• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I dont know but I think it could be an amazing reason for many people, includig me, to jump on the Microsoft ecosystem. Even when the game may be released on Nintendo systems (remember Viva Piñata DS, for example) at first it would be a great point for the XSX. I know Nut and Bolts wasnt especially great but hey, that was years ago. Also being in Smash is a good showcase for the IP currently.

What's Rare stance on this? I think this situation is a total waste given the status of icon of both characters

May 15, 2019
I don't think most of the people who made the N64 games are even at Rare anymore. And if the new game was similar quality to Tooie I'd much rather have a new Nuts & Bolts.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
1.) No need to single Banjo out. Rare is working on new IP and not doing anything with their old stuff ATM. Even the rumored Perfect Dark is being done by The Initiative.
2.) Nuts & Bolts is amazing

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I am not much of a Banjo fan but even I don't understand how they dropped these characters. Shit, Rare doesn't even need to make it, let someone else do it! I would be shocked if there haven't been scrapped ideas over the years.
Exactly. I mention Rare because they own the IP, but any other developer could make it, with benefits to Rare also.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
At this point, Microsoft/Rare would have to let a different developer handle it. Rare have said previously that they don't really make sequels, but if a different developer is up to the task, then they should go for it. Microsoft/Rare don't see potential in the franchise anymore to make new games internally.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
It would seem so - they've been fairly explicit about being focused on new IP. I found this, for example: https://www.onlysp.com/rare-focused-on-new-ip/. But I seem to recall even stronger statements about focusing on new IP.

On one hand it's a shame. On the other, I think the Rare of today has a very different skillset than the Rare of old. Based on my experience in SoT, I don't think that new skillset is really conducive to doing their old IP justice. I think they're best suited to multiplayer GaaS games that rely heavily on user-directed experience. Maybe they could do Banjo justice, but I really don't see them executing well on their other IP - especially Perfect Dark.
Well that would be disappointing to me, was expecting a new AAA IP
Hey, it's better than Gears.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
How well did Yooka-Laylee do? MS was probably looking at those sales numebers to see if they still care to do another Character Adventure platformer in 2020 when they were last popular in the late 90s/early aughts.

If MS decided to release Banjo 1 and 2 on the switch maybe that would be enough to coerce them to throw a full team and millions at another banjo game.

Nov 14, 2017
The least Microsoft could do is fucking port BK and BT to PC and Switch. I don't expect much else, but at least do that.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
The problem is I feel like Banjo is so integrated with Nintendo now that it's hard to untangle them. They tried to do something cool and unique with Nuts & Bolts and it didn't work at all.

It'd probably never happen, but if Microsoft had Rare make Banjo-Threeie for Xbox AND Switch, it'd probably do pretty well.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
If Banjo comes back its going to be done by someone else mainly with Rare looking over it essentially as a support role like Battletoads or Killer Instinct.

Rare is busy making new games, Sea of Thieves just turned 2 and Everwild is probably 2ish years out and if PD is coming back im sure they had an advisory role like with everything else.
As someone that wishes for something Banjo related every E3 im completely cool with Rare going for new IP's that they are interested in, after all thats what made N64 Rare so good, they always had something new and fun around the corner and personally they delivered the fun with SoT.

SoT and I will always stick by this, it is the game ill remember this gen by. No other game in the last 10 years has brought me that much joy. Cant wait to see what Everwild is like.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
How well did Yooka-Laylee do? MS was probably looking at those sales numebers to see if they still care to do another Character Adventure platformer in 2020 when they were last popular in the late 90s/early aughts.

At the time Yooka Laylee was the fastest game on Kickstarter to reach 1 million dollars. (not sure if it still holds the record)

I think what caught Microsoft/Rare's eye more was the reaction to Banjo-Kazooie joining Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. They're crazy if they don't greenlight a remake/sequel after seeing that response.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
The only hope for this IP is Nintendo

Save the bear from purgatory, pls

I always wonder what would have happened if Nintendo had insisted on keeping some of those IPs. (There are rumors that Iwata wanted to negotiate for some of the characters in the Microsoft deal but it didn't get one)

Honestly I think it would have been better for Nintendo to have kept Perfect Dark and then found a western studio to take over the franchise. Nintendo has been missing a FPS franchise to call its own.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Besides Nintendo, what AAA studios make 3d platformers anymore? There's your answer. At best, you may get remakes of the first two Banjo games as a bundle developed by some third party studio.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see what the point of them making one would be. They'd be better off making a new platforming IP.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The duo are a legacy character, and now kids know who they are thanks to Smash Ultimate.

