• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Capcom have now found the best balance for RE

• Yes

Votes: 574 80.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 7.3%
  • I didn’t like RE2

Votes: 12 1.7%
  • I prefer FP like 7

Votes: 74 10.4%

• Total voters

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Where's the option for preferring the gameplay of RE4/5?

I'm almost done with my B side campaign in 2, and while it's been ridiculously challenging and occasionally frustrating, I've been loving it, and can't wait for more entries as challenging, gorgeous, and terrifying as this.

That said, with RE5 being my favorite co-op game of all time, and RE6 being a sloppy mess, there's been a void in my co-op soul since 2009, and I'd really love Capcom to set two studios up CoD style to release one RE2-esque game one year, and a co-op RE5-esque one in the off year.

There is no one single perfect RE formula, and I really miss the satisfying [headshot, stagger enemy, knock them over, knife them to death] flow of RE4 and 5, it was always satisfying for me and never got old.

Here's hoping to more like them, and no more like RE6.

As for RE7, it was a really fun experience, but first-person RE wasn't ideal for me. I love the character designs, personalities and costumes in RE games, as well as the combos and animations, and all of that is basically lost in the first person.
Check my post above lol I'm with you save for I loved 7 in first person. I didn't mention RE4 but it is my GOAT but I feel RE5 improved on the combat formula thus why I spoke mostly of that.

Kalamour

Oct 25, 2017
I love both RE7 and RE2, but I agree that while RE7 has higher highs, RE2 is more consistent. I don't care which formula they follow, I just hope this team keeps on surprising us (and I totally trust them to do that).

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Where's the option for preferring the gameplay of RE4/5?

I'm almost done with my B side campaign in 2, and while it's been ridiculously challenging and occasionally frustrating, I've been loving it, and can't wait for more entries as challenging, gorgeous, and terrifying as this.

That said, with RE5 being my favorite co-op game of all time, and RE6 being a sloppy mess, there's been a void in my co-op soul since 2009, and I'd really love Capcom to set two studios up CoD style to release one RE2-esque game one year, and a co-op RE5-esque one in the off year.

There is no one single perfect RE formula, and I really miss the satisfying [headshot, stagger enemy, knock them over, knife them to death] flow of RE4 and 5, it was always satisfying for me and never got old.

Here's hoping to more like them, and no more like RE6.

As for RE7, it was a really fun experience, but first-person RE wasn't ideal for me. I love the character designs, personalities and costumes in RE games, as well as the combos and animations, and all of that is basically lost in the first person.
Leave the co-op out there RE series. Bring back Dino Crisis and put it in there.

destructible limb system?????

RE2make zombies are fully destructible. Blue their head off to kill them, or shoot any of their limbs (and and legs) and they fall off, which makes them easier to avoid.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
The hope now for more action-oriented titles seems to be lying with Spinoffs. If we ever see them again. You'd think we'd be hearing about a Rev 3 by now...

Yeah, I'd be fine with that. That said, Revelations 2 as a co-op experience paled immensely in comparison with RE5. RE5 felt like a grand adventure with very satisfying combat with epic battles and setpieces, while Revelations 2 felt like a budget co-op experience where the battles mainly served as unsatisfying, run-of-the-mill filler to drive the story to the next cutscene. Also, the forced split screen for co-op made the game really hard to feel immersed in. I wish it had online co-op.

Oct 26, 2017
destructible limb system?????
ezgif-5-6e89997adf4d.gif

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I really love RE7 and hope RE8 will be similar, maybe with some harder puzzles and more enemey variety.

RE2 remake is great, but the combat doesn't feel very good to me. Also I found RE7 (up unitl the ship) way more atmospheric than RE2remake.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like them to keep trying new things but the map design sensibility should carry over. Also, please stay away from aggressive dynamic difficulty.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
4 was better, but they're getting close.

RE2 Remake is a much less refined game than 4, with far fewer creative solutions available for each encounter and too much of the enemy stats and hit reactions left to RNG.

Wow, this is the perfect reply that speaks to me. I think both types of RE work well, and I hope that RE8 goes back to the RE4/RE5 formula that many of us enjoy.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently savoring RE2 between binging on Smash Ultimate. Both games are dreams come true for me.

It seems like Capcom has hit on a formula with the RE2 remake that reconciles all of the disparate gameplay approaches of the series.

For the record, I love both old-school and new-school RE (RE6 included). But RE2 brings it all together in a well-balanced way.

You can move and shoot smoothly like in the action RE titles. You also have the increased spatial awareness that comes with an over-the-shoulder third-person view.

