• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Yes, to a large degree, and I'm fine with that. Gaming is just something I do every now and then for a few minutes at a time, as there are many other things I'd like to be doing.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
No, I turned 36 last friday, and I can honestly say that I still greatly enjoy gaming.

Now some of it has changed. I no longer have the time for long sessions, so I pretty much quit all PC gaming, MMORPG and FPS that I used to play.

but now I can game with my kiddos (which is fun).

I always enjoyed a good story-driven title, so moving to less time just means that I take longer to complete those. The Switch (and before that the Vita) is nice in that I can find time for random bits of gaming that I may not be able to shark the whole TV for.

EDIT: I have never been a "gotta COMPLETE This game" person. So my MO was always, go through the story and beat the game. Any means possible. Which has turned out to help since time is a premium now.

Nov 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC
38 and not really. Still just as excited and happy to play whatever I can.

I'm not as wowed by things anymore, and it's rare where something gets a "holy shit" response (like Half-Life: Alyx), but I still love video games as much as when I first started playing them 33 years ago.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I can see why others might but definitely not on my end. I didn't play a lot of games as a kid since we didn't have enough money for more than maybe 1 new (old) game a year for a birthday. But now that I'm an adult I can afford this shit. Instead of pining for all these amazing games, now I can buy them. That makes me even more enthused and passionate for games than even when I was young.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I'm 35 and have been more into gaming than ever since being in my 30s. If anything I made way less time for gaming when I was in high school/college since I was also working at the time. I have much more free time and disposable income now... helps that I'm in a stable relationship, don't party much anymore, and don't have kids.

This is exactly me but 1 year older.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and no.

The older I get has caused me to have far less patience for pointless crap in games. After this weekend, I just can't do the Yakuza series. In the first two hours, I spent 80% of my time watching cutscenes, holding down RT, and doing little in the game. I can't play games like Persona, MGS, or a lot of other JRPGs.

But I still can get addicted and have a blast with a game. Titles like Rocket League, Fall Guys, and Titanfall 2 hang with the best for MP experiences, while Dragon's Dogma, Infinite Warfare, and Star Wars Fallen Order were great SP romps of varying lengths I played over the last year. I feel happiest with gaming when I'm focused on one at a time.

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I certainly have less time now (early 40s) but I find that I appreciate gaming about the same as I always have. I have a lot of nostalgia for the games I played in my teens and early 20s and seem to prefer them over a lot of current releases (this is likely more about me than the games). There hasn't been a lot of games in the last 5 years that I imagine I'll be going back to where as the games from around 20 years ago I still play today. The big exception here is Witcher 3 which I'm currently in the middle of my first play though and will definitely be returning to in the future.

VR is great and feels futuristic. It excites me more than anything else right now. I feel like the hardware, while it still has a long way to go, already offers an amazing experience. Once the software support starts showing up more it will really be in a good place and I will have a minor crisis trying to find the time to play everything I want.

edit - I will add one age related change I have noticed is my stamina. I used to be able to sit at my computer desk for hours on end, like 8 hours and on some days much more with only short breaks. Now at days it's 2 - 3 hours per session tops.

edit 2 - I imagine my response to this question will be the same same when I'm 80 years old. I feel the same about TV/movies. It's true you can start to feel like you've seen it all before and no ideas feel fresh but I'm betting this will ultimately be countered by my ever deteriorating memory :D

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
In many ways I like it more. There's a lot of greatest games ever released in the last decade or so. What did change, is that I can't play for very long sessions even when I have time. If it's multiplayer I can play for a good while, but otherwise it's like I accomplish one task then take a break.

