• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
This is the problem right here. I genuinely believe that game is going to look absolutely mindblowing. A 1 minute gameplay video would've answered all questions, it would've floored people.

The narrative has changed... that playstation event was a huge disappointment for people. I think it was much better than MSFTs but for now it's been passing the baton of underwhelmed this gen. How on earth this keeps happening is totally beyond me.
I'm pretty sure PlayStation's presentation was the exact opposite of a disappointment if social media metrics are anything to go by.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we really needed yet another thread to go over the same topic we've already had multiple threads on but the entire point of Xbox's Game Showcase was to show us games and some nextgen gameplay that they really didn't show any of yet, people waited over two months to see the 'gameplay' we were promised last time.

So now people are discussing the 'next gen' gameplay we were shown, whether it was good or bad it was always going to dominate the conversation, no need to try to steer it any other way because there isn't much other gameplay or visuals we'd classify as next gen to be talking about at the moment. I'm excited for the other games like any other reasonable person but there is only so much you can glean from cg trailers with no release dates.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
User banned (1 month): Platform wars. Trolling. Prior bans for the same.
Gamepass is a threat so fanboys naturally look for faults. Clearly it was halo infinite in the firing line this time.....

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, if they showed more gameplay than Halo's and The Medium's, there'd probably be more things to talk about outside of those games and Game Pass. As it stands, most of the games they revealed are still years away and so there isn't much to talk about that. We also didn't get gameplay from them so again, nothing to talk about.

And also, Game Pass as a talking point is immediately ineffective when you are coming from a country/market that doesn't have Game Pass, so the showcase wasn't really inclusive to all gamers imho.

This notion that somehow Sony showing was way better is really confusing lol, if you watch there trailers next to each other both seem to be damn near the same showing. Nothing mic dropping, some cgi, some in game, what am i missing. Halo which was never a graphical showcase series to begin, somehow made the rest of the show suck ? lol. Just seem like some heavy bias

At the very least, Sony came in with gameplay footage for many of the games, even if they were technically "in-engine"--so whether or not you were impressed by them, there were still loads to talk about.

And also, there were generally a lot of meme material from Sony's press conference (Bugsnax, Cat game!) whereas Microsoft showing so little offers little meme material (except for, again, Halo Infinite)

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I felt like MS threw the whole Halo franchise under the bus just to sell gamepass. No one in 343i probably thought that was a good demo to show, they were probably rushed just because the other games on the showcase are cgi.

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What happens if it turns out to be a great game?

It turns out that people really like generations after all. Next-generation gameplay was shown in another next-generation console, before this. And there is already a platform where you can play in an "upgraded/customized" fashion from the next generation of consoles, the next generation gives PC players something to look forward to as well. So where does that leave xbox?

A seemingly generation-less console family + differentiation and confusion over which gamepass games you can play where = as a gamepass subscriber, what should I be thinking about doing or getting in the next year? Though some may not like the answers, both PC and PS have answered this question by now, and even after showing gameplay we're still waiting for the answer from MS.
What confusion over which games you can play where? all seems transparent and simple to me.

Why is everyone so confused about everything suddenly? Or worried about other people potentially being confused, about names of consoles or where people can play games. People seem to think that everyone is a complete moron. And others are also comparing this to Xbox's 2013 E3? People have completely lost their sense of perspective. This whole event is getting blown out of proportion on this forum.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Sony had 9 published games announced :
- Miles Morales - Gameplay Snippet
- Astro´s Playroom - Gameplay
- Sackboy - Gameplay
- Returnal - Gameplay
- GT7 - Gameplay
- Destruction All Stars - Gameplay Snippet
- Demons Souls - No gameplay trailer, gameplay screenschots after the show
- Horizon 2 - No gameplay, or you could argue that gameplay snippet but let´s leave as no gameplay.

You must have seen another show.
On top of that they made it clear that everything shown on their show was running on PS5 systems. Meanwhile MS which showed nothing besides Halo had Halo running on a PC.

GT - Actual gameplay shown

R&C - Actual gameplay shown

Returnal - Gameplay clips included in the video

Kena - Gameplay clips shown in video

Abe - Gameplay clips shown in video

Ghostwire - A couple of tiny gameplay clips during video.

Godfall - Loads of gameplay clips in the video.

Astros playroom - Gameplay shown in video.

Little devil inside - A couple of small gameplay clips in the video.

Deathloop - Plenty of gameplay shown.

Sackboy - Gameplay shown in video.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I'm pretty sure PlayStation's presentation was the exact opposite of a disappointment if social media metrics are anything to go by.

sony has an absolute stranglehold on mindshare right now. They posted a picture of their controller and it basically rewrote engagement records, and most people I talked to both on here, on social media, on forums, in person ETC thought it was pretty ugly. You even had a ton of people mocking up alternatives. I think most people are excited for playstation no doubt, but people definitely expected more in terms of gameplay and things like GT7 were underwhelming

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The narrative has changed... that playstation event was a huge disappointment for people. I think it was much better than MSFTs but for now it's been passing the baton of underwhelmed this gen. How on earth this keeps happening is totally beyond me.
This simply isn't true.