But at the same time, you have to stand your ground to be accurate with your shots; your ammo is extremely limited; your enemies are resilient and deadly; and the places where you encounter them are dark and claustrophobic, making them a genuine threat as you decide whether to expend precious bullets — downing and dismembering them so they're less of a threat, or if you're lucky killing them outright — or whether to risk it and try squeezing past them, knowing they'll still be shambling about when you inevitably return later.

You also have the return to a maze-like map that you progressively unravel as you backtrack and solve puzzles to obtain key items — something RE7 also did, but here the puzzles are plentiful and consistently fun.

I haven't finished RE2 yet, but halfway through Leon's campaign, it's quite promising so far.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2, the game that just came out. It's a remake of Resident Evil 2 from 1998

People call it REmake (RE as in Resident Evil) because that's what the Resident Evil remake's nickname was. Hence, RE-make 2

Just found this sentence in OP weird:

Fast forward to RE2, after the reveal I was disappointed that it wasn't remake2. But having played it now it's the best game Capcom have made. I think it has now surpassed remake and street fighter 2 as Capcom best work.

I read it as after CapCom revealed RE2, OP was dissapointed it wasn't RE2 Remake.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
6 is the best resident evil ever strictly from masterwork game controls. They're DEFINITELY saving that control scheme for 8 or a spin-off or something.

Re2 wins over 6 because of T-Virus zombies. Now t-Virus zombies AND tactical rolling/sliding, maybe quick shots ? [chef's kiss]
yeah.. no, thanks.

REmake 2 misses some defensive mechanisms, but go away with that over top stuff and leave it for games like Vanquish.
really missed the ability to shake of zombies and to crush their skulls, when they grab your legs.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just found this sentence in OP weird:

I read it as after CapCom revealed RE2, OP was dissapointed it wasn't RE2 Remake.

Ohhhhh

I think he meant "ReMake2" as in the same vein of the original ReMake where it's the traditional static camera and gameplay, and not the new gameplay (although in effect the ways the combat is balanced it's practically tank controls because if you move while aiming you're gonna have a hard time dealing damage or even hitting zombies effectively)

6 is the best resident evil ever strictly from masterwork game controls. They're DEFINITELY saving that control scheme for 8 or a spin-off or something.

Re2 wins over 6 because of T-Virus zombies. Now t-Virus zombies AND tactical rolling/sliding, maybe quick shots ? [chef's kiss]

no

no more action heros for Resident Evil

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah.. no, thanks.

REmake 2 misses some defensive mechanisms, but go away with that over top stuff and leave it for games like Vanquish.
really missed the ability to shake of zombies and to crush their skulls, when they grab your legs.

remake 2 is stupid with things like, "oh if i dont have a knife or a granade i wont defend myself and let the zombie bite me in the neck" it is fucking stupid, you should be able to shake the zombie, but capcom is afraid of using QTE anymore because of RE6

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
No, they're going to continue to tweak the presentation to fit their vision of each game on a case-by-case basis. It's a big reason why the series continues to be so vital after all these years.

Hellsing321

Oct 30, 2017
I would have liked them to give us a few more options to deal with downed enemies like in RE4 rather than just running in a slashing with a knife(if you had one). I understand why they don't have Leon suplexing fools in this one but just some more melee options would be great to have.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i think it is too oldschool in the combat and movement department...you have "shoot", "stab", "quick turn" and "run" (which is more like jogging). could need a good dodge move or a slide or whatever, it is too barebones.

there just isn´t enough exciting gameplay. you really can feel that under the shiny graphics there is an old game, it feels very dated in 2019. game is also very linear and sometimes feels like it is on rails.

so no, i don´t think this is the perfect formula for further Resident Evil entries. it is fun to go back in a oldschool way but please do not take this style of gameplay forward.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Leave the co-op out there RE series. Bring back Dino Crisis and put it in there.

Why? Most RE games are about partners, even single player ones. They can't keep on coming up with stupid reasons to split them up at every turn. Hell, Leon and Claire would have been together in RE2 almost the entire time if the game were more realistic, because many of the hurdles that kept them apart weren't believable or realistic to begin with. At one point, they separate because of a locked door that Leon gets the key to open a single minute later, yet she's nowhere to be found after that.

Just because you didn't like the co-op doesn't mean that there isn't great demand for it. Last I checked, RE5 is the best selling RE ever. Capcom set the co-op, story-driven, action/adventure bar very high high with RE5, and it hasn't been touched by anything since by any developer, as far as I'm concerned.

