• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
i think folks are finally moving beyond the lazy "robot farts" AVGN mess and hearing/playing more varied examples, so the synth is finally getting its flowers & others take that as a shot on the SNES because the soul still burns
Can I use this as an excuse to post this example of music done on the Genesis? I admit, was just looking for a post that almost kind of ties into me dumping it in this thread:

I still can't believe it's done *only* on the Genesis/MD hardware. I've played it on a flash cart and can confirm, it feels like magic.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I owned a Genesis. I just don't like the sound, even some of the best sounding games. Sonic 3, and Vectorman are probably the most positive music memories I have of the system and going back to them, I'm still not in love the sound fonts. It's not that they sound "bad" per se. It's just... limited. It sounds like a synth. That's part why the sound effects are all kind of a bummer to me as well, they just sound like a synth attempting to make weird facsimiles of sounds. The timbres are pretty limited.

I say this as someone in music production and as an audio engineer. I would NEVER put the majority of genesis sounds in any production or song I'm writing. I just viscerally don't like it. Most of it just sounds.. cheap? I guess for the lack of a better term. The percussion especially reminds me of the cheap toy Casio keyboards I so hated the sound of.
If you don't like synth, that's fair. I can completely understand that.

I do want to share a few examples, though, that you may not have heard. They're still very FM synth but I think they sound quite nice as work well as game music. I feel like the 'crunchy' sound along with clean, sharp synth works well here. That said, this is a tricky system to source audio for as it varies from model to model and is often handled poorly in emulation. Bad emulation often sounds wayyyy too harsh and bright. Also, many later model systems exhibited poor audio quality, unfortunately. So these tracks are just samples - not sure of where each track originates from.

I'd be interested to hear your take on the different tracks especially as an audio person.

Time Dominator 1st
www.youtube.com

Treasure Castle | Socket | Genesis | Soundtrack

Song: Treasure Castle Game: Socket System: Sega Genesis Playlist URL: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-vD6rIjXrcK5phP63lK5jL-u2-xSojlG If you want me...

Vapor Trail
www.youtube.com

[SEGA Genesis Music] Vapor Trail - Full Original Soundtrack OST

***All my soundtracks are recorded from authentic NTSC Model 1 VA3 Genesis hardware*** You know the drill. Track listing below. 0:00 Vapor Trail 3:05 Bloody ...

Streets of Rage 2, of course
www.youtube.com

Streets Of Rage 2 - Go Straight

Streets of Rage 2, known in Japan as Bare Knuckle II: Shitō he no Chinkonka (ベア・ナックルII 死闘への鎮魂歌 lit. "Bare Knuckle II: The Requiem of the Deadly Battle"?), an...

Sparkster
www.youtube.com

Sparkster - Stage 1-1, 1-3 (Sega Genesis)

Composers: Akira Yamaoka (山岡晃) Akiropito

Gleylancer

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Battle Mania - this one is interesting as it leans heavily into synth to create a very menacing sound but it also has tight percussion and deep bass.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Alien Soldier

- YouTube

Xeno Crisis - a newer game but a great sound that leans into the crunchy audio you get from the system
www.youtube.com

Xeno Crisis OST #05 - Area 3 - Dunes

Xeno Crisis original soundtrack composed by Daniel Bärlin (Savaged Regime) for the Sega Mega Drive. Mastered by Lee Mintram (Featurecast). Order your copy of...

...and yeah, anything from Savaged Regime is amazing and really showcases what's possible. I'm not confident Super NES could deliver anything as crisp and clean as, say, this...

www.youtube.com

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Mystic Cave Zone (YM2612 Rearranged)

Original by Masato Nakamura, Izuho TakeuchiSupport me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/savagedregime

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard these before, they're awesome. so, quick question. Would it have been possible for me to have heard these tunes back in the day coming from my actual Mega Drive or does this require some extra "stuff" from modern softwhere.

Also, is there a YouTube channel that's generally regarded as the best one in audio quality terms for listening to 16-bit era tunes.
They don't require anything extra. "Solar Modulation" for instance was created for soundtrack that was released on a literal cartridge that plays on any stock Genesis.

