• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a tease to me, but not a sign of a 2019 release. As soon as Sony announced that they're skipping E3 next year, I figured something PS5-related was coming. This seems just like a fun little affirmation of that.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
giphy.gif

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's just because of the 5 year anniversary. So nothing to see here.
They sent different happy 5 years emails out last week with a video generator of some of your statistics and stuff.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
this is most likely for 5th year for PS4,
however,
Famitsu published an article for new years where developers talk about the coming year, you can see most of it in the next gen thread when developers have been teasing a 2019 reveal.
Now a new piece of that article came out.

considering others mentioned reveal in 2019, and this mentions big change in 2020, the thing i take from this is 2019 reveal and 2020 release,

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'm with the whole "it's been 5 years" thing

but also even if it was teasing the PS5... we already... know???

Like sure it might not be official but I doubt anyone anywhere thinks Sony is casually sitting on its laurels not bothering with any new hardware

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
this is most likely for 5th year for PS4,
however,
Famitsu published an article for new years where developers talk about the coming year, you can see most of it in the next gen thread when developers have been teasing a 2019 reveal.
Now a new piece of that article came out.

considering others mentioned reveal in 2019, and this mentions big change in 2020, the thing i take from this is 2019 reveal and 2020 release,

This syncs up with the correct answer of H1 2020 PS5 release.

Change your vote now peeps.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I hope it's nothing. We seriously don't need new consoles yet.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
It must be a easter egg snuck by the designer, but it would be so cool if was a soft reveal hahaha.

Either way it's great and I hope we never get an answer. Is miss the mistery surrouding video game related things.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure the next gen console will be called "Playstation 5". Sony would have to be dumb to change the convention at this point.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
I mean is there some poor lost soul out there who really isn't sure if a PS5 is going to be coming out at some point? I mean if they're 8 years old or something i guess I get it but other than that I don't understand.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
That is clearly a 5 but it's likely referencing 5 years of PS4 and not a teaser for PS5.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why should they tease new console 2 years in advance...?

If PS5 is Q4 2019, where are the dev kits? While first party may have them, we have a pretty good insider base here and on Kotaku that say no third party has kits yet. Turning over PS5 games within the same year for Q4 launch seems a bit rushed, no? Unless they are going to launch soley first party and super rushed PS5 games.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like anything in reference to "5 years of PS4" is going to get confused for PS5. Likewise, any actual cryptic tease of the PS5 is going to be confused for "eh, its probably something to do with the PS4's 5th anniversary".

It will be an interesting year.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
If PS5 is Q4 2019, where are the dev kits? While first party may have them, we have a pretty good insider base here and on Kotaku that say no third party has kits yet. Turning over PS5 games within the same year for Q4 launch seems a bit rushed, no? Unless they are going to launch soley first party and super rushed PS5 games.

The only person here who knows this,our Mod Matt,didn't comment anything on this topic in months.Everybody else is guessing and speculating.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
if the ps5 was release in 2019 they wouldn't be skipping e3 especially now that its open to the public.

they may reveal the ps5 after e3 and release in 2020 though