• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Has Dexit actually affected your choice in purchasing Sword and Shield?

• Yes, I am no longer purchasing Sword or Shield due to Dexit.

Votes: 430 18.2%
  • No, I still plan to buy Sword or Shield

Votes: 1,507 63.9%
  • I never planned to buy Sword or Shield.

Votes: 423 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't care because I still think there are so many choices in choosing Pokemon and even if your fave isn't there then just use that as an opportunity to try a different Pokemon. It's like a new fighting game has a new roster.

I don't see the value in catching like over 800 Pokemon. Most will be chucked into a PC and never used for a fight.

Oct 26, 2017
For me, Dexit really just compounds the reason as to why I don't buy Pokemon games anymore. My bigger issue is the fact that GF thinks the series is ONLY for children, despite Pokemon Go, Masters, etc. showing that there is huge interest in the series from young adults, and even parents.

It's shambolic that we treat region design as almost being in a straight line because of some misguided concern about people not playing the games as often (has Game Freak seen their sales + internet interest?), and equally shambolic that story in a Pokemon game has consistently regressed after Gen V, when the expectation is that it should have been better.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lets be real, the 3ds was not in the same situation DLC support wise to even support that as a possibility. The switch is a different case. If it doesn't happen post release, it will happen in the 2020 rerelease, mark my words.
Just like we were told to wait for the "hardcore" game this year when worrying about it in Let's Go right?

I'm not holding my breath.

Also other games had post-release patches for the 3DS that added content. It was doable.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's a worthy criticism, but it's not enough to make me not buy the new mainline Pokemon game.

I try not to use old Pokemon in the new games anyway.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
And the series will continue stagnation and regression because of attitudes like this, which was my point. Why would they care to make the games better when people like you run out in droves to buy them every time.

Also, I never called you a shill.

I mean, true or not, no one's going to have their perspective changed by a statement that amounts to "your opinion is wrong and killing this video game."

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I've played every single game and plenty of my favourites were cut and I still don't care. There is just way too many Pokemon now and having the same 800+ to collect with new Pokemon added on top isn't fun anymore. If anything the gimmicks are the worst part of the series right now but SW/SH look quite good so hopefully that part isn't too bad.

RadiantDan

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan
I wasn't upset by it originally, but looking at the amount of content in the game based off the leaks has me feeling pretty miffed by it now because it does not seems like much, if anything, was gained as a result of it.

Mandatory Exp. Share and general disappointment with the series since X/Y are the bigger reasons I'm likely skipping SwSh.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
The decision is a bit underwhelming but I'm pretty sure I will end up enjoying the game a lot with what we have.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Completing the dex actually feels attainable to me now. Gen 7 I paid no attention to my dex because, to me, it's overwhelming.

Gen 8 actually has more Pokemon in it's dex than SuMo though, SuMo was actually one of the easiest to complete in all honesty.

The removal of a national dex in Gen7 (whilst still letting you transfer all your old pokemon over) was specifically done for this reason, that's the best way of satisfying all parties, even if I personally liked getting new dex entries every game.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Buying day 1.

When "Dexit" got explained to me:

source.gif

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Third option should be edited and read: No, I had already decided not to purchase the games.
Some of us were excited when they were announced, then learned terrible details one after the other and eventually decided not to buy.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played several previous generations of Pokemon so I'm not effected by the loss. This Pokemon looks great so I'm buying it in release after so long.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I never caught all the Pokemon in the games, I always caught the cool looking ones ( maybe 20 or so ) for each game and I always hated that I'd just capture these Pokemons and just store them in a box instead of training them..and leaving the be. Not to mention I never was able to transfer the Pokemons from 1 game to another cause Iacked some stupid cable.

Also I fell off Pokemon hard after 4th gen...tried X/y and damn that game was boring I barely played it..

Only reason I'm back with sword and shield cause it's ON a Console this time so I will be getting it just cause of that

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, I get complaints about the Exp. Share, because Pokemon games are a bit too easy as it is, but on the other hand, there is absolutely nothing fun about being forced to switch back and forth between Pokemon arbitrarily just to make sure the pathetic weakling you just caught is as viable as the rest of your team.

I wish they'd just pump the difficulty and keep the Exp. Share integrated.

I get enjoyment out of these games by putting all sorts of dumb restrictions on myself to make the games as hard as I can. The exp share makes this virtually impossible. No matter how many restrictions you set you cannot be challenged when you are 10 levels above your opponents.

Switch training I don't mind at all, it's a minor thing which makes battles slightly more difficult while you baby a new mon and encourages you to start trying to actually use the new mon when it has a good matchup as early possible, which can make for some fun scenarios when that mon is still underleveled. Even then it's only actually a thing in the first half of the game because the pre-gen 6 games had still had exp share, it just actually, yknow, shared exp, and didn't multiply it.

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm buying mainly to play it with my 8 year old and don't really care about the National dex. So yes, still buying.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is one of many decisions by the development team that killed my interest in the games.

