• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One of the most iconic video game villains of all time... but I feel that in many ways, he was the victim of his own popularity.

Like him being a secret boss in Kingdom Hearts 1 was a HUGE deal back in the day. Since then, he's gone on to be a secret boss in a lot of games. (On a side note, I'm going to assume the secret boss against him in KH1 is noncanon since in KH2 Sora acts like he's never met Sephiroth before)

Sephiroth had clear motivations in the original Final Fantasy VII... but ever since then, his motivation has been: Screw with Cloud no matter how bad... (which to be fair WAS present in the original game, see that little smirk he gives Cloud when he kills... y'know) (Why do I have to avoid spoilers from a 23 year old game)

But then he just kept showing up... like the Wolverine effect... he's popular so let's overuse him... even in Advent Children, he comes back.... for fan service.

It just felt like Square had no idea why he was so popular in the first place.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly, but I will say I laughed my ass off at the thought he followed Cloud into Smash just to mess with him.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
The more words Sephiroth says the lamer he becomes. Advent Children and FF7R did incredible damage to his intimidation factor. But that was also decreasing by the end of FF7 (original).

I will agree he was pretty cool in the original Kingdom Hearts though. His appearance and fight were both chilling as his original incarnation.

Last edited:

OrigamiPirate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
San Francisco
Nah. The original FF7 still exists, and you can ignore the rest. Otherwise, there's an ongoing story being told, and hounding Cloud may yet still be in part a means to an end. I like Sephiroth more now than I did back in the PS1 days, personally. (enjoying the KH fights from a gameplay perspective helped, lol)

May 19, 2020
the treatment of sephiroth isn't anywhere near as bad as some of the extended FFVII lore like loveless, genesis rhapsodos and all that stupid shit from advent children

Jan 3, 2019
evey97rdr6341.jpg

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Hes just as awesome as ever.

Sephiroth doesn't exist as a character to be whatever you want him to be. With the extended universe lots of people who weren't there to play the OG game when it released have gotten a chance to experience him from their own perspective.

I didnt play FF7 until many many years after its release. Sephiroth is still my all time favorite video game villain. Hes badass.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Possibly, but I will say I laughed my ass off at the thought he followed Cloud into Smash just to mess with him.
While Sephiroth's main goal is smashing a giant rock into the planet, his hobby is definitely messing with Cloud. And with Meteor out of the picture, well, messing with the spiky-haired guy it is.

It is notable that we've had a clear trend in Smash trailers of people receiving invitations in those Smash sealed envelopes. Sephiroth, however, doesn't have one. He just teleports in, cuts Galeem in half, and proceeds to mess with Cloud again. And that is hilarious.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Lol if that's the case they've ruined the whole FF franchise.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
He's always been an inferior version of Kefka. So nope, not ruined.

Kefka is an insane joker villain type while Sephiroth had his own identity and self worth shattered which pushed him off the edge. They're not really similar.

That's honestly one of the things I've always found interesting about Cloud and Sephiroth. Cloud's journey was him accepting and coming to terms with not achieving his goals, his own mental health issues and problems. All of his flaws and failures.

Sephiroth could not accept it. He couldn't accept that he was the son and result of an insane man who did genetic experiments. He couldnt accept what he was born into. He lost his mind and to make up for it wanted to take back and destroy what he felt was his.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Most Final Fantasy VII characters were ruined by the compilation content. That material is brutally damaging to almost every character. Some side characters benefit but the main cast suffer a thousand injuries.

I think people will have different breaking points, but for me Sephiroth was ruined the second I saw him talking on a cell phone.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
They ruined final fantasy VII lore in general. The ending being open is way more interesting than that dumb ps2 vincent game or that stupid movie that is only good for youtube fights. But yeah,they never really understood why sephiroth works, even in the remake. The first time you see him in the original, you have to follow a trail of blood and then find his sword impalling the game's villain until that point. It was a great build up to show how powerfull he was, but whatever, lets just make him a ghost and say mean things to cloud now.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
He was quite unnerving in the original, because he didn't really have a personal rivalry with Cloud, who is treated as a failed clone, and just a courier for the black materia. He's more of a generic cool, rival now, who says pretentious things.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Judging by how his featuring in Smash Bros has still had an overwhelmingly positive reception after all those years, I wouldn't say Sephiroth is "ruined".

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
And to get back on topic, no i don't think Sephiroth is ruined. If anything he's only been improved by expanding on his backstory in Crisis Core.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Nah, he's still the greatest villain in the history of video games. Thanks for your concern, though.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I wouldn't say ruined since he's still fantastic in FF7 itself but yeah, Square don't handle their characters that well in other media imo and tend to make them caricatures of themselves. Seph seems the worst for that just because he is so popular so get stuffed into everything, as you say. I think there's a term for when a character becomes a bit one-note.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
the compilation made a lot of characters lame and the remake salvaged a lot of them

unfortunately, sephiroth was not one of them

he's not "ruined" since you could make him cool again anytime, just look at how the remake cast made the characters cool again

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by how his featuring in Smash Bros has still had an overwhelmingly positive reception after all those years, I wouldn't say Sephiroth is "ruined".
Imagine with all this
timeline meddling, the only thing he can do is kill Aerith again
hope they go in a different direction.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
People sure do love to blame Nomura for literally everything they hate about Square Enix.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think entering Smash would be a symptom of "overexposure", since it's really cool that he's in.

His excessive appearances in gatcha games is way worse (I mean, you can fight him with Arianna GrandeO.

Oct 27, 2017
He was so over used that now I just hate seeing him. Heck the whole FF7 universe is so damn overused.

I wish they ended it at the original game and we got a faithful remake of that instead.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
And FFVII is 23 years old, and yet they avoid to say spoilers.

In KH1 it's not really a plot spoiler though, doesn't spoil the story of the game. It's a nice surprise in some side content, like spoiling an easter egg. I think it's very different.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The more words Sephiroth says the lamer he becomes. Advent Children and FF7R did incredible damage to his intimidation factor. But that was also decreasing by the end of FF7 (original).

Exactly this. By the end of seven, I didn't think sephiroth was personally that great a villain, but he was effective and worked well within the realms of 7.

A lot of his post OG 7 incarnations have made him much, much worse though. It's difficult to take him seriously in 7R.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Advent Children was literally written as an excuse to have Cloud and Sephiroth fight again so I don't think that really ruined him lol

The original game still exists. The compilation in particular bugged me with how it handled a lot of characters but I still like all of them. It's fine. It isn't retroactively making them worse or anything.

Also the irrational hate people have toward Nomura is fucking wild lmao

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm kind of ambivalent towards Sephiroth as a whole. Outside of the Nibelheim stuff and his killing Aerith....I always found him kind of weaksauce in the original game. He's a fucking momma's boy with a god complex.

The expanded stuff basically made him into a edgy Voldemort.

I think the expanded stuff did Cloud way more dirty because it basically ignored all of his character growth in his own game because they thought "Anti-Social Badass Cloud" should've been his default instead of a constructed persona he was projecting.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think he needed to show up as often as he did on Remake, but he's been handled way, way better than basically everyone from VII except Tifa these past 20 odd years.
Edit: Until Remake, just to clarify.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Tetsuya Nomura handling the extended universe was a mistake

Maybe one day we can finally admit that Kingdom Hearts sucks and nothing Nomura directed has been anything better than mediocre.

Exactly. Yet it's the Nomura lead properties that continues to sell gangbusters, money doesn't lie.

It's almost as if making a jrpg with Disney characters then remaking one of the biggest final fantasy games would be popular.