Almyn

Oct 26, 2017
N-Ireland
I'm 38. I still love video games, But my tastes have changed drastically in the last 5 years. I find myself entirely uninterested in the AAA releases and far more interested in indie or smaller titles on Switch or Mobile, Or replaying my favourites from the 16bit days. I sold my ps4 about 3 years ago and my xbox one has been pretty much untouched for about 6 months. The last full release I played on it was Nier Automata. At the moment I have no real desire to own either of the next gen consoles. My Switch is played every day though, I have a backlog of indie games to play through. A Switch pro sounds nice but as I mostly play portable there may not be much of a reason to upgrade right away.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly. For PvP, which is all I ever dedicated my gaming time towards since XBL was a thing. Now I just play mostly single player games when time allows it. And if I do play online it's only a couple matches before I'm straight up done. Maybe I just need a new PvP game that'll click. We'll see with Halo Infinite.

Oct 31, 2017
At 34, I'm more interested than 10 years ago at 24, though I did feel I was losing interest then because of directions I thought the industry was taking for the worse. But also, if you've been playing for a while by your 20s and you've been buying your own games for a decent amount of time at that point, then you're probably in more of a situation where you're encountering fewer newer experiences as you experience more. It's natural, but it's not like being single digits or a teen when any new game you play might be a new genre for you.

I have more respect for what developers do and appreciation for working on something for so long and sometimes having to wait an extra 6 - 12 months before people can finally see their work (and maybe appreciate it). I have more hobbies, so time it spent on plenty of things, but it's still a lovely and great hobby.

Plus, I can do it with the better half. ;)

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Im in my mid 30s. I got more into gaming around college, so probably later than average, and have never loved spending too long on a single game, or games that don't respect my time. I think I've gotten pretty good at filtering out games that I don't enjoy and I don't fall in love with or plan to buy as many games as many seem to here, based on the "X month is insane for releases/RIP my wallet" threads.

So since I have less time to play than ever, I prefer to spend my time on more focused games. Less bloat, empty exploration, repetitive dialog, more learning the game, strategies, and interesting ideas. I don't think I was able to play PS5 all weekend but got a little time with the Switch Lite because it opens up more opportunities for me to play without taking over the TV from my wife and daughter.

Last edited:

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Thanks to FromSoftware (and others), not really. But I have less interest in some games that, perhaps, I would have played a few years ago.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm the exact opposite. I fell off gaming completely during my high school and university days because I had a very active social life and no room (or money) for video games in that stage of my life. I basically went the entire PS1/PS2 era not playing video games (other than occasional multiplayer games at friends' places). But as I got older and got a job (ie. money), and honestly wasn't' going out and partying every night anymore like I did when I was a kid, I was able to spend more time and money on video games. As a 38 year old I enjoy and play way more video games now than I did in my teenage years/early 20's.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Absolutely. I find that I get less and less excited by new hardware. I was planning on waiting a few years on PS5 and XBSX, but nothing out or announced has excited me yet. At this point, I may skip both.

Even Nintendo. I have no interest in an upgraded switch.....of course, I've yet to see what games will come out with it and if the upgrade is needed for said games.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of, but also no.

I still play games like Street Fighter 2 / 3 online with the active community when I get a chance and I've gotten into GGXXAC+R within the last year. While I don't have as much time to grind those games out, I am also much less emotionally invested in "getting good" and, frankly, somehow it's made me a better player.

I also play RPGs on my free time, but I've basically given up on TV as a whole to support gaming hours as a wind-down activity.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, for me as well. Can't even imagine myself to play Zelda BotW (even though I bought it...) as I would need to focus too much as well as invest too much time to think about what to do next. I need more linear games, stuff like Paper Mario really have been enjoyable lately. I love it.

Jan 11, 2018
Nope, just as strong as ever. It might be different if I had any interest in starting a family, but currently I don't. I'd rather just play video games and make music/play shows with my band.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I woud say my relationship with gaming has changed. It did lose is luster at one point. But now it has a whole new different luster.