1.jpg

YM2017 · Catskull Electronics

A brand new album on a cartridge exclusively for the Sega Genesis

What homebrew scenes have is the advantage of decades of accumulated know-how. Which is true for any piece of hardware.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, another great example of Mega Drive audio. This sounds great.

www.youtube.com

Tanzer Sega Genesis/Megadrive Soundtrack

↓↓↓ Track List en la descripción ↓↓↓ Soundtrack completo de "Tanzer". Juego creado por Megacat Studios para Sega Genesis/Megadrive. Full "Tanzer" OST. A home...

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Or perhaps it's not "hate" but simply a clearheaded analysis of its pros and cons.

Nowadays when you criticize anything there's a defense force forming up to say that "no, it was good!"
I really think it is "hate": I can't seem to go into a Super Nintendo music discussion thread around these parts without somebody bring up a ton of examples as to "why the Genesis/Mega Drive sound is superior". It's like entering a Donkey Kong Country music thread and suddenly someone brings up how it sounds sooo much better on the Genesis. I mean, what the hell man.

It's almost thinly veiled trolling. Call it "clear headed discussion" if you like, but I don't think every discussion involving the Super Nintendo's sound needs to involved their competitors in every regard.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
David Wise music sounded better on the SNES to me. He really knew his way with the SNES soundchip. Genesis music compared to the SNES version.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
It's one of those situations where, to the layman, the SNES sounds miles ahead of anything else in its timeframe.

But when you know how the SNES sound chip operates in comparison to the Yamaha hardware in the Genesis it's a bit less impressive. Sure, there's still some great music being pumped out of that thing, don't get me wrong, but the SNES audio is basically the midpoint between proper "chiptunes" and pre-recorded music.

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Weeeeyyyyy we're here again with this old chestnut.

Both systems have great tracks, a lot of Megadrive tunes are just WAY too harsh with the FM CLANG though, the SNES however, a lot of the tracks just give me this weird sick feeling at the back of my throat, I just can't listen to them. It's something to do with the shortness of the sound samples, combined with the TOTAL LACK of ADSR envelope on so many samples.

Also the snes built in reverb is so so so bad and so many songs use it in lieu of having to bother doing ADSR envelopes it feels like to me.

I think the Snes also sounded a bit crap to me coming from having had an Amiga 500 for years beforehand. Whereas Megadrive just kind of sounded the same as arcade machines had for years.

Anyway have a song.

Outrun 2 cover done by Yousuke Yasui on the MD chip. I like listening to this a lot.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I really think it is "hate": I can't seem to go into a Super Nintendo music discussion thread around these parts without somebody bring up a ton of examples as to "why the Genesis/Mega Drive sound is superior". It's like entering a Donkey Kong Country music thread and suddenly someone brings up how it sounds sooo much better on the Genesis. I mean, what the hell man.

It's almost thinly veiled trolling. Call it "clear headed discussion" if you like, but I don't think every discussion involving the Super Nintendo's sound needs to involved their competitors in every regard.
MegaDrive and Super Famicom were the two main sources of video game music in the console space (in the west) at the time. It's unsurprising that they're being compared. OP themselves did talk about other competitors.

I dunno it's pretty obvious that, if we're talking sound quality/clarity, the sound the Yamaha chip produces, as low end as was that chip at the time (it's technically a downgraded version of a high-end chip if I'm not mistaken), aged much better than the sound produced by the Sony chip (which let's not get ahead of ourselves wasn't exactly groundbreaking either). Especially now that some of us have access to high-end sound systems.

And even disregarding the competition, the sound produced by the SFC chip is pretty low-quality. It uses low frequency, low bit depth samples for most soundtracks and no amount of filtering can circumvent that.

That being said, that sound has its charms, especially for people like us where nostalgia plays a huge role, but this charm is that of a low quality sound, much like a crackling recording can have its charms, but can objectively be criticized as being of low quality.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
what on earth am i reading here?

mmx? sfii? goof troop? all have amazing sounding music!
MMX1 has one of the all-time greatest soundtracks.

But all three X games on the SNES have the same kinda awful sounding, off-key samples.

Just listen to the "guitar" that comes in at around 33 seconds.

It's like nails on a chalkboard

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have always not been a big fan of it, as far as I can remember. Some soundtracks it works great - Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, Mega Man X do good.
It's kind of everything else. Farty and muffly and echoey - Not a fan.

That said, the Genesis soundchip is also over-romanticized - When it's good it's fuckin good , but I don't think it gets to that level as frequently as some people think.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It still blows my mind that this was possible. Although the implementation was well outside of the box and not how the sound chip was meant to be used. The results are astounding.