People want and deserve more co-op RE, and I really hope Capcom delivers.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE2make is exactly how it should be done. It's modern while still true to the OG Resident Evil experience. Just imagine a brand new game designed around what they've done here.

The action style introduced in RE4 was good. But it's no longer special as a number of games have taken influence from it.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Why? Most RE games are about partners, even single player ones. They can't keep on coming up with stupid reasons to split them up at every turn. Hell, Leon and Claire would have been together in RE2 almost the entire time if the game were more realistic, because many of the hurdles that kept them apart weren't believable or realistic to begin with. Hell, at one point, they separate because of a locked door that Leon gets the key to open a single minute later, yet she's nowhere to be found after that.

Just because you didn't like the co-op doesn't mean that there isn't great demand for it. Hell, last I checked, RE5 is the best selling RE ever. Capcom set the co-op, story-driven, action/adventure bar very high high with RE5, and it hasn't been touched by anything since by any developer, as far as I'm concerned.

People want and deserve more co-op RE, and I really hope Capcom delivers.
Resident Evil games have had two protagonists, but they were never *about* partners until RE0 and RE5.

Furthermore, I absolutely love co-op. But I don't want to further bastardize a survival horror series to get it. Put it in the games that won't be fundamentally neutered by its addition.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever they do I hope their titles going forward don't focus on co-op experiences like RE5 unless the title explicitly calls for that type of experience like Outbreak. I've never once played co-op with someone and I've never played a game that had co-op which didn't feel like it impeded on the single player experience. In the case of this series. RE5 immediately comes to mind as I think the single player experience was hindered by the focus on co-op and AI-partner.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would be fine with them sticking with this format or going back to RE7 design for RE8. They both work. The only thing they need to do is make the bosses interesting, in 7 they were terrible and aside from RE4 i can't think of a single RE game that handled bosses well but RE7 managed to be the worst one in this regard, the final boss was a shooting gallery mini game.

Oct 27, 2017
Resident Evil 2 is the best of all Resident Evil worlds.

I can't get my head around anyone who was a fan of the original not digging the atmosphere of this game, and I can't get my head around anyone who liked RE4 or 5 not loving the controls and perspective.

REmake is one of the best games of all time and will always hold a place in my heart but man.. I think this might be the best Resident Evil game on balance, any way you look at it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Resident Evil 2 is the best of all Resident Evil worlds.

I can't get my head around anyone who was a fan of the original not digging the atmosphere of this game, and I can't get my head around anyone who liked RE4 or 5 not loving the controls and perspective.

REmake is one of the best games of all time and will always hold a place in my heart but man.. I think this might be the best Resident Evil game on balance, any way you look at it.

I mean there's absolutely no melee in this game which are big parts of the gameplay in 4 and 5. So that is enough for those fans to not be happy with everything here.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Dino Crisis Remake with Dinosaurs being made by the MHW team.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I really hate this style of Resident Evil a la 6 regardless of the type of enemy you're facing.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
remake 2 is stupid with things like, "oh if i dont have a knife or a granade i wont defend myself and let the zombie bite me in the neck" it is fucking stupid, you should be able to shake the zombie, but capcom is afraid of using QTE anymore because of RE6
Really sucks.
even worse, that you character doesn't step on heads anymore.

and it weren'T even QTEs. you just did press all buttons. lol

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Whatever they do I hope their titles going forward don't focus on co-op experiences like RE5 unless the title explicitly calls for that type of experience like Outbreak. I've never once played co-op with someone and I've never played a game that had co-op which didn't feel like it impeded on the single player experience. In the case of this series. RE5 immediately comes to mind as I think the single player experience was hindered by the focus on co-op and AI-partner.

You've never played RE5 in co-op? It's incredible, and you should really try it sometime. Conversely, I've never played RE5 solo, and I've played through it 6 times with 5 different friends and just recently with my girlfriend, we've all had a blast each time.

If there's any sort of balance to be achieved, it would be Capcom alternating between single player horror RE, and co-op action RE. One is not superior to the other, and they both serve to RE's multiple fanbases.

RE wouldn't be where it is now without 4 and 5, and that kind of gameplay shines in co-op, especially since 4 wasn't even scary, so it's not like there was much horror or tension to lose in transitioning to co-op.

REmake2 is absolutely terrifying and the best horror game I've ever played, but it's not what people who became fans of RE thanks to 4 & 5 ever wanted; it's strictly for the old school RE fans of the late nineties.