When I was a child - It was a treat. I only got new games at Christmas. It was a part of my entertainment.
When I was a teen - I was obsessed. I played all the JRPGs. Gaming was my thing.
In College - I disconnected, only played the odd final fantasy or other RPG.
Single Me - Played Online, had gaming friends. Gaming was awesome.
Depressed times - All I did was played games. They were never satisfying. I played too much.
Surgery/New Job/New Relationship Older Me - Mostly just plays on weekends. Only a few games a year. Now gaming is an event again and not my normal and it's great.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Age has turned me into a bit of a snob with games. I like what I like. I like RPGs and and action/RPGs mainly. You have to do a lot of convincing to get me to play anything else.

Was it last month that PS had Just Cause 4 for free? I gave it a run for about 40 minutes one night and noped out. It's an OK game, but I don't have time for just OK anymore.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Nope. I'm in my 40s and gaming more and enjoying it more than ever.

squall211

Jan 24, 2018
I don't enjoy games any less than I used to, but I don't find myself getting "DAY 1 HYPE!" over many games anymore. With a few exceptions, I'm more than willing to wait for a sale on a game I want.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
My tastes changed, i am less open to bullshit (both gameplaywise and monetary practices) and being 90hs to beat is now a negative point, not a positive

but i would not say it lost it's appeal
That where I'm at. Hasn't lost its appeal but I just can't deal with padding and time wasters.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
30 here and my love of gaming has only intensified. There isn't a genre I am unwilling to try. I am constantly blown away at the diversity, quality and sheer quantity of games available.

My other hobbies do not get in the way of games nor do games get in the way of them.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I just dont like games that take 90hs to beat. I like smaller concise games thay delivers what was intended and than ends.

This is why I like most of Nintendo and Sony games so much: they deliver what it was planned in the most spectacular way and that's it.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I´m about to hit 40 y/o and while my gaming taste has changed (in the 90s i was deeply into fighting games, i dont care about them now) i enjoy it probably more than ever. Games got "easier" to get into and to actually beat them. Maybe the downside is that theres too much shit to play and not enough time/money, heh.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Im in my 40s and still play a lot of games but I'd be lying if I said that I'm still as hyped for gaming as I was in my late 20s and early 30s.

But I don't think it's specifically an age thing.

I think I could recapture that feeling I had back then, because it's already happened to me before.

While I never stopped gaming, during most of my 20s It dropped way down the list of my priorities. It became a far more occasional pastime for me. More Guitar Hero after drinks than finishing JRPGs, like it had been for me in the past.

Then I played a couple of games in my late 20s/early 30s that hit me so hard that I caught the bug again.

So it it happened once I assume it can happen again.

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't say lost its luster but it's definitely more difficult to really get immersed in a game like I was able to before. Life being busier and more stressful in general is a big reason for that I think.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Life in general did.
I mean you are just less excitable after experiencing things for a long time.

Still enjoy it a lot though

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Not at all. In fact my partner and I are probably playing more games on our off time than ever before. Granted, we recently passed the two week mark for our vaccines so we've been finding ourselves frolicking around open fields and licking public surfaces, but when we settle down again we'll be grinding whatever story-centric RPG/action-adventure title we can get our hands on.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
No but I have less time for bloat and difficulty. I want shorter, more meaningful experiences without filler and annoyingly high levels of challenge.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm 33 and at peak enthusiasm right now. The transition from PS3/X360 to PS4/XB1 was probably my biggest gaming lull. I could've sat out 2014 entirely and not missed a thing for my tastes, personally. My sophomore year of college was probably my 2nd lowest point but only because I was making a conscious effort to rebalance my life — I went into college addicted to WoW and had the worst academic year of my life my Freshman year, and took a break from gaming for a year and a half to try and do better (and fortunately, I succeeded!).

I work full time now and make reasonably good pay for my cost of living, and my job has the perk of allowing me to play games during downtime as long as they don't prevent me from working when work surfaces. I play my Switch and gaming laptop during downtime at work, which gives me a good chunk of extra time for gaming.

Matzpxl

Jun 4, 2019
Brasília, Brazil
Kinda?

