• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, so you're telling me he can control them without the visor/glasses but he chooses to wear them?

Or is it that some storyline concluded that he could control them and then everyone forgot about that? Like I understand he can control stuff with his visor but I'm pretty sure he still wears the glasses.
Rogue still wears gloves even though she has full control over her powers. People do things that make them comfortable.

And as a "just in case" thing, rocking the glasses (or gloves in Rogue's case) doesn't hurt.

Who knew Magneto being OP was a good thing? Low power Magneto is damn nasty

That whole run was fucking awesome.

G92v1wm.jpg

imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Never liked wolverine. I started with the early 90s action cartoon, like many, and it was Wolverine who seemed like the jealous sobbing loner wannabe who couldn't take it that Jean was with Cyclops. Didn't like how they obviously gave Wolverine so much attention over the years either. I just don't see the appeal. Gambit and Cyclops were way better to me. It's like Scorpion in Mortal Kombat. He is the creator's favorite character, so he throws him in our face in every story. He is ALWAYS on the cover now too. Put up a poll on these sites though, and he usually loses in popularity to Sub-Zero, who is way better too.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I've recently started reading the X-Men from the beginning, and starting pretty early on he has one or two thought bubbles per issue about how he's so terrified of accidentally lasering someone and how he loves Jean but can't tell her because he's afraid he'll accidentally laser her. And the others comment about how he's always serious and never smiles or lets his guard down. So yeah, it seems he's always been like that.
He wants to laser her alright. Also Logan.

Scott Summers is og. Leave him alone.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jean was dead for a decade in the comics. He was with Emma. Even Young Cyke and Young Jean weren't a thing.

And he's definitely not like that in Hickmans run, so...basically you haven't read a comic in a long time.

Hell, even longer than that. she was dead for almost 7 years the first time, and 14 years between 2004 and 2018. In the 56 years since her debut in 1963, she's been dead 21 years and alive 35!

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
45ce43adbed59ea7b6e9ad511f6e334d.jpg
Eeeh, considering all the shit he's gone through I think he turned out ok.
Cyclops have also become a really interesting character over the years -- somewhat because of his relationship with Emma -- even though there so many writers trying to make him a "villain" and/or turn him back to the more simple Boys scout persona.
He do seem to be in capable hands with Hickman now to be fair.
X-Men+2+1.jpg

and goddamn am I glad he's rivalry to Wolverine have taken a giant fuckin backseat and they instead can just hang out like friends(or maybe something even more).
Polyamorous-Cyclops-Wolverine-TLDR-1093.png

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Slayven's list of top 5 comicbook team leaders
1.Cyclops
2.Dick Grayson
3.Captain America
4.Obedah Kane
5.Justice League Black Canary
The thing I've always loved about Scott as leader is that he had those damn X-men trained TIGHT. I don't care what comic team you bring to the fight (maybe Blood Syndicate), but when it's time to throw down , the X-men came to rumble. There were no team fights in comics that were more exciting. Scott had the team ready to fight solo, pair up, switch partners, utilize maneuvers...the X-Men were no joke. Cap is a great field commander, but Cyclops can't be touched.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I've always loved about Scott as leader is that he had those damn X-men trained TIGHT. I don't care what comic team you bring to the fight (maybe Blood Syndicate), but when it's time to throw down , the X-men came to rumble. There were no team fights in comics that were more exciting. Scott had the team ready to fight solo, pair up, switch partners, utilize maneuvers...the X-Men were no joke. Cap is a great field commander, but Cyclops can't be touched.

Scott could make Angel useful. Not Archangel. Regular ass Angel.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I forgot he can't hurt himself.

He can't hurt Havok or his other brothers, Vulcan and Adam X the X-Treme, either.

In Age of Apocalypse Cyclops and Havok have a climactic duel to the death and Havok seemingly kills him, and then ten years later they wrote a comic in the same universe saying that Cyclops was alive off-screen because the writers forgot Havok's powers couldn't kill him.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
He can't hurt Havok or his other brothers, Vulcan and Adam X the X-Treme, either.

In Age of Apocalypse Cyclops and Havok have a climactic duel to the death and Havok seemingly kills him, and then ten years later they wrote a comic in the same universe saying that Cyclops was alive off-screen because the writers forgot Havok's powers couldn't kill him.
Vulcan can hurt them though because reasons.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't that Nano-Sentinels messing with him, Magneto, and a few other's powers?
That was Grant Morrison's New X-Men that had Magneto manipulating people using Cassandra Nova's nanosentinels. Like Xavier could walk because Magneto allowed him to.

