• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are Your Thoughts on Bioshock Infinite?

• It's the best Bioshock game... was and still is.

Votes: 205 10.9%
  • It's a great game. I don't really get the hate.

Votes: 775 41.1%
  • Thought it was great but kinda fell out of love with it after some time.

Votes: 265 14.1%
  • Just forgettable really. Don't remember anything about it.

Votes: 198 10.5%
  • Yeah. It was always a shallow and fun game with poor execution of its themes.

Votes: 362 19.2%
  • I've never really tried Bioshock

Votes: 91 4.8%
  • The worst Bioshock game. Decent, but not up to the standards of the first two games.

Votes: 250 13.3%

• Total voters

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
BioShock Infinite was alright, which was a huge disappointment compared to what I was expecting it to be.

Liked the gameplay, hated the level design and found the plot mildly interesting while I was going through it.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Where did you get the "both sides" argument from the clip I posted?
His stance is that the game plays it way too safe with the racial commentary to avoid controversy, which is true -- it takes the extremely non-challenging and conservative stance that when Fitzroy usurps power from the rich white overlords she's just as awful and oppressive as they were.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
No, because the public consensus didn't flip. The vast majority of people liked the game and it's primarily the vocal people on forums who didn't like it.

It's a badass game. Loved it and still do.

This so much. I'll also add bloggers and angry failed indie game designers who were jealous they couldn't make a game with a shred of creativity within.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Why exactly doesn't this hold up?

You can disagree with whether or not the racism should have been portrayed more realistically, but the game absolutely felt like it held back in order to avoid offending people.

Didn't it offend tons of people?

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
BS:I is a weird one for me.

I am an odd one as I found BS1 very clunky in terms of gameplay but enjoyed a lot of aspects of the game (art direction, setting, story etc).
So BI2 was great for me as it felt like it expanded on the gameplay in a lot of ways but obviously the story and setting wasn't as innovative or fresh.

Then BS:I came out and was the first game I got on a brand new PC. Cranking all the settings and playing at a locked 60 with a mouse felt like such a step up from consoles. The game just starts so strongly and I was really impressed by it but as it goes on it was less and less fun.
To be honest finishing it was quite an effort for me to finish. For me the turning point is the ghost boss and whole revolution aspect.
I've actually replayed the game a few times but just stop around there. So I think the flipped reaction was there from the start.

There are some fun ideas, like the lutece twins or a character who rips off unwritten modern music via the rips and other touches.
But it all gets dragged down by a later half that is just very messy and not that much fun. It also has the weird aspect of some weapons having two types that are almost identical and unnecessary.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
This so much. I'll also add bloggers and angry failed indie game designers who were jealous they couldn't make a game with a shred of creativity within.
Yeah that sounds reasonable. All those people that love video games enough to try to make a career out of them picked this one game to hate on because their project didn't get picked up by Steam Greenlight. It all makes sense now.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
His stance is that the game plays it way too safe with the racial commentary to avoid controversy, which is true -- it takes the extremely non-challenging and conservative stance that when Fitzroy usurps power from the rich white overlords she's just as awful and oppressive as they were.
You keep going to the both sides issues, which I agree was a failing of the game, and the DLC removing any agency from Fitzroy only made it worse in an attempt to "correct."

But the clip is specifically of his criticsm of the non-use of the n-word in the game, implying that the developers/marketing too cowardly to use it because it may offend people. But he has taken it upon himself to say it repeatedly so as to not have that word's use and history "erased."

Sep 28, 2019
I just played and finished it for the first time ever, thanks to PS plus. I loved the gunplay and art style, Columbia is also a great setting. My two biggest issues with it was the removal of the weapon wheel and somehow I feel like I couldn't explore the world like the original let me. Solid 9/10

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
dd0mOjv.jpg

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
You keep going to the both sides issues, which I agree was a failing of the game, and the DLC removing any agency from Fitzroy only made it worse in an attempt to "correct."

