• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Beat me to it. The MCU is heavily drawing from 616 characters and storylines. There's very little of the ultimate universe in it.

that is not true.

MCU Nick Fury is straight Ultimate version, to the point they introduce a version of him later in 616 as the original's son.

Hawkeye is 99% the Ultimate version as a family man.

Stark is also heavy influenced by his Ultimate version since 616 one was always shit.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
The funny thing is that Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate X-Men actually brought me back to reading Marvel Comics as at the time I was reading just Vertigo but looking back, Ultimate Spidey is still sorta okay and Ultimate X-Men is complete crap.

I honestly don't know how I ended up reading nearly all of Marvel week to week when that was my intro.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Of course they're mostly drawing from 616, now more than ever, but the Ultimate universe definitely inspired some parts of the early mcu. Tony isn't s blue baby and Steve isn't a douchebag but still. Small stuff. Some of the costumes, the original avengers lineup, chitauri, shields role in it etc. Not the biggest things but still influences from the ultimate universe.

The Avengers lineup was meant to be Cap/Thor/Hulk/Ant-Man/Wasp/Iron Man exactly as it was in 616.

The only reason that didn't happen is because Edgar wright's ant man film went way off track and ant man and wasp weren't usable. They were intended to be phase 1.

The chitauri got used because Marvel didn't have the exclusive rights to the skrulls or pretty much any other significant alien race that was tied up with the FF rights.

The costumes are minor things (those change constantly) and SHIELD is basically the same across both universes as a shady government organization doing things it shouldn't.

The only direct influence is Sam Jackson as Fury- but that one was an obvious call once it was clear Jackson was interested.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimate Spidey is still sorta okay and Ultimate X-Men is complete crap
Man that sucks to hear, I really enjoyed Ultimate X-Men and Spidey back in the day.
I recently went back and read through the entire ultimate Spidey run and was surprised how well it still hold up. Sad to hear the same thing can't be said for the X-Men even if I remember it never was quite as strong as Spidey.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man that sucks to hear, I really enjoyed Ultimate X-Men and Spidey back in the day.
I recently went back and read through the entire ultimate Spidey run and was surprised how well it still hold up. Sad to hear the same thing can't be said for the X-Men even if I remember it never was quite as strong as Spidey.

Yeah see the thing about Ultimate is that if you just stick to Spider-Man and ignore everything else, you're gonna have a good time. Bendis routinely ignored the Ultimate characterizations and just wrote the X-Men, Ultimates and FF as their 616 counterparts but it was fine because all of them suck in Ultimate Marvel.

Ultimate X-Men is just awful. Just a miserable, dour book that never stopped being so right until the end.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Avengers lineup was meant to be Cap/Thor/Hulk/Ant-Man/Wasp/Iron Man exactly as it was in 616.

The only reason that didn't happen is because Edgar wright's ant man film went way off track and ant man and wasp weren't usable. They were intended to be phase 1.

The chitauri got used because Marvel didn't have the exclusive rights to the skrulls or pretty much any other significant alien race that was tied up with the FF rights.

The costumes are minor things (those change constantly) and SHIELD is basically the same across both universes as a shady government organization doing things it shouldn't.

The only direct influence is Sam Jackson as Fury- but that one was an obvious call once it was clear Jackson was interested.
I mean, yeah? Doesn't take away from them still taking inspiration from the ultimate universe. All you're doing is explaining why.

I know the ultimate universe is mostly trash and the mcu is like 99% 616. But there's clearly some ultimate stuff in it, like it or not.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
He can't hurt Havok or his other brothers, Vulcan and Adam X the X-Treme, either.

In Age of Apocalypse Cyclops and Havok have a climactic duel to the death and Havok seemingly kills him, and then ten years later they wrote a comic in the same universe saying that Cyclops was alive off-screen because the writers forgot Havok's powers couldn't kill him.

Haha I remember this, though you missed a beat.

AoA cyclops and havok did have a fight to the death and the writers/editors FORGOT havoks blasts wouldn't hurt cyclops.

Fans were on this one IMMEDIATELY though and called them out on it- editorial apologized and reprints of that issue were "corrected" with a gun edited in to Havoks hands to explain the killing.

