• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Has Square Enix redeemed themselves after this E3?

• Yes

Votes: 310 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 341 52.4%

• Total voters

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
FF VII overshadows everything else, the First Class Edition is a bit lackluster though.
The rest of the Japanese output was good, but it has been like that for a few years.
I'm not sure about Avengers though, and it's not about different looking characters. The acting on display was great but I have big doubts about the gameplay.
It was also dumb to do a heavy spoiler Life is Strange trailer to show off streamer reactions when there is still a hopefully large part of your audience waiting for the full physical release. Fortunately I looked away quickly enough.

So the FF Remake showing makes the conference a big success but in reality it was a bit of a mixed bag.

Mar 18, 2019
I'll give you Octopath and Nier. Dragon Quest was always on the Enix end of the company and not mired in traditional Squaresoft mismanagement of the last decade. Kingdom Hearts III... Is something I can't classify. It shipped, I guess. Is it good? I suppose if you like Kingdom Hearts. But is it good in a way that Mass Effect 2 or Dark Souls 3 are? I'd argue, no.

And the jury is still out as far as I'm concerned with the Trials of Mana remake given how awful the Secret of Mana remake went on PS4. Am I going to get the collection on Switch? Probably. But at $40 for 20+ year old SNES and Gameboy games? It'd be a tough sell for most other 3 game collections not including one people have pined for since the mid-90s denied release in the west.

And that leaves us with Final Fantasy VII Remake. Yeah the gameplay looks good... But until I play their reimagining of Midgar (10ish% of the original game) that spans 30ish hours without completing the story of FFVII, well I can't judge it. I'm hopeful they can land the plane, but at this point, given their track record of producing AAA content in house in a timely manner (see FFXV and KHIII) I'm doubtful we'll get the entire FFVII experience in the next 10 years.
There is no real distinction between the management of Square and Enix, but it's the same Square Enix management. Unless you mean former Squaresoft franchises that were mismanaged by Square Enix. As for KH3, it's not really comparable to ME2 or DS3, which are different genres.

I was referring to the Collection of Mana, which includes Trials of Mana, not the remake. Considering how it's the first time Trials is ever releasing in the West, I think the price for the trilogy is justifiable. It's not like it's a re-release of a game that already released in the West a long time ago. As for the Trials of Mana remake, yeah, I wouldn't expect much from it, after the Secret of Mana remake.

Yes, we can't really tell how the final Final Fantasy VII Remake will turn out. But the playable demo is apparently a fun little demo, from what I've heard. Which is at least something tangible, as opposed to having nothing playable at the moment. But there are of course question marks about the episodic nature of the project, though the Midgar portion is apparently 2 BDs worth of content.

I also forgot to mention one more way in which Square Enix have redeemed themselves: Final Fantasy XIV. It's made a huge comeback, from being a piece of trash to becoming one of the best MMOs on the market.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
For me, absolutely. They turned around the Final Fantasy VII Remake project so fast it nearly gave me whiplash. I cannot recall ever having such a complete 180 on a title – from abject disdain to intense hype – as I have for this game. It was my Game of the Show for sure.

And that's just one thing. They also finally revealed the Avengers project; announced a Tales of Mana remake out of nowhere that looks gorgeous; finally gave people a modern port of FFVIII; put all their tunes on Spotify; and more. This from the company which, one year prior, thought they could hold a 'press conference' by replaying an old Kingdom Hearts III trailer and revealing The Quiet Man. Sounds pretty redeemed to me!

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
No. Kingdom Hearts III and FFXV were both boring and mediocre spectacles that focused more on presentation than narrative and gameplay. Which is exactly what FFVII Remake is looking out to be at the moment, so I am going to have to wait for the release of the game to give them any credit. Since the game is coming out in multiple parts, this is going to take a while.

OP
OP

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I was referring to the Collection of Mana, which includes Trials of Mana, not the remake. Considering how it's the first time Trials is ever releasing in the West, I think the price for the trilogy is justifiable. It's not like it's a re-release of a game that already released in the West a long time ago. As for the Trials of Mana remake, yeah, I wouldn't expect much from it, after the Secret of Mana remake.

