• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Has COVID-19 affected your view?

• Yes, the game’s dystopia takes on a new light now

Votes: 131 37.2%
  • No, my feelings remain the same

Votes: 220 62.5%

• Total voters

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Much like MGS2 was cited after the 2016 U.S. Presidential election, Death Stranding's plot has something of a Nostradamus effect happening in the midst of the Coronavirus causing mass social distancing. I can't imagine how dangerous it would be to work as a deliveryperson right now, doing shit like Instacart etc etc. It's crazy to me how Kojima can think of these ridiculous plots that end up having basis in reality afterwards. But like I ask, has anyone else been looking at DS in a new light after the past weeks made it look plausible?

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am really anxious about his next game being a horror game..

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope.

But the origins and similarities of the Division and the Division 2 are uncanny. Even weirder to be playing it after seeing Trump's rhetoric mirror some of the dialogue in the game. Except that in the game that rhetoric comes from the extremists.

Weird as fuck but hey

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Let's all decide on a place to piss on but coordinate it so we don't meet each other.

(it hasn't changed my view as i already agreed with the message behind the game)

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
Not really. I still think the story is poorly delivered and executed, but the gameplay sells the theme of isolation and connection well

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's not a Kojima game, but Revengeance literally has an egomaniac hypermasculine politician proclaim "make America great again."

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Kojima beats his players over the head with the themes of the game, although I do like them. Having a relatively positive message and focusing on exploration instead of just violence is definitely welcome. Uniting the world is something I can applaud even if it came off as pretty naive and full of itself. Basically the message is positive although the delivery isn't the most ideal. No pun intended.

It's not a Kojima game, but Revengeance literally has an egomaniac hypermasculine politician proclaim "make America great again."

p.png

Trump isn't the first to use it.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
www.resetera.com

Death Stranding & Covid-19...am I the only one?

So living in Milan I've had some time to delve back into my back-catalogue lately. Post-patch Battlefront II, Yakuza 6, I've even tried to play some Red Dead Online before it bore me to death. But Death Stranding, I have to say, hit a bit differently now. I've been working from home for almost...

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
How come Godjima is able to make these postmodern game everytime

MGS2, DS etc

guy knows things

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The whole basis that the world is more "connected" now than ever due to technology yet at the same time being more isolated than ever was what really stood out.

Oct 27, 2017
I always liked the game, and felt it was relevant even before the virus. But I suppose the game has grown in my estimation since then too.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gave it up because the gameplay was boring and the story was goofy so I don't really have a full opinion. Now that everyone is locked up at home I doubt i'll find time to finish it up.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still need to play it. I was saving it for a rainy day which would be now but I recently purchased Resident Evil 2 on sale and now Animal Crossing. I expect sometime in may I'll get to it and see if it resonates with me like others. Especially in these times.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we have this thread like 2 days ago.
Death Stranding X Covid-19 will be the new Marvel / Star Wars / DBZ thread.
www.resetera.com

Death Stranding is now real life

I'm holed away in my apartment, working from home, stocked up with enough food and supplies to not have to go out for a while. I heard a knock at the door and made my way over to see who was there. I saw a package on the doormat, and hear the sound of a delivery guy's footsteps retreating down...
www.resetera.com

So living in Milan I've had some time to delve back into my back-catalogue lately. Post-patch Battlefront II, Yakuza 6, I've even tried to play some Red Dead Online before it bore me to death. But Death Stranding, I have to say, hit a bit differently now. I've been working from home for almost...

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I actually had a phone call with my father the other day and we talked about the virus and then he casually mentions how much its similar to death stranding (he saw me play some of it), and then said something that still makes me laugh "where is that guy from the walking dead to deliver us stuff?" Pretty fun conversation.

As for whether my impression of the game changed? Not really as i always loved it but it does make me appreaciate even more how relevant it ended up being.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I was door dashing and a dude I was dropping off to started telling me about death stranding, I haven't played it but I made sure to listen because he tipped well.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
I would say my feelings remain the same. I found it to be mostly a commentary of the global climate crisis but COVID-19 is definitely putting its themes in a different but similar context.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
no. it's weird seeing all the commentary on this, tbh, and the "i told you so" attitude a lot of the posts and jokes have are bizarre to me.

like yes it is a strange and eerie coincidence how no-contact delivery is a reality we're dealing with now, but the surface level aesthetics of death stranding weren't anyone's (at least that I saw) criticism of death stranding. the metaphor at the center of death stranding has nothing to do with pandemics; we have it straight from kojima that the situation in death stranding is representative of things he observed in the world around him already about technology and politics. i personally found it clumsy before, and i still find it clumsy now. i appreciate what he was going for but it wasn't for me.

personally i still feel MGS2 was far more prescient. like on the surface yeah it is pretty crazy that we're all self-isolating and delivery is becoming a frontline response kind of job, but it's just a coincidence. those things in death stranding were already a metaphor for the isolation people feel and have been feeling for a long time due to increasing reliance on technology and the mercenary nature of the gig economy.

now on the other hand i've been playing the original deus ex again recently and [a giant shepherd's crook appears to yank me away from the keyboard before i type a 20 paragraph essay]

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
I suppose, in the sense that I had never seen a disaster as bad as Death Stranding before but global pandemic is kinda worse so I guess that's something.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Not really.

