• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you turned off by a game thats " destiny Like" or GaaS

• Yes, I am turned off only when I hear "Destiny like "

Votes: 166 19.5%
  • Yes, I am turned off only when I hear GaaS

Votes: 217 25.5%
  • Yes, I am turned off by BOTH destiny Like and GaaS

Votes: 377 44.4%
  • No, I like "Destiny like " games and don't mind if x game/developer follows route

Votes: 271 31.9%

• Total voters

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Both are massive turn-offs. I immediately lose interest if those are mentioned, thinking of them as schemes more than artistic expressions. It's everything I'm not looking for in gaming.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
For me yes, but only because I find it hard to juggle multiple GaaS games with the time they demand, particularly with concurrent timelimited events.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree that Division 2 launched with substantial content with few bugs, and I enjoy the game for the most part.

It was waaaaaay better than Anthem, though.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does "Toxic" mean "thing I don't like"? I thought it was more about abusive people. Gamers are absolutely in love with that word for some reason so it gets used in weird situations.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Going on and on about how your games is a service for years to come is a huge turn off, so ya I steer clear of that stuff.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
There's nothing wrong with GaaS, some of my favourite games are GaaS in their execution. I don't care about Destiny, but hearing that some game is like Destiny is not an automatic turnoff either.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
dont even care whatever label people decide to put on a game. if its a good game, ill play it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
SHLOOTER

Yeah I'm not crazy about it. It's good to have a word to describe something though.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
If every game is designed to be the only game you ever play it generally results in me not even being interested in them, especially if the game is "Do this mission over and over to make your numbers go up". Most of the time they're extremely grindy and/or have paid lootboxes or Xp packs to make things go by faster. Selling me a solution to a problem they've created.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I think the "GaaS" brand was probably hurt pretty hard by the triple flop of FO76, Anthem, and the Apex Battle Pass, but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the idea of doing a service game.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just sick of it. Its always hamsterwheel bullshit, mtx and anaemic content. Motherfuckers want that MMO money but don't want to put in the work required to make and keep one up. Done with the model honestly. I thought division 2 would shake it up enough for me but nah I couldn't even get to level cap.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
GaaS - and when a developer says "we are designing the game so you can play it indefinitely with a gameplay loop of getting loot so you can go after better loot"

It's a instant no, not even if is based on a franchise I like, this is the only subject in games I vote no instantly, I vote with my wallet and will say nope instantly to.
Not even if come free on Plus/Gold or given as a gift

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Is Games-as-Service considered a dirty word by a lot of people here on Era? Yes.

Do these games have a combined player base in the hundreds of millions? Yes.

So it is fair to say that most of the people playing games don't care about the term, if they even know it at all.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
I wouldn't say it's a turn off, but I can't think of a single one that was good enough to stay longer than a month or two after release.

edit: HItman was by far the best GAAS game, even though I didn't pick it up until the complete edition.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
GaaS can be okay in certain circumstances. Rocket League does it well and so has Forza Horizon 4 as well.

Destiny-like would immediately raise red flags. Is it a game light on content that requires a huge grind to achieve anything? If so, huge turnoff.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
GaaS doesn't mean Destiny-like games at all, most modern AAA games are GaaS. Chances are you're probably playing one, it's just the term putting people off.

Don't like Destiny-like games personally but GaaS is fine. Hitman is great. Enjoy plenty of fighting games.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
They are perfect if they are by Sony /s

GaaS does not mean multiplayer only. Get your shit straight.

Most games are GaaS with downloadable content like spiderman, assassins creed, the Witcher 3.

People just use the term for games they don't like. Like anti-consumer, it's meaningless nowadays.

Jun 26, 2018
This site notoriously leans Sony, chances are you have a PS4......Now what if I told you there are a metric crap ton of very friendly and helpful PS4 players in the DestinyERA discord that could run with you. If you can talk to people here you can talk on discord. Besides you wouldn't beat the raid with matchmade/no mic having blueberries anyway.

