• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Epic kinda ruined its reputation already back then when they called every PC gamer a dirty stealing pirate and abandoned the PC market a while ago.

Maybe they should try to bring something positive to PC gaming for their "comeback" instead of trying to make the PC market worse again.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
That is the only reason anybody ever gives for using the store.

Does anybody actually by new games at the full price on EGS?

Seriously I just checked the top seller list in the UK and Assassin's Creed Odyssey outselling every new release on the EGS with the exception of Obulets.

(It might be that the top seller list is manually updated and nobody updated it in over a month, but either way not a good look for the store)

Agreed. Although I don't care. I am just building up a library of games for when I build a gaming PC. I am not the sort of PC gamer that is buying new releases. Everything I bought on steam/GoG are classic PC games from the late 90s and early 00s which I played in my teens/college years. I bought Disco Elysium on EGS since I had a coupon but the game runs rather poorly in my Surface.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I already got an account for a free game a month or so ago, so at this point I'll keep taking the free games, but the way they've gone about the Apple lawsuit has convinced me not to purchase anything from them. I didn't really understand the hate some had for the store. I am not a big PC gamer and I've had issues with Steam and clearly don't enjoy using it as much as others on here, so I welcomed some competition. Exclusives exist in every other part of the gaming market so them buying up games didn't really bother me. But every step of how they've handled this Apple suit and how they keep portraying themselves as victims while making merchandise and ad campaigns...I get it now. Fuck Epic.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Not at all. I get so many high-quality free games from EGS and I care so little about Fortnite that short of them making me play the Fortnite in order to keep my games, just about nothing they can do could bother me.

drock5k

Aug 3, 2018
I'll take the free games but don't know that I'll ever buy a game over there instead of Steam/GOG.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I couldnt give a shit what it does with Fortnite, I just have it for the free games

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. I can sympathize with some of the grievances people have with Epic, but they're not mine, and not exactly the kind that provoke my moral ire.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not trying to get anyone riled up. I dont want to be called a troll. egs does deserve criticism but i could be talking about something tangentially related to egs and all of a sudden "grrrr I'll NEVER spend me monies there their interface SUCKS and EPIC are evil assholes" will come into play and its just like okay I understand that's how you feel, but are you going to discuss these gamer initiatives they've been doin-- "NO and stop forcing EGS down my throat etc." I'm just alarmed by how aggressive it can get from just an associated conversation.
Consider that people are fed up with two years of mod-sanctioned trolling/gaslighting which got bad enough here that a significant portion of PC-gaming Era were driven away from this site for good.
Anyone left does not give a fuck about "well intentioned" people trying to pretend that Epic are your friends/on your side/a force for good about anything—especially when they are in the middle of a campaign trying to weaponize children in their fight against Apple, and outright lying about being forced off the App Store when it is their choice.
At least some people here have started to accept what Tim Sweeney is actually like now, after his recent actions, but you were wilfully ignorant not to have noticed it sooner—it was obvious from the start.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm not trying to get anyone riled up. I dont want to be called a troll. egs does deserve criticism but i could be talking about something tangentially related to egs and all of a sudden "grrrr I'll NEVER spend me monies there their interface SUCKS and EPIC are evil assholes" will come into play and its just like okay I understand that's how you feel, but are you going to discuss these gamer initiatives they've been doin-- "NO and stop forcing EGS down my throat etc." I'm just alarmed by how aggressive it can get from just an associated conversation.
I completely agree and it's getting sort of exhausting. I'm also sure 80% of people who go off about in in literally every tangentially related thread are taking all free egs games they can get without hesitation lol.
Only partially sarcastic, but it's getting impossible to realistically talk about without being immediately classified as the guy who doesn't care about human rights or whatever.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Nah, doesn't worry me at all. If Epic want to play legal chicken with Apple or Google or anyone else, that's their business.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
I like free games i never got anything from steam yet. I have started buying games from EPIC store now. Also some deals are much better than other stores. Epic plus gamepass combo is working for me on PC.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't interest before so not really changed my feelings on the EGS specifically, but definitely the final nail for Fortnite for me, though I've barely played it since like Chapter 1 season 7 or 8 I think (the Pirate one),but I did enjoy the events, which I'll be avoiding now. The hashtag like genuinely annoys me and them acting like the poor underdog fighting the man with everything going on in the world really annoys me.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't care what they do really unless it's something really bad. 2 giant companies fighting doesn't bother me. Them keeping games for a year doesn't bother me either because I usually wait that long for games to go on sale anyways.