But Rare seems to be going forward only, no looking back.

I wish they would make a Banjo Threeie that rivals Super Mario Odyssey, but what do I know about what's best for them.

I wish Rare good luck with their upcoming titles and that they move gaming forward.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
They obviously have. Most of the Rare staff that worked on the original Banjo is long gone, and the staff that works there now would rather work on something new rather than being forced to refresh an old IP.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The duo are a legacy character, and now kids know who they are thanks to Smash Ultimate.

But Rare seems to be going forward only, no looking back.

I wish they would make a Banjo Threeie that rivals Super Mario Odyssey, but what do I know about what's best for them.

I wish Rare good luck with their upcoming titles and that they move gaming forward.
The problem is what studio could make a 3d platformer that rivals Super Mario Odyssey and sell millions at $60? That's the issue with 3d platformers in today's age. Publishers don't see the point in investing tens of millions trying to create a product that's not as popular as it once was, and is more difficult to impress in order to sell big numbers.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I am 100% sure Banjo will get the Crash/Spyro treatment. Launch title for XSX.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
I don't see what the point of them making one would be. They'd be better off making a new platforming IP.
Probably the name recognition and characters. Not that recognition helped N&B at all but the writing was really funny and a lot of the jokes worked well if you have that history to pull from and make references.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see much future for them. Their inclusion in Smash Bros. was based around the love for those characters yeah, but it was also filling in a long awaited missing spot in the Smash Bros. pantheon.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Insomniac has Ratchet.

Activison is probably making Crash and Spyro too.
Sony has Ratchet. Insomniac did well with their reimagining of Ratchet but did nowhere close to the numbers of Spider-Man. Guess what type of games Sony probably prefers Insomniac making? lol Although I wouldn't be surprised if Insomniac has a smaller team that will continue making Ratchet games.

Activision is going to make sequels to Crash and Spyro due to the success of their remake bundles, however there's a big risk that those games don't turn out good by modern standards and/or doesn't sell will. However here's hoping for the best because great success could open up more publishers willing to invest a little more into this genre again.

Oct 27, 2017
The RARE you knew and loved is no more. Take the new RARE for what it is or look elsewhere, the time for banjos, diddy kong racings and jet force gemini has passed.

And it sucks.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people have a kind of sentimental attachment to the IP, but I'm not sure if they are really going to throw down $50-60 on a new Banjo game.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say wait until this E3. If MS don't announce a new Banjo, we could consider the IP in the deep freeze

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
I hope so. I'd rather have a new conker anyway but I know that's not going to happen either. Sad days especially since rare was in a class of their own during the snes/n64 era but oh well.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The RARE you knew and loved is no more. Take the new RARE for what it is or look elsewhere, the time for banjos, diddy kong racings and jet force gemini has passed.

And it sucks.

Even old Rare staff still being around wouldnt do Diddy Kong Racing since the character belongs to nintendo
Also, you can keep Jet Force Gemini, thanks. I'd take "new" Rare Viva Piñatas over it any day.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure there is money for Xbox to remake the first two games then make a better third game of the series if the remakes sell.

Spryo and Crash proves there is a market for that.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure there is money for Xbox to remake the first two games then make a better third game of the series if the remakes sell.

Spryo and Crash proves there is a market for that.

Spyro and Clash were also multiplat games where a banjo trilogy most likely wouldnt.
I doubt Crash and Spyro would have made a significant impact if it was locked only to the PS4

People don't want 3D collectathons anymore. Yooka Layle proved it. Specially not on xbox/pc. And Rare doesn't want to use their old ips anymore, they want to make new stuff. You people complained about Microsoft meddling with studios for so long, and now that they aren't you want them to force Rare to do something they don't want to. Make up your minds.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
It's a mix of Rare having moved on and Microsoft never really caring in the first place.

And, honestly, that's fine. Banjo Kazooie was a relic of an older era of gaming and doesn't really seemed to have lended well to being modernized. Rare's own attempt at bringing it forward was highly divisive, while the guys who originally worked on it who tried to bring back the spirit of the games showed a mix of BK always being a bit of a flawed experience but also that they didn't really get what did work about it to begin with.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
A modern banjo would be cool, characters evolve and adapt (Master Chief was ridged initially until Cortona) Microsoft and Rare have to realize things have changed.