No idea how AoA cyclops appeared alive offscreen after all that tho

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Edit:Ooosps where the hell did this quote come from? Sorry!

Of course they're mostly drawing from 616, now more than ever, but the Ultimate universe definitely inspired some parts of the early mcu. Tony isn't s blue baby and Steve isn't a douchebag but still. Small stuff. Some of the costumes, the original avengers lineup, chitauri, shields role in it etc. Not the biggest things but still influences from the ultimate universe.
I'd argue against SHIELD, too. Other than taking the US focused approach when 616 SHIELD has been UN funded, MCU SHIELD still had and has way more in common with the main universe. Everything else is aesthetics.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I mean, yeah? Doesn't take away from them still taking inspiration from the ultimate universe. All you're doing is explaining why.

How is that taking inspiration from the ultimate universe?

The lineup was the 616 lineup until Wrights movie got canned and rewritten during production.

The chitauri were clearly subbed in for skrulls, and basically never really expanded on other than being cannon fodder for the Avengers to shoot at. The skrulls on the other hand got a whole movie to explain the Kree/Skrull conflict... Which is a 616 thing that goes back to the Kree/Skrull war Avengers arc.

There is VERY little influence from 1610 compared to the obvious and direct influences taken from 616.

Cap 2 (Winter Soldier) is adapted from the 616 arc.

Hawkeye isn't close to the 1610 version either- despite having a family in the MCU, Hawkeye turns into Ronin in Endgame- which never happened in the Ultimate Universe. That was a 616 arc and he's in the 616 Ronin costume.

The MCU Ant Man is adapted from 616 Scott Lang and isn't influenced at all by 1610 Pym.

Age of Ultron takes its title from a 616 arc, but the basic storyline is adapted from the 616 Avengers arc where Ultron is accidentally created by pym them goes on to create the Vision. It bears no resemblance to the 1610 Ultron and Vision.

Cap 3 is an adaptation of the 616 civil war arc, though massively scaled down.

Guardians of the galaxy is ripped wholesale from the 616 Abnett and Lanning version of that team.

Thor:Ragnarok is an adaptation of (strangely) the 616 Planet Hulk storyline, with only a handful of Thor stuff sprinkled in.

Black Panther is adapted from the 616 Rise of the Black Panther storyline where the panther/kill monger conflict plays out almost verbatim.

Infinity War and Endgame are adaptations of the 616 Infinity Gauntlet storyline, and the 616 "Infinity" storyline.

There is virtually no ultimate universe influence in the MCU, outside of Sam Jackson and a handful of superficial things. 99% of it was adapted from 616.

Last edited:

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Cyclops in the multi-media format has been overly portrayed as being so much Jean centered and focused that the writers lose touch of who he is in X-men & mutant lore. I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

But comic Cyclops has always been an asshole but a fantastic tactician and leader. And the past decade willing to cross the line if need be. He's becoming truly the equal to Xavier and Magneto as a pillar for Mutantdom.

Here's Chris Claremont & John Byrne's Uncanny X-Men #127 after an encounter with Proteus. Including The famous panel where Cyclops doused Wolverine with coffee. This muthafucka even shoots at Storm of all people.

ekoqtqO.jpg

yU2cHka.jpg

kG3aYVB.jpg

uyuM0Cl.jpg

RxEOqMo.jpg

He beats his teammates asses & then goes
"Consider this a Danger Room session" - and hilariously everybody goes along with it. Cyke is that dude.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah see the thing about Ultimate is that if you just stick to Spider-Man and ignore everything else, you're gonna have a good time. Bendis routinely ignored the Ultimate characterizations and just wrote the X-Men, Ultimates and FF as their 616 counterparts but it was fine because all of them suck in Ultimate Marvel.

Ultimate X-Men is just awful. Just a miserable, dour book that never stopped being so right until the end.

They didn't really know what to do with Ultimate X-Men long-term. And it shows. At least Bendis was mostly consistent with what he wanted to do with Spider-Man (Peter and later Miles).

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
He can't hurt Havok or his other brothers, Vulcan and Adam X the X-Treme, either.

