• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Red5

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think it's crashed when using rest mode, but I don't use it that much.

Demon's Souls has crashed at least 4 times on me. A few of those were hard crashes.
Miles Morales just hard crashed yesterday for me. Had my external plugged in and Hitman 3 downloading to the internal drive at the time.

So yeah, I've had a lot of crashes. I even reformatted my external drive recently thinking it might be something funky with bringing it over from the PS4.

Amon Lau

Oct 27, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Sometimes my PS5s turn off completely when they are on standby and won't turn on till I plug my controller and switch it on that way. Other than that, I have no problems.
^This
After experimenting I figured it wasn't external SSD HDD issue, it has happened either plugged in or not.
Mind you it doesn't always happen either, tried it early this month to download the new PS+ games and it downloaded 'em fine and stayed on through the whole thing.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Been turning mine on and off. Decided to try rest last week because I was in the middle of a Yakuza story thing when something came up. It hard locked.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I had consistent issues with AC Valhalla (PS5 version) and never tried rest mode again.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
It has been over 2 weeks since a system update hasn't it? Idk what is taking so long :(. Where is the SSD storage expansion, the VRR, bug fixes, etc?

burn

Oct 27, 2017
I've had problems the first week but none since that. I'm playing Spiderman Remastered with an USB drive connected and leaving it in rest mode without issues since then.

Oct 25, 2017
My PS5 has two or three times now shut off randomly while in Rest Mode. I've started only using it to charge things or download updates/games when I don't have time to babysit the PS5.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
OP clearly asked "Has the bug been fixed yet?". The bug exists. There are multiple reports of bug resisting. No one claimed anything about the percentage of users. This is not a poll to see how many users have it. It's a very clear question: has the bug been fixed?

And, literally, people answer to this very straightforward question with - "works for me". It's a standard FYIGM forum response.

Here, just a few posts down an example:

OP:

Direct reply to OP's question:
The OP also said
I have own the PS5 since launch, but refuse to put it in rest mode because of the reports on rest mode bricking users consoles (Spiderman Miles Morals/rebuilding hardrive).
Letting them know the issue doesn't affect everyone and that lots of people have been using it with no issue seems important to me.

If the thread was them complaining about experiencing the bug or stating that they know it doesn't affect everyone but wondering if it had been fixed, I would agree there would be no point replying saying it's worked since day one for lots of people.

Oct 25, 2017
I've had some crashes/hard drive rebuilds here and there, and the great majority of them had an error message about my external drive not being disconnected properly. I never connect/reconnect the drive, so it seems to be a completely arbitrary error.

I've also had two arbritary shut downs in the middle of gampelay this weekend, which is...strange.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anyone else has replied with this yet, but you need to enable that option in the Settings menu. I thought I was downloading GoT while in rest mode, turned it back on and it was still at 2%

I have that option enabled already(at least it looks like I do), it's plugged into ethernet and just seems to straight up disconnect in rest mode/just after waking up. When I "wake" up the system, it takes it a minute to like realize that it's plugged into ethernet. It's rather bizarre. I assume it's a bug that I won't notice is fixed in a stability update down the line or something.

GeometryHead

Oct 27, 2017
Mine has crashed twice in rest mode (i.e. can't turn it on, have to unplug the power cable, rebuild, etc), both times with Valhalla running. Is this the culprit, or does the game matter at all?

I don't have an external drive plugged in.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
The only issue I've run into—and I've run into it repeatedly—is booting the PS5 up from rest mode, when sometimes it just decides to power down completely, thus eliminating whatever running game process I had going. It's pretty annoying; it's happened to me 4 or 5 times now.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I never connect/reconnect the drive, so it seems to be a completely arbitrary error.

Thats kinda hard to say without some proper logs (which we dont have). Maybe there have been connection issues to the external drive; or unexpected power cuts to the drive. Do you have the USB ports powered (Restmode features > Supply Power to USB Ports > Continiously)? I have a suspicion that maybe some drives do not handle it gracefully if the USB ports stop being powered.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sometimes my PS5s turn off completely when they are on standby and won't turn on till I plug my controller and switch it on that way. Other than that, I have no problems.

Same problem I have. I must have happened at least 4 or 5 times since I got it on day one. I don't have to plug the controller, just push the on button. The system then goes on a repair/full reboot, which worries me. I try to turn it off if I don't use it too often, at least until they become readily available and I can ask for a replacement.

SnowHawk

Oct 28, 2017
England
Same problem I have. I must have happened at least 4 or 5 times since I got it on day one. I don't have to plug the controller, just push the on button. The system then goes on a repair/full reboot, which worries me. I try to turn it off if I don't use it too often, at least until they become readily available and I can ask for a replacement.

Mine doesn't go into repair mode or full reboot. I think it just turns off to save power. I'm not worried about it becuase it doesn't happen often.