My problem with the Genesis is it was really only good at one thing, and it really couldn't create any songs that I would classify as "beautiful" like I would countless SNES tracks.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
If you don't like synth, that's fair. I can completely understand that.

I do want to share a few examples, though, that you may not have heard. They're still very FM synth but I think they sound quite nice as work well as game music. I feel like the 'crunchy' sound along with clean, sharp synth works well here. That said, this is a tricky system to source audio for as it varies from model to model and is often handled poorly in emulation. Bad emulation often sounds wayyyy too harsh and bright. Also, many later model systems exhibited poor audio quality, unfortunately. So these tracks are just samples - not sure of where each track originates from.

I'd be interested to hear your take on the different tracks especially as an audio person.

Time Dominator 1st
www.youtube.com

Treasure Castle | Socket | Genesis | Soundtrack

Song: Treasure Castle Game: Socket System: Sega Genesis Playlist URL: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-vD6rIjXrcK5phP63lK5jL-u2-xSojlG If you want me...

Vapor Trail
www.youtube.com

[SEGA Genesis Music] Vapor Trail - Full Original Soundtrack OST

***All my soundtracks are recorded from authentic NTSC Model 1 VA3 Genesis hardware*** You know the drill. Track listing below. 0:00 Vapor Trail 3:05 Bloody ...

Streets of Rage 2, of course
www.youtube.com

Streets Of Rage 2 - Go Straight

Streets of Rage 2, known in Japan as Bare Knuckle II: Shitō he no Chinkonka (ベア・ナックルII 死闘への鎮魂歌 lit. "Bare Knuckle II: The Requiem of the Deadly Battle"?), an...

Sparkster
www.youtube.com

Sparkster - Stage 1-1, 1-3 (Sega Genesis)

Composers: Akira Yamaoka (山岡晃) Akiropito

Gleylancer

- YouTube

Battle Mania - this one is interesting as it leans heavily into synth to create a very menacing sound but it also has tight percussion and deep bass.

- YouTube

Alien Soldier

- YouTube

Xeno Crisis - a newer game but a great sound that leans into the crunchy audio you get from the system
www.youtube.com

Xeno Crisis OST #05 - Area 3 - Dunes

Xeno Crisis original soundtrack composed by Daniel Bärlin (Savaged Regime) for the Sega Mega Drive. Mastered by Lee Mintram (Featurecast). Order your copy of...

...and yeah, anything from Savaged Regime is amazing and really showcases what's possible. I'm not confident Super NES could deliver anything as crisp and clean as, say, this...

www.youtube.com

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Mystic Cave Zone (YM2612 Rearranged)

Original by Masato Nakamura, Izuho TakeuchiSupport me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/savagedregime
Some of these are very impressive and definitely have a great sense of energy to them, I think for me it just really comes down to not loving the FM synth sound. Some games definitely found ways to use it to a pleasant effect though. Especially many of your used examples.

like I said, I think my biggest criticism really just comes down to the nature of the synth, it sometimes comes off as a one trick pony. Because nature of their very similar timbres, many of these feel like they could come from the same soundtrack.

I think my favor towards Super Nintendo comes down to enjoying the warmth and just the sheer variety it being a sampler gave it. You could never mistake Star Fox's or Donkey Kong's sounds for each other for instance.
I guess really just comes down what you prefer, variety and warmth or consistency and brightness.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I like this Seiken Densetsu track because it's a pretty good example of what I associate with SNES sound.

Most of the instruments are quite pleasant and harmonious. Good use of strings, woodwind, a xylophone, etc.

And an absolutely dreadful, low-quality, muffled percussion sample that tries its damnedest to overpower the whole track.

You can have your lush RPG scores, but Megaman X sounds better on Genesis. :P

Super Metroid too.

Oof to that Super Metroid one. Especially the Brinstar track. Sounds flat.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
It's one of those situations where, to the layman, the SNES sounds miles ahead of anything else in its timeframe.

But when you know how the SNES sound chip operates in comparison to the Yamaha hardware in the Genesis it's a bit less impressive. Sure, there's still some great music being pumped out of that thing, don't get me wrong, but the SNES audio is basically the midpoint between proper "chiptunes" and pre-recorded music.
I don't think it's a laymen thing. Liking or disliking FM synth doesn't make you more sophisticated. It's just... different.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a laymen thing. Liking or disliking FM synth doesn't make you more sophisticated. It's just... different.
Maybe the poster you quoted thinks producing music on the SNES is just selecting a couple of instruments out of a list and the notes they should play. Which isn't... quite how it works, at least for the better soundtracks.