This is the era bubble of the vocal minority of people saying how much they were disappointed but look elsewhere, be it social media or YouTube and most people came away impressed and more hyped than they were before.

The difference with Microsoft is that not only are people here complaining about the visuals of Halo but it's also gone mainstream with casuals and youtubers being mostly negative as well as articles being written about how disappointed people were.

Now that people have both to compare to each other, PlayStation is solidifying itself as the place for next gen graphics.

Things can change of course but that's how it is right now.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's next gen Halo, it should be mindblowing. It looks about as impressive as a current gen Far Cry game...

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
1. Can't talk about Series X, no game was shown running on it
2. Can't talk about CGI of games I don't even know how they play
3. Spent a whole month hyping Halo
4. Shows us a current Gen demo.

But Gamepass though.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
There just wasn't much shown. The few new first party games were cgi teasers. Psychonauts 2 got delayed , again, to 2021 and the rest of the lineup was just kinda boring.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
GT - Actual gameplay shown

R&C - Actual gameplay shown

Returnal - Gameplay clips included in the video

Kena - Gameplay clips shown in video

Abe - Gameplay clips shown in video

Ghostwire - A couple of tiny gameplay clips during video.

Godfall - Loads of gameplay clips in the video.

Astros playroom - Gameplay shown in video.

Little devil inside - A couple of small gameplay clips in the video.

Deathloop - Plenty of gameplay shown.

Sackboy - Gameplay shown in video.
Destruction All-Stars showed gameplay clips as well

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sony had 9 published games announced :
- Miles Morales - Gameplay Snippet
- Astro´s Playroom - Gameplay
- Sackboy - Gameplay
- Returnal - Gameplay
- GT7 - Gameplay
- Destruction All Stars - Gameplay Snippet
- Demons Souls - No gameplay trailer, gameplay screenschots after the show
- Horizon 2 - No gameplay, or you could argue that gameplay snippet but let´s leave as no gameplay.

You must have seen another show.
On top of that they made it clear that everything shown on their show was running on PS5 systems. Meanwhile MS which showed nothing besides Halo had Halo running on a PC.
You forgot ratchet with gameplay as well. Plus Deathloop, Ghostwire, and Project Athia (timed exclusives) all had gameplay in their trailers

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not guaranteeing they're gameplay, They're a good indication of what I expect the game to look like for instance 1:38 in the trailer.

That still looks like part of the cutscene of that trailer but I will grant you could be right. I am just not expecting it to be like the trailer, it will be beautiful I don't doubt that.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Aaaaand another thread...

Halo Infinite did not look awful... was it a next gen graphical showcase? No...

We're the graphics awful? No....

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018

This notion that somehow Sony showing was way better is really confusing lol, if you watch there trailers next to each other both seem to be damn near the same showing. Nothing mic dropping, some cgi, some in game, what am i missing. Halo which was never a graphical showcase series to begin, somehow made the rest of the show suck ? lol. Just seem like some heavy bias

I mean I think Sony did better at capturing a variety of games and while Microsoft had a decent amount of diversity Sony delivered more on core ip of a variety of genres and had a more indie focus which is going to get a lot of more enthusiast gamers to be excited. Whereas Microsoft with really the exceptions of Gunk and Psychonauts leaned more into more for lack of a better word gritty games.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There was ... a lot of Halo Infinite hype leading into Microsoft's July Showcase.

Going into it, I was seriously hoping we'd be seeing 2020's Breath of the Wild. What I got was a gameplay trailer that looked, 4k resolution aside, just like a generation 8 game.

So, yeah. It is what it is. People were so interested in that trailer that they took it apart frame by frame and we got Craig the Brute.

GuiltyGB

Apr 6, 2020

What confusion over which games you can play where? all seems transparent and simple to me.

Why is everyone so confused about everything suddenly? Or worried about other people potentially being confused, about names of consoles or where people can play games. People seem to think that everyone is a complete moron. And others are also comparing this to Xbox's 2013 E3? People have completely lost their sense of perspective. This whole event is getting blown out of proportion on this forum.
It will be but the mission they showed was the most run of the mill level they ever could have used. Boring AF. They should have shown a showpiece, nothing about Cortana or nothing. They should have left us wanting more... not show that cringe ass brute monologue. That aint Shakespeare bro.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
What else are we gonna talk about, the CG zombie deer?

