• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
It frequently crashes while in rest mode when a game is running. I often have to start it manually using the power button on the console, and it mentions disconnecting a hard drive while it was on.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I can understand "Never happened to me" when someone is complaining about an issue (not that I think it's the right thing to say). It's completely irrelevant when someone is asking if a known issue has been fixed.
It's the other way around actually. It's annoying when someone complains about a known issue that has happened to them and someone comes in to simply say "I've had x number of controllers and no issues", how does that help the person with the issue? Whereas in this case OP is telling us they haven't been using a feature because they're afraid of something that could happen, so people are naturally offering their own experiences to alleviate OP's concerns and encourage them to use a feature they are afraid to use.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I had some rest mode issues early on around launch, the system would just shut off and need to repair upon boot, but after the last firmware update I've been using it and suspending and resuming different games with rest mode and it has worked perfectly

Oct 27, 2017
I've had it crash maybe 2-3 times while in rest mode, with no game active. Not sure if I can pin it entirely on the PS5 but I have had a non-zero amount of issues. That said, it's not super frequent; I use my console almost daily.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't if it matter but my external drive is a Seagate as wel.
I never had any of the rest mode crashes but the external HDD crashes were fixed for me a couple of firmwares ago, so wouldn't surprise me if at least some instances of the rest mode stuff was fixed too.
I've had hard crashes playing MM, but I've had an external HDD and used rest mode since day one with no issues.
Day 1, external SSD in an enclosure and I've had zero issues.
What USB power settings do you all use? Is it set so the External HD is powered on all the time, or does it turn off after three hours?

Last edited:

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
What do you want people to say in this thread? The vast majority of PS5 owners didn't get any issue.
Would you like me to lie instead and say that I had issues? I will not ignore the fact that people had problems, but let's not act like people who didn't have them are a defense force. Your comment is silly.

The person he is quoting literally wrote it off as a rumor, same shit happened when joycon drift was first reported on and look how that turned out now. Maybe not do that if you are doing that. You can say you haven't had issues without being an ass.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good to know this has been fixed. Does anyone know if the external drive disconnecting itself issue has been fixed?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I've been using rest mode since I got it and never had any issues. I always close games before putting it in rest mode though. I know some people who had problems with rest mode when they had games suspended, but YMMV obviously.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't had a system crash yet and rest mode has been working fine so far (I got it about a month ago). Though I'm not using external storage, so I'm not sure if that was related.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I've used rest mode all the time without issue but I haven't had the guts to use an external

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I've used rest mode all the time without issue but I haven't had the guts to use an external
Yeah that's my issue. I was having issues at launch playing Miles with an external connected. Took the external away, never had an issue since. I know miles was apparently the source of a lot of the problems, but I'm still scared to try again haha.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
This is what happens every time, mass defence. Expect this thread to have 10+ pages of "Not me"

A thread full of people saying they hadn't had any issues is pretty useful when the initial post is based on an incorrect belief that an issue was "rampant" thus scaring them from using a feature, that would be very unlikely to have any issues at all.

So to add to the ongoing list. Day one, used since then, no issues.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sadly I don't think it's been fixed yet, at least with consoles that have experienced it before.

I had 17 crashes while playing Miles Morales and using rest mode. I'm not sure if that was specific to rest mode usage or MM itself but that was my experience. Guess I'll just stick to completely shutting down the system from now on.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
So I haven't had any issues as of the last 2 weeks but prior my console was powering itself all the way off but it was doing it incorrectly so I'd get that notification when I'd boot it back up. Sometimes it would take a few pushes of the button before it comes on, but as I said as of the last couple weeks I've had zero issues with it.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen any evidence that it's "fixed." Either you were lucky and never had the issue, or you were unlucky and it's still ongoing.
It happened to me a few times the first week, and then I pulled the external and have been using the system without it since. I have an external SSD with almost all of my PS4 games on it, but I'm nervous to plug it back in. It would crash, then would power off, turn on to a black screen, shut it off, turn it on again into a system rebuild both times. Scary stuff. I'd like to use it again, but I want to hear from some people that it was also happening to that now it's not.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
No issues with putting games into rest mode since launch, but I also do not use an external drive. It's actually crazy how fast the game resumes after waking up.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I understand the hesitancy given the number of instances reported on Era, but I always find this response weird.

If I buy a new console and I hear a feature has a problem in an estimated 0.1% of units, I'm definitely using that feature to test I don't have that issue.

Because if the issue is in any way due to small hardware differences/issues I'm stuck with it, but if I find the issue I can get a refund or warranty return.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I understand the hesitancy given the number of instances reported on Era, but I always find this response weird.

If I buy a new console and I hear a feature has a problem in an estimated 0.1% of units, I'm definitely using that feature to test I don't have that issue.

Because if the issue is in any way due to small hardware differences/issues I'm stuck with it, but if I find the issue I can get a refund or warranty return.

Yeah you want to do this to get it sorted asap and not after the warranty has died, though with how difficult it is to source a PS5 I can understand the anxiety.

