• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got the email that my school is going online-only for the next 3 weeks starting Monday.

Not the worst way to end my time in academia.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
We were told at noon today to not come to the office/warehouse unless we absolutely needed to, and to eliminate any unnecessary sales calls. So probably for the next week I'll be mostly working from home.

Jan 4, 2018
I work for Wal-Mart's Online Grocery department so we've just been getting busier and busier as people opt to do their grocery shopping from their phone and have it brought out to them instead of going inside. We don't really have a solution to that other than to try our best. No schedule changes yet.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not yet, but we can already work from home pretty easy. All of our dev staff already works off a laptop plugged into a dock station. So we can just bring our laptops home and see how it goes.

We got a company wide email telling us this afternoon to bring our laptops home and try them out as a work from home test run. Then if you have any issues to bring it up tomorrow. Feels like they are planning for the inevitable.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
I'm still at work but all the students have been at home for the past 2 weeks so I have nothing but free time. Been catching on this little-known book series called Harry Potter. It's not bad.

Jabronium

Oct 26, 2017
Got my official "work from home for at least the next 30 days" note so no pants for me for the foreseeable future.

Tamerlane

Oct 27, 2017
My school's Dean just notified us through email that the remainder of class material is going to be delivered online (except for clinical work).

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I work a part-time retail job so I'm curious if anything's going to change in the coming days/weeks.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A Canadian university (U Western) has apparently made the move to online classes- they're the first, far as I'm aware.

I'm in University of Toronto, and the school's starting to make professors prepare for giving online lectures.

I was also just told that it's possible students on residence will be forced to move out, in the case of a full campus shutdown. My RA said she'd get clarification.

I'm international, so that is concerning.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
School just announced today that they'll be moving the rest of the semester over to online courses. I'm not too bummed about it because it was the right thing to do. Also, I get to save money on gas and cruise on out because it's my last semester.

Oct 27, 2017
Project manager at an ISP here. I was always able to work from home, but they officially asked all of us to go home. They sent as many people as they could home. Even the folks without laptops were sent home with desktop computers.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i am software dev, I can easily work from home. Tomorrow is mandatory wfh for the entire team, they are stress testing the vpn.

If this virus get's serious in Toronto, I won't leave the house

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
I work in the medical field for a very large company. There is no working from home we are on the front line in fight this. What has changed is the way we see this virus and how we are dealing with it. We have moved from containment and mandatory 14 isolation. Now they will judge if you had enough contact with a patient and need to be sent home. Also routine services will be limited and people at doors to check patients as they come in. We are getting ready for a possible surge of people now to come in. For me its not if but when I get the virus I'm afraid to say.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My job hasn't even addressed it at all yet. If it gets too bad I'm not sure what happens. Either I'm out of work temporarily as I can't do the job at home or maybe I'd be the only one going to the office (I need to be there but others might be able to get set up at home).

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Toronto but we haven't been ordered to WFH yet.

Everyone expects it within the week though, bunch of other companies already are.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Well I work in a warehouse so I can't from home, but I would guess that if it got that bad in NYC, they'd close the place and I won't get paid.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Canada (Québec) here. I'm finishing my masters in Architecture this year, and we have a big exhibition at the end of the semester showcasing our master thesis. Students (including myself) have been working our asses off for a big auction where we sell our own creations (mostly furnitures, home objects and stuff like that), with around 1K people and roughly 35K$ in play. It was supposed to be tomorrow night. We had to cancel it today. Everything is already in place at the venue we're renting (a museum).

We wanna cry. At this point our exhibition will surely be cancelled too, considering it's in 2 months. Other architecture schools already has cancelled theirs. All that work for nothing.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Company was dragging its feet on working from home for our office but once the building management notified us that someone of a different floor was confirmed to be infected with coronavirus (though he hadn't been in the building in a week) we were quickly notified that we were to work from home.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
It hasn't yet, but since I have the capability it's only a matter of time until they tell us to do so. I have heard scuttlebutt around the office, but I think they are waiting until Idaho finally confirms its first case to pull the trigger.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Spoke too soon. We're on strongly recommended WFH now for all North America and Europe offices.

Interestingly enough, EA Shanghai is okay to go back to the office now, so I guess the situation in China has improved tremendously.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Working my first day from home tomorrow. I still have to go into the office occasionally but it shouldn't be a problem when almost everyone else will be home.

Oct 30, 2017
Metro Atlanta, Georgia here, and most schools are closed now. The parent company that I work at is piloting a WFH policy in some trial sites, so for us we're still finding out when we're going to WFH soon.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I work at a university. It was announced yesterday that we're going to be teaching the vast majority of courses remotely until summer, but many staff/faculty will still be on campus, particularly in "operationally critical" departments. I'll be in the office two or three days a week, working remotely for the others.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, we're WFH for the foreseeable future. "Indefinitely" was the word our leadership used.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're starting the voluntary work from home procedure for all our Washington offices and higher ups in every department are gonna have a meeting to decide either to have all offices for PNW closed and work from home or continue to have voluntary work from home and allow people to work at the offices if they want to.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
My job has always had a work from home policy, so it wouldn't be anything different from the norm, outside of having everyone in the office doing it.

On that note, we started doing stress tests on our system to be able to handle everyone working from home/remotely. We're still business as usual, otherwise.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Yep. Just happened today, office is shutting down and everybody is working from home for the foreseeable future.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
yes, work from home, daughter is school from home too starting next week until end of semester

it is all surreal

Contagion, the movie