Before all of this I thought it was an incredible and very haunting game. Still feel that way.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So...can anyone tell me which part of Death Stranding is relevant to our current situation and how COVID-19 maps out to some elements of the game?

Also how is our case of necessary social distancing to protect the elderly and immuno-compromised relevant to DS? We're sticking together to protect the people who need it the most. We act to save lives by staying at home. What's the point of comparison here?

Ometeotl

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So...can anyone tell me which part of Death Stranding is relevant to our current situation and how COVID-19 maps out to some elements of the game?

Also how is our case of necessary social distancing to protect the elderly and immuno-compromised relevant to DS? We're sticking together to protect the people who need it the most. We act to save lives by staying at home. What's the point of comparison here?
Deliveries are more popular and necessary. And, uh...

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
now on the other hand i've been playing the original deus ex again recently and [a giant shepherd's crook appears to yank me away from the keyboard before i type a 20 paragraph essay]

No. Please continue your original Deus Ex essay. :D

I love reading people's takes about the politics and themes behind it even if some of it are hidden behind popular conspiracy theories.

Tbh, it makes it a shame that Deus Ex prequels didn't hit the same landing. Well, HR tried to illustrate the sociopolitical and economic implications for augmentations. MD is a whole another can of worms and one I don't want to open that again.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
No. Please continue your original Deus Ex essay. :D

I love reading people's takes about the politics and themes behind it even if some of it are hidden behind popular conspiracy theories.

Tbh, it makes it a shame that Deus Ex prequels didn't hit the same landing. Well, HR tried to illustrate the sociopolitical and economic implications for augmentations. MD is a whole another can of worms and one I don't want to open that again.

yeah it's too bad. HR's story had some great stuff at its core but the first game really dialed back the conspiracy angle (the illuminati is still there and there are a few bits and pieces) but also i think a big part of the issue is that you simply couldn't make the original deus ex again post-9/11 and especially not now. in the late 90s it was easy to write conspiracy theory stuff off as just plain kooky; in that particular moment in time, it sort of felt weird and harmless. the conspiracy theories of today range from the goofy crank stuff ("5G is designed to fry your brain!") to the horrific and irresponsible (sandy hook deniers, etc), and that's without naming a laundry list of other uncomfortable topics. it's a lot less "fun" of a space to play around in now than it was in 2000.

i'm sure a skilled writer could do something with it, but there are way more third rails you run the risk of touching now than with area 51, black helicopters, mole people, and so on. the slightly tongue in cheek feel of DX1's presentation is probably lost to time. HR and MD are much more self-serious, probably because conspiracies stopped being funny weirdo territory to a wide audience.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding X Covid-19 will be the new Marvel / Star Wars / DBZ thread.
www.resetera.com

Death Stranding is now real life

I'm holed away in my apartment, working from home, stocked up with enough food and supplies to not have to go out for a while. I heard a knock at the door and made my way over to see who was there. I saw a package on the doormat, and hear the sound of a delivery guy's footsteps retreating down...
www.resetera.com

kogenius

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I am probably less prone to play it someday, especially if this topic appears in a new wording every 2 days....

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Sure I'll let a tragic global sanitary crisis affecting the lives of billions of people right now change my opinion on a boring ass game that stole dozen of hours from me when I could've spent that time doing more engrossing stuff like watching paint dry

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's all fun and games until delivery people get fucking addicted to delivery, and then start hoarding packages and supplies for reasons.

Oct 27, 2017
No. The game's politics and storytelling are still fucking terrible.

Hmmm, well at a stretch, there is a line, where a character criticizes a "mantra used to justify countless atrocities", in one of the game's interviews:

Bridget and I had discussions about the UCA flag. She wanted something that was based on the old American design. You know the one. Fifty stars and thirteen stripes—states and colonies. A classic symbol of national pride. The president wanted people to remember that pride as we went about our rebuilding process, but I thought differently. The old American flag was redesigned twenty-six times. Every time a new state joined the union, they had to add another star. It was easy to believe the country would keep on growing forever, end up taking over the world. Hell, most people believed just that. Good old manifest destiny—the mantra used to justify countless atrocities centuries ago. You can believe I told the president we damn well better not carry on that particular legacy...
deathstranding.fandom.com

Designing the UCA Flag

Designing the UCA Flag is an interview in Death Stranding. Bridget and I had discussions about the UCA flag. She wanted something that was based on the old American design. You know the one. Fifty stars and thirteen stripes—states and colonies. A classic symbol of national pride. The president...