But the clip is specifically of his criticsm of the non-use of the n-word in the game, implying that the developers/marketing too cowardly to use it because it may offend people. But he has taken it upon himself to say it repeatedly so as to not have that word's use and history "erased."
And I think there's a point to be made that you shouldn't make art set in a (somewhat) historical setting that ostensibly sets out to take on racism if you're too scared to even show how nasty racism really was to avoid offending your player base. It's a challenging topic which is fundamentally at odds with a game that plays it as safe as possible.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I think there's a point to be made that you shouldn't make art set in a (somewhat) historical setting that ostensibly sets out to take on racism if you're too scared to even show how nasty racism really was to avoid offending your player base. It's a challenging topic which is fundamentally at odds with a game that plays it as safe as possible.
This.

It what made Columbia an interesting setting but completely wasted it.

The Watchmen TV series however capitalized on it and it was great.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Found the setting really interesting, but the gameplay was so boring I actually switched over to Battlefield's 4 singleplayer campaign instead.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
do you remember any that you can directly cite

I remember going on numerous blogs on places like Gamasutra and people were constantly shitting on it. Every time it was brought up in any sort of discussion regarding game design, people were on the ready to shit on it. I honestly can't remember just a few specifics because it happened so often.

I won't lie, the backlash towards Infinite made me drop off from gaming, simply because it was so intense. It was not a perfect game, for sure, but it moved the series forward in more than a few directions and BioShock was the series that made me a gamer for life. It was in many ways a step in the right direction, but we don't even have Irrational Games anymore.

So if I come from a place of irrationality (no pun intended), just give me a break. I don't call the first game the best piece of art in any medium for me for othing.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird that the poll doesn't include a simple "it's just a bad game" option.

apprently the worst thing you can say is either you didn't play it or it was "decent"

I don't see the horrendous writing, I loved all 8 seasons of GoT. No problems there.

Bioshock Infinite is my favorite Bioshock game.
I don't know why but this is really funny to me

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember going on numerous blogs on places like Gamasutra and people were constantly shitting on it. Every time it was brought up in any sort of discussion regarding game design, people were on the ready to shit on it. I honestly can't remember just a few specifics because it happened so often.

I won't lie, the backlash towards Infinite made me drop off from gaming, simply because it was so intense. It was not a perfect game, for sure, but it moved the series forward in more than a few directions and BioShock was the series that made me a gamer for life. It was in many ways a step in the right direction, but we don't even have Irrational Games anymore.

So if I come from a place of irrationality (no pun intended), just give me a break. I don't call the first game the best piece of art in any medium for me for othing.
Bioshock Infinite is still my favorite despite my issues with it's narrative. I'm not the biggest FPS fan so I don't really have any critiques towards the gameplay despite acknowledging that most criticisms towards it are valid.
I loved it when it came out but the "both sides" politics of it have dated it horribly.
There was nothing dated about it. It was terrible then.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
All I remember of Infinite was some cool set pieces in-between long swathes of uninspired linear gameplay. Considering this game was the latest iteration in a genre that originated with Ultima Underworld and System Shock it was disappointing it was basically turned into a linear action based shooter.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed elements of Bioshock Infinite but there are so many issues including a couple atrocious boss fights, the actual combat being very uneven and a lot of cool elements that really felt undercooked. You could feel the development issues in a lot of the games aspects.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I enjoyed the game for its story, and twist, but I felt it failed to deliver on the e3 trailers gameplay promises. In fact I'd say the gameplay was its weakest part

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

It got a lot of flak for the game design because (very specifically) the game design is somewhere between "bad" and "perfunctory" on the general scale. The environments are a succession of combat arenas designed for 8-16 enemies (you may replace 3 enemies with an "elite" or 6 enemies with a "miniboss" as needed), 2-3 means of navigating them (at least one of which will always be skyhook), and 2-3 spots where Elizabeth can magic up a cut-and-paste environmental asset like a cover element or turret. These arenas are separated by very brief traversal sections that mostly just seem there to give Elizabeth a chance to do cute things and are rarely fun or interesting to explore, since they almost never make a difference in how you're going to arrive at the next arena.

