• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel about Ghost of Tsushima after Sekiro?

• Sekiro burned me out on the setting and swordplay for a bit

Votes: 89 11.2%
  • Diminished the hype a little but I'm still really interested in it

Votes: 93 11.7%
  • I'm still as hyped for it now as I was when I found out about it

Votes: 420 52.8%
  • I'm even more hype now than I was before Sekiro

Votes: 193 24.3%

• Total voters

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was never hyped and know it can't hold a candle to Sekiro, but I'm still interested because of the setting (while cautious because of the dev).

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
My interest has been mild at best from the start and Sekiro has had nothing to do with that. It looks like it's going for a different thing. Less of my thing than Sekiro but I knew that from the start.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They seem completely different? Loved Sekiro and could easily 100% another two Sekiros but I'll have to see more of how Tsushima actually plays and I really doubt I'll get it anyway.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I didn't bother with Sekiro, I didn't want to play a hard-precision-based game with uneven frame pacing.

GoT looks much better anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Nope. Been excited for Tsushima since the announce trailer. I'm even more hyped for it after the latest trailer, and don't have much interest in Sekiro. Also, these two games don't even seem to have much in common in terms of design and gameplay. I've always thought this comparison came off as forced.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Not really but I could see it impacting my first impressions playing it depending on how smooth the gameplay in GoT will be. But you get used to that quickly.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I found Sekiro to be absolutely ugly looking, so yea not really. They both satisfy two completely different needs. I want an immersive and beautiful world to explore and Ghost seems to be the best attempt yet when it comes to Japan.

arcticice

Oct 31, 2017
Hyped AF for GoT.
Played sekiro day 1 and Finished it.
Point is, GoT is nothing like Sekiro at all. One is grounded in reality open world game while the other is hard, linear, fantasy game. Completely opposite

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I'll always love samurai style games as long as it ain't weird pandering sex games where the boobs become hams

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Zero correlation for me.

Honestly I still have no idea if I should be excited for Ghost of Tsushima. I like the dev a lot but the strongest points of inFamous aren't present here (ranged combat, supernatural stuff and unique traversal), this is a complete change for them which is exciting and worrying at the same time.

E3 demo wasn't anything special from the gameplay perspective but only showed a tiny bit. Last trailers were cool but didn't show that much either, and I'm still wondering if the game will have those horizontal black bars during gameplay like in the trailers (I really hope not, E3 demo didn't have them at least).

Onvious

Nov 16, 2019
Be honest, topping Sekiro's swordplay is really hard. At some point i felt like a real ninja/samurai while playing Sekiro. I hope GoT will have same/similar swordplay.

Oct 31, 2017
Well, the thing is: the setting was from the beginning one of the things that interested the least about Sekiro. The game itself became one of my favorites in spite of it, rather than because it.
If it affected my view/expectations of GoT? Barely. Just in the sense that I doubt the latter will be good enough to match From Software mechanically.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
None of these poll options work for me. I think for me it's more of Sekiro looks more fun from what I've seen and I don't think Ghosts will come off as good for me due to how much I liked Sekiro and how different it almost certainly will be. I'm still going to get it if it reviews well and I see more gameplay from it. I just think Id've been more excited if this game came first and Sekiro came after it and if it looked a bit faster (but still waiting for more gameplay).

So I'd pick, "Sekiro dimished my hype because it made Ghosts gameplay appear less exciting".

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Sekiro (NG+7+) and want more AAA feudal samurai/Japan stuff, regardless of difficulty or setting. In fact I welcome a new approach to the genre, and I love what I've seen from GoT so far.

I ashamedly admit to being one of the trailer leaf psychoanalyzers, due to my admiration for Sekiro and not wanting it usurped. I realize how silly that was and now wish for Sucker Punch to deliver the outright best product it can. I'm hoping to be blown away, knowing it has completely different aims and goals than Sekiro does.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing I've heard or saw about GoT really grabs me. In fact stuff like switching to stealth mode/gear and so on just makes it sound tedious, the combat in the trailers wasn't impressive at all but I'm reserving judgment on that when we get actual combat that lasts more than a minute.

Not to mention all the people who never watched a Kurosawa movie parroting that it looks like one rofl.

I'll get it, play it and then probably sell it along with my Pro while it still have value before PS5 is out.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sekiro set an insanely high bar combat wise for me because that game was awesome, so my hype is a bit dampened on that front.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I gotta admit that it did, since GoT probably won't have a shit flinging bloodlusted giant ape murdering me while carrying it's head in his paw.

But really no, they seem so different, I mean GoT is supposed to have no fabtasy elements right?

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I was never hyped and I don't even compare these two. I don't think GoT will even be in the same genre so it doesn't really matter. The setting is still fresh. There haven't been many good samurai/ninja games for a few generations so I can't accept the notion of the setting "getting old".

Also I don't think it can reach the heights of Sekiro just because that game is a masterpiece.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
More hyped as there was no weapon sheathing in Sekiro, such a fundamental and ceremonial thing for all swordfighters, ehhh. :P

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like Sekiro at all and I wasn't interested in Tsushima before I played Sekiro, so I don't think my interest has changed in any meaningful way.