I have friends who are die hard 4 and 5 fans, and never played the originals (this is the case with the many, many active RE fans, which some people in this thread aren't considering), and fans of 4 and 5 can't handle REmake2. It's too scary, too difficult, and too frustrating for those that started with 4. It's a different type of game entirely.

TL;DR: There are two main fanbases for RE (with overlap, of course): [Fans since the Late 90's and Early 2000's] and [Fans Since RE4 and 5] and REmake2 caters solely to one of them, while the other is hoping for more of what brought them into the series to begin with.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Easily save the action for Dino Crisis Remake or another old Capcom IP. I think Capcom wants RE to return to horror so making it full action again doesn't appeal to the older fans.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not the most informed here, but isn't RE2 remake following the RE4 formula gameplay wise? If not, what is the difference?

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
RE2 has found my personal favorite balance of elements in the series to date and I would not mind seeing another 1 or 2 games similar to this one, BUT the reason I've been a fan of this series since I encountered RE: Director's Cut in 1997 is because it largely hasn't remained stagnant in my eyes. I think one of the series' strengths has been its constant experimentation with gameplay design, and I want it to eventually take a (somewhat calculated) leap of faith again in the future to prevent this otherwise great formula from getting crusty.

Keep it for now -- it's great -- but don't let it overstay its welcome.

Oct 27, 2017
It really does feel like a good intersection between the old and the new. Going forward I'd like to see them iterate on the format.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You've never played RE5 in co-op? It's incredible, and you should really try it sometime. Conversely, I've never played RE5 solo, and I've played through it 6 times with 5 different friends and just recently with my girlfriend, we've all had a blast each time.

If there's any sort of balance to be achieved, it would be Capcom alternating between single player horror RE, and co-op action RE. One is not superior to the other, and they both serve to RE's multiple fanbases.

RE wouldn't be where it is now without 4 and 5, and that kind of gameplay shines in co-op, especially since 4 wasn't even scary, so it's not like there was much horror or tension to lose in transitioning to co-op.

REmake2 is absolutely terrifying and the best horror game I've ever played, but it's not what people who became fans of RE thanks to 4 & 5 ever wanted; it's strictly for the old school RE fans of the late nineties.

I have friends who are die hard 4 and 5 fans, and never played the originals (this is the case with the many, many active RE fans, which some people in this thread aren't considering), and fans of 4 and 5 can't handle REmake2. It's too scary, too difficult, and too frustrating for those that started with 4. It's a different type of game entirely.

TL;DR: There are two main fanbases for RE (with overlap, of course): [Fans since the Late 90's and Early 2000's] and [Fans Since RE4 and 5] and REmake2 caters solely to one of them, while the other is hoping for more of what brought them into the series to begin with.
No, I don't want to try co-op and I've never had interest in it. Sorry. If it can be done where neither the single nor co-op experience suffers, so be it, but after 4 I never experienced RE that included co-op that didn't feel like its single player suffered as a result. I'm simply not interested in playing with other people. I'm on my own and that's it.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, they did so the next one can be can't see your character camera again with underwhelming sales...

Then R3make...

And let's not forget uninspired Uncharted'esque "Revelations"...

No, I don't think they did, or ever will, especially for the mainline series, since RE6 and 7 *actually* happened...

plateaux

Oct 27, 2017
New England
I see a lot of people trying to nail-down or lock in a "specific formula" for RE. RE2 does a fantastic job at blending the old with the new... it still feels like classic RE, but with modernized camera/controls. I'd be happy with this template going forward for any and all "classic RE" remakes or similar games.

But what I do NOT want is for them to abandon RE7's FP POV simply because RE2 was a success. RE7 was revelatory for the franchise, and it can only get better with 8. I want at least a full 7/8/9 trilogy in FPS + VR. If they went back to third-person ala RE2make for 8, I would honestly be disappointed.

The bottom line is they have a great thing going now, with both formats. Just keep up both! We are on the right track, on both fronts.

What would be TRULY awesome and interesting is if EVERY RE game had all 3 camera perspective options baked-in.
So you could play the entire games in either 1) Third Person OTS, 2) FP POV, or 3) Classic Fixed Camera angles.

mao2

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry OP, but Resident Evil was perfected in 2009 with the release of Resident Evil 5.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I am absolutely LOVING RE2 Remake but honestly I gotta say I think I liked RE7 better.

Scarier, better atmosphere... I loved it.

This. I think RE7 is better too. Better boss Battles, Better Implementation of the Tyrant formula and I would actually say better atmosphere imo. Still love RE2 though. If it has one thing over RE7 it is more consistent level design. It is the best level design in the series imo.