OP
OP
Oscarzx n

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I think the "bad" rep is mostly from Era posters constantly defending the Genesis Yamaha soundchip, which, while indeed superior to its Master System bretheren, is definitely not the best Yamaha could offer in terms of FM sythesis. One could expect Sound Blaster-quality audio, but them the system price would no doubt skyrocket if they jammed in every bit of that soundcards modules in the system.
In many Youtube comment sections of comparison of Genesis and Snes games I have seen a lot of people complaining about the Snes audio, even in some games I think sound pretty good like The Lion King or Earthworm Jim 2. Hell, I remember some people saying the OST of Maximum Carnage was better on Genesis because it sounded clearer, and I think that games sounds awful on Genesis for the most part and badass on the Snes.

Last edited:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Nah. SNES sounds fantastic for its time. If anything, people are only now beginning to discover how unbelievably amazing the Megadrive sound chip was.

The Megadrive may only be able to do specific types of sounds very well, but if you use those, and you use them in compositions tailored to them, the sound quality is flawless even today. And that's the leg up it has over the SNES chip.

The SNES chip on the other hand does sound muffled and compressed, but is able to replicate a much larger variety of sounds. And despite it sounding "muffled" by comparison to the pure MD sound quality (or to modern audio), it still certainly sounded more than good enough to make the most of its variety. Not only does that mean the SNES is able to produce a much larger range of different types of instrumentation, allowing the masters to produce outstanding tracks, but it also means those who weren't so masterful were able to produce good sounding stuff much more easily.

I think most people, even those who sing the praises of the MD sound chip, perfectly understand all of the above.

Horses for courses. I'm partial to the MD sound myself. But I do recognize that the SNES chip was a significant leap forward technologically.

I'll leave y'all with this as an example of how good the MD can sound in the hands of a master:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, the Amiga and Neo Geo were on a whole different level.
I dunno, while the Amiga is interesting, it also has some pretty serious limitations. Games typically sound worse overall. There are some amazing sounding games, though (such as those that Chris Huelsbeck worked on). It's a very interesting sound chip.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
Makes sense really - everybody is an arm-chair warrior with access to Wikipedia and Youtube, the situation has likely reversed since James Rolfes awful AVGN videos becuase people like to have some sense of authority about a subject even if they don't understand it. Hence now its Megadrive>SNES.

I mean, the SNES as a form of Hardware isn't that interesting, fantastic games, but Mode-7 is a feature in its PPU hardware and the SPC700 loaded samples of varying quality you had to chop up to make interesting sounds, its a lot less interesting than hearing some home-brew warriors get 4-Channel PCM trackers written entirely in sofware on the Genny/MD because the 68K was a beast compares to the Ricoh c65a2 in the SNES.

But you know what it deserves to be that way, the retro game community has always had this odd Nintendo biased gate-keeping to it, owing also to the US having a monolithic view of everything in history and how its only important if its relevant to the Americas. Nintendo saved the video game industry! Nintendo barely made a register until the SNES, the Megadrive dominated a lot of Europe, with its own unique exceptions like Germany and some Nordic countries.

People forgot the rest of the Anglosphere (UK, NZ, AUS) and the entirety of continental Europe had a microcomputer boom in the 80's and thats where a lot of interesting software and game titles appeared that are much maligned or forgotten.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hang on? You forgot the rest of the Anglosphere (UK, NZ, AUS) and the entirety of continental Europe, we were doing just fine thanks. We had a microcomputer boom in the 80's and thats where a lot of interesting software appeared.
Computer gaming was alive and awesome in North America back then, too. There's just a weird revisionist erasure of it on message boards like this one, probably because most people that were there for that are in the 40+ year old minority.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, while the Amiga is interesting, it also has some pretty serious limitations. Games typically sound worse overall. There are some amazing sounding games, though (such as those that Chris Huelsbeck worked on). It's a very interesting sound chip.
That's mostly due to many Amiga games beeing just ports of the Atari ST games with poor sampling of the FM music used in those.