I just really find the prospect of a "realistic" open world game so achingly boring it makes me want to go to sleep every time I think about it. Give me cool traversal powers and interesting enemies to fight, not sixty+ hours dicking around on a fucking horse fighting the same three human enemies (sword guy, spear guy, TWO swords guy) six trillion times.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yea Sekiro is pretty much the only type of samurai game I really wanted. Nioh 2 I would also get cause gameplay is like Souls. I have like almost no interest for GoT and the gameplay looks boooring. The only reason I would get it is because I liked the first two inFamous games.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
There should be more samurai games. No one is upset that Halo and Doom are releasing in the same year. If we can have two space marines, we can have two lads with katanas.

Oct 25, 2017
Thought Sekiro was amazing, think GoT looks really great and hoping itll be amazing too. They don't remotely look like similar experiences and even saying the setting is the same is super reductive, GoT has a really interesting historical fiction slant whereas Sekiro is pure fantasy. Both are entirely unrelated in my mind so no correlation.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
They were sorta advertized at the same time.

Before telling you what I thought you must know first that I generally stopped caring for Sony first party in the grand scheme of things this gen. I fell out of love with it. To me they're all designed around this idea of "move through the game to finish it", not just that it's linear but although some rooms can be hard to clear in The Last of Us or Uncharted or encounters in HZD or God of War, I feel like all Sony's games have this mandate of "Big, cinematic, cutscene" stuff and the focus of production is so laser-focused on that, that the gameplay becomes less than the game's "Main idea". Playing through their PS3 lineup, Uncharted, InFamous etc. it's enjoyable but it winds up as a middling experience in hindsight because it ended up feeling like "just going through the game and finished it..." without any moment of gameplay making you go "THAT was cool!" InFamous had it the most. In Uncharted it was scripted and since then I feel Sucker Punch has gotten more "cinematic" which isn't improving their games.

So I've liked everything previously Sucker Punch did, but back when InFamous was new I was still impressed by graphically advanced games with fluent mechanics. Nowadays we don't just standardized fluent mechanics and awesome graphics, we got games like Dark Souls to advance the impact of combat and we also got games like Mass Effect or Witcher where they combine relatively "cinematic" flavor with deep player impact on the flavor and flow of the cinematics. I find there's too many smoke and mirrors going on with Sony's first party lineup this gen, and that's how GoT came across too.

So the prospect of GoT being a somewhat sandboxy but linear, "do a bunch of quests but especially the main quest" game that lifts the "Fear Takedown" idea from Arkham Knight to a T, and also probably has functional and slick but ultimately not that advanced combat design... it's hard to even be impressed at that point, and I wasn't. Graphics crossed some kind of threshold for me last gen. Now I'm just used to everything looking amazing and it's not the selling point anymore.

If Sekiro hadn't been unveiled I'd have said "Oh cool!" because of its feudal japan, shogun-ish theme, but Sekiro also had a lot of that albeit in a more stylized way, but because it's a more advanced video game I just don't really care for GoT despite being the second last biggest thing in the whole first-party lineup.
Be honest, topping Sekiro's swordplay is really hard. At some point i felt like a real ninja/samurai while playing Sekiro. I hope GoT will have same/similar swordplay.
Hint: It won't.
And it will have Fear Takedown straight outta Arkham Knight.
DimDelectableCockatiel-size_restricted.gif
28009909757_f452be4457_o.gif

EDIT: bad demonstration but it goes the same way. Drop from below or above, slowmotion, pick up to X targets to chain strealth takedowns. AK innovated, now we're seeing games ape it, and it means GoT is focus tested to death.

Last edited:

bender

Oct 27, 2017
Love From Software but am terrible at parrying so Sekiro was not my cup of tea. Love the setting though. I'm interested in Tsushima mostly because of the setting but Sucker Punch makes me cautious. I've just never clicked with the mechanics presented in their games.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
Im a fan of japanese setting as long as it has some fantasy/supernatural in it.

Ill be honest,im not that interested in tsushima,since Sekiro and Nioh feel my interest quite a bit

Oct 27, 2017
Uh... No?

Different setting, different gameplay, different genre different everything. Not sure why people keep comparing the two. It is like people comparing Demon's Souls with Skyrim cause both are fantasy games with knights and dragons.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
We starting the "fatigue" thing already?

Sekiro is not a playable Kurosawa film, it's not open world and the gameplay doesn't look remotely similar to Tsushima.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
They always looked completely different to me. I expect Ghost to have more in common with The Last of Us or Assassin's Creed than with Sekiro. Not really hyped but definitely keeping my eye on it. Should be an enjoyable game.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
They are different games. I'm not hyped for Ghost, but really like the art direction and eventually will play it (maybe not at release tho). I hope stealth is viable during most missions and we can disable the ''omg awesome'' slow-mo.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
It slightly lowered my expectations. I have no doubt Tsushima will be good, but I don't know if it can match how amazing the swordfighting feels in Sekiro.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I like Sekiro, but the game is a bit too stressful for my blood. Also a bit too linear, and doesn't place enough emphasis on stealth.

If anything, playing Sekiro is only making me more hyped for Ghost of Tsushima, as I imagine how much more suited to my tastes it will be.