• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beat more games than average this year?

• Yes

Votes: 212 41.9%
  • No

Votes: 99 19.6%
  • Relatively the same as prior years

Votes: 195 38.5%

• Total voters

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda curious. I think I found myself to beat like at least +5 more games than average.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I would say I beat about the same number of games though I have never really been one to care about getting a Platinum before and I found myself not rushing to the next game and trying to trophy hunt a lot more this year.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I played through Final Fantasy VII, VIIR, VIII, IX, X, X-2, and Xenoblade Chronicles all for the first time in the span of like two months. I coped hard with some JRPGs this year.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
I've played so much Warzone/Modern Warafare and Destiny that I didn't have time for other games. I've played a lot more but I finished way less than other years.

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I probably beat more games this year alone than the rest of my life combined...
All main Final Fantasy games (minus the mmos), all kingdom hearts, chrono trigger, persona 5 royal, death stranding, the last of us part II, man of medan, tell me why and carrion.
Right now i'm playing through Dragon Quest XI.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I put my "finish all games that I started" goal back in 2018, so this haven't changed that much this year. If anything, due the financial situation I've bought less games, so I've finished less games this year.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Relatively the same. Been WFH since March, and most of my non-game related activities (yoga, hiking) I was able to continue with minor alterations. So the pandemic didn't really impact my schedule that much.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
2020 was the first year of my retirement. I was hoping to have a year that I could play a lot of games before starting back to college. ...but the lockdowns meant I became a stay-at-home dad with my toddler as she stopped going to daycare. So, I think I've finished fewer games this year...

Pineapple

One Winged Slayer
Mar 26, 2019
USA
At the start, I was but then became burnt out and just recently started to play games again.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Yeah I beat like 30+ games in the first half of the year, then like 5 for the rest of the year as things got back to normal.

Alark

Mar 16, 2018
I've only beat two games this year so much less than usual. But I also have a child now so I'm playing games much less anyway.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I finished Spider-Man Remastered and DLC in like 10 days (plat and all), while it took me like 3 months to plat the base game on PS4 back when it launched.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Pandemic + First rime Gamepass sub, meant I wound up finishing, give or take a game or 2 per week

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Weirdly enough, less games this year than usual. All I did was play games for the first few months of lockdown, so once I had opportunities to do other things I took them. Basically more golfing this summer than ever.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, would say so. Being 25 single and without kids definitely helped in that regard. Also spend a good chunk of the year changed from salary to hourly from a temporary paycut so got off at like 12 PM every Friday for like 5 months.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
as an adult, yeah. I imagine there were a few years in my childhood that compare

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Being in lockdown, I'm probably in the minority where I don't want to end my current game. But I'm running out of things to do, and if I go past a certain point, I get locked out and can't go back to finish off any missions I missed out on. This progression system in the game is hindering me and my enjoyment of wanting to play the game, and I'm trying to figure out how to finish the game without feeling that I'm missing out on something.

In other words, I'm putting off on completing a wonderful game, just because I don't want it to end. But I have to finish it because I have a bunch of other games I wanted to finish before the lockdown is eased up thanks to vaccines.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
I was gaming way less before November. Started gardening, took up yoga and a bunch of other stuff. Got a ps5 and I've been gaming more. Platinumed Astro Bot. Lol.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
No made the 52 games challenge two years in a row but not this one - but the sole reason for that is probably Dreams which I apparently have played about 300 hours (or more), with one of my two main projects just releasing today :D

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I beat 50 games, exactly, while furloughed from work for a couple of months. And spent more time with my wife, took a lot of hikes, played with my dogs more, read some books, and caught up on some shows and movies. What a glorious time it was.

I wish I didn't have to work.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say fewer games actually. At best I've been equally as busy as ever, and more busy most of the time.

I finally have three weeks off so I've been trying to get into a few games.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Was probably my busiest year ever with study, but I still beat more games than usual since I stopped being a completionist. That's probably the sole reason.

Nov 17, 2017
Fewer actually. When you are furloughed because of the pandemic, you really start to prioritize what you spend your money on. I only bought two games this year; Animal Crossing New Horizons and Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
I've been going into work as usual all throughout the pandemic, so there has been no change for me with much the past few months. Same amount of games as usual

Zaheer

Oct 27, 2017
No. It actually encouraged me to look at the list of games in my backlog and drop a bunch that I was never going to play. Besides a few games that came out this year, I found a little less than 20 I'm interested in playing. Just finished a 130+ hour playthrough of one a few days ago.

GoutPatrol

Oct 30, 2017
I was definitely playing more videogames this year, because I was playing as much Magic the Gathering as usual. Looking at PSN Profiles, I've had more trophies in the past three months than...ever.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Lack of a commute meant I played more games this year

that said, this year convinced me I'll never get to my backlog so I'm mentally able to accept That and move on from hundreds of games

Bosox06DH

Nov 19, 2019
I would say yes by a country mile. I have beaten more games this year than any in recent memory. For reference, I only beat around 10 games in 2019. I will finish this year likely with 40 games beaten with the goal to do 50 games in 2021.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I work for a state health department in a job that requires extensive onsite visits in healthcare facilities, so this year has been busier than ever...thus, fewer games beaten.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Fewer games overall but I've also played much larger games this year (Yakuza 3/4/5 and Judgment, Persona 5 Royal, Xenoblade, among some of the hefty ones). If I was going by sheer numbers it's not as much but time playing overall has to be a massive increase. I have gotten my backlog down to just 1 game which is great haha.

storophanthus

Nov 27, 2018
No, my own fault. I bought Tetris Effect for PS4 december last year, and played it for months, (got platinum) and continue to play Tetris 99 and puyo puyo tetris (personal sprint record hunting).
I planned to complete all challenges in 51 Clubhouse, but stopped because TLoU part II and until Mario 3D all stars, both of those games made me dizzy/vertigo so I haven't finished them and played Pikmin 3 Deluxe, which I haven't finished yet because AGAIN Tetris Effect Connected, which I'm now stop playing because AGAIN Puyo Puyo Tetris 2.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
It's been the same. I don't tend to beat many games, because there is usually one that I end up spending hundreds of hours on throughout the year.

In 2019, that was FE: Three Houses. In 2020, it was Animal Crossing: New Horizons. I played a few other games, but could have done way more if not for those timesinks

No regrets if I'm having fun with a select few games. That's really what gaming is about IMO.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I thought I averaged about 2 or 3 chunky story-based games the five years prior. Easily at double that at the moment.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing has monopolized my gaming time so much this year, I actually finished *less* games than average lol

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
With school taking up most of my time and being an essential worker, I've probably only finished one game this year which is just a little bit less than usual.

njean777

Jan 2, 2020
I have actually read more this year than any other since college (5 years ago). Finished 8 books so far this year and that is since June.