• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
This morning, I woke up and realized I hadn't put my AirPods back in their case before falling asleep. I quickly found the left one on my bed, but the right one has vanished. I've torn the room upside down, checked in the trash, and gone through the laundry. I was wearing both last night. I woke up. One is gone. The only possible explanation is that one of my dogs ate in, but I find that hard to believe for a couple of reasons: A. They're all acting just fine. B. They sleep in crates at night, and I noticed the missing AirPod about an hour after letting them out for the morning (so they would have had to quickly lap it up while I was making oatmeal). C. They're all over 2 years old and don't really chew our stuff any more.

What happened to the AirPod?! It's been driving me crazy all day, so I just ponied up the $70 for a replacement from Apple.

Has anything like this ever happened to you? Sure, losing stuff is a common thing, but have you ever lost something in a way that was impossible to account for the disappearance?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's somewhere in your room, buying a new one so soon was rash.

I once thought I had lost my wallet but it just turned out to be stuck between the couch and side table.

OP
OP
ZeroMaverick

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
It's somewhere in your room.
BUT I've checked every conceivable place. I ripped the sheets and blankets off the beds. I moved the mattress off the frame. I've checked under every piece of furniture. Unless my wife is playing a cruel and expensive joke on me, I cannot fathom where it could have gone.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
BUT I've checked every conceivable place. I ripped the sheets and blankets off the beds. I moved the mattress off the frame. I've checked under every piece of furniture. Unless my wife is playing a cruel and expensive joke on me, I cannot fathom where it could have gone.
If you found the left, the right is in there.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
This happens to the remote all the time. One time we bought a replacement roku remote because we couldn't find it and it resurfaced like a month later.

Can't you remotely find your airpods (if it has any charge left?)

OP
OP
ZeroMaverick

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
This happens to the remote all the time. One time we bought a replacement roku remote because we couldn't find it and it resurfaced like a month later.

Can't you remotely find your airpods (if it has any charge left?)
It happened to my Apple TV remote once! We even moved out of that apartment, and it still didn't show up.

Yeah, you can find them remotely, but the left one had 5% battery left when I found it, so I think the other is dead.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I lost my TV remote and had to order a replacement because it never turned up.

Also, the Philadelphia Experiment.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember browsing the "above top secret" forums when I was a teenager, so the clear explanation is it was a time warp.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Subscribed. Looking forward to its return.

You were visited by the AirPod fairy, expect an apple store voucher to appear under your pillow momentarily.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I remember when I was like 13, I bought this hardback book.

I can't remember what it was called but it was about wolves. Like from the perspective of wolves.
And it came with a small badge with a paw print.

I remember going to bed the same day and then waking up.
And it was gone. Like it never existed.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Could be car key AirPod gnomes?

368d25f64a051c3ff4001ef8bd368bd1.jpg

OP
OP
ZeroMaverick

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I'm really hoping it's not in the dog's poop later today.

Here's some additional details: I had an empty box of crackers that I finished last night and set aside to throw away in the morning. Maybe the AirPod flew in there at some point, but I put on rubber gloves and sifted through the trash.

I had my shoes next to my bed. Maybe it flew onto the shoes and got stuck to like the laces or something, then traveled with me on our morning walk, and fell off outside?

My oldest dog rolls like an alligator. When I let him out this morning, he hopped onto my side of the bed and started rolling furiously. Maybe he kicked it someplace? My room is sparse. A couple of night stands, a dresser, and a wall-mounted TV. As I've explained, I took the blankets and sheets off, moved the mattress off the frame, and checked under and behind every piece of furniture.

The only explanation is that one of the dogs ate it, right?

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Two things: my boxed copy of Windows XP, and my first copy of the game Ripper. Both were in pretty big cardboard boxes and they vanished. I know I might have put Ripper away somewhere because I copied the contents of the CDs on to one DVD for convenience, but there's only a few places I store things, and neither it nor XP are there.

Rubber_Cat

Aug 30, 2019
My desk takes these three inch long black screws to hold the desktop to the side legs. The new place I'd moved into had thin carpet tiles and under those, a concrete floor. While re-building it after moving in one of the screws fell and just straight up vanished into whatever void these things go to.

There were no holes in the wall, and you'd have felt it if it had somehow got under the carpet tiles due to to the concrete flooring, there was nothing else in the room at the time either for it to get lost under. Never did find it and even moving out a year later with the whole room stripped bare there was nothing. Thankfully don't need every single one of them as it's a nice desk.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I lost an M&M last week but I have since located it.

I had a gold chain that was given to me as a gift when I was a teen and my wife had a gold chain that I gave her when dating. By our best recollection we hid these when we were having some remodeling done but since they were not daily drivers, we didn't immediately get them out of the apparently very good hiding spot.

It's possible they were stolen because that happened at one point with other things.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I searched for my phone for a few minutes yesterday before I realized it was in my pocket.

It might be closer than you think.

Dec 30, 2020
Best vanishing I had was an old cell phone that vanished. I knew it had just been recharged and I walked around as others called it, nothing, nothing, no one could actually reach it, floor to floor, nothing.

Turned out earlier it had vibrated, slipped off a workdesk, and slipped neatly into an old lead toolchest that blocked its signal completely. Found it a week later.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I once couldn't find my keys and tore up my apartment. Only to find them right where I had looked before.

I also lost this pin when moving. Swore I put all these pins in this drawer. I emptied the drawer. Somehow I found it years later in the drawer. It has to be something with the brain just ignoring it.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017

Wikiwand - Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 (MH370/MAS370) was an international passenger flight operated by Malaysia Airlines that disappeared from radar on 8 March 2014, while flying from Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Malaysia to its planned destination, Beijing Capital International Airport in...