• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well if I hadn't got like a dozen pre ordered ATM I'd be tempted to agree but I do have a dozen preordered so...

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
They continue to put out Smash Bros amiibos, Link's Awakening has one next week, more Shovel Knight amiibos are also out soon and they keep reprinting old Smash Bros figures....

So, not really?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped collecting about 2 months ago. I was buying every one i came across and it just became very expensive. Now i only buy the ones i really want. So im getting the links awakening amiibo and possibly solid snake as well

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I love amiibo. Moderate to great quality first party toys of a lot of characters that would never sniff a figure otherwise. My kids and nephews love them too, and play big amiibo army battles all the time.

I think the difference is that we bought them as toys for children primarily; any game functionality was a bonus, usually literally (a lot of the unlock stuff clearly only existed because of needing to justify amiibo). If you bought them for the game stuff primarily they would probably be pretty underwhelming.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
I still collect them for my desk the ones that interest me, I rarely use them for their intended purpose

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also literally saw an entire shelf filled with the previously rare splatoon 3 packs, no one was buying them as they had been there for a few weeks, at gamestop

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018
This just sounds like something anyone could blindly say without any actual proof.

I'm guessing the fact they were on back order everywhere meant they sold pretty well

https:///pearl-marina-and-octoling-amiibo-up-for-back-order-on-amazon-japan/

I live in the DMV area and my best buys stock them and then they are gone except for Pichu..no one likes Pichu..But I live in a pretty populated area.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This just sounds like something anyone could blindly say without any actual proof.

Not last year, but 2017

Media Create: Top 10 Amiibo Figure Sales 2017

01. Amiibo Girl (Neon Pink) <Splatoon> {2017.07.21} (ÂĄ1.200) - 246.905 / 246.905
01. Amiibo Boy (Neon Green) <Splatoon> {2017.07.21} (ÂĄ1.200) - 240.702 / 240.702
01. Amiibo Squid (Neon Purple) <Splatoon> {2017.07.21} (ÂĄ1.200) - 206.706 / 206.706
04. Amiibo Callie <Splatoon> {2016.07.07} (ÂĄ1.200) - 111.216 / 410.516
05. Amiibo Marie <Splatoon> {2016.07.07} (ÂĄ1.200) - 110.510 / 408.699
06. Amiibo Link (Rider) <The Legend of Zelda> {2017.03.03} (ÂĄ1.500) - 72.335 / 72.335
07. Amiibo Mario (Wedding Outfit) <Super Mario> {2017.10.27} (ÂĄ1.200) - 65.635 / 65.635
08. Amiibo Link (Archer) <The Legend of Zelda> {2017.03.03} (ÂĄ1.500) - 56.666 / 56.666
09. Amiibo Bowser (Wedding Outfit) <Super Mario> {2017.10.27} (ÂĄ1.200) - 54.488 / 54.488
10. Amiibo Peach (Wedding Outfit) <Super Mario> {2017.10.27} (ÂĄ1.200) - 49.722 / 49.722

Total Amiibo Figure Sales 2017. 2.713.441
Total Amiibo Figure Sales 2016: 2.483.771
Total Amiibo Figure Sales 2015: 3.036.448
Total Amiibo Figure Sales 2014: 301.075

Media Create: Top 5 Amiibo Card Sales 2017

01. Animal Crossing Amiibo+ Card <Animal Crossing> {2016.11.03} (ÂĄ300) - 297.784 /553.731
02. Animal Crossing Amiibo Card Series 2 <Animal Crossing> {2015.10.29} (ÂĄ300) - 219.360 / 1.040.474
03. Animal Crossing Amiibo Card Series 3 <Animal Crossing> {2016.01.14} (ÂĄ300) - 212.284 / 627.368
04. Animal Crossing Amiibo Card Series 1 <Animal Crossing> {2015.07.30} (ÂĄ300) - 174.064 / 1.840.455
05. Animal Crossing Amiibo Card Series 4 <Animal Crossing> {2016.03.24} (ÂĄ300) - 171.258 / 431.703

Total Amiibo Card Sales 2017: 1.130.206
Total Amiibo Card Sales 2016: 1.388.442
Total Amiibo Card Sales 2015: 2.030.538

Also the Splatoon Amiibo figures were restocked in Japan last month

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The days of them releasing a dozen amiibo at a time are over. From here on it seems like we'll get the rest of the Smash set, and a few various ones from different series that have proven popular (ie Zelda, Mario). I'm hoping for a small set for Three Houses.