That's not even getting into the abysmal boss encounters.

It feels very much like a game built by artists where the game design was an afterthought, probably provided as a cookie-cutter "template" (ala Skyrim dungeons) that a non-designer could hew to fairly easily without input. I'd say in that regards it's basically a (much better) version of The Order: 1886.

Note that this is about game design--level design, encounter design, game mechanics, etc.--not about dialogue, aesthetics, world-building, etc. A game can have horrible game design and still captivate people, but it is relatively odd in this case since BioShock's game design, while perhaps never amazing, had never felt so... tacked on.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
I beat the game launch week after a friend had gone through it. I remember halfway through the game I started making a list of questions/possible plot holes because I thought I was just really stupid that I wasn't understanding a lot of decision making being done in the story. Also wrote the mom boss fight in there as "is this really hard and bad or am I missing some god tonic?". Then I join the discussion and see either blind praise or some plot holes getting mentioned but handwaved, but everyone agreed on the ghost fight being universally bad. Oddly enough no one ever got past the first question on my list "why didn't booker just cover his hand" IT'S A MYSTERY TO EVERYONE. Years go by and I see the opinion of the game quickly dwindle and then that super long youtube video came out from that one guy and like a lightswitch everyone flipped on it.

Most overhyped, overpraised game with fanfiction tier DLC. B1 was a trendsetter and B2 was a great sequel that maintained two very important things to the series, making sense and being very fun. B:I just decided to look very pretty with it's art and leave everything else at the door.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I remember being super excited by the visual design of Columbia and then playing it and feeling like they completely squandered the idea by the end.

I don't hate it by any stretch of the imagination, but I expected A LOT MORE than we got. The first few hours were great but by the end I just wasn't feeling it anymore. Especially the ending.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I overrated it, but I still think it's the best Bioshock game and a fantastic game overall.

Perfectsil

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego
I don't see what you see, it's the consensus #2 Goty game of 2013 behind TLOU, with all the supposed hate it's still voted #2 on the old site

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 4. People were going nuts about it after release. Wasn't till much later where people seemed to come around to hating it.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Weird that the poll doesn't include a simple "it's just a bad game" option.

apprently the worst thing you can say is either you didn't play it or it was "decent"

I don't know why but this is really funny to me

Apologies. The 4th option is supposed to represent "it's just a bad game". It's supposed to read: "Shallow and unfun"

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed the game a lot, but the squandered potential really hurt. It was pretty shallow at the end of the day and clearly had a lot of cuts. Loved the presentation and story though.

It was my favourite game from 2013.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the game a lot, but the squandered potential really hurt. It was pretty shallow at the end of the day and clearly had a lot of cuts. Loved the presentation and story though.

It was my favourite game from 2013.

I used to have some sources in Irrational back at that time and I remember hearing a lot about how critically low team morale was near the end of development. I was such a huge fan of Ken Levine before that point and I started to lose all respect for him, especially when he shut the team down and kept a few of his favorite employees to start his new studio while leaving the others jobless.

That new venture of his sure panned out well, huh...really worth firing most of the studio, wasn't it? :(

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017

This is what I call a trash take.

Also, LOL at praising Infinite's "creativity" when it's a far more compromised version of its predecessors and the game design can be boiled down to "slap dash combination of Halo and Call of Duty".

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to have some sources in Irrational back at that time and I remember hearing a lot about how critically low team morale was near the end of development. I was such a huge fan of Ken Levine before that point and I started to lose all respect for him, especially when he shut the team down and kept a few of his favorite employees to start his new studio while leaving the others jobless.

That new venture of his sure panned out well, huh...really worth firing most of the studio, wasn't it? :(
Come to think of it, they still haven't released a new game yet, have they?

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018

Anything has come out of his newly-formed Ghost Story games? Last I've heard they are still working on an unannouced project that's supposed to be an immersive sim. Nothing has been revealed to my recollection.

2K also announced that they are working on a new Bioshock entry but also no additional information has been revealed.

Am I missing anything?