• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I recently wanted to get into Magic the Gathering Arena, which seemed right up my alley as a casual fan of the game without many people to play it with. But the monetization and grind left me cold. I had already done it with Hearthstone and I didn't feel like getting back into a game that makes me feel obligated to play it every day.

What about you?

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
Forza 7. Way too aggressive.

Such a disappointment after the magnum opus : Forza 6.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I stopped playing Faeria since the expansions limited the cards I could get.

I could be an awesome Voez player but monetisation BS stopped me from that

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I recommend Pokemon TCG, you can get decks and booster packs for free easily.

I want to play some MMO, but buying the game + expansions + monthly sub won't happen.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
when I try F2P games and see that there is 0 progression without paying for "passes" or whatever, I just lose my interest very quickly

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
It happens really frequently in gacha games i play on mobile. I end up tired of the grinding and/or limited time events that usually give you good units/characters/whatever the game focuses on. That´s why i usually drop them, because i don´t have time to waste it in repetitive chores.

With paid games i don´t remember right now a clear example. Maybe Battlefront 2 at launch with their lootbox fiasco.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch's loot box stuff had a hand in me not playing anymore. I found it frustrating that skins I wanted i'd have to drop money on loot boxes and that by chance i'd get the one I wanted, or hope that I got enough duplicates to buy the one I wanted. Over time it made me less invested in the customization/progression of the game and was a part of why I don't play anymore. For a game that was good about getting me invested in the characters and wanting to get skins for them, it rubbed me the really wrong way when I could only do that with loot boxes instead of just buying a skin outright for $15 or whatever.

JCADX

Oct 29, 2017
when I try F2P games and see that there is 0 progression without paying for "passes" or whatever, I just lose my interest very quickly

The "battle passes" are something that is often associated with tedious repetitive grind doing weird "missions" to score more points (that are generally gained in a slow rate). In Crash Team Racing, for instance, there are insanely absurd challenges like win a race driving backwards or win an online match starting 8th in the last lap.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Oh yes. Probably the most obvious example off the top of my head is Shadow of War. Fuck all of that bullshit.

Many of the recent games had me interested but fell off my radar when I learned about how they are monetized. Just not worth it to spend time and or money on them, still a lot of great games without stupid lootboxes and gacha stuff.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Plants Vs Zombies 2 before they fixed it.

Way too aggressive in shoving you into their store to buy items to reset time limits.

Oh yes. Probably the most obvious example off the top of my head is Shadow of War. Fuck all of that bullshit.

Many of the recent games had me interested but fell off my radar when I learned about how they are monetized. Just not worth it to spend time and or money on them, still a lot of great games without stupid lootboxes and gacha stuff.

The only thing I can say about Shadow of War's fucked monetization is that at least it didn't go whole hog on it until the final chapter.

But man...what a shitty chapter.

Dec 23, 2017
Monetization is always something I have to consider now whenever I buy or look into games, which sucks.

I wish I could go back in time before monetization was introduced and not have to worry about it again.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Hearthstone insisting on preorder bundles for 80 bucks are a good reminder that the value you get is just trash and I'm better off taking my business (and my free time) somewhere else.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
I found Let It Die to be torturous without the premium features but it wasn't that good to begin with.

Last edited:

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped playing some games because of it, but mostly, I didn't even consider purchasing or start playing A LOT of games because of their monetization models.

ZeroCoin

Oct 26, 2017
Apex Legends turned me off on their monetization. I went from ready to buy the battle pass to never touching it again. In the mobile space, PvZ 2 (not Garden Warfare) and Where's My Water 2 had terrible f2p systems that completely killed the games for me.

On the other side, I got into Garden Warfare 2 and Battlefront 2 after they toned things down and enjoyed them. Also I've enjoyed Magic Arena a ton and haven't spent a single dollar.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Not directly the monetization but I was turned off by the amount grinding and timers in Warframe.

Deleted member 47076

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
The way weapons were locked behind loot boxes in Black Ops 3 really rubbed me the wrong way. Not only did you need to open loot boxes, but it was incredibly hard to get all the guns. I remember youtubers paying hundreds if not thousands to do it.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I used to have gambling problems.
I probably still do but I'm avoiding anything related to gambling so...
Yes
If there's any kind of microtransactions or lootbox, I'm OUT

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Absolutely, yes.

Obnoxious in-your-face monetization is an instant turnoff.
So are half finished games with nebulous DLC promises.
So are "GAAS" games that don't have much gameplay and really only exist to monetize cosmetics.
Games that lock progression behind monetization can fuck off, like recent the recent AssCreed titles.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
Definitely Battlefront 2. Just gross amounts of it at launch and even though I did use some of my Origin Access trial time with it, it wasn't fun enough to get me to come back after they changed it. I don't play nearly as much Rocket League as I used to either now that I think about it. You get a crate just about every other match but you have to spend money to open them, or grind for hours to get a single decryptor.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Yea. DOA and Final Fantasy NT. Was excited about both but after playing the free versions the actual purchase options look complicated and there is so much purchasable content I don't think I would be satisfied with £30 for base roster but knowing there's packs for extra weapons, characters, skins, music etc.