Oh yes, give us that Edelgard amiibo, you cowards!

Oct 28, 2017
The moment my huge collection didn't allow me to avoid grinding to add characters to play with in Smash Ultimate they became dead to me personally.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Amiibo are not toys to life and they still sell out when released. They just seem to only put out worth while new ones these days.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe they haven't released Qbby Amiibo in the west, it's going for over 300$ on ebay.

I'm mad since it's the only one I'm missing.. :(

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
33494.jpg

Where is Wonder-Red?!
sadly, diplomacy has failed

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Honestly, IMHO, they released way too many too quickly, and too expensive.

There was just almost no motivation to invest in them. IMHO.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
I've never cared about them "adding anything to games". They are a nice collector thing and they look amazing in my room.

I'm ultra excited for the time we get the Banjo amiibo and I will buy two if possible. I'm sure a lot of people will be excited about the Joker one. So there will be a lot of excitement about amiibo.

I don't know what do you expect about the media at this point ... amiibo previews, reviews?

I've seen 143715 pictures of the Link's Awakening amiibo since it was announced though ... so you even have that.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I started collecting a few but soon as I noticed how expensive it was going to be to get some of the older ones I bailed and sold off the ones I had.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd reprint some of the olders again and actually bother bringing them here. I'm still missing Smash Yoshi, Lucina and Cloud Player 2 :(

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Sales down
Inclusion down
Media coverage down

Has the time of Amiibos ended?

Was it always a shitty gimmick that preyed on collectors?

Did it add ANYTHING to games?

I remember in 2014 everyone was going crazy over Amiibo collecting but it seemed to die down after that. To be fair, 2014 was like one of the most forgettable years in gaming history so I guess there was nothing better to do than go gaga over Amiibos. I always thought they'd be leading up to a Nintendo-esque Skylanders but that never materialized.

stizz

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
Perhaps the best amiibo is days away from release:
Jl7x5MA.jpg

But Nintendo has obviously slowed down on them and games don't emphasize them as much. It was always difficult to balance their integration into games. You can't make them too vital, but also not useless. Over time I think fans have leaned towards buying them as Nintendo figures instead of actually using them in games.

No matter what the future holds, it's pretty incredible that the concept has lasted FIVE years. That's a much longer shelf life than many expected.
I preordered this and another zelda amiibo this week on an online retailer when available that was not Amazon. I will buy a few zelda amiibo when I am content. Well until I am content as I have never bought amiiboos before.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I just started looking into Amiibo. I've bought a few so far. Prices seem high for the ones I want. Missed out on the cheaper times.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think once Smash's line is done, which is probably some ways off if they do all the DLC, that'll be the end

It does seem pretty lucrative for them to release amiibo for games that make sense though, like Link's Awakening. Wouldn't be surprised if we get a Pikmin 4 amiibo, for example.

The days of them mattering in games is almost certainly over though - Super Mario Maker 2 stripping support was the biggest indicator of that.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
It's slowed but it's not dead. I suspect it's Nintendo realizing not everyone can drop a bunch of money on figures every month. Not every game needs them and using ones you can't find on store shelves is kind of dumb.

They've been doing reprints that sell through. I think we'll see more variety when Smash is over but it's not going to be a massive amount like it used to be.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like this thread is destined to appear every few months.

I think Nintendo realized that some series likely won't sell well, and amiibos did start getting a bit of an iffy reputation once a whole bunch of content was locked behind them (e.g. Twilight Princess, Codename STEAM, let alone Amiibo Festival).
They also realized, I would imagine, that most people buy them for having the figurines, rather than the in-game functionality.

I think the fact they're slowing down the releases isn't exactly a "death" of amiibos. There's also other collectibles to compete with, such as the pretty successful Totaku line. And they still release 3 Smash amiibos every other month and then some additional ones like the upcoming Link's Awakening one, or the 4 Shovel Knight ones coming up later this year.