Games designed around the Amiga as the lead system have no such problems. It's akin (but in reverse) to people making SNES games, using samples for their music and then trying to replicate that in the FM chip, it just doesn't work.

This is why music from Huelsbeck, Whitaker, Brimble, Moby and countless other Amiga musicians is so far ahead compared to what you could find at the time.

Warszawa

Sep 30, 2018
Computer gaming was alive and awesome in North America back then, too. There's just a weird revisionist erasure of it on message boards like this one, probably because most people that were there for that are in the 40+ year old minority.

Aye, my apologies it seemed like a bit of a big F-U to the states, but theirs an absolute treasure trove of stuff from the old world, some junk, yes but some really unique idiosyncratic stuff that's getting written out.

Probably because it was on tapes and floppy! Which you can imagine don't last long!

It seemed a lot of the American industry got centralised much quicker in the late 80's, though their are some really interesting stories like the Commodore/Amiga/Atari fiasco and EA with Trip Hawkins etc.

Its great to see the indie boom in some ways, and I mean, what kind of world are we living on where there are at least a few titles a year being released for the SNES, MD/Genny and even Dreamcast. Thats bonkers.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard this myself, but maybe it's because everyone loved shitting on Genesis sound-quality while it could clearly sound just as good as the SNES in its own way. So maybe some people started a narrative where SNES music is suddenly "bad" and Genesis? I dunno if that's true at all, I just pulled that straight from my ass, but I know that I love both SNES and Genesis audio.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
It seemed a lot of the American industry got centralised much quicker in the late 80's, though their are some really interesting stories like the Commodore/Amiga/Atari fiasco and EA with Trip Hawkins etc.
I don't think I knew that Commodore was an American company until the 21st century. They hardly had any footprint here.

For my entire life, the American PC space seemed to consist entirely of the IBM + Apple lineages, and I was using PCs by the late '80s.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aye, my apologies it seemed like a bit of a big F-U to the states, but theirs an absolute treasure trove of stuff from the old world, some junk, yes but some really unique idiosyncratic stuff that's getting written out.
Definitely. I'm in Canada but was lucky to play a ton of European computer games back then. There were so many pioneering game musicans from over there.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As far as somewhat underrated SNES music goes, I always liked what the guitars sounded in Uniracers.

And the bass heavy soundtrack of Super EDF

Then there's Waterworld but I don't think that soundtrack is all that unknown these days

Probably one of the more famous "discoveries" in SNES music in the last 10 years or so.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I knew that Commodore was an American company until the 21st century. They hardly had any footprint here.

For my entire life, the American PC space seemed to consist entirely of the IBM + Apple lineages, and I was using PCs by the late '80s.
The C64 was hugely popular in NA, even more so than in Europe

On the other hand, the ST and Amiga computers were more seen as productivity systems than gaming ones. This is why finding big box amigas in the US is easier than finding an Amiga 500

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Too many people used the stock Genesis sound drivers and just tossed in a MIDI file with no thought to the voicing so it's almost all just a single kinda crummy "not-quite-a-sawtooth" sound to them all. Thin and bland. That said I fuckin love the Spinball options music, though it definitely sounds better with the 2612's default analog filter on it.

For me the big issue with the SNES sound is that even a lot of pretty good soundtracks fall victim to the low amount of available sample memory available. This means looping samples have really short loop points that create unpleasant overtones. Stuff has a tendency to sound tinny there too. It was an entire era of tinny game sound unless you really knew what you were doing.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Too many people used the stock Genesis sound drivers and just tossed in a MIDI file with no thought to the voicing so it's almost all just a single kinda crummy "not-quite-a-sawtooth" sound to them all. Thin and bland.

This is why GEMS gets so much hate that I don't think it quite deserves. AFAIK the driver isn't bad, but the problem was that its tools made it easy for composers to import MIDI files.

I can only assume that some composers didn't seem to want to do much more than import General MIDI compositions and assign tracks to crappy, nearest fitting, presets. You can't do that with the YM2612 and expect it to sound good. Just look at Doom on the 32x; it feels like something I could have knocked up in a day. The driver wasn't at fault.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I can only assume that some composers didn't seem to want to do much more than import General MIDI compositions and assign tracks to crappy, nearest fitting, presets. You can't do that with the YM2612 and expect it to sound good. Just look at Doom on the 32x; it feels like something I could have knocked up in a day. The driver wasn't at fault.

