• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
Yes of course, that's part of their job and they didn't get where they are by accident. This narrative of directors being the breathtaking luminaries with studio execs getting in their way is beyond silly.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
That was writer/director Walter Hill who came up with that idea who along with David Giler heavily rewrote the screenplay for Alien.
Yeah, I couldn't remember the details, I'd have to go back and watch that documentary again. I don't know if I'd lump them in with "the studio" in the context that we're discussing, as they were producing and were much more directly involved.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being responsible for a 200 million dollar production and some guy on the internet reduces your job to "sticking your nose in things."
Yeah, when they're putting up the money they should have some say. That's why the indie scene is so important. There's were filmmakers should have freereign and often we see some big misses there (also some brilliant work as well)

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
LOST was righted by studio executives. When they became hands off is when the quality started to dip.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know about studios, but actors sticking their noses in sometimes helps. I recall DiCaprio was the one to suggest the whole dead wife part of Inception. It would be a very cold movie without that part of the story... something missing in Tenet.
Dead wife was cliche but i can't imagine the movie without it added so much emotional depth and stakes
Which i heard was missing from Tenet

Actors sometimes do help inform the character since they're playing and probably thought about them

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about movies, but Breaking Bad would've been a much worse show if the executives hadn't stepped in to kibosh Vince Gilligan's most nihilistic tendencies.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
Probably happens all the time. But no director is going to really come out & say; "you know, my idea was alright but these studio execs really fixed it up for the better."

On the other hand, you're always gonna hear a director say "my vision was a lot different but the studio had to get what they wanted, oh well."

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What?

I knew about the Han Solo alien thing, but this C3P0 thing is new info to me. Would've changed the whole tone, I'm having a hard time imagining it lol.
Having a hard time finding a good source, but apparently it's talked about in the commentary for A New Hope. Anthony Daniels voiced his lines as you know them, and then Lucas was going to dub over them with his used car salesman idea, but ended up liking the way Daniels did it and stuck with it.

So yeah, not studio execs in that case afterall.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Artistic integrity is overrated.

Every artist is human. They are beholden by ego as much as anyone, thus and require the opinion and views from others to balance it out.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Here are some examples:
  • It was the studio that pushed for Michael Gross and Reba McEntire to play the Gummers in the movie Tremors.
  • Paramount Studios often had to reign in some of Gene Roddenberry's more eccentric ideas for the Star Trek franchise.
  • Fox demanded Joss Whedon include a sexy female character for the show Firefly. So he created the character Inara Serra.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Studios influence ALL films. We just only hear about it when the meddling goes wrong.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
There is a school of thought that sometimes adversity or editors can be a great thing for art

Well, yes, because editors usually have a better grasp about what the audience thinks or wants, considering they're more experienced. Experience is essential in pretty much every other job imaginable, so there's no reason to believe it would be any different with art.

Restrictions and even censorship have also been known to stimulate creativity, since it forces the artist to consider more options than just the more straightforward way.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yes, because editors usually have a better grasp about what the audience thinks or wants, considering they're more experienced.

Restrictions and even censorship have also been known to stimulate creativity, since it forces the artist to consider more options than just the more straightforward way.
Batman the animated show were able to play with dark concepts because they have to get around censors like minor example instead of w suicide pill the pill instead leaves you brain dead

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Every single film you've ever seen has some degree of studio input. The stories of everything going wrong tend to be from doomed productions where there's a conflict between studio/producer/directors/actors etc

Ultimately, producers are there to oversee and correct. They're also there to make sure a film is financed and if the director's vision is financial viable or if it needs to be scaled back.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LOST was righted by studio executives. When they became hands off is when the quality started to dip.
Not really. The show's creators had a rough idea of where to take the show, but they were building it for less seasons than it ended up being. Execs forced them to stretch it out as long as they did because of how successful the show had turned out to be, that's where the problems began.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
You only hear about it when it goes badly and somebody needs blaming (and the fault may indeed lay with the studio).

I mean the MCU is a prime example of tight studio oversight leading to immense success. Whether some of those films would be better with more control for the directors (e.g. Ant-man), who knows.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless the answer sometimes outside input helps sometimes it doesn't
It's a case by case basis movies are collaborative effort anyway

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020

Are you sure? My understanding is that the writers wanted a deadline to finish things off but the studio wanted to stretch it out with more filler because it was such a cash-cow. The finally agreed on a six-season run during the middle of season 3. The final season didn't quite stick the landing, sure (and that's arguably because they wanted to stick with JJ Abrams' original idea for the finale), but if the "studio" wanted to just drag things out forever like what they were doing in season 3.

Paramount Studios often had to reign in some of Gene Roddenberry's more eccentric ideas for the Star Trek franchise.

Yes, Roddenberry is an excellent example of what OP is asking about.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't this happen with Lucas for Star Wars?

Not really. The budget wasn't high enough for any execs to really care. Lucas's friends and his wife pitched in to help at times, but the final movie is very much a George Lucas joint.

I thought that was due to katzenburg's meddling and wanting studios to push the tone of the stories?

Yup. There's a famous quote from a Disney executive after the Black Friday screening. When Jeff Katzenberg asked why the movie wasn't better, since the Pixar people were clearly talented, Thomas Schumacher responded "because it's not their movie anymore."