I'm more optimistic this time: developers admitted Secret of Mana remake was low budget, Trials of Mana on the other hand seems a bigger production, art style is pretty and faithful to the original, orchestrated soundtrack, combat system is completely reworked for the better it seems, they showed gameplay at E3 and it looked good.

My only concerns from what we saw are loading times which were long in the Treehouse segment, understandable for a demo build, but hopefully they'll fix it by the time it launches, and i need to try those aerial attacks.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No because they redeemed themselves years ago when they rebooted XIV, the exact time being when they released the Ragnarok cinematic

VHS

Alt account
Banned
May 8, 2019
FF7R looks better than expected, have never played the Mana games so had no affect on me. And Avengers just looks horrible.

So no not really for me.

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
How can they redeem themselves when besides some flash hype, they don't care for their legacy?

It took a flurry of criticism for them to even move a bit to fix recent releases but what about the other games they have?

Examples would be things like how there's still nothing for Nier: Automata, the sound problems with their HD remasters, the complaints about the graphics in regards to FFV and FFVI mobile/PC, the music issues with DQXI, etc.

They did eventually fix the steam Chrono trigger problems, the sound issues with FFX, I believe after every gaming site called them out on it.

And then there's splitting the editions. I can understand the world of final Fantasy Maxima versions, while it is kind of a kick to the stomach at least PC and PS4 users can still buy the extras. But the same can't be said about the small changes to final Fantasy XII, the job reset feature isn't available for steam or PS4.

There's also them not making their games available on their respective platforms' storefront. Why can't you get final Fantasy IV DS on the eshop, why isn't final Fantasy I anniversary edition not on PSN. I'm not asking for newer support for legacy games, I'm just looking for existing games to be purchasable.

This is why I can't say SE has redeemed themselves or even will. I feel as if SE is building a Jenga tower, they keep going up and up but the support for the base is wobbling.

I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Did they need redemption at all?
While both FFXV and KHIII had troublesome developements and their fare share of critiscisms, they were commercial successes and are loved by many.
NiER Automata and Octopath Traveller were "underdog going mainstream" success stories, and both their successor titles will be highly anticipated.
DQXI was in line with DQ sales and many saw it as a returning to a succesfull formula.
FFXIV keeps being quality.
They have a lot of smaller titles (Trials of Mana, DQB2, all the remasters) in the wors.
And above all, FFVIIR has all the spotlights on it, and stole the show at E3.

They do have some unknowns ahead (the enirety of the Remake project, Luminous new IP, Avengers), but it seems to me they have been turning the ship for a while now. It just feel like the fruits of reshuffling and trasition to UE4 will only be seen starting from this year onward.
I think XVI will be the definitive "we're out of the tunnel" moment for them.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Recepits please or you can aswell stop saying bullshits.
Show me when i said Cyberpunk 2077 is GOTY here or in the Sony first party thread.
Did you read the post I replied to? As for the other thread, you know your posts, I'm not gonna bother going through hundreds of pages for you.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Did you read the post I replied to? As for the other thread, you know your posts, I'm not gonna bother going through hundreds of pages for you.

I bothered and i went through the pages and i never said CYNERPUNK 2077 is GOAT, so stop saying bullshits.
I saw my post, if you have english comprehension problems it's not my problem because i didn't say Cyberpunk 2077 is GOTY at all.

The post you replied to says:
Why are you bringing Cyberpunk here? lol
Oh yes the E3 playable demos, well known to reflect the release of the game 9 months from now.
I couldn't care less about "previews", especially when there's nostalgia factor in place.

The fact that people are blindly trusting an E3 demo (out of a 40-50 hours game), press opinion and declaring the game GOAT material 9 months before the release is really laughable and shows how effective is the E3 buzz.

You are either drunk, trolling or don't understand english because here i really can't see a phrase saying: "CYBERPUNK 2077 IS GOAT".
You can keep going if you wish.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
Hot take: they haven't made anything amazing since FF10.

Not that hot a take honestly.

That being said, they HAVE made some amazing games since then but most all of them (at least the ones that were legitimately great without asterisks "but" next to them) were for handhelds; TWEWY, Bravely Default, Tactics Ogre: LUCT, FFT: War of the Lions, Dissida/012 duodecim, etc.

With an asterisks next to it, FFXV and Octopath Traveler are legit good* games that just have some pretty big flaws.