I put at least some of this down to western programmers not really having much experience with programming FM synth stuff outside of adlib and soundblaster cards, which usually had higher polyphony than the 2612 at the expense of voices only being 2-op, and thus a lot easier to arrange. They could have at least tried to get Doom 32X to sound almost 1:1 with the adlib arrangement, and it should have been easily possible.

===

Semirelatedly I will also never apologize for loving the Chakan soundtrack. It's like if Throbbing Gristle had invented dubstep, or someone locked The Residents in a room with the DX7. I believe this is Mark Millar who was an expert at getting the weird, unsettling sounds out of the system, and also was responsible for the Earthworm Jim soundtrack sounding so much better than on SNES.

Hellfire

May 26, 2019
One thing to think about in terms of game console audio hardware at the time is the SNES came out almost 2 years after the first CD based system. There where quite few games with good soundtracks released in that period as well. Ys Book 1 & 2 came out on the PC Engine CD a couple of days short of a full year before the SNES was released for example.

The Last Armageddon PC Engine CD port was pre-SNES as well. Just give me that battle theme on loop forever.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
This is why GEMS gets so much hate that I don't think it quite deserves. AFAIK the driver isn't bad, but the problem was that its tools made it easy for composers to import MIDI files.

GEMS is a catch-22. It's a powerful tool whose purpose is basically to eliminate the need for a dedicated sound programmer, allowing for composers to create music for the system without extensive technical knowledge of the hardware. But in practice this often leads to some detrimental corner-cutting and over-reliance on unimpressive stock voices.

To make an analogy beyond the scope of just music, I get the same kind of vibes from poorly optimized Unity indie games.

Deleted member 17210

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The C64 was hugely popular in NA, even more so than in Europe

On the other hand, the ST and Amiga computers were more seen as productivity systems than gaming ones. This is why finding big box amigas in the US is easier than finding an Amiga 500
So many C64s are dead now and thrown away so that's makes them seem more obscure today than they were when it was on the market. The Vic 20 was also considered a success in NA for its time.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Why the alleged pushback of the sounds of the SNES? Look at any VGM discussion at the old place, it's been SNES-leaning for ages.

Hellfire

May 26, 2019
Also, is there a YouTube channel that's generally regarded as the best one in audio quality terms for listening to 16-bit era tunes.
DUSTINODELLOFFICIAL is the gold standard for Mega Drive/Genesis music. Emulators haven't done such a horrible job with the SNES audio hardware so it's not quite as important for SNES games. You'll also run into uploaders putting extra effects on the tracks like reverb without mentioning it.

As a rule, avoid anything from SNESMD16-OST.

If you want to get into other 16 bit era music such as Japanese computer music it's a giant crap shoot with almost all of it recorded through some kind of emulator or another. You get weird stuff like the tempo on Rusty - I'll Destroy Your Mind being massively reduced when it's run through the Hoot music player so half of the uploads of that track are much slower than they should be.

Last edited:

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
It's less about the tools, and more about the hands that use them. Both of them have examples of mind blowingly phenomenal soundtracks, and arguably terrible ones too.

Honestly I'm floored by artists that worked on both platforms. Yuzo Koshiro in particular.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Why the alleged pushback of the sounds of the SNES? Look at any VGM discussion at the old place, it's been SNES-leaning for ages.
Because the SFC was a more successful system but nowdays with the resurgence of retrogaming and out current audio setups, its shortcomings are a lot clearer

Also SPC700 criticism used to be drowned out by SFC fans who just couldn't handle any negativity towards it.

Hellfire

May 26, 2019
That jerk doesn't split tracks into individual videos though.
He didn't do a good enough job posting time stamps on some of his earlier uploads and that's a pain especially on mobile devices where it's a really big problem.

Most of the rest of my problems with full ost uploads are covered by these:
www.wikihow.com

How to Share a YouTube Video at a Specific Time: 3 Easy Ways

A user-friendly guide to starting a YouTube video at a certain time Do you want to create a YouTube link that opens the video to a certain time? This can easily be done using a web browser with a built-in feature. While you can't copy a...

Otherwise, I don't think it's as big of a problem as your making it sound to have full ost uploads and is preferable in some cases. Given how much work it is just to do the recordings, asking for them to be split into individual tracks is asking for too much given how many sound tracks he uploaded, IMHO.

Last edited: