• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I just the movies to stop having his powers burn or melt things. He isn't shooting a laser.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
This thread shows you who's read X-Men comics in the last twenty years and who hasn't.

I maintain that Logan was a total idiot when he split the X-Men off in Wolverine and the X-Men the comic, meanwhile Scott turned into the dude who tells Captain America to fuck off for never being there to help mutants when they need help, but always there to lecture them when they have to do it on their own.

No one looks good post-schism, so get the fuck out of here with that.

Both Scott and Logan are at their best when they are not actively antagonistic toward each other.

Cyclops is more of a bad ass in the comics than Wolverine.

Like with Batman, trying to make Wolverine actively badass has so many diminishing returns that I don't know why they bother.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i can't wait for MCU to show all you dummies why Scott is the GOAT

0vy53m0vzfg31.jpg

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Scott's cool when you've got big hero things that need to happen and big hero lines that need to be delivered.

The problem is when you need him to be a normal human guy having fun interactions with other characters on the mend, he's just the worst.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I fucking hate Cyclops' personality but that doesnt stop him from being one of the coolest X-Men and doesnt change the fact that he should be in charge.

whats he shooting then?

Its concussive energy, not like a heat ray or laser beam. It actually doesnt produce any heat

He isnt actually shooting anything out of his eyes. They open portals to a dimension that is full of this energy and it just explodes out uncontrollably.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Yeah, Cyclops got done dirty by so many writers. And it became a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy too: once it was established that he was a dick, it was easy for that characterisation to continue indefinitely.

And 100% agree on the contrast between Cyclops getting screwed by writers and Wolverine getting all the page time and fanservice despite being an objectively worse person in pretty much every single way. But Wolverine is popular with edgelords so he gets away with it.
Absolutely, it became easier to cast Cyke as the unlikable bad guy once editorial interference basically cemented him as that. But the fact of the matter remains that Logan has done morally worse than Scott has ever done by order of magnitude, but Logan gets away with it because he's the one-liner generating pop-culture cash-cow, while Scott is the reserved child-soldier who works behind the scenes making sure that his father figures ambition is realized.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
whats he shooting then?
Waves of physical force that just happen to glow. Anything that he "burns" is really just getting pulverized until friction come into play.

Where do the waves of physical force come from? Some say he absorbs sunlight and turns it into his energy blasts. Others, well.

9w2res1aaiaz.jpg

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
The disrespect Scott gets is the worst. My man is saves mutantdom all the time yet gets no respect
i can't wait for MCU to show all you dummies why Scott is the GOAT

I would like to not think of Scott the way I do but it is also not my fault. There have been opportunities for him to be more than what he has been shown to be as a casual fan and they have failed. I trust that KF will fix this when the time comes.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Yeah, Cyclops got done dirty by so many writers. And it became a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy too: once it was established that he was a dick, it was easy for that characterisation to continue indefinitely.

And 100% agree on the contrast between Cyclops getting screwed by writers and Wolverine getting all the page time and fanservice despite being an objectively worse person in pretty much every single way. But Wolverine is popular with edgelords so he gets away with it.

Honestly I'd say Wolverine gets hoed more than Summers. People just don't realize it because it involves his ability to heal through anything so it comes off as a cool but Wolverine gets his ass beat by people who really shouldn't be able to constantly lol

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I would like to not think of Scott the way I do but it is also not my fault. There have been opportunities for him to be more than what he has been shown to be as a casual fan and they have failed. I trust that KF will fix this when the time comes.

Yep Scott doesnt need to be infallible but every form of media hes been featured in (except the games I guess) have kinda poisoned the well for the character over the decades. Most casual fans dont know enough about Cyclops to get the proper understanding of the character. Most hardcore fans have read too many shit stories that do a bad job with him and paint him as too much of an asshole, who goes too far and still fails too often.

He's one of those characters like Tony Stark and Carol Danvers that will be serviced incredibly by an MCU-reboot if they do it right

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'd say Wolverine gets hoed more than Summers. People just don't realize it because it involves his ability to heal through anything so it comes off as a cool but Wolverine gets his ass beat by people who really shouldn't be able to constantly lol
My favorite Cyclop fact is that he considers fighting dinosaurs by himself a vacation

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Honestly why does he still need a visor. The point of Xavier's school is to teach mutants how to control their powers and Scott has been there since the beginning. You'd think he would have learnt by now.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He walked out on his wife and newborn baby when Jean Grey first came back to life.

So yes, he has always been like that.

(This moment ruined Cyclops as a character.)

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Honestly why does he still need a visor. The point of Xavier's school is to teach mutants how to control their powers and Scott has been there since the beginning. You'd think he would have learnt by now.

the visor helps him do more with it than just shoot a concussive blast everywhere. he can control it to a degree but he needs some finesse at times.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
He doesn't, not entirely. He's been without his visor plenty of times, but the visor allows for more granularity of his powers otherwise.

If you don't need to blow up a city block and just need to bounce your beams off of mirrors to make someone trip 30 feet behind you without making it obvious that you're the one doing it, you're going to need the visor.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I just the movies to stop having his powers burn or melt things. He isn't shooting a laser.

Technically, he can burn things. Because he's exerting enough force to excite the molecules, it's just most things wouldn't get to that point because they'd be torn from the force. But something like a dense metal could melt which is what happened with that sentinel in the panel posted. But yea I get what you're saying and I agree!

