• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
I think it's about to happen at my place, from what I heard and considering what's going on in public places.

I am the main IT support guy at the office and just today I was making a bet with my colleague about going in tomorrow and working from home come Monday. We were just told to prioritize VPN petitions, remote services, portable device setups and whatnot.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you find that kind of chair comfortable for long stretches? Looking for something lower profile than the massive office chairs out there for my small home office. Working remote starting next week.

I've only ever done gaming sessions on it, so I'm not quite sure. It hasn't been an issue during a raid on WoW for example, but I haven't been sitting there 8 hours straight. We'll see.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
We got the email yesterday from Oregon State that some classes will switch online for the final and it happened except for one class. Our professor is very stubborn. Will see what he does since the school will require some measure of distancing even during exams(makes it unpractical for large class).

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Yep... Full scale WFH as of today... But some people started earlier in the week..

For me personally... Working using VPN, slack, teams, Skype, email, jira, and aws vms it's been easy to do

tuta

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Starting monday, my workplace will be divided into 2 teams: one for odd days, one for even days.
I/All of us could work all the time from home, seems a little strange to me.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I've been working from home for almost 3 weeks now. Can't really complain, I'm near the outbreak area in Italy and 99% of my job can be done remotely so I'm among the lucky ones. I get up at 8:30 instead of 6:30 and I browse Era while working.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully I already work from home, but my company is also appearing to shift the folks who aren't to a WFH system.

Oct 25, 2017
My company is still doing the wait and see approach and is "Preparing to test by sending 25% of our workforce to work from home next week".

That's going to change real quick considering we just had two confirmed cases in my county today.

Last edited:

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
My classes were just canceled. Gonna be moving to online instruction on the 20th. Not sure how long it's gonna last.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My school cancelled all optional events but classes et cetera are progressing as usual.

I am not too bothered as no case of local transmission has been confirmed near me yet.

Oct 30, 2017
Well, I work in a school and where I live the schools has shutdown for the entire month of March ( so far ) and the whole country basically has shut down everything else yesterday as well.

Rochet

May 13, 2018
Well, I work in a school and where I live the schools has shutdown for the entire month of March ( so far ) and the whole country basically has shut down everything else yesterday as well.

Mountgomery County PA, all schools closed, ymca, and just got a notice that my daycare lifespan is closing tomorrow for 2 weeks. Luckily my wife can work from home but I can't.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
All my classes are done remotely through VC with Spring Break coming in. However I don't think I'm completely safe. Both my Aunt and Uncle both work int he medical and health field in some fashion.
I'm hoping it's just another bug but lately I've been feeling a bit icky in the mornings and some mild coughing.
Not going to worry about it. Again it's probably just some general bug.

Velguarder

Jan 10, 2020
The bank I work for is shutting down all branches, but keeping the drive-throughs open. IT staff is still waiting for the go-ahead, but we're staged and ready.

I'm looking forward to working on my backlog.

Mountgomery County PA, all schools closed, ymca, and just got a notice that my daycare lifespan is closing tomorrow for 2 weeks. Luckily my wife can work from home but I can't.

Howdy, neighbor!

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Nope. I live in MS and we got our first confirmed yesterday but as of 30 minutes ago, we are still scheduled to return to class in person next Monday. Not too happy about it and I do not expect the governor will step in to do shit.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we've started to. I'm going to start working from home most days a week but for now we're still supposed to come in unless we feel sick.

(Software engineer, can work remote flawlessly)

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My location is on optional WFH, but my studio GM highly encourage us to do it, so we're mostly at home. The on-site daycare remains open, so that's nice.

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Wake county NC But Boston based company. We just got an email work remote until 2nd week in April. my brothers company is work remotely all next week.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
All schools and universities/colleges are shut down as of today.
My college said they would move on to online studying but we never had those things before so I'm not sure how quickly they'll manage to come up with aan infrastructure in order to do that.
I'd rather they just cancel school for 3-4 weeks until (hopefully) the situation becomes manageable.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
My manager approved work from home for Wednesday, but it was wasn't officially announced. The end of the day Wednesday my work announced a Voluntary WFH plan. Offices are open but I imagine most everyone is home. This is in Central NJ.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Nope. I live in MS and we got our first confirmed yesterday but as of 30 minutes ago, we are still scheduled to return to class in person next Monday. Not too happy about it and I do not expect the governor will step in to do shit.

just to follow up on this, our governor is currently in Barcelona for one of his daughter's soccer games and is only coming back early because of the travel ban. The article specified he's keeping staff updated about his trip while they update him on matters going on in the US

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Work at a call center. They've been quietly implementing and planning for the eventuality of having us work from home due to the virus and I'm hoping they'll just say fuckit and flip the switch before someone comes to work sick and screws us all over

Also hoping that once the virus issue is resolved that they'll let us (or at least some of us) continue to work from home.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Update from my earlier post: classes are now dismissed until 23-24/03, with the chance of it being extended until April.

