• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I remember from the cartoons and the movie was the Mario Bros. were plumbers from Brooklyn and they got sucked into the Mushroom Kingdom, but Yoshi's Island seems to ignore that and have them be born in the Mushroom Kingdom. I know it's Mario and canon doesn't mean anything, but it's something that makes me wonder.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
Yeah I don't think this was ever canon. I think the localizers just used it to explain Donkey Kong/Mario Bros. -> Super Mario Bros.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm pretty sure New Donk City is a definitive retcon to whatever "Italian" origins Mario has. I mean, not really a clear one because of how weird "New Donkers" are compared to Mario, but it's something.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure New Donk City is a definitive retcon to whatever "Italian" origins Mario has. I mean, not really a clear one because of how weird "New Donkers" are compared to Mario, but it's something.
Yeah, pretty sure Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong now take place in New Donk.

How do we explain the differences between Mario and the New Donkers? Well, Mario was born in the Mushroom Kingdom (as seen during Yoshi's Island ending), then he went to New Donk to work as a carpenter and a plumber. One day DK kidnapped Pauline, and Mario chased DK around the world, ultimately ending up in the Mushroom Kingdom again (as seen in DK 94 for the GameBoy).

hqdefault.jpg

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
A great lore scholar once said: Yo yo, it's the mario brothers, plumbings their game, found a secret warp zone while working on a drain

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Grew up watching the cartoon and that horrible movie.
To me, the Mario Bros are from Brooklyn.

Oct 27, 2017
That's not even the worst retcon regarding Brooklyn. It will blow your mind when you realize that Kotter, who was purportedly welcomed back, never actually left.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Back in the NES and SNES/Genesis days, a lot of stuff would be made up by the English language manual writers. It wasn't until the 3D systems launched that game companies started making a concerted effort to keep their canon consistent internationally.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Deep Mario lore is a complex web that has been woven over time through advanced minds and passionate fans.
Refer to the ancient tomes!

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Mario isn't from NDC though. He was always from yoshi's island.

Well, most of Mario's Italian origins go back to Donkey Kong and Mario Bros., which clearly have been retconned to be New Donk City. Maybe he didn't grow up there but it's clear he spent time there in the past. Maybe Mario's "parents" are New Donkers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Well, most of Mario's Italian origins go back to Donkey Kong and Mario Bros., which clearly have been retconned to be New Donk City. Maybe he didn't grow up there but it's clear he spent time there in the past. Maybe Mario's "parents" are New Donkers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Based on the eyes, seems doubtful the parents are from ndc. Maybe matpat was right in some ways at least and rosalina is the parent or just created mario and luigi.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Mario and Luigi fought bravely during the Great Ape War against the Kongs, but since their side lost the war they had to flee and hide under assumed names in New Donk City. I mean, c'mon, Mario Mario? That's a fake ass name.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Back in the NES and SNES/Genesis days, a lot of stuff would be made up by the English language manual writers. It wasn't until the 3D systems launched that game companies started making a concerted effort to keep their canon consistent internationally.
Yeah, I think it's pretty much this. Pre-mid 90s, it's mostly made-up throwaway lore that hardly matters presently as it became more controlled.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Mario and Luigi fought bravely during the Great Ape War against the Kongs, but since their side lost the war they had to flee and hide under assumed names in New Donk City. I mean, c'mon, Mario Mario? That's a fake ass name.
After months of dirty dealings in the alleys of New Donk, the bros earned enough coinage to pay a group of mercenaries called "The Snowmads" to drive the Kongs out of DK isle, didn't take though.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
They had a game of Mario as a baby in the Mushroom Kingdom 25 years ago and you still take the cartoon as the gospel?

Yoshi%27s_Island_%28Super_Mario_World_2%29_box_art.jpg

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
After months of dirty dealings in the alleys of New Donk, the bros earned enough coinage to pay a group of mercenaries called "The Snowmads" to drive the Kongs out of DK isle, didn't take though.
Of course, DK came to find them and kidnapped Pauline in revenge. After the events of DK94 (the true telling of the original arcade game), the Mario Bros were heroes and became extremely successful tradesman. They opened their own construction company. Then one of their plumbers found a weird set of pipes where a bunch of weird monsters appeared, and the events of Mario Bros happens. Then they go down one of the pipes and find the Mushroom Kingdom.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, DK came to find them and kidnapped Pauline in revenge. After the events of DK94 (the true telling of the original arcade game), the Mario Bros were heroes and became extremely successful tradesman. They opened their own construction company. Then one of their plumbers found a weird set of pipes where a bunch of weird monsters appeared, and the events of Mario Bros happens. Then they go down one of the pipes and find the Mushroom Kingdom.
Yep, this all checks out.
It wraps up the war saga with the mushroom kingdom opening trade with DK isle allowing them to put the past behind them all, and go karting together.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
charles martinet says it every chance he gets

also it's simple really...
Mario and luigi are born and the stork drops them on yoshi's island by accident.
Yoshi's island is a collection of islands in the mushroom kingdom.the Yoshi's deliver the mario bros to their parents (who are Italian immigrants from Brooklyn and had moved to mushroom kingdom due to rising housing costs and in search of their babies.) They move back to Brooklyn sometime in the mid 80's ... and work as plumbers (having grown up around pipes their early life) ...while working on a drain they find a secret warp pipe that leads them back to the mushroom kingdom where they discover the place taken over by King Koopa and these unlikely heroes step in to save the day.The rest is history.

Last edited:

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, this all checks out.
It wraps up the war saga with the mushroom kingdom opening trade with DK isle allowing them to put the past behind them all, and go karting together.
Little known fact: Project H.A.M.M.E.R. for Wii? That was gonna be the missing piece of lore where you played as the Mario Bro's during the Great Ape War. Nintendo thought it was too violent and cancelled it.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Odyssey is interesting because it confirms that the Mushroom Kingdom is part of a Mario-ized version of the "real world", so maybe New Donk City has its own Brooklyn and that's where Mario was born?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Mario Odyssey is interesting because it confirms that the Mushroom Kingdom is part of a Mario-ized version of the "real world", so maybe New Donk City has its own Brooklyn and that's where Mario was born?
Original concept arts show that New Donk City was originally full of people that have the same proportions as Mario.
And despite the humans in New Donk looking nothing like Mario, Miyamoto said they're the same species as Mario.
So yeah, probably.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen their house. Luigi keeps a journal in the basement, it's weird. it's off in the woods somewhere.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I wouldn't like it if it was canon. Why would Mario be american anyway it just seems like one of those nonsensical localization changes from back when onigiris were called jelly donuts in pokemon.