My favorite Cyclop fact is that he considers fighting dinosaurs by himself a vacation

Doing what real leaders do, casual flexes.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love that moment.
Also a real moment that showed by emma loved him
Technically, he can burn things. Because he's exerting enough force to excite the molecules, it's just most things wouldn't get to that point because they'd be torn from the force. But something like a dense metal could melt which is what happened with that sentinel in the panel posted. But yea I get what you're saying and I agree!

Doing what real leaders do, casual flexes.
First that is some nerd shit, and yes Cyke is that nigga

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I was never a huge fan of Summers until the love triangle between he, Emma, and Jean. He was still cool in Astonishing X-Men, but I've since stopped reading. Disappointed to read that lol.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He walked out on his wife and newborn baby when Jean Grey first came back to life.

So yes, he has always been like that.

(This moment ruined Cyclops as a character.)

You may be shocked to know this is all Kurt Busiek's fault.

Anyway it was editorial fuckery to reunite the O5, a team literally nobody has ever cared about at any point in their lives, and even then Cyclops left because he wanted to know if Jean was alive, then came back and Maddie was gone.

I'm not saying it's okay, I'm not saying it should have happened, but Cyclops deserves better than always getting dragged for this.

This thread shows you who's read X-Men comics in the last twenty years and who hasn't.

I maintain that Logan was a total idiot when he split the X-Men off in Wolverine and the X-Men the comic, meanwhile Scott turned into the dude who tells Captain America to fuck off for never being there to help mutants when they need help, but always there to lecture them when they have to do it on their own.
One of my favorite Scott moments. I hear the chorus of "Where Ya At" by Future every time I read that convo

cyclops.jpg

sven

Oct 31, 2017
Is that just who he is? I haven't read every xmen comic or even what would consider a lot but every comic, movie and cartoon seems to make him.... Did I miss a badass run of of him not being sulky and brooding or extra boy scout-ish? I might not be portraying him right but he always seems whinny and insecure and in every adaptation. I just started Wolverine and The X-men ,since I'm done with the 90's Fox show and I don't know where this takes place but there is Scott Summers, sad and sulking again.

The entire Decimation era basically. He was at his best when he was with Emma.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I want to mention again. That there was a period where where cyclops Scott summers a fictional character beat the writers/editorial of the books argument wise so much they killed him off. He still was right, and then they gave up.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that just who he is? I haven't read every xmen comic or even what would consider a lot but every comic, movie and cartoon seems to make him.... Did I miss a badass run of of him not being sulky and brooding or extra boy scout-ish? I might not be portraying him right but he always seems whinny and insecure and in every adaptation. I just started Wolverine and The X-men ,since I'm done with the 90's Fox show and I don't know where this takes place but there is Scott Summers, sad and sulking again.

Someone has probably told you by now, but Cyclops is badass

Media has done him very dirty

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Yep Scott doesnt need to be infallible but every form of media hes been featured in (except the games I guess) have kinda poisoned the well for the character over the decades. Most casual fans dont know enough about Cyclops to get the proper understanding of the character. Most hardcore fans have read too many shit stories that do a bad job with him and paint him as too much of an asshole, who goes too far and still fails too often.

He's one of those characters like Tony Stark and Carol Danvers that will be serviced incredibly by an MCU-reboot if they do it right

Yep. For a long time I hated Cyclops as a kid because media made me think he was Jean obsessed jerk and loser. But over time as I read how he actually was like I really like him now and it testifies how actually he good he is when all the recent attempts to character assassinate him have failed.

But for real Wolverine and the X-Men is the worst at how it portrays Cyclops as he is just there to make Wolverine look cool.

Huncho

Jun 10, 2020
Cyclops is an awesome leader and Marcel kinda did him dirty will all that shit.

Kinda always appreciated him but never understood the « paranoia » he had when Logan was around.

Thankfully Hickmann did things right with our X-Men

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Cyclops is kinda like Bishop with energy absorption. Can he not use his visor or glasses and open his eyes without blowing up a city block?

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Yup. Cyclops is annoying, a total boy scout, often a hypocrite, but he does have positive qualities as well. He's willing to shoulder an enormous burden and while it wears on him, he rarely blames anyone but himself for his failures. If anything he takes too much responsibility, further wearing on him. He's decisive in moments where many would waiver and he almost always puts the needs of others before his own (with a few pretty notable exceptions admittedly). He's smart in a fight and understands intuitively how to use the people around him together to create the best possible outcome, but will almost never ask someone to do something he wouldn't be willing to and is always looking to get everyone home safe. He's not usually a great guy, and he's definitely not someone most people would want to hang out with on the regular, but he's usually a very good leader.
Damn if that wasn't the best description of Cyclops I've ever read. Shitty husband and father, but he's absolutely what you described - at least up until I stopped reading X-Men in 1993.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Cyclops is kinda like Bishop with energy absorption. Can he not use his visor or glasses and open his eyes without blowing up a city block?
The visor helps him adjust the beam so he doesn't blow everything away when he opens his eyes. He could probably do the same thing to a lesser degree by partially opening his eyes or something. The visor gives him that extra finesse and lets him flex those awesome geometry skills.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Cyclops is more like Superman, except that it doesn't turn into a billion other powers. Bishop is different since he could punch a wall and absorb the kinetic energy from that, ambient light from a lightbulb, an electrical wire, and then use that power to amp himself and shoot energy blasts just as long as it doesn't overload him.

Cyclops is passive, Bishop's is not.

Cyclops doesn't really need his visor, but it lets him fine tune his powers to where he wants and needs them to be. And he's been more powerful since he was the Phoenix, so even though he doesn't need it, he has it because it helps.

Same reason why Rogue continues to cover up even though she has full control of her powers now.