• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
As a coworker pointed out, Sony is VERY particular about the use of upper-case with anything to do with PlayStation. If you do graphic design for them, you have to follow very specific rules all across the board. We would need to see that whole font family to see how it treats capital and lower-case S before being sure that this wasn't just a graphic designer following upper-case orders.

For this family of typographies, capital and lower case S are usually virtually the same glyph, but scaled down. There's also two other things:

- The S has a slanted crossbar (a.k.a spine) - that's usual for the style - but the suspected 5 has a straight crossbar. I've never seen a typo of this style where the upper- and lower-case S glyphs use different crossbars. They're either both slanted or both straight.

- Suspected 5 has a terminal riser, but not a descender. That would be very, very unusual for an S glyph.

Both of these things, by the way, are very common ways to differentiate between S and 5 glyphs in this family. Kinda like we do the tail for the lower case L, the descender for the 1, etc.

Of course we'd have to see this particularly font to know 100% for sure (assuming it isn't bespoke), but I'm almost certain that's a 5.

Last edited:

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
The letter S on "Holidays" certainly looks different than that "S" on "PlayStation" which truly looks like a 5.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible fonts just look like that and they have PLAYSTATION and Holidays? Perhaps, the difference in uppercase and lowercase S/s?

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
6F1D07FBFD0E12AB895C5DA6C6E7E58636F53AC4

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
It's like a company can't have some fun teasing something with their fans without everyone getting their jimmies rustled. I'm sure they're having some fun with us and also setting something up for some type of announcement next year.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Sony already celebrated the 5 years of PlayStation when it was 5 years old in mid-November. They had a lot of online articles that week and did a lot of patting themselves on the back (rightly so) and even had a lot of stat charts. That was over a month ago now so this theme is unlikely to be part of that.

As others have pointed out, the changing of the 'S' to '5' is deliberate. Whether it is an actual high-up sanctioned tease is another matter.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
If they name it Play5tation I'm jumping ship to XBox. That kind of naming convention is worse than a bad pun.

But yeah it's nothing.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
As someone who works in marketing and comma, there's no way they used a different design for those Ss by accident.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't doubt that it could be just for 5 year anniversary but that's a 5 alright. Seems more like a reach to say it's an uppercase/lowercase letter scenario.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
So is it possible to get this theme somehow? I only found out about this newsletter from the Twitter thread.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
PLAY5TATION? please don't use that Sony, it's tacky as fuck. It doesn't really matter, but still. Ew.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
It looks like a 5 to me compared to the S, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Sony plans to continue making consoles.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean we all know it's coming, so whether this is a tease or not doesn't really matter.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
It's not coming in 2019. Please stop acting crazy.
So you think it's a coincidence that the 5 in Play5station is above the circle symbol, which we all know is the traditional confirmation button for PlayStation controllers in Japan? While being depicted underneath a mistletoe - people are expected to kiss underneath one. A kiss is the touch or pressing of one's lips against another person or an object. Object rhymes with greenhouse effect. Greenhouse effects are caused by gasses like CO2. CO2 is Carbon dioxide's chemical formula. Chemical formulas are being made by using the periodic table. The international year of the periodic table of chemical elements is 2019.

Coincidence? It doesn't seem like it.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Oh Team 2019. You're all adorable. Crazy, but adorable.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How old is the ps4 OP?
1) why would Sony be coy about the PS4's 5th anniversary (it was back in November though... It's now in its 6th year)?

2) It says PLAY5TATION, not PLAY5TATION 4

I think people might be jumping the gun, sure, but there is some reasons to be puzzled imo.
Add to that the Japanese devs allegedly mentionning a 2019 reveal...

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Wait where is this theme? Didn't get an email on either of my accounts. :(