I would never want to voice chat with people online while playing difficult content, it's pretty much a recipe for verbal abuse, so no thanks.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I would never want to voice chat with people online while playing difficult content, it's pretty much a recipe for verbal abuse, so no thanks.
I think your expectations of what you think it would be like is off base of what it is actually like. Sure it's difficult but people laugh and have a good time bonding over completing challenging things together.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'd think by looking at the poll they're horrible, but they don't keep making these games because they are unpopular.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I am alone, but wtf is everyone copping destiny. destiny is fine, but as a old school mmo player, I would rather a gaas focus on the rpg side more, and the lack of a gaas using the holy trinity structure is just weird too me.,

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't label it toxic but yes it's a turn-off but also I'm a minority with that. Far more people play these games than any of my favorites.

As far as the GAAS part is concerned. That doesn't mean there aren't games where it works out for me as well. I wouldn't say that GAAS made AC a better game for me but at least it's acceptable.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I don't mind them, I am just sick of GaaS-shooters.

Give me something fucking else please.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
there is nothing fundamentally wrong with games as a service. it only becomes a problem if the dev treats it poorly and looks to give their players a poor level of value for their time. Having a game you really enjoy be improved and updated year after year can be a great experience. It can also be an annoying one if those changes wind up changing the game in a way that doesn't sit well with you. the big problem i have is when they ask for 200+ hours of gameplay for like one character skin

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Destiny 2.
Launched with very few issues.
Had an enjoyable campaign, lots of activities and a great raid.

tenor.gif

Destiny 2 was a shitshow at launch. the raid was plain awful.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing Defiance back on Xbox 360, which was an early version of the shared world shooter genre. It wasn't the best game but it was so cool! I remember telling my friends that 'next gen is going to have a bunch of games like this', and we were all so damn excited.

Then Destiny launched and was fairly lackluster after the first Raid. Then there was The Division which was pretty hit or miss. Then Destiny 2 which was disappointingly similar to Destiny 1. Then there was Anthem which was... bad.

On paper, I absolutely love the Destiny-like games. But developers are apparently just not able to execute on the ideas and fully flesh out open world, loot shooters.

GAAS is amazing though. I played a ton of Old School Runescape (which has been a GAAS since it launched in the late 90s). I love League of Legends, Sea of Thieves. I played many hours of Fortnite and PUBG. It's a great model for multiplayer games, as they need continuous updates and support.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, Monster Hunter World is my #2 GOTY last year and Iceborne shaping up to be my GOTY this year.

Also I like how they handle GaaS in AssCreed Origins (haven't played Odyssey yet).

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The idea of GaaS sounds like a holy grail of gaming in some ways. Imagine being told 10+ years ago that your favorite games in the future would get constant updates and new content on a regular basis. Sounds great right? The idea of GaaS is a good one, it's just tricky to get right. Most devs fail and end up pissing off their audiences.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
GaaS is definitely a fairly negatively loaded term to me nowadays. Not necessarily because there is anything massively wrong in the premise of GaaS games or because of games like Anthem screwing things up majestically, but mostly because GaaS games are such insane timesinks that it gets kind of exhausting just seeing all these GaaS games pop up. Quite a few of them I am/was interested in but I can't do multiple GaaS games at once due to how much time that would require. I'd rather play a few 10-20 hour games from beginning to end than put in the effort to get everything out of a GaaS game.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
There's nothing wrong with games as a service, I loved games like DotA 2 and TF2. My problem with Destiny and its friends is that loot has never been a hook for me. It didn't work for Diablo, didn't work for WoW and won't work for Destiny. Any game that's loot based is an instant no for me.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm turned off if it's a bad/incomplete game. Not if it's a GaaS.
This. GaaS means nothing. Absolutely nothing. The only even remotely consistent business model application one could attach to it it "post game support", which is obviously a good thing. It's meant to be seen on a game to game basis, like just about every other term in the industry.