And of course FF XIV ARR deserves the praise it gets if you're into MMOs.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess?

Square-Enix is kind of a funny company. Whenever I feel like their Western part is getting interesting, their Japanese developers start to falter and vice versa. Right now the Japanese devs seem to be on the rise while I couldn't be less interested in what Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal are working on. And they even let IO Interactive go.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
Square is a company relying on the nostalgia of its fanbase. I'm wholly excited for Square and the remake of VII but where XVI? Too many blunders in the past for me, Square has a ton of damage control to do before being redeemed. Star Ocean needs some real love, too.

Fenrick

Oct 27, 2017
Kent\Covington, WA
E3 was pretty good. And they have done pretty well recently on the japanese side what with Nier, DQ11, KH3 and the upcoming FF7R. But I think they are still miles off of where they were at their peak.

Not a big fan of Avengers being a live service and I feel like their western output has been on a downswing, with the most recent Tomb Raider being so-so, letting IO interactive go (not that makes IO bad, Hitman 2 was great, it just weakens squares catalog), Deus Ex being a no show, and no Sleeping Dogs 2 (I know the studio closed, but do something with the ip at least)

Not to mention real bad games like Left Alive and The Quiet Man recently.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Not yet. They're still a long way off from the return to form of Capcom.

FF7 looked fantastic, but it's not out yet, so the overall quality is still unknown.

And what they showed of Avengers didn't look great.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
idk, I don't think they really need to "redeem" themselves? Every dev makes missteps alongside succeeding. Hell, even if you think KH3 was style over substance, it had a complete narrative (save for the black box stuff), fully-featured gameplay, and a lot of minigames and such. Missed opportunities (Final Fantasy characters, superbosses, etc.), but it was a lot more focused than XIII or XV were on release.

Like, they have their issues for sure (not fixing bugs, for example), but they have a bunch of good games alongside the ones that are a bit more contested.

I see some people saying they think VII Remake is focusing more on style than substance, but I don't think that's something we can really say at this point. All they've stated has been that they want to make the game faithful to the original while making it different for players who are super familiar with it, and they've emphasized that they want to flesh out Midgar and the side characters. Like, it's ok if you're not into the new combat, but I don't see how that and the few trailers we have somehow imply that the game is about flash instead of story.

Examples would be things like how there's still nothing for Nier: Automata

Huh...? The game is finished and was released a while back, with Yoko Taro working on some stuff for FFXIV right now. What else are you expecting? Is there a huge bug I'm not aware of something...?

There's also them not making their games available on their respective platforms' storefront. Why can't you get final Fantasy IV DS on the eshop, why isn't final Fantasy I anniversary edition not on PSN. I'm not asking for newer support for legacy games, I'm just looking for existing games to be purchasable.

Probably because the games in question are older. Nintendo doesn't offer DS games on the eShop, and I'm pretty certain that Sony stopped adding PSP games to their digital storefront a good 6 years ago or so. Neither of those are on Square; it's just an issue of digital distribution, especially considering those handhelds were released when digital distribution for consoles was relatively new.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
2018 ERA: Dragon Quest XI is one of the best JRPGs of the generation, if not one of the best JRPGs ever.

2019 ERA: Has Square Enix redeemed themselves for their words and deeds?!?!

Like, man...

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think making a few games that were mixed bags but still have more fans than not, to be something requiring redemption.

But I get what you're saying, and I do think they're looking a little bit better these days.

Oct 28, 2017
No, because I think E3 is square at it's worst. As even now I don't trust them at all that they will be able to deliver in a reasonable timeframe. That said I agree with the posters that say SE's doesn't really have to redeem themselves.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
They didn't show Star Ocean First Departure R, which is a game they a guaranteed to sell just one copy of, to me. This spells trouble for SE!

I've actually been quite happy with SE's output so I'm not really sure they even really needed to redeem themselves to begin with.

FF7R was also had one of the more engaging gameplay demonstrations from the show, it was really well done.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
As far as I can tell, they remain as staggeringly uneven as ever. They've simply never been a safe bet, as in I can never remember a time when I would consider buying a Square Enix title on faith. You watch them with a wary eye, understanding full wellmthat any given game could be a masterpiece, a rough jewel, or a steaming pile. Nothing has changed on that front as far as I can see.