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
If everything about the game was exactly the same as it is now, but it had all the Pokemon in it, I would have a hard time getting excited about it to the point that is have a hard time justifying a purchase. The massive cuts to the Pokedex just pushed that choice over the edge.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
I was generally let down by Sun and Moon. I'll have to wait and see but this game doesn't look to be much of a revolution. Combined that with the cut and I most likely will skip. Maybe later down the line, I'll pick up a second-hand copy. But I'm not looking forward to buying a game for more money with arguably less content than past games.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No. A new Pokemon game with new Pokemon to discover is enough for me. I just hope competitive battling is good.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People answering that they will still buy it is why the series will never make meaningful progress.
Why wouldn't I buy it? I never transfer old Pokemon in and always build a fresh new team using the regional dex of that game.

Why shame people for buying it when the change doesn't effect the way they play? Why would I boycott a game that I am hyped for over a lack of a feature I never use?

I been playing since day 1. I had Red pre-ordered the second it was available to preorder in 1998 and Sword and Shield imo look to be the best entries in well over a decade.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
I wish "I'll buy used down the road" was an option.

I'd actually buy it used if not for the fact that they've said this is going to be an ongoing thing for the series, if they hadn't mentioned that, then I could still collect all the new pokemon to transfer to later games without actually supporting this decision monetarily, but nope they've committed to it now.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'll still buy but I can't say it doesn't hurt to see all my favs being cut </3
Dragonite was even my old avatar...

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not, I don't even use every mon in the game.

Now catching 400 mons sounds fun...like BW1 all over again :)

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was still planing to buy the game when they announced that not all Pokémon will be in the Galar and while I wasn't trilled about the news over time I have pretty much accepted it and I am excited to play the game.

And despite the fact that I have spent years using Charizard in my team and crafting a long running story, I am still gonna get the game should Charizard not be in the game as during the 24 hours stream for Galarian Ponyta and seeing the new Pokémon, I was excited and I would hate to miss out on that feeling and not play the game.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought Let's Go! last year day 1, however I was on edge for SS and waited for more details on it.

I think this one won't be a day 1, at least. The enormous amount of removed Pokemon defeats the purpose of 'catching them all' usually there in all games.

If it gets glowing reviews as the second coming then I may get my ass to the shop though.

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Scrolling through this thread

"What is dexit"
"What is dexit"
"What is dexit"

I seriously think it's a new pokemon now and people don't want it.

unknown.png

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
For me, Dexit really just compounds the reason as to why I don't buy Pokemon games anymore. My bigger issue is the fact that GF thinks the series is ONLY for children, despite Pokemon Go, Masters, etc. showing that there is huge interest in the series from young adults, and even parents.

It's shambolic that we treat region design as almost being in a straight line because of some misguided concern about people not playing the games as often (has Game Freak seen their sales + internet interest?), and equally shambolic that story in a Pokemon game has consistently regressed after Gen V, when the expectation is that it should have been better.

Honestly I felt that Sun and Moon dealt with a lot more adult themes in its storytelling. The game was just bogged down by how handholdy it was, but I think the presentation of its plot was a step forward from BW/XY. Just needed to interrupt the player with it less... lol.

Oh, and to answer this question; no. I realize that the dex situation never actually bothered me, and my annoyance was always rooted in the games not being enough of a visual step up from S/M. I'm now able to (mostly) accept the games in how they look, and after previews claiming a less tutorial heavy opening in the game, I actually finally felt excited to play the games.

I also always stick to the regional dex during playthroughs with veeery few exceptions to that rule, so I'm not personally effected by it. Don't think the decision is all that great, but I would have had the games had a larger visual overhaul from the last set of games. *shrug*

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Completing the dex actually feels attainable to me now. Gen 7 I paid no attention to my dex because, to me, it's overwhelming. I think Sw/Sh looks great, I think there are cool new gameplay additions, and most importantly, I know that I will get $60 worth of entertainment from what's there. Day 1
Alola's dex in SuMo was actually pretty small in comparison, only having 300 Pokemon (302 if you count Magearna and Marshadow who were added later as events). It's the only regional dex I've ever completed, and it was surprisingly easy to do. I don't know if I'll do it again for SwSh, though. It'll depend on how much I like the game.

I also just learned USUM's Alola dex was 400 as well (403 if you count the aforementioned event 'mons and Zeraora.)

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know: honest question, if this is my first real pokemon game, should I be worried about it?

No, if you have no attachment to the series it won't affect you, unless in the end you like SwSh so much that you want to go back and play older games and then if you get attached to some older pokes you might not be able to bring them with you to new HD games (some of us still have our favorite pokemon from ruby and sapphire back in 2003 that we bring to the new games), but I can't see that happening to most people considering the general decline the series has been on.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
"Dexit"

Yep, let's rhetorically tie our protest to a massive reactionary fuck-up. That will make us seem reasonable and not at all like a bunch of shoe-chewing rage addicts. I think I might actually hate this more than appending -gate to any scandal.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
"Dexit"

Yep, let's rhetorically tie our protest to a massive reactionary fuck-up. That will make us seem reasonable and not at all like a bunch of shoe-chewing rage addicts. I think I might actually hate this more than appending -gate to any scandal.
What if we call it Dexitgate?