Same for work, people here will now be able to stay home.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
-Software company that mainly works with public schools
-A lot of districts are closing so business is starting to ramp down for us even moreso than it would have for spring break
-Our employees that travel out to school districts were informed today not to come back in the office and just WFH
-Worst case scenario though we have plenty of work that doesn't require us to interface with clients (documentation, working on upgrades and bug fixes, training)
-I'm doing IT stuff now too in addition to my normal position so there should be plenty for me to do and from home if needed
-With a mostly empty office it should be somewhat safe for me to hang around to do things I need to be here for

Most people here aren't very concerned though a lot of them are whining about things I think are a bit ridiculous and non-essential. A lot of them aren't really grasping the enormity of the situation globally and the risks etc and it's getting pretty annoying.

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an independent claims adjuster. WFH on days I'm not out on inspections, but claims happen, so I need to go on inspections where I'm usually meeting w/ random people.

Our employer has cancelled all non-essential travel, and online conferences only for the next 30 days. The entire company is WFH next Wednesday to test the capabilities of their systems. So for now, nothing's really changed for me.

Canoli316

Jan 19, 2018
I work at a resort, Marriott I will call it, and the robots that are my superiors have been giving us the "we're monitoring the situation/CDC" type answers. So I'm not really sure what's happening. As far as I know, it's business as usual. Any one else work for a resort/hotel?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
My company just sent out the mandatory WFH for all US employees until the 27th. Looks like I'm buying a monitor then

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
My work just did an all-hands "stress test" of the network by everyone who can work from home doing so today. Probably going to make it indefinite soon.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Really seems like we're entering the peak of this arent we?

Did u guys do any shopping? I imagine stores like costco must be insane

Oct 27, 2017
Just got the word that we all are working from home. Not much difference to me as I only went into the office one day a week anyhow, but it's still pretty crazy.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
IT has been going around giving employees laptops if they haven't already been issued one. That and, despite the fact that there are dozens of people in the HQ office today, our quarterly meeting was phone-in from your desk instead of go to a conference room. So it certainly seems like we're moving towards the "WFH until notified" model. But until it actually gets specified, business as usual it seems.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No working from home for me and no chance they'll give sick pay but I'm in a privileged position where that won't have a horrible consequence for me. My coworkers are likely fucked though.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
WHAT THE HELL

Our Minister of National Education this morning : "We are not even thinking about the possibility of shutting down the schools."

Our President this evening: "All primary schools, middle schools, high schools and universities are shutting down, starting Monday."

That's crazy, I was surprised.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I have to print 800,000 page packets for my students "just in case".

They don't do their homework when they're here.

Lastbroadcast

Jul 6, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I work at a university in Australia. We've all been given working from home forms and have been told to take our laptops home with us just in case the health authorities or the university council pulls the pin.

We're not going home yet but I don't think it'll be too much longer.

Kompis

Oct 27, 2017
Working from home this whole week except for monday. Still go to the gym however; which are somehow still open. Province where I live, is where the outbreak is the biggest in The Netherlands. Someone in my small town has also been diagnosed with Corona sadly, but luckily not someone who is very old, so she should be ok.
Gyms are starting to close down here in Sweden. I wouldn't go to a gym at this time, it will surely be a hot spot for disease spread.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Not myself cuz I already work at home, but my roomie attends school and works at a hotel. Classes are switching to online for at least the next few weeks of the upcoming semester and his hotel has had over 100 cancellations. The bosses there are having a meeting about what to do going forward; supposedly another hotel in the area has just closed or is planning to close for the next few weeks, so same might happen with his.

Eleriu

The Fallen - Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My college is remaining open for now. There is talk of moving classes online which there are going to be workshops held next week to prepare for if it comes to that.

Nov 23, 2017
Central Valley California. Some of the CSU's and UC's closed down last week when cases showed up in the area. Now, our campus has closed as well starting Monday and will last all the way till the end of the semester. While this area has only seen one or two cases so far, many people here commute to work in the Bay Area and makes it that much easier for it to hit the Valley pretty fast.

Most of my classes are easily enough converted, but my GIS class is going to be a challenge. Many students don't have a computer powerful enough to run ArcGIS or the internet access to do the work. There's many other classes with labs and field studies and work that really needs to be done on campus with an instructor. It's easy enough to think that students can get an incomplete or something, but there's also many graduating or on a stipulation of passing all classes. My bf has a Pell Grant extension that requires he can only take the classes need for his degree and cannot get an Incomplete. Not to mention, we're only in week 7 and many of us have paid nearly $200 for a semester parking pass. I want to be adaptable to this, but it really has many more questions and problems than just staying home for a couple of weeks.

Last year, the campus also closed due to smoke/air quality from the fires. But it was a temporary thing and all instructions were cancelled including online classes to make things fair for every one.