Halo was the only demo besides Forza right? It was shown with zero explanation. They let the game do the talking and it didn't speak very well.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
only Era is turning xbox showcase as negative mostly.. the casuals out there i'm sure are excited for the games coming..
I sometimes feel like we treat gamers outside the forum as rare species with no knowledge of anything game related. The Halo discussion has definitely gone outside of the usual forums lol
Bloodstained happens, people like it, recommend it. End of story

BigSkinny0310

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
The explosions of those big guy's pods is the worst part of the demo. It really looks a CW show explosion

Oct 27, 2017
There were basically three takeaways from that event:
  1. Halo Infinite is in really, really rough shape and probably could do with being delayed.
  2. The rest of the games - particularly first party - are pretty early stage and won't reasonably come out till 2022 & beyond.
  3. Game Pass is cool.
We knew #3 already, so of course folks will gravitate largely towards Halo being disappointing.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It turned into a conversation about a few things that's divisive. Halo just seems to be the biggest thing.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I sometimes feel like we treat gamers outside the forum as rare species with no knowledge of anything game related. The Halo discussion has definitely gone outside of the usual forums lol

Bloodstained happens, people like it, recommend it. End of story
For real... I thought it looked fine, but when you start seeing ign/inside gaming etc covering it you know it's not just an Era bubble thing

Dind´t mention Ratchet because the user already talked about it.
And was focusing on 1P offerings only.
Gotcha 👍

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Crazy that Microsoft has been saying the right thing for the last several years and building tremendous amounts of goodwill in the gaming community. Then we get the first conference earlier this year which is a bust, who would of thought Microsoft would of dropped the ball harder at this July conference.

Just Crazy that everyone at Microsoft must of watched that halo infinite footage, I mean they had to right? How do you watch that and think its ready or something you should show to promote your new console.

The Halo infinite incident might end up being worse for microsoft then the whole always on xbox one fiasco.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
You think that Horizon trailer is the game you will play?? Seriously?
Have you seen the screen shots? That thing had no anti aliasing, it looked rough haha. It wasn't CG (I'm a PC guy, I admire Horizon in screen shot threads, but I never played it myself. I have a PS4 but I don't mess with it a lot because I'm not paying for PS+ to play multiplayer, and PC multiplayer has no sub).

A refresher, look at these at actual size, you have to click them on resetera and magnify.

EaRKLxYXgAIKuT0

EaRLDuUXYAszjiS

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This was supposed to be Halo Infinite's coming out party. Its the flagship/mascot franchise for Xbox coinciding with a console launch. Is it that surprising that Craig has dominated the conversation as opposed to CG trailers or concept trailers (Rare doesn't know what Everwild is yet) for stuff that is probably at least a year or more away?

Conor

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will be but the mission they showed was the most run of the mill level they ever could have used. Boring AF. They should have shown a showpiece, nothing about Cortana or nothing. They should have left us wanting more... not show that cringe ass brute monologue. That aint Shakespeare bro.
Well I agree that it was a poor way to show the game. I've been loving some of the memes that have come out of it. I just think some are reading far too much into it and blowing it out of proportion. People are acting like this is Halo and the Series X done for.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
That still looks like part of the cutscene of that trailer but I will grant you could be right. I am just not expecting it to be like the trailer, it will be beautiful I don't doubt that.

Again I mostly agree with that that's the problem. I simply don't understand how companies don't understand this yet? Every damn show. The majority of shows people come away disappointed. Back in the day it was because of the majority of the show being dominated by sales numbers, business stuff, etc. but now the focus is games games games... that's great and all but we don't want cinematics, ESPECIALLY when a new gen is here... we want to see what it is that we're investing in. These consoles have big price tags, what are we paying for here? Can you show us what's so much better about these consoles that requires that upgrade? Again at the end of the day, the average person doesn't really care a ton about checkerboard vs. native, 60 fps vs. 30 fps, ray tracing, etc. they just care about what it looks like. We've been seeing cinematics since forever in gaming, gameplay always is what matters. Why not show your supposed industry leading games? Show us hellblade, show us horizon, show us demon's souls, show us that 12 teraflops you're boasting about, that goes for both companies if that wasn't clear.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I don't know why there are people wanting to say that the presentations were the same or similar in regard of the CGI stuff, wasn't it confirmed by more than one person that everything that it had at Sony's presentation was in real time?
And even if you don't believe it, after the GTAV trailer (which was ridiculous in my opinion), it was said that everything from then on was running on the PS5, something that didn't even happen at Microsoft's presentation, at worst it was in-engine stuff mixed with gameplay or cinematic angles.
IIRC the one moment that had CGI was the Demon's Souls intro in the reveal.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Aaaaand another thread...

Halo Infinite did not look awful... was it a next gen graphical showcase? No...

We're the graphics awful? No....

That's the thing... Since when was Halo a graphical showcase? It's always looked... fine, and the art style has been good and bad over the years, but for their time, each Halo game wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire from a graphics perspective.

An argument could be made for CE and MAYBE 2, but 3, ODST, Reach? They were hardly the best looking games on their platforms at their launch. Halo 4 technically looked good, but a lot of fans didn't like the art style, same dealio with 5, when they decided to target 60fps for the first time - which requires a one-time detriment to graphics. People using Gears 5 as an example and all I can say to that is that pretty much every single Gears game has had better graphics than the Halo counterpart the launched around the same time.