In Age of Apocalypse Cyclops and Havok have a climactic duel to the death and Havok seemingly kills him, and then ten years later they wrote a comic in the same universe saying that Cyclops was alive off-screen because the writers forgot Havok's powers couldn't kill him.
Yeah I remember that one scene from the 90's cartoon. What's the 'scientific' reasoning for the Summers' brothers not being able to harm each other?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Hello father" says Rachel, with her red hair and psychic abilities she got from her mother's side, and then her... enhanced tracking abilities, fierce temper and the signature face stripes that have always evoked somebody's look 🤔

I too used to be on the ComicBookResources X-Men board.

(According to Word of Claremont, Rachel was intended as an immaculate birth by Jean from the Phoenix Force itself)

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
"Hello father" says Rachel, with her red hair and psychic abilities she got from her mother's side, and then her... enhanced tracking abilities, fierce temper and the signature face stripes that have always evoked somebody's look 🤔

If the cyclops and Phoenix books didnt end this debate, I recall Rachel clarifying she was Scott's biological daughter (and rather recently) so the Wolverine-is-her-father-theory has likely been put to bed.

The marks on her face come from being turned into a hound by Ahab, also. Not a result of her mutation.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Yeah I remember that one scene from the 90's cartoon. What's the 'scientific' reasoning for the Summers' brothers not being able to harm each other?

They both absorb specific frequencies of energy to power themselves. Cyclops via solar, havok by random ambient cosmic energy.

The explanation is that the frequencies their powers output is so close to the frequency of what they absorb that they can't hurt each other.

This does not apply to Vulcan.

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017

Her tracking comes from her telepathy....and Jean has always had her own fierce temper as well...and al hounds had those scars

We know the "Logan could be her father" theory came from the late 80s when Cyclops and the Invisible Woman were made into hounds and Susan could track Franklin but Scott couldn't track Rachel...but those attributes aren't related to Wolverine

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

The lineup was the 616 lineup until Wrights movie got canned and rewritten during production.

The chitauri were clearly subbed in for skrulls, and basically never really expanded on other than being cannon fodder for the Avengers to shoot at. The skrulls on the other hand got a whole movie to explain the Kree/Skrull conflict... Which is a 616 thing that goes back to the Kree/Skrull war Avengers arc.

There is VERY little influence from 1610 compared to the obvious and direct influences taken from 616.

Hawkeye isn't close to the 1610 version either- despite having a family in the MCU, Hawkeye turns into Ronin in Endgame- which never happened in the Ultimate Universe. That was a 616 arc and he's in the 616 Ronin costume.

The MCU Ant Man is adapted from 616 Scott Lang and isn't influenced at all by 1610 Pym.

Age of Ultron takes its title from a 616 arc, but the basic storyline is adapted from the 616 Avengers arc where Ultron is accidentally created by pym them goes on to create the Vision. It bears no resemblance to the 1610 Ultron and Vision.

Guardians of the galaxy is ripped wholesale from the 616 Abnett and Lanning version of that team.

Thor:Ragnarok is an adaptation of (strangely) the 616 Planet Hulk storyline, with only a handful of Thor stuff sprinkled in.

Black Panther is adapted from the 616 Rise of the Black Panther storyline where the panther/kill monger conflict plays out almost verbatim.

Infinity War and Endgame are adaptations of the 616 Infinity Gauntlet storyline, and the 616 "Infinity" storyline.

There is virtually no ultimate universe influence in the MCU, outside of Sam Jackson and a handful of superficial things. 99% of it was adapted from 616.

what I was saying is that phase 1 (up to Avengers movie) were strongly influenced by 1610. After that the Ultimate line went down the hill, and MCU started to completely go 616.

The 1610 influence was in Fury/Shield, Hawkeye (to the point it was quite a turn 180 to start adapting the 616 stories into him, as the D+ series), among other things.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
what I was saying is that phase 1 (up to Avengers movie) were strongly influenced by 1610. After that the Ultimate line went down the hill, and MCU started to completely go 616.

The 1610 influence was in Fury/Shield, Hawkeye (to the point it was quite a turn 180 to start adapting the 616 stories into him, as the D+ series), among other things.

And I'm saying you're off base. Ant Man was planned and conceived as phase 1 but got delayed in production. That was always going to be Lang, not pym and taken from 616, not 1610. There were interviews that came out saying Pym wasn't going to be used because Marvel couldn't separate him from the wife beater nonsense.