I'm turning 27 this year and a lot has changed since 2020. I lost my mother last year, had to move to a new place and accept two new part time jobs and freelance works. Lot of bills to pay, less money to spend on videogames. And I'm feeling tired all the fucking time.

Occasionally I'm playing some online stuff alone or with some friends and still want a PS5. But... yeah... Dunno. This hits hard.

Finished the first Dead Space this weekend and started the second one, though. Pretty good games.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's harder to completely wow me with anything in life but that's not specific to gaming at all. I still love and play this medium every day. If anything, my complaint is that I wish I could keep up even more with all the quantity of games.

Gaming message boards on the other hand, they don't have as much good discussion on gaming history and its evolution as they did 15-20 years ago. I'm sure there are various factors for that but I don't think it has to do much with me aging as I was old enough back then.

Rsinart

Oct 27, 2017
I would say yes. I just turned 40 recently, have more access to games then I ever have and I find myself turning on my ps5 just to sit there for a few mins and then turn it off. I am not sure if I am just not interested in whats out there, if its the lack of new games, or if I am just getting bored. I still love games, but haven't been able to sit down and play anything since The Last of Us 2. I honestly feel like back in the day I had maybe 1-2 games I could play at a time. Now between all the free games on pc, gamepass, and ps+ I have probably 200+ games I could play and I find myself unsure of what to play.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I love gaming as much as ever and I'm in my 40s. What's changed for me over the years is that I don't have nearly as much time to play. And I know what I like which is the most important thing. I never buy "bad" games anymore. I know how much time I have and what I like and dislike. I don't try to like things I know deep down I won't like. I used to do that alot back when I was younger. Buy games my friends got because of hype or whatever.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Nope
Complete opposite
As I have less free time, it just reinforces how much I enjoy playing video games in that free time

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
I still love games but I'm frustrated by how much games focus on expecting all my time with how big they've become. Trim the fat, most people don't finish the games anyways. I'm playing rdr2 and while I like it I feel like I'm just being strung along towards the end

Totally agree.

My love of gaming will probably never wane given how much time I've spent playing and continue to play but man do I wish more games just offered a nice, focused 10-15 hour campaign. That's all I need.

I still love the idea of deep diving into a new time-sink RPG from time to time but I'd prefer to keep those to only a couple a year max.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
If anything my passion for video games has grown with age. I'm 32 now and still love it as much as I did when I was a kid, it's been especially helpful the last year when I've had to shield and couldn't really go out anywhere. Everything in moderation of course but a lot of my free time I still want to spend playing games.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
My tastes changed, i am less open to bullshit (both gameplaywise and monetary practices) and being 90hs to beat is now a negative point, not a positive

but i would not say it lost it's appeal

All of this. Except, I'm probably an easy mark for some bullshit practices b/c I have WAY more disposable income and less time the older I get (mid-30s now), so I'm more inclined to dump a bit of extra cash to save time. Like, that $4 unlock DLC for RE2make was made for me. Lmao. Similarly, I've definitely bought at least a few level boosts for WoW to be able to get to the stage of the game (i.e. level-capped/endgame) where I can have more fun with friends in the limited gaming time I have.

All in all, I'm more in love with games than ever. It's still my favourite way to spend my leisure time, bar none.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, however I really miss my ability as a kid to get completely immersed in fiction, be it movies or games. Now the game really has to have incredible atmosphere, and I need to get in the right headspace to be able to get immersed in its world.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much the same as back then, except I'm more difficult to impress and less prone to fall for X doubtful microtransaction bullshit.

VeuillezPLP

Oct 28, 2017
France
No I just play way different games than before now that I'm 40+.

I'd now rather play shorter games than big open worlds games.

I still love playing on PC or Switch and I'll gladly spend 100+ hours on an Octopath Traveler sequel :D

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
It varies. The least I played when I was in my party phase (18=24). Right now I'm in a golden age, playing my PS5 on my 65CX and 7.1 home theater system is the best it's ever been.