• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Not yet, but I feel that it's only a matter of time. I'll likely switch to commuting by bike rather than public transit until that happens.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I work for a silicon valley tech company with around 300 people in one building, and starting this week it was recommended, but not mandated, that people work from home who have the ability to do so. This not only lowered chances of any one person having a chance of spreading a disease throughout the company, but it made it easier for the company to clean and disinfect surfaces that people regularly touch, like door handles and desks. From what I've seen when I go in, a large number of people took them up on it (for me I've been working half-day from home, half-day at work, because some things are a lot easier to do at work).

They also are keeping track of who comes into work, so that if someone does get sick, they'll know who was present at work when that person was.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
The school district that I sub for is still operating normally, despite there being (currently) 5 known cases of COVID locally. Bet that'll change when it's a student who becomes infected and not just some country-club senior, though.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an electrician, so no, and it probably won't. The sites I work on are small enough that I doubt it will, unless there's some directive from the owners.

I don't have paid vacation or sick days either.

Jan 29, 2018
My company is starting a 1-2 week "test" of work from home for my department starting today. The school my wife teaches at is still open, but they're discussing contingencies.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Yes...schools near us are closing..our district is right at the brink..doing everything but closing (no conferences, no activities etc). I already had worked from home, so this hasn't changed any of that.

Our daycare provider says she will stay open until the governor tells her to close or that we have a suspected case in the room.

Oct 25, 2017
I travel a lot for work and as soon as I got back from my last mission overseas I was asked to telework for 14 days lmao. So that's where i've been this whole week.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I already worked from home 3 days a week (and have for years), and now we're working at home 5 days a week at least until 3/28, and then we see what happens at that point.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
CEO just sent an email yesterday saying two of the buildings in the city have 2 confirmed positive people so those two buildings will be working from home while they disinfect the entire buildings.

My building is directly in Time Square but we're still required to come in unless if you're feeling symptoms.

They just issued an email last night saying this Friday the entire building will be running a "Work From Home" test for the day. No one is gonna be coming in and will be working from home for the day. I think we have to come back in on Monday though. I feel it's only a matter of time before we're all just working from home though. I would hope so..

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not yet, but we can already work from home pretty easy. All of our dev staff already works off a laptop plugged into a dock station. So we can just bring our laptops home and see how it goes.

Oct 27, 2017
My kids school district is shutting down on Monday for a month. Didn't say anything about "attending" school from home even though all the students have Chrome laptops.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The local colleges are extending spring breaks. My workplace is a lost cause though, the 'set in their ways' thinking of the higher ups means unless people start dying we have to use our own time to leave.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
There's public schools and colleges around here (NoVA) that have closed or are going online for a few weeks. We didn't get much snow in this area this winter, so they have the spare days.

As for my workplace, there isn't really anything that we can do from home. An announcement that went out yesterday stated that in the event of closure, we can start banking extra time or make up the time taken off. Pretty much stuck to using PTO or taking LWOP unless you make up the time, which will really suck.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
Son is coming home from Temple University this weekend. We've also pulled our 1st grader out of school.

Last edited:

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Not yet for my workplace even though cases are getting closer. We get one WFH day a week so it should be easy to transfer to full WFH. Literally all the stuff we do can be done from home remotely anyway.

People here feel that management is just waiting until there's an infected employee. Basically when it's too late lol I feel like this isn't the time for a "let's wait and see" approach.

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
My work issued a survey late last week to ascertain who can work from home, but no mention of anything since. Honestly feels like it'd be a last resort, but it feels inevitable that someone at work will become infected given the number of employees in the building and I'm getting increasing nervous (I'm on immunosupression medication).

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, got the email yesterday. Basically every college in the state of Massachusetts is shutting down

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yup, we've been starting to shut things down such as large events at the university I work for. Just got word now that we're also shutting down daily campus visits, employee domestic/international travel for admissions, etc. I already work from home, but the rest of the office is going to be getting up to speed on how to work from home and seeing what resources are needed there.

This is a large university in Ohio.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I already work 100% remote so it hasn't really made a difference to me. My company has encouraged, but not required, the office folks to WFH

It has certainly made it hard to get groceries though

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
We were all sent home this week to work from home. I am in Norway which just now shut down most things until minimum the 26th, so I don't see us returning for some time. Things have ramped up hard this week.

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Not enough confirmed infections in Brazil yet. But a lot of people travel abroad all the time in my workplace, so it should be a matter of time.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Not yet. I work for a NPO with about 60 staff in DC and typically we follow the fed's guidance for closures (OPM, for those in the know). OPM hasn't called shit yet, so I guess we aren't calling shit either for now? They're frantically trying to get the org ready for all-staff teleworking, so I appreciate that there's a sense that it's inevitable at this point, however half of us, myself included, already do regular remote work and are ready to go. I understand they want to keep a guise of fairness, but coronavirus doesn't give a shit about fairness; those of us who are telework ready should be doing so already. I know it sucks for our staff who aren't set up yet, but keeping us all here does nothing for health safety even if it looks better for the office politics.

Idk, it feels like they're hoping to drag this out for a few weeks so they can get like 30 people laptops and figure out their remote protocols, but I feel like we have maybe days before OPM calls it. Frankly, once OPM says its remote time I'm putting my foot down at that point if they're still not letting us full-time remote. I have three weeks of sick leave and I'll exhaust them instead of working remotely if they aren't going to let me.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
There's lots of talk about it and we suspect that "nonessential" personnel i.e. bosses will be working from home next week.

