• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Has Microsoft/343's tight-lipped approach to Halo Infinite increased or decreased your interest?

• Increased - I'm dying to know more

Votes: 414 43.4%
  • Decreased - it's giving me a bad feeling about the game

Votes: 540 56.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
Unfortunately in a post-Bungie world Halo appears to have lost its relevance. But that's what happens when you turn something into a franchise that should never have been a franchise. Just like movies, some things just need to be one and done. Or three and done. At one point the art and the money came together. Now it' s just about the money.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
The game obviously had development issues, whether that shows in the final product is impossible to tell until it's actually in people's hands. Look forward to playing the campaign regardless. I've given up hope they'll ever top 3/Reach levels of greatness though.
Is it obvious that its had development issues? I'm not seeing it. Could it be they're just waiting to release a new Halo for the new system launch?

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
H5 movement and mp was top tier halo since part 2. I didn't like their single player games but the technical mastery of h4 on xbox 360 should give them enough credit.

Plus, they're still supporting h5 till this day.

Fiddle

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I was quite interested with the first reveal but the 2nd trailer wasn't good at all. Terribly cheesy and we're still going with the ultra lame cortana bad plot. I thought it was supposed to be a reboot or reimagining? Thats what Infinite needs, not yet another awful sequel to H4 and 5.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Neither. 4 and 5 ruined the franchise for me and I remain wholly unconvinced that 343i will be able to rebuild it in a way I would find satisfactory.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Not really worried, I know the multiplayer is gonna kick ass. Their silence is getting rather loud at this point though, maybe they're just a bit behind schedule. Delay it if you have to 343 (and the Series X along with it, if that's what it takes).

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm never going to ignore an impending Halo release, but their approach so far has done nothing to encourage my interest. I simply do not trust 343i, I don't think they've done an all around job at anything they've been involved with be it Halo 4, Halo 5, MCC or their overseeing of Halo Wars.

I'm primarily interested in the multiplayer side of things and they've said nothing about it.

Gears 5 was really well received, a lot of people LOVE its campaign.

The game left the zeitgeist incredibly fast. It's a complete irrelevance on the multiplayer front.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably trying to avoid the Halo 5 scenario where the product didn't meet the expectations from pre release trailers

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
I think a lot of Halo fandom puts the Bungie games on a pedestal. Bungie made some serious missteps too, with wild changes from game to game, trashing core concepts for completely new ones. The story was always skin deep and just kinda there to justify you going from place to place killing aliens. There's nothing wrong with that, but let's not make it into something it's not, eh?

As someone that likes the 343i games, I wish they'd have stopped with Reach like everyone else. Halo 3 really did finish the fight. The story was, for all intents and purposes, over. Everything that has come after has been unnecessary. We got a couple fun side stories with Reach (kinda nonsensical) and ODST. A great rts spin off. They should have stopped there and tried something different. The franchise was in a serious state of fatigue by the time 343 got involved and I can't blame them for that.

I hope Infinite is good. I'm definitely going to play it. But I really hope it's the last Halo game for a very long time.

Apr 30, 2019
If it's not MA17 and with split screen...I just wont bother. Team has had many chances.

I agree, Halo needs to be rated M again. Removing the blood in Halo 5 was a huge mistake, and they better bring back the flood after 3 major titles of them being absent when they're the most crusial aspect of Halo's freaking plot. If it's rated M, they could go all out on the gruesomeness of the flood with next gen graphics and could really pull off some horror vibes in those parts of the game.

edit:
Also to reiterate since I keeps reading the same sentiment: This is the first Halo since 2001 to be released at the launch of a new Xbox. We haven't seen gameplay of any next gen games, so that's why we haven't seen more of Halo Infinite.

Last edited:

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Neither. I don't exactly need to know about a product years in advance. Only need to know about something when they start charging money for it. But tbh, I don't really care about this franchise, I'll play it on Game Pass though /shrug.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Neither. Doesn't bother me how they've handled it. We'll see more when it's ready I'm sure.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I hope Infinite is good. I'm definitely going to play it. But I really hope it's the last Halo game for a very long time.
I would love to see this Halo get content for years and years. Multiplayer and Campaign (not at the expense of the base campaign, but content that continues Chief's story).

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a Halo fan by any stretch but I'd tune in to a blow out. I'm interested in how they are going to revive the franchise.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
i always thought halo infinite would have been the poster child for this years E3... full showing, full details, everyone agreeing it looks great

obviously a bit different now, but it's still the main game on my immediate radar

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It doesnt really matter what they have done before or not - the final product and how they push it post launch is whats gonna matter.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
i always thought halo infinite would have been the poster child for this years E3... full showing, full details, everyone agreeing it looks great

obviously a bit different now, but it's still the main game on my immediate radar
Hopefully the digital events will be just a fullfilling. I really hope they won't prerecord them. It makes them soulless.

LukasHeinzel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Halo Universe is the most interesting for me, through the vast media options you can experience the lore and story. It really became amazing with Halo 4, Bungie was always way to cryptic. They build a great universe, but 343 build it with so much intresting story's through Books, Movies and the actual games of course.

So I can't wait what Infinite will do, the teasing and pre produced stuff like podcasts, the series or maybe another movie will be amazing. Halo is unreachable, I love everything about it.

FUNKNOWN iXi

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately in a post-Bungie world Halo appears to have lost its relevance. But that's what happens when you turn something into a franchise that should never have been a franchise. Just like movies, some things just need to be one and done. Or three and done. At one point the art and the money came together. Now it' s just about the money.
Fuckin lol, I can't imagine a world where there's no more Halo after 3.