Tommi

Oct 29, 2017
I've used rest mode a few times last week always with no game running or an external hdd in place. The console turned off two times during it at some point, and I had to turn the console on from the button on the console as the controller didn't respond. No rebuilding or any error messages though. I don't really feel comfortable using it

superfriar19

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest
Never had issues with rest mode but I have had an issue where my PS5 will shut down due to sitting idle and it will go into repair mode when I turn it back on.

I have a really bad habit of pausing to get up and don't come back for a long time.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never had issues with rest mode, but then again, I consistently close games before using rest mode. I've had the odd crash here and there, but never had to rebuild anything.

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland
It has been over 2 weeks since a system update hasn't it? Idk what is taking so long :(. Where is the SSD storage expansion, the VRR, bug fixes, etc?

Because a team just shipped a console back in November worldwide under a global pandemic and the effort to do that was incredible. People need a deserved break, catch their breath and analyse what are real problems and how to fix them. Software development is slow. Testing is slow. Sony pushed a surprising amount of firmware fixes by the end of the year. Its middle of January, people literally just got back into the swing of things, I cant really understand how there is expectation on bunch of updates first thing in January. Lets give developers time. I think both Xbox and Sony engineers did an absolutely incredible job for launch.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Because a team just shipped a console back in November worldwide under a global pandemic and the effort to do that was incredible. People need a deserved break, catch their breath and analyse what are real problems and how to fix them. Software development is slow. Testing is slow. Sony pushed a surprising amount of firmware fixes by the end of the year. Its middle of January, people literally just got back into the swing of things, I cant really understand how there is expectation on bunch of updates first thing in January. Lets give developers time. I think both Xbox and Sony engineers did an absolutely incredible job for launch.

It has been almost three weeks since the start of january. In our country, we had like 2 days without work. Is it different in Japan and USA? I definitely think they could have done better with PS5. having a console that isnt working properly and keeps crashing 2 months after release is failure in my eyes. Nevermind every other promised update, feature or something else missing from UI/Menu/OS. Hell, even the ones they have got are not working (Play time tracker).

have they at least alredy added Deals category to eshop? I guess since its so trivial... that its still not there anyway.

CTRON

Jul 16, 2020
Haven't had any issues with rest mode (outside of the one mentioned below) or games crashing. Played a considerable amount of Miles Morales, Black Ops Cold War, and The Pathless. Playing Demon's Souls as well and, so far, no issues there either.

Never had issues with rest mode but I have had an issue where my PS5 will shut down due to sitting idle and it will go into repair mode when I turn it back on.

This happened with me once with The Pathless running idle for an hour. By default, the console is set to enter rest mode after an hour of inactivity while running games, and that's what it tried to do but ended up turning off instead. Haven't been able to repeat this, though.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand "Never happened to me" when someone is complaining about an issue (not that I think it's the right thing to say). It's completely irrelevant when someone is asking if a known issue has been fixed.
Not only that but some people are saying it was fake? Like what are some people trying to do here?

Oct 25, 2017
Thats kinda hard to say without some proper logs (which we dont have). Maybe there have been connection issues to the external drive; or unexpected power cuts to the drive. Do you have the USB ports powered (Restmode features > Supply Power to USB Ports > Continiously)? I have a suspicion that maybe some drives do not handle it gracefully if the USB ports stop being powered.

I will look into this! Thank you!!

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I was leaning this way when people were talking about the problem. I'm not convinced of it, now, because I have my PS5 set to 3 hours for USB power and my external SSD (in an enclosure) is working fine. I'm thinking it may be the controller (likely a sata to usb chipset) being a problem, as I've had enclosures randomly disconnect when they were using a known bad chipset as well as off the shelf externals just parking the heads and suspending. Either one of these could be the culprit and we'd be further along if people would talk about what drive configuration they were using when it did or didn't happen.

I'm using a 1TB Crucial MX500 and this Inateck enclosure and haven't had any problems coming back from rest mode, even with USB power set to 3 hours.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not only that but some people are saying it was fake? Like what are some people trying to do here?

One person called it a rumor. Could you quote some one saying it's fake? And like others have pointed out OP hasn't tried the feature out of fear so responses saying "no problems here" are perfectly valid.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can they fix the disc drive spinning up every hour for no reason? Shit is noisey.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I was leaning this way when people were talking about the problem. I'm not convinced of it, now, because I have my PS5 set to 3 hours for USB power and my external SSD (in an enclosure) is working fine. I'm thinking it may be the controller (likely a sata to usb chipset) being a problem, as I've had enclosures randomly disconnect when they were using a known bad chipset as well as off the shelf externals just parking the heads and suspending. Either one of these could be the culprit and we'd be further along if people would talk about what drive configuration they were using when it did or didn't happen.