But we're considered essential to business operations so we just get to catch the virus and pass it amongst ourselves.

Grugga Pug

Nov 5, 2017
Yep. My college has transitioned to all online courses. This is my final year before graduation, so it's pretty surreal thinking yesterday was my last "real" day of school, ever.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I work in Manhattan and my workplace was always really encouraging of working from home (like a lot of the office doesn't even come on Fridays)

My managers was extra-encouraging in saying we can work from home whenever we want or need to due to the virus. But...the company hasn't moved entirely remotely yet, which is surprising since we're right in Midtown and everyone takes the trains or other mass transit

shotopunx

Nov 21, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Ireland shutting down for the month but my government office is staying open. However, all the staff have just left as they have the option to work from home, but unfortunately I don't.

Oct 27, 2017
Kid's school just announced closing indefinitely after today, after the surrounding districts closed because of an outbreak in the county. Another patient at a local hospital just tested positive, and was sent home.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I work in retail so fuuuuuuck no

My closest family member works in a school and the cunts in charge aren't closing them either

It's only a matter of time before I or someone else in my family gets it. Then we're fucked, really.

I am so goddamn scared.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I expect my industry to go into a near freeze, real estate. We're all used to having slow times. When this eventually gets all worked out, it's going to be a war zone out there among the REALTORS. I'm still calling my database and reaching out to FSBOs, they're mostly citing covid-19 as why they would not like to meet. Just trying to stay fresh in their minds.

Mrs. Cotton works from home, so business as normal for her.

Youngster Cotton is home schooled, and hates to go out (unless it's to the movies), so the only thing different for him is no movie theater for a few months (or more).

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I've been getting regular emails saying our company may have everyone in our building that is able to work from home to do so. They are monitoring the situation. Since I already work from home at least 50% of the work week it's not much of a change for me.

CEO just sent an email yesterday saying two of the buildings in the city have 2 confirmed positive people so those two buildings will be working from home while they disinfect the entire buildings.

My building is directly in Time Square but we're still required to come in unless if you're feeling symptoms.

They just issued an email last night saying this Friday the entire building will be running a "Work From Home" test for the day. No one is gonna be coming in and will be working from home for the day. I think we have to come back in on Monday though. I feel it's only a matter of time before we're all just working from home though. I would hope so..
I just got a call from a co-worker saying the same thing for us on Friday. I suspect checking people's RSA tokens work is one of the reasons.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Work has been issuing Laptops and those people can work from home.

I haven't received a laptop and it looks like I won't get one. So I don't know what is happening.

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
Not yet, but they're frantically trying to see how many people they can get set up to be WFH-capable by Friday. As more and more cases in DFW pop up I would not be entirely shocked if we made the jump soon.

It's funny, because the ability to work from home was this carrot on a stick that my higherups would always dangle over us but never let us have, and now thanks to the virus, we will.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably a pretty awkward time to start a new job. My last day at my current work is very soon and they haven't given a single damn about the virus (no confirmed cases in my town yet, I guess).

New job is willing to send everyone to work from home so the work culture is vastly different and I'm gonna love it.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I'm at a University in a city without any recent COVID-19 cases, so all they've done is made changes to the travel policy. It sucks for any students that were doing a summer internship in another country though, that shit has been cancelled.

If COVID19 rolls in and causes cancellations to my job, I can do the job from home so it won't be a vacation or anything.

Deleted member 36105

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
We are evacuating. I'm staying here as long as I'm required. Then work from home, and my home is not a great place for working

D23

Oct 25, 2017
yep. WFH until further noticed and all public schools/university has been moved to online learning

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Our company is doing a widespread testrun to have everyone work from home tomorrow. We are expected to be back in office on monday, so I really don't see the point then .I know it'll be fine working from home, we have a good infrastructure for that.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I will say that anyone that is 100% WFH due to the virus, please thank your IT teams when you're back! Chances are they had to do some serious legwork to make sure the entire org can access things remotely.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Yes, since yesterday. And it's a good thing too. We have one home office day per week anyway, all the meetings always have a Skype or Teams link, so my whole company is equipped for the adjustment without having to change anything.

We'll be working from home until at least the 3rd of April, but I've heard rumblings the higher ups have already prepped until June

EDIT: We also only need VPN for a select few systems (like time logging for some reason), so nothing really has to be scaled up IT wise I think

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Yeah my company moved to fully WFH on the 1st of March(UK Based) they just didn't want to take any chances, we have one day a month where the office is closed(as part of BCP testing) and all 300 odd employees work from home anyway so it's pretty seamless at the moment.

So far so good, the hardest thing so far is convincing clients that our usual face to face meetings are moving to WebEx for the foreseeable future.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Several of our locations around the country have already switched to "work at home" for the rest of the month, and we've been getting a ton of emails that are prepping us to do the same soon.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
My job has eliminated all large meetings and individual travel now has to be approved by senior management on a case by case basis.

Next step is to completely eliminate non-essential travel and everyone works from home (this likely will happen soon).

Our kids' school is still going but cancelled all large gatherings, mainly because there's only one confirmed case in the area and it's far away.

Nov 11, 2017
I work in a major vfx studio and am working on a certain sci-fi blockbuster due out end of this year. We can't work from home due to security risks, can't have that content over home networks. Some depts such as HR and finances could shift to work from home though.

We have reshoots happening in a few months... I am really wondering if those have to be delayed. And then I wonder what that means for the films release.