• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Has it?

• Yes

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Speedhack ;)

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Yo man the turbo feature has spoiled me as well as fast forwarding dialogue for JRPGs. It's hard for me to revisit some of these games or explore the ones I haven't tried.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's the UI's in my favorite RPG's from yesteryear. Even in the enhanced editions (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, etc) the UI's are a slog and occasionally unintuitive.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
I love them. Especially the turbo feature.

But also the boost thing in the rereleases of Final Fantasy 7 to 9.

I don't really feel like playing old-school games on their own terms atm. Especially not if they were very grindy or had a high encounter rate (hello Breath of Fire)

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
not really, adjusting is easy if you really want to play an older game.
the only thing that i cant go back to is no save support in old games but that can be resolved using save states in emulation

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and no. I opt for emulators most of the time for the older games, and emulators have turbo functions aplenty, which helps with the tedium of waiting through dialog I read faster than it scrolls past or grinding sessions.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
If anything they ruined my enjoyment of the latest Final Fantasy games that were re-released. Having things like the ability to just heal your entire group or grind super quickly due to 4x speed just makes me question if I should ever play the normal way. Why spend turns healing? Why not level my characters 4 x faster? It just makes me feel like cheating 24/7 and I hate it. No self control over here.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
not a jrpg player but things like huge areas between checkpoints, really poorly placed checkpoints, having to beat a giant level in one sitting, games where I can easily run out of lives, etc, games where you just get lost really, really easily, yes.

I find that I can enjoy some NES and SNES games, and lots of 360/ps3 era, but alot of PS1/n64/DC/PS2/Xbox/GC stuff tends to be really hard to revisit for me.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Nah I don't use those features in the modern re releases.

In fact i didn't know they were even there until a friend told me.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
nah

i mean, its nice to have (mostly faster battle/message times) but its not like i cant go back and play old games with old ass design mentalities

stuff like savestates, autosaving and suchs i never use anyway, even in new games. still bound by muscle memory to go back absurd amounts looking for a savepoint before every area i think there will be a boss on it

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
imo Final Fantasy XII was an amazing game on PS2.... but the ability to toggle to 4x speed now that I don't have a free 5+ hours after school to farm out the same encounters it's an absolute godsend. I wouldn't have picked it up again for PS4 and then again Xbox One if it wasn't for that

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to play the original Final Fantasy 7 recently and I just couldn't handle the jank and lack of QOL stuff after a few hours. So yeah, QOL features have a huge impact on what I can stomach now-a-days.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to adjust to old games in a any genre really easily. Once you accept that every era did things its own way, you quickly adjust I find.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
No, not at all.

I play old games all the time and it's just fine. Sometimes I'll use speedhacks or save states, but these are just supplemental and I would play them just the same without them.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No way. I like how old games are a bit like the wild west when you play them for the first time - anything can happen. And they often play by their own cruel rules. I love how "rough" games were back then. It's fun to see what developers were thinking would be fun when they had no blueprints from other games to draw upon.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Depends on the game. I don't normally notice text speed in games, but Xenogears is so bad that it really is hard to revisit for me. Part of me wonders if that even has to do with QoL improvements: Xenogears text speed was slow even among its contemporaries.