The Phoenix 5 thing was basically Magneto, Emma Frost, and Cyclops' powers got messed up after the Phoenix possession. Despite Magneto not having been possessed by the Phoenix. Illyana actually got a power boost, but it turned out that what she was doing was neglecting the fact that she was basically powering herself using Limbo as a power source and wrecking the shit out of it as a result. I think Namor and Colossus' powers were fine. That storyline just kind of ends. Their powers end up restoring themselves. Emma's telepathy is broken, but her diamond skin is fine. Magneto's powers are severely reduced in strength, and Cyclops can't control his beams properly.
Cyclops was right. So right they had to kill him off due to how right he was.

on An unrelated note an old favorite

image0.jpg
Singlehandedly my favorite meme.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That was Grant Morrison's New X-Men that had Magneto manipulating people using Cassandra Nova's nanosentinels. Like Xavier could walk because Magneto allowed him to.

The Phoenix 5 thing was basically Magneto, Emma Frost, and Cyclops' powers got messed up after the Phoenix possession. Despite Magneto not having been possessed by the Phoenix. Illyana actually got a power boost, but it turned out that what she was doing was neglecting the fact that she was basically powering herself using Limbo as a power source and wrecking the shit out of it as a result. I think Namor and Colossus' powers were fine. That storyline just kind of ends. Their powers end up restoring themselves. Emma's telepathy is broken, but her diamond skin is fine. Magneto's powers are severely reduced in strength, and Cyclops can't control his beams properly.

Singlehandedly my favorite meme.
How can you fuck up Namor and Colossus' powers? not being that hard anymore

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Colossus for a while couldn't turn off his powers because of all kinds of micro-cuts in his steel form that would have killed him if they turned back into flesh, so there's a way.
Remember when they discovered Colossus isn't solid when he is metal form? Instead he has some sort of energy animating a metal shell

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What can I say, I'm old and took a 20+ year break with comics. I only came back with Civil War in like 2008.
Makes sense. You're not alone, but that early Fox media did him a disservice. A big part was that Jackman's Wolverine took the title spot of the Fox movies. Wolverine in the comics is a joke in comparison. At least in terms of a compelling character.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. You're not alone, but that early Fox media did him a disservice. A big part was that Jackman's Wolverine took the title spot of the Fox movies. Wolverine in the comics is a joke in comparison. At least in terms of a compelling character.
I'd say that it's reversed, Jackman Wolverine is the weaker of the two.

The Ultimate universe was so terrible, y'all
But I liked it at the time, lol. Well, not the Colossus shit, that was dumb.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

I wouldn't go that far. Wolverine had a VERY long run as marvels most popular (and most overexposed) character. For a while he was in everything under the sun, and it's not because he sucked.

Cyclops never caught on that way, but neither did ANY of the Xmen.

How compelling he was largely depended on the arc and storyline- and there were some pretty good ones. I still have a soft spot for the original "Weapon X" arc that showed up in Marvel Comics Presents.

Re: the Fox Xmen movies you're largely correct there. X1 and X2 were basically Wolverine movies with everyone else as supporting cast. Backstage drama that led to Singer leaving for X3 and *taking James Marsden with him* for Superman Returns causing cyclops to be killed offscreen did not help things.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All you really need to know about Ultimate Marvel nowadays is that Ultimate Captain America's "Do you think this letter on my head stands for France?!" was, back then, incredibly hilarious and charming and proof of how badass this new Cap really was compared to the old one.

Al Ewing later wrote a scene where Ultimate Cap crosses paths with the 616 Ultimates lead by Blue Marvel, tries saying the line, and gets his ass kicked by a dimension hopping Latina lesbian.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
All you really need to know about Ultimate Marvel nowadays is that Ultimate Captain America's "Do you think this letter on my head stands for France?!" was, back then, incredibly hilarious and charming and proof of how badass this new Cap really was compared to the old one.

Al Ewing later wrote a scene where Ultimate Cap crosses paths with the 616 Ultimates lead by Blue Marvel, tries saying the line, and gets his ass kicked by a dimension hopping Latina lesbian.

Ah, yeah. That 616 ultimates book is a wild ride. Blue Marvel just demolishing ultimate hulk in a single hit tells you everything you need to know about what Ewing thought of that continuity

49065239e308a0dd7a8fae8d272880f0.jpg

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cyclops is the best and continues to be awesome. He's my favorite X-Men and he doesn't get the credit he should

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I sometimes feel like the writers of the Ultimate Universe actually hated the actual Marvel Universe.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As a Sonic fan growing up. I remember being excited for this show.

But I never got into it.

AoStH was the only one that I really liked as a child.
Edit:Ooosps where the hell did this quote come from? Sorry!
Only in regards to modernized character designs and some of the world lore. Other than window dressing, the MCU is largely based on the main universe.
Beat me to it. The MCU is heavily drawing from 616 characters and storylines. There's very little of the ultimate universe in it.
The setting of a Cape Punk Superhero Arms Race kind of world where superhero conflict is a huge deal that causes massive property damage, definitely. Otherwise, not much.
Of course they're mostly drawing from 616, now more than ever, but the Ultimate universe definitely inspired some parts of the early mcu. Tony isn't s blue baby and Steve isn't a douchebag but still. Small stuff. Some of the costumes, the original avengers lineup, chitauri, shields role in it etc. Not the biggest things but still influences from the ultimate universe.