• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Stop watching the bad TV versions of the new Z movies, and just watch the Super: Broly movie again.

It's still a lot of punch rushes, beam spam, beam struggles and so on. It's not like DBS Super has a nuanced thought out power system like HxH to provide more interesting battles.
HxH is good because of the character interactions and themes and story, but half of it's power system is the narrator expositing on screen, and not allowing the viewer to breath or think about what's actually occurring. Having a creative battle system is fun and all, but not at the expense of letting the viewer actually watch it as a show. It's kind of why I've preferred Yu Yu Hakusho over it.

Last edited:

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
FT is awful. You're better off watching Rave Master.

100% agreed. Rave Master is much better than most of the early 2000's shounen and was for a long time on a similar level as One Piece (but then One Piece continued and continued to be better and better while Rave was over)

Hower I'll give Fairy Tail, as much as I hate it, one thing:

The fights were pretty darn good.

And considering fights is what this thread is about, many of the responses here are confusing. Fights is pretty much the one thing Fairy Tail didn't fall flat on its face with.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just rolled by to say Fairy Tail is trash (even by my low standards).

The fights were pretty darn good.

I'll have to go back and watch again because I remember being consistently disappointed by fights in Fairy Tail until the Natsu vs. Twin Dragons. They always felt like they were building up to something amazing but never hitting the target.

The music was really nice though. Yeah, the music was dope.

Last edited:

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
High-end anime like Fairy Tail and One Piece????
Of all shonen, why those? One Piece has awful pacing and terrible animation most of the time, and Fairy Tail also has not great animation.
Honestly I haven't seen DBS but at least it doesn't look like a slideshow.

Oct 25, 2017
Super is just bad. Most of dragonball is bad. Even back when it was good a lot of it was bad. So many shows have put it to shame for decades.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I haven't seen DBS but at least it doesn't look like a slideshow.
I mean....a lot of it does.
I'll have to go back and watch again because I remember being consistently disappointed by fights in Fairy Tail until the Natsu vs. Twin Dragons. They always felt like they were building up to something amazing but never hitting the target.

The music was really nice though. Yeah, the music was dope.

The fights are good. The OUTCOMES are crap.

It's just a lot of sound and thunder, signifying nothing.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
A true dragon ball fan will just watch it until the end rather than ranting or finding whatever 'flaws' and stuff not liked and you're still in the movie adaptations.
Let it go, watch something else.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Quality talk aside, i agree that it's hard to watch beam attack versus beam attack stuff after getting used to a swordsman using a thing that makes him attack with six arms against a giraffe dude.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
I think Dragon Ball has declined a lot in quality over the series and Super is the worst. The nostalgia is carrying a lot there, but I barely enjoy any of the fights.

Some of it is also other shonen shows doing things better, but I do think Dragon Ball also has done some things really well, especially in the past.

I think it has a very fun and charming setting and I imagine I would still greatly enjoy watching the original series where power levels were of no concern.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
a08858559a35f5b55b7c680ee339d9de.gif

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Surprise surprise: Super has always been a mediocre snoozefest. DBZ already suffered from that, but at least the villains made up for it.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Super is a bad show, period. There's no excuse for the highest grossing anime series to have blunders as big as the first half of Super where literally every scene looks like shit.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Super is a bad show, period. There's no excuse for the highest grossing anime series to have blunders as big as the first half of Super where literally every scene looks like shit.
For real, all that money the series made and still makes, and the show looks worse then your average youtube one person animatio project

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I will not stand for Fairy Tail slander, right Lotus and Mandos ?
I love fairy tail, but even i can't call it high end anime, its dumb fun (so far, up to the grand magic games). It doesn't deserve the hate people in this thread are giving it, there are way worse Anime. (got my own hot takes)
It deserves slander after the event that was the third generation dragon slayers.
Literally watched the Natsu Gajeel vs Sting Rogue fight Monday, it wasn't awful, unless theres more shite to come. Why do we need 'generations' of dragon slayers taught, lacrima, taught+Lacrima who cares?

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I might be just too Latino or something but nothing got me as invested as the last arc in DB Super. It was just so good.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Stop watching the bad TV versions of the new Z movies, and just watch the Super: Broly movie again.

HxH is good because of the character interactions and themes and story, but half of it's power system is the narrator expositing on screen, and not allowing the viewer to breath or think about what's actually occurring. Having a creative battle system is fun and all, but not at the expense of letting the viewer actually watch it as a show. It's kind of why I've preferred Yu Yu Hakusho over it.

And I much prefer HxH's fights, verbosity and all, to the repetitive and uncreative flash of DBS.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing there's the option to just watch the (3?) movies instead of sitting through 90+ episodes of shitty anime. I should get around to watching them some day.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Good thing there's the option to just watch the (3?) movies instead of sitting through 90+ episodes of shitty anime. I should get around to watching them some day.
The first two movies cover episodes 1-27. Then the third movie is a sequel to the show. Most of the show doesn't actually have movie versions.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019

Is this the first or second time he achieves it? It'd be more hyped if they didn't drag their asses with Goku achieving it, only for it to fall off and we have to wait xx number of episodes for him to build up his stamina to do it again.

Literally watched the Natsu Gajeel vs Sting Rogue fight Monday, it wasn't awful, unless theres more shite to come. Why do we need 'generations' of dragon slayers taught, lacrima, taught+Lacrima who cares?

Don't worry, after the Grand Magic Games, the concept of "generations" is dropped and is never brought up again.

Nov 17, 2017
Dragon Ball fights have always been bad. And they've all been reskins of each other even before Super.

giphy.gif
3d6447d04f8d30d99c06467974500b05.gif
giphy.gif

Why does almost every fight in Dragon Ball Z/Super have a point or multiple points where they just give up on fight choreography and flail at each other?

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first or second time he achieves it? It'd be more hyped if they didn't drag their asses with Goku achieving it, only for it to fall off and we have to wait xx number of episodes for him to build up his stamina to do it again.

Don't worry, after the Grand Magic Games, the concept of "generations" is dropped and is never brought up again.
first

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I liked some arcs of Fairy Tail a lot. Pretty much everything after the first couple of arcs was very enjoyable up until the last one, which was a significant dip in quality.

I got you on this one Slayven - don't listen to the haters (they sabotaged my LttP Fairy Tail thread to endlessly shit on it with no discussion)

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I love fairy tail, but even i can't call it high end anime, its dumb fun (so far, up to the grand magic games). It doesn't deserve the hate people in this thread are giving it, there are way worse Anime. (got my own hot takes)

There is in fact more to come sadly lol. But yea really don't see why we needed generations. Should have been like a previous user said and split into different categories instead.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Why does almost every fight in Dragon Ball Z/Super have a point or multiple points where they just give up on fight choreography and flail at each other?
because it saves time and money to just cycle a few frames over and over, rather than do unique animation for every punch and kick

see also: "they're moving so fast they're impossible to see!"

Nov 17, 2017
because it saves time and money to just cycle a few frames over and over, rather than do unique animation for every punch and kick

see also: "they're moving so fast they're impossible to see!"
Yeah, I know why they do it but it's still lame. Especially cause they seem to throw it in even during the big budget fights so it feels like just a lame stylistic choice. Sometimes you really see the repeated frames and the individual attacks and it looks even worse.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Fairy Tail is awful and it's filler arcs are far worse then the worst Super arc.
There's only 3 tho? And of them one is semi canon and solid and I enjoyed the other one because it gave some nice additional consequences to the previous arc while giving the C/D team a chance to participate. The first one that was the original anime ending I get tho