• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Has diversity changed my opinion of the gaming industry...?

I don't even know what that question means.

I don't think there's been some major influx of "forced" diversity in games. I don't think games that have diverse casts or characters are "forcing" it, and I also don't think there's some abundance of games with diverse casts and characters. Diversity has not changed my opinion of the gaming industry.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't really something I paid any attention to before or cared about one way or another. But at one point I read an interview with a black comic book writer which I found really interesting. Basically he said that the prospect of writing for comics was something that never even occured to him until he was explicitly exposed to another professional writer who happened to be black, which suddenly got the gears turning in his head thinking "hey, this is something I could be doing!"

That got me interested in the whole psychology surrounding this kind of stuff, and I think representation can be a pretty important and effective tool in planting the right seeds to grow all the untapped dormant talent out there in art, science, etc.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't really something I paid any attention to before or cared about one way or another. But at one point I read an interview with a black comic book writer which I found really interesting. Basically he said that the prospect of writing for comics was something that never even occured to him until he was explicitly exposed to another professional writer who happened to be black, which suddenly got the gears turning in his head thinking "hey, this is something I could be doing!"

That got me interested in the whole psychology surrounding this kind of stuff, and I think representation can be a pretty important and effective tool in planting the right seeds to grow all the untapped dormant talent out there in art, science, etc.
Shit is real. My cousin did a prison diversion program and most of his wards only saw themselves rapping or becoming athletes. Representation and diversity matters.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
When you say "the industry" I guess you are speaking about the video game industry exclusively?

If so I'm still not sure how to answer?
I think the fact that more different people are making games means we have more ideas creating. That can only be good.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I love the diversity in the Star Wars sequel trilogy. I think Lucasfilm still has a ways to go in terms of getting more people represented behind the camera, but they're definitely trying and making good strides. I also think the movies benefit greatly from it.

I'm in a number of Star Wars Facebook groups, and with Pride Week recently somebody made a topic in one of the more conservative groups about if we think we'll see more LGBTQ+ rep in Star Wars. Almost everyone said, "I hope so. It's the natural progression." I was actually pretty shocked by the group's reaction and support, and there was actually some good discussion about how they shouldn't do it like JK Rowling does it but still, more representation is always better than no representation. Lots of people talked about how they would've been against it before but now they're coming around, or how they realize the checklist argument is stupid, etc. It's purely anecdotal, but it's a positive one that kinda floored me. In a good way, of course.

The Nameless King

Alt Account
May 18, 2019
As someone has mentioned the newest Start wars movies, diversity hasn't helped since the writing has been so awful save for Rogue One.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the writing isn't compelling, why bother? It's just weak virtue signaling.
This is silly. My kids enjoy the new trilogy and are far too young to throw manbaby tantrums about the franchise. They enjoy it just fine and see themselves reflected on screen. Populations should be reflected whether the product is quality or not.

Earth itself is more non-White than white, you just expect other galaxies to be filled to the brim with White humans lol?

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
No, my position has not changed.

I've always wanted more diversity in The Industry. From my time working in my industry to just absorbing various types of media.

My sentiments have only grown after I became a parent and struggle to expose my child to diversity.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I don't understand how some are bothered by others existing.

Imagine only seeing one race of human everywhere you go, media and in the workplace and thinking it's okay.....

Then as soon as one other person shows up, "that's the limit" or "it's forced"

What a shit world view

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Any data proving that the optimal diversity levels in The Industry have been reached? Pretty sure leveling the playing field for all and stopping discrimination are never-ending goals.