If things were in neat expansion packs I don't mind but loads of little purchases put me off. Battlefield V annoys me for how it kinda tempts you into opening what amounts to it's store page to advertise skins and elites I'm never going to buy. Stopped playing that too but don't think it was down to the monetisation alone just too much other better stuff to play.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
GTA V and Forza. They're way too aggressive, especially GTA V. As soon as you boot it up you get several calls from various characters who really wants you to invest money in various things.

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch for me. The whole "drive" of the game for me was to get Skins since its the only thing that feels like "progression". And after multiple events of feeling like timed event skins being impossible to get due to luck, I felt like I'd rather spend my time somewhere else before I get even slightly tempted to blow stupid amounts of money on something that doesn't matter.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV
I'm done with subscriptions, but it isn't as ruthless as FFXI was (subbing on anything but the first of the month would mean less days of actual access to the game. Doing it on the 29th or 30th would mean 2 or less days).

Forza Horizon 4
I was going to get it but seeing the MTX and that having the double loot or credit buff was recommended for enjoyment made me pass on it. Kind of glad I did or I wouldn't have bought The Crew 2 later. I love flying and the different disciplines (hovercraft, boats, drift, formula 1, even monster truck events. Adds to the variety).

Assassin's Creed Origin and Odyssey
MTX

DMC5
MTX, and I love the series. I was going to wait to get it on sale to counter the inclusion of MTX but I just don't even think I'd want to play it anymore after looking at some people play some of it. I do have DMC that I have and enjoy but never had the time to finish though. Been itching for something like GOW, especially on PC.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch for me. The whole "drive" of the game for me was to get Skins since its the only thing that feels like "progression". And after multiple events of feeling like timed event skins being impossible to get due to luck, I felt like I'd rather spend my time somewhere else before I get even slightly tempted to blow stupid amounts of money on something that doesn't matter.

I definitely agree with the skins being the only reason I played the game sometimes.

Jun 24, 2019
Fantasia, a not so old app game.

It was addicting yet so wasteful, and the microtransactions were awful.

The game evolved to become a pay to win system in a short span of time. It wasn't worth playing anymore.

Streets of Rage

Alt account
Banned
Jun 26, 2019
I haven't touched a single game that has any kind of microtransactions in it for years now. As soon as games without microtransaction will stop being released, that hobby is dead for me. At least if it comes to playing new games.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
GTA V Online. It was perfect around launch then they got more and more greedy
Oh this too. They removed the replay mission button first, making it a chore for me to do the missions I liked that helped me make some credits, not exploitative missions either. I treated the mission like a speed run to try to beat my previous time while I gained credits. Then they made it so repeating the same mission would give you less rewards, and they continued to make playing normally a pain like even Survival being nerfed when it wasn't all that easy to do and now it's less of a reward? Screw you and your shark cards. I did quit with 11mil, in the end I just didn't care, and started putting hits on people to see if I'd enjoy it. Most of the 11 mil was randomly gifted to me from a person I didn't know. I never did exploits.

The thing about MTX in games is that playing without spending (extra) real money is usually made more tedious by design. That's no fun, not all games do this, and some of the F2P games I like handle monitization super well. It took me years to finally spend money on Path of Exile, and after I did so I don't feel like it benefited me much. I already had tons of space by using other characters as mules, now those extra character slots are just there.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Well implemented monetization strategies don't bother me.

WoW with both it's in game shop, and subscription are pretty good examples, nothing gives you an inherent advantage(Except the level boost, but even that is just a time saver).

When a game has content locked behind absurdly difficult challenges that shouldn't be that difficult without making a purchase, that's when I drop them.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I completely ignore the monetization model and play without paying a cent. Worked in every game, so far.

But then again, I don't really play games with agressive monetization models, especially if they are P2W.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
yes, I loved playing Cod Black Ops 3, and the second lootboxes were introduced and lootbox exclusive weapons were thrown into them, I stopped playing the game, and haven't bought a single Cod game since.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I've been buying sports games much less frequently than I used to because the monetization is overbearing in so many of them these days.

Teejay

Oct 27, 2017

That's one of my most hated monetization scheme. You play and do something for a few mins but your "energy" runs out. You can wait a few hours for it to recharge or buy crystals/power/gems in order to charge the energy.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, mainly mobile games. If I can't play the game because of timers or other artificial constraints, your game can get fucked.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Rocket League was the first game I actively played that pulled crate&key shenanigans and it made me drop the game for years, until very recently

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
It's usually what eventually kills my interest. Caused or greatly contributed to my quitting Black Ops 3 (and become disillusioned with Treyarch's MO in general), Paladins, and Uncharted 4 MP off the top of my head. And numerous other games where I won't touch a piece of DLC because it's all so horribly priced.

Aiervon

Digital Strategist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Dallas
I stopped purchasing NBA 2K over the last couple of years due to the aggressive monetization.