Thor is 100% the story of 616 Thor's origin down to the Destroyer which as far as I know doesn't have a 1610 counterpart.

The MCU abomination from Incredible Hulk was Emil Blonsky (616) not Chang Lam (1610)

Cap 1 is the 616 Steve Rogers origin, down to using the Johann Schmidt Red Skull and his obsession with the cosmic cube, and not the insane "son of Steve Rogers" red skull 1610 went with.

Tony Stark is obviously the 616 version, even down to the "cave" armor design being the mark 1 and stane being Iron Monger.

Fury has been explained, and Hawkeye's role got expanded because Ant Man and wasp couldn't be used as planned for phase 1 due to wright's production delays.

This was always a 616 production.

Last edited:

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Not just sometimes. Those books quickly devolved into edgy parodies of 616 exactly for that reason. Spiderman was really the only exception to this.

Ya, there were some other good pockets to the ultimate universe here and there, but even those were mostly good because of their ties to Ultimate Spider-Man. Like, Ultimate Kitty Pryde was fantastic, and she did have some solid arcs in Ultimate X-Men, but most of her characterization was established in Ultimate Spider-Man. Likewise, Ultimate Spider Woman I'm a big fan of, and she did later get to be part of her own team book which wasn't great but had its moments, but again tied directly to Ultimate Spider-Man. Pretty much anything that didn't tie in there sucked. (Ultimate Fantastic Four had some really cool ideas too but was all over the place)

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

So you're agreeing me with? Good.
All I said was it took some influences from the ultimate universe in the beginning. Were talking early mcu here. Long before skrulls or black panther or dr strange was a thing. Phase 1. Don't matter if they wanted it to be like the 616 universe but couldn't, they still made a choice to go the ultimate route instead. And yes, it's SMALL THINGS and overall it's still very much based on 616 but I haven't said anything else.

Last edited:

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

It seems to be a common thread with blood related energy blasters. Banshee and Black Tom Cassidy were immune to each other's powers, too.

The real reason is because it lets them force laser guys into a fistfight.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
that is not true.

MCU Nick Fury is straight Ultimate version, to the point they introduce a version of him later in 616 as the original's son.

Hawkeye is 99% the Ultimate version as a family man.

Stark is also heavy influenced by his Ultimate version since 616 one was always shit.
MCU Fury is just a black version of 616 Fury; 1610 Fury was more of a manipulating asshole instead of a calculating asshole. Nick Jr came about for brand synergy, and even Nick Jr acts nothing like MCU Fury and hasn't from the beginning.

Ultimate Hawkeye was a dick, of which MCU Hawkeye is not. The only thing they had in common was the family. Aside from that, MCU's Hawkeye has his personality and demeanor lifted from 616.

MCU Stark isn't obsessed with numbing his pain because his brain is his entire body and he has a tumor that becomes sentient. MCU Stark is a billionaire playboy who didn't take anything serious and got himself into trouble, just like 616 Stark. Even the armor design from Iron Man was lifted straight out of 616 as Stark's Extremis armor at the time.

Any similarities between the MCU and Ultimate universe are superficial aesthetics. Personalities, tones, motives, and other characteristics are straight 616.

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Cyclops is the best X-men and has been forever.

If the MCU movie has him being a badass leader better than Cap type dude I will go watch it. If not my MCU ban continues

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Ultimate Hawkeye was a dick, of which MCU Hawkeye is not. The only thing they had in common was the family. Aside from that, MCU's Hawkeye has his personality and demeanor lifted from 616.

While I generally agree that MCU borrowed mostly aesthetics rather than characterization, MCU Hawkeye is kind of his own thing, who doesn't really match 616 Hawkeye either.....Outside of Hawkeye being the snarky one of the group, but everyone likes their snark in the MCU.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
MCU Fury is just a black version of 616 Fury; 1610 Fury was more of a manipulating asshole instead of a calculating asshole. Nick Jr came about for brand synergy, and even Nick Jr acts nothing like MCU Fury and hasn't from the beginning.

MCU Stark isn't obsessed with numbing his pain because his brain is his entire body and he has a tumor that becomes sentient. MCU Stark is a billionaire playboy who didn't take anything serious and got himself into trouble, just like 616 Stark. Even the armor design from Iron Man was lifted straight out of 616 as Stark's Extremis armor at the time.