This is some batshit hot take imo. Halo is one of the greatest franchises in gaming. It's a juggernaut in relevance, critical reception and financial success with its brand, both in and outside of gaming. The fact that this opinion is still a thing in 2020 is some crap.

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
all i wanted was for them to move away from master chief and for it to focus on another conflict in that universe. so meh.

xFiona

Oct 27, 2017
Norway

This is some batshit hot take imo. Halo is one of the greatest franchises in gaming. It's a juggernaut in relevance, critical reception and financial success with its brand, both in and outside of gaming. The fact that this opinion is still a thing in 2020 is some crap.
You are factually correct. This would be akin to discontinuing Mario. Halo and Mario are the top staples in gaming

hank_tree

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's on Gamepass and it'll be a launch title so I'm gonna play it Day 1 anyways, So the hype isn't that important.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Their silence doesn't mean much. If a game catches my interest, generally silence just means more time for me to stay excited for it, I don't need to worry about going radio silent on it myself.

That being said, this is 343i, and they've run out of chances for me. I simply cannot imagine a world where 343 makes a Halo game that I'd even like.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I wouldn't necessarily say it's decreased my interest but I just won't care until I see what it actually is and that it's actually fresh. I used to absolutely love Halo but I'm just so tired of the whole thing at this point.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope for a graphical show case, I don't care about frame rates being high. I buy new tech because it gives me a reason to do so and games are very much visually driven. Yes, I know fps is part of that. For people that want to play mp, fine, do 120fps or whatever, I won't touch it anyway. But for single player, go all in. The compromise is the Xbox One already so crank everything up to the absolute max.
I am currently not it optimistic but want to be blown out of my socks when they show it.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
They don't have to sell me, I'm already going to play it. They do need to show me cause I'm getting antsy waiting for it!

jem

Oct 25, 2017

Yup. Even Halo 5 which had a relatively poor critical reception and followed up the disaster which was launch MCC managed to become the 12th best selling title on the Xbox.

Even at its low points Halo is massive.

Infinite is going to be huge. Not only is it rekindling that hype and nostalgia pretty successfully, but it's also a launch title for the new Xbox and it'll be coming out on Gamepass.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Honestly, while I'm looking forward to Infinite I haven't thought about it much, if at all.

Personally I would have liked seeing more than we have, much more.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't mind a new screenshot of something. Maybe an old 3D screenshot, that would be cool or a short game play moment.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Can't say I really care anymore, but 343 really need this to be great as their past record with the franchise is not great.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just here for entertaining Halo takes.

Same here, especially for those that will never buy an Xbox haha!
On Topic - I think 3rd time's the charm for 343i, they have a new engine, a huge pool of developers working on it for well over 5 years to build and refine the game to perfection. It has to be good with all those elements right?

With regards to information, they didn't need to reveal anything on the last E3 either, but they did. I figured they'd just reveal it when its ready.

Jaaake

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
On Topic - I think 3rd time's the charm for 343i, they have a new engine, a huge pool of developers working on it for well over 5 years to build and refine the game to perfection. It has to be good with all those elements right?
If it's another flop, then I fear the worst for 343i as a studio. They've worked on the IP long enough now that they have no excuses for messing it up.

I'm not sure how many chances core Halo fans are willing to give them at this point too.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

With regards to information, they didn't need to reveal anything on the last E3 either, but they did. I figured they'd just reveal it when its ready.
One thing I think people who aren't really into Halo might have missed from the trailers is how much information they convey in terms of tone and visual design, which were some of the biggest issues people had with 343 Halo.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
The statements Infinite has made so far are promising, I love that they've reverted back to the original Chief design.

That said Halo 4 is probably the most disappointing sequel I've ever played and while Halo 5 has its merits, it wasn't for me. I don't have much faith in 343 but I like everything shown of Infinite thus far. I'm interested but cautiously.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think a lot of Halo fandom puts the Bungie games on a pedestal. Bungie made some serious missteps too, with wild changes from game to game, trashing core concepts for completely new ones. The story was always skin deep and just kinda there to justify you going from place to place killing aliens. There's nothing wrong with that, but let's not make it into something it's not, eh?

As someone that likes the 343i games, I wish they'd have stopped with Reach like everyone else. Halo 3 really did finish the fight. The story was, for all intents and purposes, over. Everything that has come after has been unnecessary. We got a couple fun side stories with Reach (kinda nonsensical) and ODST. A great rts spin off. They should have stopped there and tried something different. The franchise was in a serious state of fatigue by the time 343 got involved and I can't blame them for that.

I think the franchise fatigue argument is overblown in the case of Halo. I'm a little more sympathetic to it in the case of Gears of War (I enjoyed Gears 5, but I think they should take several years to fundamentally reinvent the franchise after the current story arc is concluded. The Gears aesthetic/presentation is very much a product of the mid 00s.).

I would've said God of War was a fatigued franchise that needed a long break prior to 2018. I would have said DOOM was a relic of the past that should be revered, but also largely left there, prior to 2016.

Halo hasn't had that game yet - the game that gives it a new path forward. It's not like the post-Bungie games have been beloved by fans but failed to find a mass audience or something. Diehard Halo fans largely hate Halo 5 (in particular the campaign), and reaction to Halo 4 was more mixed.

The "fatigue" argument always strikes me as too neat and unimaginative. A franchise is "fatigued", right up until they make a really great game, and suddenly it isn't any more. And that's what it comes down to, for me: 343 Industries just need to make a really terrific game, that can't be denied.

If they do that, and people don't care? Then I'll give more consideration to the idea of "franchise fatigue".

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Their 'silence' (really laughing at this one, every dev making next gen games have been silent) is directly related to when Microsoft wants to showcase all of the upcoming XSX games. They won't show anything a minute sooner and it's the same for Sony and Nintendo.