Ateyaba

Banned
Dec 14, 2020
Still have problems with it as recently as today, instead of going into rest mode it completely shut down and couldn't be woke with the controller. Upon boot it restored and I got the screen that says the power was pulled before it was shutdown

Does Miles Morales disc is in your console ? Because I had the exact same issues, which stopped immediately when I removed the disc.

Last edited:

Raknor

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I've only used it a few times and not had any issues, but I still avoid it most of the time. The only crash I've had was playing Demon's Souls with Youtube pinned to the side and it froze on 'turning off' message and then had to repair.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I had a weird issue with Miles Morales in Rest Mode the other day; it ran at like 15 FPS when it came out of rest mode. Other than that I've had no problems with Rest Mode, so I'd guess that it's on a per-game basis.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Rest mode and Suspend/Resume were never an issue for me. Even using an external drive.

Mine just spent it's first 2 days constantly rebuilding the database. Something like 16 times.

Then after that was fixed by a factory reset, my controller would randomly disconnect and not reconnect again until the console was fully powered off. But even that's been ok for the last month or so.

I think I'm out of the woods with my PS5 issues. Fingers crossed.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I've been using rest mode since launch day. I don't keep any applications open tho nor do I have an external HDD for games. Just one for media files.

I'll probably start keeping games on standby after a few more FW updates.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I literally ran into this issue yesterday when I turned it on from rest mode. I think the issue was my external drive. I had to force my console off and on and let the hard drive repair itself to get it working again. I think this is the second time that's happened to me. With that said, however, in the grand scheme of things I'm still going to keep putting it in rest mode since it's a rare occurrence and hasn't damaged anything.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had enough problem with rest mode so I just turn mine off completely now. I have no idea if it's been fixed or not

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got the weird storage error after using rest mode. Doesn't happen often enough for me not to use it though. You're not missing much as you still need to load up any game that isn't the most recent (makes me appreciate xboxs quick resume feature even more). Just try it out...or don't lol. You should have warranty anyway.

PS the storage error only seems to be with the external hard drive. Maybe unplug the external and use rest mode?

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Mine doesn't like being in rest mode with an open game.
When starting it back up, it tends to need a HDD rebuild.

But putting it into rest mode without a game open seems to work fine, though that completely defeats the purpose of using rest mode, it's not like it takes much time to start the console up.

I've only tried with Miles and Cyberpunk so far btw, no PS4 game or other PS5 game, so YMMV.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

That's how I look at it. If I have a hardware issue with my unit, better to figure it out ASAP and have it taken care of. That's why even though I plan on using my PS5 with ethernet 99.5% of the time I still gave it a few days on wifi to see how it handles, for example.

This whole thing reminds me of people with OLED TVs outright refusing to watch news or play certain games because they're paranoid about burn-in and the over-the-top stories they hear online. Or SSD endurance, that's another one. Just relax. Use what you bought and enjoy it. If you have any serious hardware problems, that's what the warranty is for.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mines been in rest mode since launch too with no issues. I kept hearing a lot of it was something to do with HDD's being attached or something. But I have an external drive for PS4 games too and never had any issues with that either.

Maybe try it. See if it works or not?

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
I played through Astro's Playroom, Uncharted 4 and God of War 2018 all in rest mode just fine. Though I did have to restart the system once from rest mode during God of War.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Mine went into rest mode when I put valhalla down for a while a few days ago and my PS5 didn't turn back on for a while. Light went off. It just kept beeping at me when I tried to turn it on. Tried doing a hard reset, didn't work. Unplugged it and plugged it back in, that didn't work. I just sat there pressing the power button for like 5 minutes getting pissed off. Thought my PS5 was toast. Then it just turned back on randomly.

Scared the shit out of me. Maybe it depends on the game or something but I'm making sure I turn my PS5 fully off when I'm not using it.

I havent had a single issue since day one with it until the other day but it was enough to scare me away from using rest mode anymore.

I dont have any external HDDs or anything plugged into it.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
You really haven't tried rest mode because there were a handful of complaints around the launch? I've been using it since launch day and it works great, like on PS4. I imagine most people would say the same, but there's no reason to say something works than to say something doesn't work (unless asked like you have done).

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
I've used rest mode and external drives rather sparingly (always fully disconnecting and closing down all software before using, and never leaving in rest mode too long, usually just to finish a download). No crashes or other serious problems yet, but I'd really like for Sony to make an official statement regarding an update, especially 2+ months on. Definitely still feeling a little nervous every time I turn it on.

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I had issues with rest mode and an external driver during launch, but after the latest firmware update, I have been able to use both without any issues.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I have been almost totally clear since launch, but I've had two crashes this week. It actually happens when going to test mode itself. Instead of the orange light coming on it just goes black. Pressing the buttons beep.

Had to pull the power cable, but then it comes back on and repairs the database.

I'm using an external SSD on the back ports. I usually close my games before going to test mode, just out of habit. I'll continue to use test mode, but I think they still have some issues to work out

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I've put it into rest mode and come back later to find the light off. I press the power button and it yells at me for incorrectly shutting down the console. :(