake, then?

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Having worked on the PS2 and knowing first hand how much of a PIECE OF SHIT it was, Final Fantasy XII was MINDBLOWING as a fellow game developer. Like, oh my god how did they manage, it seemed impossible.

Last edited:

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Modern Warfare, Red Dead 2 and Breath of the Wild.

I know this is largely because of the pro consoles, but this gen doesn't feel tired at all and I haven't felt the need to switch back to PC to get acceptable IQ and performance like I did last gen.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Too many to name. Visuals for games this gen in particular have truly reached a seriously ridiculous point. Near photorealism was reached this gen.

Nearly any game that releases these days is impressive, whether it's 2D or 3D, Indie or AAA.

Visuals in games are *very* healthy right now, and they're only getting better.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keyboard and Mouse oriented games getting competent, genuinely solid ports to consoles. Seeing games like Baldur's Gate or a feature-full Civilization being playable on a controller is just wild. I genuinely thought those sorts of games couldn't be done justice without a KB&M

Oct 25, 2017
Yes:

Killzone Mercenaries, UvMC3, and MK9 on the Vita, and BotW and Super Mario Odyssey in handheld mode on the Switch.

Handhelds fucking blew my mind this generation.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Last gen: Halo 4, I remember playing that at the end of the 360's life. Walking around the Forward Unto Dawn at the beginning I was in awe that it was the 360 looking that good.

This gen: if I had to pick I'd say Red Dead 2. Some of those vistas just looked absolutely gorgeous.

Deleted member 52407

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 23, 2019
I haven't been that impressed this generation like I was last generation, so Gears of War was it for me on X360.

The part in particular was "Downpour" chapter. The way the lighting looking in the rain just had me floored. Look at the beginning of the video.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
God of War 2018 is definitely gives off that impressive, mainly being the character models are notably far beyond what I've seen in other action adventure games this generations (Beside maybe Uncharted I'm thinking) Breath of the Wild on WI U is certainly a contender. But even BOTW on Switch is impressive for just from a technical standpoint because the 3D modeling of the environments is so well done.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding tbh. The character models are just insane. As is most of the world. I've been floored by how good the game looks.

Jan 21, 2019
Silent Hill 3 - PS2
God of War III and The Last of Us - PS3
Any Sony exclusive, DMC5, Resi 2 - PS4

Funny thing with PS4 there are so many games that blow me away graphically yet every time I question how it is possible on 1,8TF and a toaster CPU.

Next gen is gonna be insane.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Red Dead. My PS4 sounded like it was in pain while playing it but man does it look good.

Absolutely stunning game. Cant believe there were people on this very forum who Said the game looked average in trailers

Last gen: Halo 4, I remember playing that at the end of the 360's life. Walking around the Forward Unto Dawn at the beginning I was in awe that it was the 360 looking that good.

This gen: if I had to pick I'd say Red Dead 2. Some of those vistas just looked absolutely gorgeous.

This is a good shout too, but its a shame in halos case because it severly hindered enemy count and level size and complexity.

Halo 4 and gta still look great even with just slapping on 1080P and 60FPS