So in the end I enjoy the free games and get to play fortnite with my brother.

naitosan

Oct 28, 2017
Nope. I love me free games. But if I want to buy anything from EGS, probably not unless it's dirty cheap.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've only ever actually paid for a single game in the EGS (Tetris Effect, for the VR), but I have almost all their free games, so... meh?

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I have lots of free games, and many games that I bought for great prices on the EGS. I dont care if its Epic, Steam or whomever I just love cheap prices. People who hate Epic are on their right to do it, but I dont care tbh.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't care less. EGS had the games I want plus some free games, so I used it. Doesn't inconvenience me, although yes it's not as polished as Steam.

Aug 27, 2019
Eh, while the free games are cool, I prefer having one area with all my stuff instead of multiple spread out ones. Epic and Apple having a publicity skermish doesn't change my opinion that I just don't care that much.

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually coming around to the platform honestly, I bought a bunch of games during the last sale and was starting to appreciate my collection on there. Ultimately if creators get a bigger cut of their work in general in the future I think it's a good thing, but yeah, it's clear their intentions are largely self-interested. I can't stand Epic's tactics, and they've lost me ever wanting to spend money on their platform or games again. I'll still collect the free games, but I'm not giving them money.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Free games are free games, if there's an EGS exclusive game I want to play I'll play there, if not I have other games to play. I...have no opinion about EGS really, it's just a store.

Dec 9, 2019
The thing encouraged me to join EGS. I don't care about Fortnite, but I respect Epic's courage to fight Apple's suppressive tyranny, even if it is for the wrong reasons. It can't be, that Microsoft was once bashed by the congress, and forced to do a lot of things by the EU to become less anti-consumer, and Apple gets a green light to do whatever they want. Apple needs to be regulated, and as of now, no one has seriously tried to accomplish what Epic is up to.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I can still click play button on a game and play said game, so I feel no different.
I click play in Big Picture Mode and it locks me out:
epic-drm-3xkve.jpg

yooka-8tj1b.png

When it says "please sign into the Epic Games Store" it means launch directly via the EGS client which has no controller-based interface.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
That is the only reason anybody ever gives for using the store.

Does anybody actually by new games at the full price on EGS?

Seriously I just checked the top seller list in the UK and Assassin's Creed Odyssey outselling every new release on the EGS with the exception of Obulets.

(It might be that the top seller list is manually updated and nobody updated it in over a month, but either way not a good look for the store)
The Top Sellers list hasnt been updated in 5 weeks (or at least it hasnt changed at all since Ooblets launch). It previously hadnt changed for 4 weeks before.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
No.

I don't play Fortnite, but I'm not concerned what two multi-billion dollar companies are arguing about. I also don't have any issues using EGS for their free games either. Never understood the weird attachment people have to a storefront of all things.

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Being a shady data grabber, backdoor, and potential malware is what soured me on EGS. I don't give a flying fuck about Fortnite.
In regards to security concerns EGS and EA's Origin rootkit are fighting on equal footing for the "shittiest launcher malware" crown.

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
U wss already soured with the old stunts. This is par for the course with Epic.

But, hey, free games, am I right, Gamers? Who cares about ethics and shit?

Gamers gonna game.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I completely agree and it's getting sort of exhausting. I'm also sure 80% of people who go off about in in literally every tangentially related thread are taking all free egs games they can get without hesitation lol.
Only partially sarcastic, but it's getting impossible to realistically talk about without being immediately classified as the guy who doesn't care about human rights or whatever.

I would be interested in reading your realistic appraisal of EGS and the moves Epic has made regarding it.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Not touching EGS or anything they do. Don't care about the free games, they're not going to get me on their service with that.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Story of the thread is that majority don't care in slightest as long storefront keeps shoveling over free games into gamer backlogs, that they will never get to around playing as their backlogs are already massive.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
No, cause i already hated egs before the whole Apple thing, ever since egs came out, prices have just gone up, so i hope it dies soon