I'm using a 1TB Crucial MX500 and this Inateck enclosure and haven't had any problems coming back from rest mode, even with USB power set to 3 hours.

Yeah good points, I was musing about that myself. I use a Samsung T7 SSD and have had zero issues with that, but I can imagine that combining drives with various enclosures (and the controllers within) might end up being 'not-as-compatible-as-you-might-think'.

Abominuz

Oct 29, 2017
Netherlands
I dont know if its software related or hardware, but never had a crash in restmode. Only crash i ever had was playing demons soul.
Just use the console and if its faulty you would rather know now then when the warranty is expired.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One person called it a rumor. Could you quote some one saying it's fake? And like others have pointed out OP hasn't tried the feature out of fear so responses saying "no problems here" are perfectly valid.

Calling a well documented incident a rumor is calling it fake and clearly you knew what I was talking about your also not being clever. Op and others like myself want to know if it was fixed. The like of people saying never affected me does not answer the question.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
It works perfectly on mine as long as I close the games before. If I resume a game from rest mode, I tend to have performance and graphical issues.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Calling a well documented incident a rumor is calling it fake and clearly you knew what I was talking about your also not being clever. Op and others like myself want to know if it was fixed. The like of people saying never affected me does not answer the question.

I acknowledge the rumor person. So that's the only person even coming close to calling it fake. You claimed there were others. Guess there wasn't. And those saying they have no issues helps OP and he even acknowledge it helps because he has never tried it. There may not be a problem to fix on his end like many others who have had no issues. If OP had actually tried it and had an issue and wanted to know if it was fixed then you would have s leg to stand on complaining about those pointing out they have had no issues with rest mode.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I acknowledge the rumor person. So that's the only person even coming close to calling it fake. You claimed there were others. Guess there wasn't. And those saying they have no issues helps OP and he even acknowledge it helps because he has never tried it. There may not be a problem to fix on his end like many others who have had no issues. If OP had actually tried it and had an issue and wanted to know if it was fixed then you would have s leg to stand on complaining about those pointing out they have had no issues with rest mode.

Looking at your post history tells me this is not worth continuing. Hope you have a good rest of your day.

k1x-

Oct 28, 2017
This is what happens every time, mass defence. Expect this thread to have 10+ pages of "Not me"

Why ignore that? As justified and important as sharing problems is, it is equally justified to say when you don't have them. This is the only way to estimate approximately how widespread a problem actually is.

For this reason, I also assume that restmode crashes caused by games, for example, may have already been fixed by game updates themselves.

The tendency to make a mountain out of a molehill is very big in this forum. At the same time, I don't have the feeling that most people actually try to deny problems that occur.

Of course, those who claim that bugs and crashes are fake or rumors, even though users report them here, have intentions that should not be tolerated here.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I have been resting (PS4) games in mine since I got it with an external drive. Zero issues yet.
This is a weird bug for those that get it.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Rest Mode (Close all apps) through the day and Turn Off before sleep and no problems so far.
I can't say the same about the Dualsense quality since I had 2 controllers with drifting issues and some hard crashes with MM and Cold War.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
I use rest mode to charge my controller but I make sure to close any games first.

Honestly, Sony needs to be way more transparent about these things and any forthcoming fixes.

I'm still unwilling to plug in my external hard drive.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
It would be interesting to find out what's different between those who crash often after using rest mode, and those who never did.

Don't hesitate to share both if you had a crash, or if you once did but not anymore, and also if you didn't since launch. I think the important information to share is which games you play, which games are currently installed, whether you sync your games to the cloud, which model of external drive you use, the usb power settings, whether you tried a full factory wipe after the last firmware was out.

It's impossible to solve a bug if it cannot be reproduced, and it's not clear if it's the game, or the firmware, or a lib that multiple games are using, etc... So make sure you enable sending crash reports to sony, it contains the data they need.

I noticed multiple games patch notes mention rest mode and crashes, it's possible there's still a game in your collection which doesn't have a patch yet. It's possible those who never crashed just don't play that specific game. It's possible a game caused some corruption once in the past, and that the bug persists regardless of patches.

Currently I only have the following games installed. Didn't have any issues with rest mode when I used it, but I avoid it now as a precaution. No drives are connected. I did a factory wipe after the latest firmware to be sure.

Astrobot
Miles Morales
Spiderman remaster
Demon's Souls
Planet Coaster
Uncharted 4
Gran Turismo Sports
Bugsnax

kowhite

May 14, 2019
My PS5 goes into rest mode occasionally when I'm using certain media apps like Youtube or Netflix. Hasn't happened a lot, but a few times. Fortunately reboot is so fast it's not a big issue but it is kind of annoying. Hasn't happened during a game though. And I've def checked my settings it shouldn't do that.