Any similarities between the MCU and Ultimate universe are superficial aesthetics. Personalities, tones, motives, and other characteristics are straight 616.

Bingo.

If the ultimate universe had never been conceived, very little would change. They'd probably still cast SLJ as fury regardless since hasslehoff didn't work out.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Scott is almost always right. And he's badass. And has good costumes.

Also tho that get off my lawn image a little rough with the Whedon news lately.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

The general way to take MCU Phase 1 is that they take high-level 1610 details but give everyone their 616 characterization. Black Nick Fury, Hawkeye and Black Widow as SHIELD agents, Hulk coming from failed attempts to remake the Super Soldier serum, Cap and Bucky being childhood friends before serving together, Thor not having a civilian identity, etc. The main one that dodges it is Iron Man, though his origin is obviously modernized.

Even with Marvel shifting more into 616 with Phase 2 they still take a couple 1610 details here and there, such as Falcon being ex-paramilitary.

All of this said, there's no way the MCU goes 1610 with the X-Men.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Here's Chris Claremont & John Byrne's Uncanny X-Men #127 after an encounter with Proteus. Including The famous panel where Cyclops doused Wolverine with coffee. This muthafucka even shoots at Storm of all people.

He beats his teammates asses & then goes
"Consider this a Danger Room session" - and hilariously everybody goes along with it. Cyke is that dude.
Wanted to thank you for posting these panels. I haven't read X-men in two decades outside of the occasional event. I totally get that modern comics have abandoned these old storytelling tools, but it warms my heart to see some of the long-dead pre-bendis comic book techniques at play. I will always miss thought balloons.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
And I'm saying you're off base. Ant Man was planned and conceived as phase 1 but got delayed in production. That was always going to be Lang, not pym and taken from 616, not 1610. There were interviews that came out saying Pym wasn't going to be used because Marvel couldn't separate him from the wife beater nonsense.

Thor is 100% the story of 616 Thor's origin down to the Destroyer which as far as I know doesn't have a 1610 counterpart.

The MCU abomination from Incredible Hulk was Emil Blonsky (616) not Chang Lam (1610)

Cap 1 is the 616 Steve Rogers origin, down to using the Johann Schmidt Red Skull and his obsession with the cosmic cube, and not the insane "son of Steve Rogers" red skull 1610 went with.

Tony Stark is obviously the 616 version, even down to the "cave" armor design being the mark 1 and stane being Iron Monger.

Fury has been explained, and Hawkeye's role got expanded because Ant Man and wasp couldn't be used as planned for phase 1 due to wright's production delays.

This was always a 616 production.
Plus the Avengers coming together to fight Loki of all people is straight up the original story

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
That was Grant Morrison's New X-Men that had Magneto manipulating people using Cassandra Nova's nanosentinels. Like Xavier could walk because Magneto allowed him to.

The Phoenix 5 thing was basically Magneto, Emma Frost, and Cyclops' powers got messed up after the Phoenix possession. Despite Magneto not having been possessed by the Phoenix. Illyana actually got a power boost, but it turned out that what she was doing was neglecting the fact that she was basically powering herself using Limbo as a power source and wrecking the shit out of it as a result. I think Namor and Colossus' powers were fine. That storyline just kind of ends. Their powers end up restoring themselves. Emma's telepathy is broken, but her diamond skin is fine. Magneto's powers are severely reduced in strength, and Cyclops can't control his beams properly.
No that was nanosentinels. It got revealed at the end of Bendis' Uncanny run that Dark Beast had infected Scott, Emma and Magneto with nanosentinels and that was the cause of their broken powers, not the Phoenix Force.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Scott being an uptight, straight laced, no nonsense dude, is why he and Emma were so perfect for each other.

e5dcbbf210fbf534d7513f9ce7ee0b79.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite Cyclops fact is: He takes pride in the fact that he's mastered his powers to the point that if can decapitate himself if he ever needed to. By being able to reflect his optic blaster of a shard of Ruby quartz crystal at just the right angle.

It's like to he most Scott thing ever.

This is an alternate universe Scott. Don't think regular Scott's powers will actually let him do that.