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I imagine a lot of creative types need the reining in of the studio more than they'd care to admit.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. The show's creators had a rough idea of where to take the show, but they were building it for less seasons than it ended up being. Execs forced them to stretch it out as long as they did because of how successful the show had turned out to be, that's where the problems began.
Are you sure? My understanding is that the writers wanted a deadline to finish things off but the studio wanted to stretch it out with more filler because it was such a cash-cow. The finally agreed on a six-season run during the middle of season 3. The final season didn't quite stick the landing, sure (and that's arguably because they wanted to stick with JJ Abrams' original idea for the finale), but if the "studio" wanted to just drag things out forever like what they were doing in season 3.

Yes, Roddenberry is an excellent example of what OP is asking about.
While it's true the studios did want it prolonged, they also were very adamant that everything have a real in life explanation. The showrunners basically side stepped them, so things like the polar bear were intended by them to be things walk manifested, but also had an excuse of being studied on the island and such. There's an article from one of the writers that went into it, and then an old document leaked out which went over all the proposed plots and answered some of the questions from season 1.

But in short, the studio execs wanted things more firmly based in reality with small bits of scifi, the showrunners wanted it to be more fantasy and harder sci-fi.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
I dunno, I'm still with the writers on that one. "Dharma is keeping polar bears in the fucking tropics for research purposes or whatever" was an extremely stupid reveal that added nothing.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it he wanted three but was originally only offered one so he put forward a proposal for just two to try and get it made.
I think that was the case. A lot of back and forth and they eventually realized, yeah three works. Whereas with the Hobbit, they parachuted Jackson in last minute and he was stuck with the three movie setup, as I understand it.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, arguably all of the time. Studios usually give notes & shift direction when they suspect something is going wrong - so it's absurd to think they've never put out a fire in their lives. Artists fall up their own ass all the time, and somebody does have to pull them out occasionally.

But nobody really cares when somebody does their job as intended - so it's not really notable. The movie releases, all is well, and nobody needs to know where shit almost went wrong.

This is exactly right. The premise of this entire thread is borne out of ignorance. Do people really think every single movie would be incredible if not for those darn idiot STUDIOS getting in the way...?

The studios and execs are fixing shit fucking constantly.

Every single AAA blockbuster movie that is made is it's own little $200 million startup business that is formed, does its thing, and is then disbanded.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
From the top of my head, The Exorcist 3 aka Legion.
The ending was a more bombastic but felt earned, the original sucked.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Along those lines, Ghostbusters was originally a MASSIVELY different movie. They had to change the scope big time to make it actually affordable to film.

It was a budgetary reason but also Dan Aykroyd's original script would've been way too much for audiences back then. Like, it took place in 2012 and dealt with parallel dimensions and shit. So they thankfully brought in Harold Ramis to reign things in.

Same thing happened with Blues Brothers. Aykroyd never wrote a movie before and ended up making a 300+ page script and the studio tasked John Landis (fuck him, btw) with re-writing it into a filmable movie.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I think that was the case. A lot of back and forth and they eventually realized, yeah three works. Whereas with the Hobbit, they parachuted Jackson in last minute and he was stuck with the three movie setup, as I understand it.
Well yes and no it was going to be 2 movies at least that was Guillermo plan but because of how hectic and messy the production is they ended up with 3 movies partly to buy time because Jackson realized he couldn't finish in time and need the weight off his shoulders iirc

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I vaguely recall an interview with Jason Blum where he said he begged Jordan Peele to charge the ending of Get Out to something more victorious. The original version of the ending had a real cop pull up while Chris was choking his girlfriend, and the final scene was Chris in jail.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
This has always been a thing, so more often than you may expect. In the 30s studios would call certain scripts, "director-proof".

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Notes are definitely neutral in most fields. It's how people interpret them that make a difference, because there's often a lot of leeway. This isn't always the case (See: Pixar and "Brave" for one of the worst examples.) but it's rarely as simple as it can be portrayed. Look at the story credits for The Lion King. Sometimes great things come out of many passes by different people. The Emperor's New Groove comes to mind as well.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The proof that this happens behind the scenes where we usually never learn about it can be seen in cases when it notably *doesn't* happen, like with the Star Wars prequels.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Does anyone have a link to an article about how messed up the Rogue One production was?

Oct 25, 2017
The Exorcist III. While there was a lot of meddling with the original vision, it was for the better. The final act is so good, fantastic film.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There is no Hollywood movie where a studio exec hasn't stuck their entire face in. Movies you like, movies you hate, doesnt matter, theyve been all over that shit whether its been made public or not.

People really have a naive view of the media they consume

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The Sony email hack was really revealing in this regard: you had two big movies, Spectre and Amazing Spider-Man 2, that actually had really thoughtful and correct studio notes calling out various issues with the films, that just went ignored by the filmmakers.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. There's a famous quote from a Disney executive after the Black Friday screening. When Jeff Katzenberg asked why the movie wasn't better, since the Pixar people were clearly talented, Thomas Schumacher responded "because it's not their movie anymore."

Wow, I hadn't heard of a "Black Friday screening" before, so I looked it up. Really bad. But what stands out is that Tom Hanks still gives a hell of a performance even though he was just reading for a storyboard.