Just cause the volume was toned down doesn't mean they'll be phased out.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely plateaued. The fad period is long over.

You just have to look at the largest amiibo subreddit that massively downgraded in scale and completely shut down their buy and sell/trade subreddit since it wasn't busy and was just taking up admin time.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The "craze" is over, but, no, amiibos are still going obviously. They've spent the past year or so doing reprints of old amiibos along with the new Smash ones plus some extras like the LA Link. The new releases have slowed down for obvious reasons (there's only so many characters and the Smash line alone covers pretty much all bases for Nintendo), but I don't see them pulling the plug on amiibos any time soon. They'll likely continue being a cool extra marketing tool for select new releases for quite a while more.

With that said, give us amiibos of the Three Houses lords, you goddamn cowards.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I've actually only recently gotten into collecting these. It's cool to be able to have figurines in the same line that are from so many of my favorite games growing up. I've got a nice little collection so far and will be making sure I get the new releases that I want on day one, but getting all of the Legend of Zelda Amiibos that I want is going to cost me, unfortunately...

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. It's been dialed back a bit sure, but it's definitely not over. Smash Amiibo are coming out (characters that are new to ultimate and the DLC) and the Link's Awakening Link amiibo comes out Friday. I have two shelves full of the things. I don't use them in-game often if ever, but I love collecting them.

I think they're being more selective of which games they release amiibo with. There were no Astral Chain amiibo or FE Three Houses amiibo. The latter of those I thought was strange since there were amiibo for FE Warriors (Chrom and Tiki), and they also released amiibo with Shadows of Valentia (Alm & Celica).

I think it's all but guaranteed there's new amiibo with Animal Crossing. I hope they continue to release them, even if it's at a slower pace. I will keep buying them, that's for sure.

Now if only that damn Link's Awakening amiibo would go back in stock...

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I'm happy for what we have and what is still to come thanks to Smash but I don't see much more happening.

We've peaked though, we got an Amiibo Gazebo in FE and you can't top that. Where do you go from there? Amiibo Placebo? That isn't even a place, it's just the perceived positive effect from owning one.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I took an immediate 180 from hardcore collecting to selling them all off with, ironically to me, the Animal Crossing line (my favorite Nintendo IP). Somehow overnight we went from the insane rush of 3 minute online sellouts and overnight lines to the most bargain-bin set that didn't take long to hit dollar store pricing. If the reality of how expensive collecting them can add up to hadn't hit you yet, the realization that they were losing 90% of their value did it and soon came regular restocks of the old rarities. But of course, many of the following amiibo releases since have actually become, and stayed rare.

It's a crazy difficult balance to nail: Their game functionality needs to tread the line of being significant enough to interest you into buying one, whilst not being so significant as to frustrate the people who under no conditions will (and we've seen this constantly, even with features that were obviously only developed for amiibo). I thought that Nintendo had finally struck absolute gold and nailed the perfect balance with Mario Maker. It's obviously a thanks-to-amiibo feature, and perfectly balances being easily ignorable and enticing. Better yet, it strikes a super fair balance for non-buyers. Buying them only lets you add them to your own levels, so non-buyers got to enjoy them too by using them when playing other people's levels, which is the most significant part. Perfect.

And then Nintendo made the feature non-exclusive to amiibo and I was just.. floored.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Was it always a shitty gimmick that preyed on collectors?
It was a fun gimmick aimed at children, but preyed-on by collectors.

I think that the fact that ordinary people couldn't find the figures they wanted, because they were methodically scooped-up by hoarders, kind of killed any enthusiasm for it before it could even gain traction. At that point it just became a collectors' market, and those inevitably die off as collectors move onto something else.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I have too many, and I don't have the time or money to get the extra ones I want. It is probably over for me, but if I find a Snake or Terry anywhere, I'll get it.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They're cool collectibles and I would still very much like a Paper Mario amiibo, but their in-game usage is practically non-existent for Switch games and were never that substantial to begin with. They're just toys for Nintendo fans to enjoy and nothing more.