And to make an attempt to connect with the present topic, perhaps we can think of various mantras that have been used to justify historical, persistent, as well as present, ongoing public health atrocities:

...The outbreak has instantly exposed the stark class divide in healthcare: those with good health plans who can also work or teach from home are comfortably isolated provided they follow prudent safeguards. Public employees and other groups of unionized workers with decent coverage will have to make difficult choices between income and protection. Meanwhile millions of low wage service workers, farm employees, uncovered contingent workers, the unemployed and the homeless will be thrown to the wolves... Overall family medical bills will soar at the same time that millions of workers are losing their jobs and their employer-provided insurance. Could there possibly be a stronger, more urgent case in favor of Medicare for All? ...Heart medicines, addictive tranquilizers and treatments for male impotence are profit leaders, not the defenses against hospital infections, emergent diseases and traditional tropical killers... The current pandemic expands the argument: Capitalist globalization now appears to be biologically unsustainable in the absence of a truly international public health infrastructure. But such an infrastructure will never exist until peoples' movements break the power of Big Pharma and for-profit healthcare...
www.thenation.com

Who Gets Forgotten in a Pandemic

The only certainty is that rich countries and rich classes will focus on saving themselves to the exclusion of international solidarity and medical aid.

I think Sam has a pretty consistent and growing opposition to the atrocities of the BB program (and to the mantras that are used to justify the program): even if it's not particularly articulate opposition, we see his opposition expressed in his emotional stances (toward his own BB, most prominently) and in his actions; as well as in the actions of the other characters, with whom Sam forms a bond and/or strengthens an existing bond especially Cliff, but also Deadman and Die Hardman, and to an extent Mama and eventually even Amelie, whose post-Hug actions are decidedly anti-atrocity, which in turn saves the day. But yeah, the politics aren't in any way deep, but rather straightforward and familiar:

...The Metal Gear Solid series enshrined his reputation as the father of a new genre, "stealth" action, based around sneaking and subterfuge rather than the run-and-gun gameplay favored by most action games then (and now). They're games in which the object is not to kill anyone, which goes against what long has been the essence of the action game. But Metal Gear Solid managed to make picking your way through enemy-infested territory immersive and fun. (Kojima has cast stealth partly as a political choice, saying that the harrowing stories of wartime Tokyo he heard from his parents led him to create a game that emphasized nonviolence.)...
www.nytimes.com

Hideo Kojima’s Strange, Unforgettable Video-Game Worlds (Published 2020)

He’s an auteur whose bizarre creations — the Metal Gear Solid series and, most recently, Death Stranding — have become huge blockbusters. Why do gamers find them so captivating?

[Death Stranding - What it All Meant (Youtube) / Timestamp 31m45s] ...For of course, in a story about the value of connections, death is the ultimate antagonist; the definitive way to break a connection. This is also reflected in the gameplay. During these warzone battles, the game most resembles a typical shooter game, but the experience is specifically framed as tragic, and pointless. In fact, back in the real world, taking a life is an act of extreme consequence. You are given lethal weapons, but if you actually use one towards that purpose, you have to make sure you take the body up to an incinerator before the timer ends and you trigger a voidout. The interesting thing is that while it doesn't really change the gameplay mechanics as you can still shoot and disable enemies with non-lethal force, it does reframe it. It makes you reflect on the violence that is so often committed in others games. Something similar can be found in the way you fight BT's as the weapons you get to battle them also drain your own blood. Again, it's a simple subversion of a familiar gameplay mechanic, but it does add the suggestion that every time you break a connection, you also sacrifice a little part of yourself, a point that is emphasized once you get a special...

He loved travel shows in particular, which taught him about the world outside Japan. Throughout our interview, Kojima expressed a desire for Death Stranding to offer a similarly edifying experience. He hoped Sam's journey of reconnection might offer players a metaphor with which to understand a world he described as "coming apart." "It's not just America, but the problem with the E.U. in Europe, or the actual world, connected by the internet, where people are very lonely," he said... "You lose this feeling of solitude when you find out there's the same people all over the world," Kojima said. "You aren't alone." I gathered that Kojima imagined this as a more positive alternative to the embattled feeling he gets from the internet. "I go on the internet — it's all connected, and everyone is battling each other," he said. "I wish people would use the technology in a different way.. "....create new bonds or 'Strands' with other players around the globe. Through your experience playing the game, I hope you'll come to understand the [importance] of forging connections with others."
www.nytimes.com

Hideo Kojima’s Strange, Unforgettable Video-Game Worlds (Published 2020)

He’s an auteur whose bizarre creations — the Metal Gear Solid series and, most recently, Death Stranding — have become huge blockbusters. Why do gamers find them so captivating?

...The idea to have the game have no negative outlet is one of the best [organizing] concepts here. When you're focused on actually playing the game and a lot of other peoples' work saves your bacon, you really do feel a weird closeness with random people playing the game. It may make the game easier, but thanks to the flexibility with which everyone has in how they want to tackle the game, players can really have exactly the kind of experience they want to have with this one.